• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID Autosport - Release Date Trailer - Nintendo Switch

Barnabot

Step into a career as a pro-racer, mastering the world’s fastest cars to win motorsport’s most exciting races, from the hallowed asphalt of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway to the narrow city streets of Barcelona.

Coming September 19 2019.

I hope it's a good port.

stranno

It looks so good.

P2bgI8F.gif

AndrewRyan

Looks great! Here's the track list:

Circuits
Name
Day
Night
Routes
algarve_0_track.jpg
Autódromo do Algarve​
Yes​
Yes​
Sport Circuit
GP Circuit
National Circuit
Club Circuit​
austin_0_track.jpg
Circuit of the Americas​
Yes​
Yes​
GP Circuit
GP Circuit Reversed
National Circuit
National Circuit Reversed
Club Circuit
Club Circuit Reversed​
bathurst_0_track.jpg
Mount Panorama​
Yes​
No​
Motor Racing Circuit
Motor Racing Circuit Reversed​
brands_0_track.jpg
Brands Hatch​
Yes​
Yes​
GP Circuit
GP Circuit Reversed
Indy Circuit
Indy Circuit Reversed
Drift Circuit
Drift Circuit Reversed​
autosport_speedway_0_track.jpg
Autosport Raceway​
Yes​
No​
GP Circuit
Infield Circuit
Oval Circuit
Club Circuit
National Circuit
Drift Circuit
Drift Circuit Reversed​
hockenheim_0_track.jpg
Hockenheimring​
Yes​
Yes​
Grand Prix Course
Motodrom Course
Short Course
Short Course B
Drift Course
Drift Course Reversed​
indianapolis_0_track.jpg
Indianapolis​
Yes​
No​
Sport Circuit
GP Circuit
Oval Circuit
Infield Circuit
North Circuit​
indianapolis_0_track.jpg
Intercity Istanbul Park​
Yes​
No​
Grand Prix Circuit
Intermediate Circuit
Grand Prix Circuit B
Intermedia Circuit B​
jarama_0_track.jpg
Circuito Del Jarama​
Yes​
No​
GP Jarama Circuit
GP Jamara Circuit Reversed​
mont_tremblant_0_track.jpg
Circuit Mont Tremblant​
Yes​
Yes​
Grand Prix Circuit
Grand Prix Circuit Reversed
North Loop
North Loop Reversed
South Loop
South Loop Reversed​
okutama_gp_0_track.jpg
Okutama​
Yes​
Yes​
Grand Circuit
Sprint Circuit
Drift Circuit
Grand Circuit B
Sprint Circuit B
Drift Circuit B​
red_bull_ring_0_track.jpg
Red Bull Ring​
Yes​
No​
GP Circuit
GP Circuit Reversed
South Circuit
South Circuit Reversed
North Circuit
North Circuit Reversed​
sepang_0_track.jpg
Sepang International Circuit​
Yes​
Yes​
GP Circuit
GP Circuit Reversed
North Circuit
North Circuit Reversed
South Circuit
South Circuit Reversed​
spa_francorchamps_0_track.jpg
Spa-Francorchamps​
Yes​
Yes​
GP Circuit
Sportscar
GP Circuit Reversed
Sportscar Reversed​
yas_marina_0_track.jpg
Yas Marina Circuit​
Yes​
Yes​
GP Circuit
Championship Circuit
International Circuit
South Circuit
Paddock Circuit
Drift Circuit
Drift Circuit B​
Cities
Name
Day
Night
Routes
barcelona_0_track.jpg
Barcelona​
Yes​
No​
Memorial Run
Marine Gate
Columbus Bay
Cathedral Pass
Fountain Loop
High Street​
chicago_0_track.jpg
Chicago​
Yes​
No​
The Loop
Underpass Ring
Wabash Run
Riverside
Marina City
Lake Shore Point​
detroit_0_track.jpg
Detroit​
Yes​
No​
Stadium Long
Stadium Short​
dubai_0_track.jpg
Dubai​
Yes​
No​
Al Sufouh Strip
Jumeirah Beach
Nakheel Vista
Hattan Way
Orra Quay Loop
Gulf Approach​
paris_0_track.jpg
Paris​
Yes​
No​
Arc de Triomphe
Avenue de New-York
Circuit de la Seine
Champs Élysées
Pont de L’alma
Le Trocadero​
san_francisco_0_track.jpg
San Francisco​
Yes​
No​
Grand Prix Circuit
Grand Prix Circuit B
Sprint Circuit
Short Circuit
Sprint Circuit B
Short Circuit B​
washington_0_track.jpg
Washington​
Yes​
No​
Grand Prix Circuit
Park Circuit
Street Circuit
Sprint Circuit
Hill Circuit
Spring Circuit B​

Animagic

Banned
I’m getting this. I bought it when I first got my iPad but I hate playing games on it. Switch with actual controls will be quite nice.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
tbh this puppy runs on the ipad pro 2018 model
So you're saying codemasters pulled a small miracle, given that ipad easily outperforms macbooks of the same period? Interesting.

