• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gridlee launches on iOS | Free MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)

Well, they're setup how I want the controls, you may want them different... Just go configure SFA3 then copy paste the contents of its cfg into the other fighting games' cfg (everything below the system name which is sfa3 in that case).

Then do one for a KoF and put it in the other SNK fighting games, etc.

It should work as the former all use 6 buttons (well, except things like Super Gem Fighter, it has 3 iirc) and the latter all 4.

Then do the same for side scrolling action games, beat 'em ups, etc, which mostly all use 2 or 3 buttons (though there are exceptions like the Dungeons & Dragons games and other such things).

Edit: also, no, I haven't tested it with iCade yet, maybe the buttons it uses are all weird instead, or they're all new inputs.

I've really been trying to set a 6 button layout and it just seems to not allow it. Is it because Im on iphone4s possibly? I only see in the setting as 1-4 button, all and auto. I've tried everything and it still only gives me 4 buttons for Xmen CotA.

The steps I am taking are : start game, press options and it opens the iphone looking menu and I then set full sreen on and try to change full screen buttons to ALL and i still only have 4 showing.

Any help greatly appreciated! I wanna do some combos!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
All = 6 buttons for me. Also, again, it automatically does 6 buttons when loading a game that uses them if set to auto (as default) and you can configure what each does from there. I don't know about iPhone but in my settings it shows up to 4 then all. Here's a screenshot in HSF2 with it auto-showing 6 and one in Grindlee where I set it to show all buttons manually, when it normally has one. Are you sure the game you're using has 6 buttons, you're not trying to play KoF here are you?

ibmhysMxrPeVWt.PNG

iHClaVrAFvs4f.PNG

Giard

Thanks! Still had iMAME on my iPhone.

edit: I'm not seeing any options button, is it because I haven't added any ROMs yet?

All = 6 buttons for me. Also, again, it automatically does 6 buttons when loading a game that uses them if set to auto (as default) and you can configure what each does from there. I don't know about iPhone but in my settings it shows up to 4 then all. Here's a screenshot in HSF2 with it auto-showing 6 and one in Grindlee where I set it to show all buttons manually, when it normally has one. Are you sure the game you're using has 6 buttons, you're not trying to play KoF here are you?

Nope it's x-men cota, and your layout looks a lot different than mine. I do not see the two L/R buttons on my screen at all.

Alexios

Ok must be the iPhone then. Play SNK fighting games, they do 4 button setups :p

An issue I've encountered is some games don't throttle right, space harrier seems too fast and also hsf2 when at speed 1.

A work around you can do is to configure the 3rd and 6th buttons as 1 + 2 and 3 + 4 respectively but then obviously you can't do any normal combinations that may require such depending on the game. But for some games it should be ok.

ToD_

I must be doing something wrong or missing something. Using ifunbox, when I try to copy any file to the Gridlee folder nothing happens. No files appear. Using iTools it gives me an error message: "error while copying".

Alexios

I must be doing something wrong or missing something. Using ifunbox, when I try to copy any file to the Gridlee folder nothing happens. No files appear. Using iTools it gives me an error message: "error while copying".
Copy in my documents/roms folder, ppl say main app folder is protected but you don't use it for this anyway.

Gaf doesn't recognise iPad's opposite of / after submitting the post hence the / above, weird.

Reynx

I get the message "selected game missing one or more required ROM or CHD images" when trying to launch a game. Are my ROMS just shitty?

Alexios

Yes, you need roms for the mame version it's based on.

If it's neogeo you need to bundle the bios files with each game, the app doesn't look for it in the same folder like mame does on pc.

Li Kao

Mhh, looks like the ghosting issue only appears when in portrait mode.
Anybody confirms or am I the only one experiencing it ? (A huge transparent stick on screen when in portrait mode).

But well, appart from that the emu works great and really makes the purchase of an android tablet for emulation purpose a tempting thought.

Tain

Kind of makes me wish this build were a MESS/MAME merge. It would be nice to throw a bunch of SRPGs on there, since playing a reasonably challenging arcade game with virtual buttons is pretty silly.

Space Harrier is kinda neat though!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yes, you need roms for the mame version it's based on.

If it's neogeo you need to bundle the bios files with each game, the app doesn't look for it in the same folder like mame does on pc.

How do you do that?
Although I've read that iMAME's Neo-Geo emulation is better.

Btw, how's Metal Slug 3 on the appstore (I mean performance of course, not the game itself)? I've bought Raiden Fighter Aces collection from the same guys (DotEmu) and it was pretty good and with iCade support.

Aaron

is it possible to use a bluetooth keyboard as a controller?
Technically yes. icade is just sending key commands, but those keys are oddly placed on a normal keyboard, and would give you hand cramps to do it probably.

Kind of makes me wish this build were a MESS/MAME merge. It would be nice to throw a bunch of SRPGs on there, since playing a reasonably challenging arcade game with virtual buttons is pretty silly.

Space Harrier is kinda neat though!
Capcom's D&D games work now. That's at least RPGish.

I'm using this to play games at work:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Great for the most part, but tricky for 6 button fighters since the buttons are oddly assigned.

ss_lemonade

My experience so far:

There's a minor issue with neogeo games because apparently it doesn't look for the bios in the same folder so you have to bundle the bios with every game (it should be a small file so no big deal). Look for instructions on how to do it if you have any.
The app saw the bios file fine for me. Maybe you have a different bios version?

So far after a quick test, neogeo and cps2 games seem to work perfect for me on my ipad 4. They worked perfect on my s3 with mame4droid reloaded and I believe this mame4ios is based on the same version so yeah, smooth performance had to be expected with the better hardware of the ipad

Rat Salad

Banned
Abit off topic but is there a program that would make my older set of roms work with this version of Mame? The roms I havev are old, they dont work with this version of Mame. The thing is I sometimes hear some talk about