I’m getting this. I bought it when I first got my iPad but I hate playing games on it. Switch with actual controls will be quite nice.
Ditto. There've been some very competent racers on ios/android, and I've been patiently waiting for the day those devs would figure out they're leaving money on the table until they ported to switch.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Wait...digital only? Where's this info from? I was 100% getting this on Switch day one if it was physical, but if it's download only I'll probably get it on PS4. Disappointing.

Daymos

This is exactly what I need on switch! A solid realistic racer. Just give me 30fps/720p and not too much pop up/etc. I don't need miracles here. A portable codemasters racer sounds awesome.

Animagic

Banned
This is exactly what I need on switch! A solid realistic racer. Just give me 30fps/720p and not too much pop up/etc. I don't need miracles here. A portable codemasters racer sounds awesome.
It’s probably going to be 30fps and 900p docked 720p handheld

stranno

It’s probably going to be 30fps and 900p docked 720p handheld
Gameplay in the trailer is 30 frames per second, so yes, thats probably the target framerate.

Not an issue to me. I put like 50+ hours in Test Drive Unlimited and TOCA Race Driver 3 Challenge in Playstation Portable, and both games worked at locked 20 frames per second.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

I'm fine. But this game I'll wait and see the reviews first. I was thinking about picking Xenon Racer instead since it's 9 bucks now on eshop.
Probably don't get Xenon Racer, even at that price. The game is truly broken on Switch and the patches since launch haven't really changed anything by all accounts. I was going to get it myself but watching video reviews has seriously put me off. Same with Rise: race the future.

Barnabot

Probably don't get Xenon Racer, even at that price. The game is truly broken on Switch and the patches since launch haven't really changed anything by all accounts. I was going to get it myself but watching video reviews has seriously put me off. Same with Rise: race the future.
I saw the gameplay of both. Seems like Grid Autosport is the only serious racing games Switch has to offer for now.

BitDust

– Works with the GameCube controller
– HD Rumble support
– Digital only, at least for now
– Performance mode and graphics modes included
– 60 FPS with performance mode
– 30 FPS with graphics mode
– All DLC included
– Initially single-player only
– Multiplayer update in the works

This is a day one for me, specially after reading the 60 fps performance mode option.

blu

60fps framegrab footage (warning: make sure to watch the 1080p60 or 720p60 versions, as the rest may look utterly crappy on some players):

Last edited:

Barnabot

60fps framegrab footage (warning: make sure the watch the 1080p60 or 720p60 versions, as the rest may look utterly crappy on some players):

Be warned that in portable mode it seems it's running in 720p/30fps. I may be wrong and it could be 60fps aswell.

Decisions decisions.

stranno

Be warned that in portable mode it seems it's running in 720p/30fps. I may be wrong and it could be 60fps aswell.

Decisions decisions.
It runs below 30FPS in that video, framerate is all over the place. Of course not a game's problem, phones just suck at video recording.

Barnabot

It runs below 30FPS in that video, framerate is all over the place. Of course not a game's problem, phones just suck at video recording.
That's the only thing keeping me from preordering the game right now. I think Switch could made it playble at 720p/60fps since the game itself is 5 years old.

blu

My preordered copy just unlocked and Brands Hatch took 2h of my sleep time.. Oh wow, hat off to Feral! This is the most competent port of any multiplat I've seen on the switch yet -- plus gyro steering in docked mode (pro pad), plus 30/60fps settings, plus high-res texture pack (free DLC).

Haven't had this much fun with a racer for a very long time.

Last edited:

blu

Sim_mode + RWD + expert_AI - traction_control = spin-me-baby-one-more-time. I can barely finish in top 5 on Brands Hatch. I'm having a blast -- this is proper racing! (tm)

Last edited:

BitDust

I'm really having a great time playing Grid AutoSport on Switch. They probably did the perfect port. I'm playing graphics mode although they did an amazing job adding the 60fps performance one. The reason is that I find the graphics mode to have a more stable framerate and of course more effects/details giving a great sense of speed. But it's so good to have so many options. Anyway I really hope that more racing games will come to Switch by Feral Interactive/Codemasters.

Naibel

Yeah, they clearly didn't half-ass it. It's a legit port of a pretty damn good racer, with both graphical options being very worthwhile additions.

Graphics mode is stunning, I litterally have a 7th gen racer on my pocket. Performance mode is less impressive visually but the (mostly) consistent 60fps is a huge bonus for a racing game.

All in all, I'm having an absolute blast with GRID, and I love the "pick-up and play" nature of it all. I just jump right in during my commute and win some races in the process. I agree though you need to ramp up the difficulty a bit in order to really have fun, but you can change that setting pretty easily.

I preordered it and don't regret it a single second. If your're a sucker for racers like me and you have a Switch, it's a true no-brainer. (y)

Cattlyst

OK...even though I already played it to death on 360 and swore I wouldn't pay for it again on switch...I couldn't help myself. And I'm extremely impressed with the port on switch. Looks great, plays just as good as the 360 version even without analogue triggers.

blu

I’m using the right stick as gas and brake, what is everyone else doing?
Standard controls?
Who is using tilt controls? Lol

Multiplayer update is gonna be 🔥
I'm using gyro for steering. I'm allergic to stick/d-pad steering ; ) Especially when during replays I see those wheels move as if on a shopping cart.

Seriously, though, gyro is next best thing after a proper steering wheel. Speaking of which, it'd be soo nice if there was a FF one working with GRID on switch one day..

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I'm using gyro for steering. I'm allergic to stick/d-pad steering ; ) Especially when during replays I see those wheels move as a shopping cart's.

Seriously, though, gyro is next best thing after a proper steering wheel. Speaking of which, it'd be soo nice if there was a FF one working with GRID on switch one day..
I’ll have to give it a try. I normally don’t like that but when you are having to do precision subtle turns it sounds like it would be better

-Arcadia-

Banned
Picked this up with the Lite and Link’s Awakening (which I am loving), and I’m really digging it.

I was a little uncertain about the acceleration problem courtesy of Nintendo not really designing their shoulder buttons for most racers, but after giving the R-stick method a try, I liked it more than I thought I would.

Some people seem to be getting along fine with digital, but being able to precisely control acceleration and braking headed into and out of a corner is something I really enjoy with these games. A big breakthrough moment was realizing it’s essentially mirrored Halo vehicle controls, and Ive always been fine with those. 😋

The game itself is fantastic, from what I’ve played. The entire visual package on the Lite’s screen and size is just a jaw-dropper, and I’m sure no less impressive no matter where you played it. Likewise, it just feels so good to finally get a sim on portable for the first time since PSP, and this seems to be one of the better ones.

This may be a last-gen, 2014 port, but frankly, it may have been an inspired decision to port this, instead of force-feeding this year’s Grid to the Switch, likely with framerate, resolution, and visual cuts. I do love an ambitious port, but when it comes to sim racing, those kinds of cuts could seriously impact your ability to compete and read the track. Here, we have 1080p Docked, 720p portable, the performance of your choice, and a beautiful game anyway. Win win.

Naibel

Likewise, it just feels so good to finally get a sim on portable for the first time since PSP, and this seems to be one of the better ones.

This may be a last-gen, 2014 port, but frankly, it may have been an inspired decision to port this, instead of force-feeding this year’s Grid to the Switch, likely with framerate, resolution, and visual cuts.

Yeah you're right ! The last time I was this impressed by a handheld racer, was with Gran Turismo PSP ten years ago. It was a wasted opportunity of a game, with its lack of GT mode, but it still was a real technical showpiece.

30681120090917_094405_3_big.jpg

And before that, it was Ridge Racer at the PSP launch in '04. We were coming right out of the GBA, so when I watched the game running for the first time, my jaw utterly dropped.

maxresdefault.jpg

GRID Autosport on Switch is the closest I felt relieving that same experience.

You're also right about them making the right call of porting a 7th gen game. There's no downgrade, no cutbacks, it's the same thing, if not slightly better. And it's still a looker to this day, so in that sense, Feral made the right choice. Now Feral, port DIRT 3 in my Switch pleeeaase !

Top Bottom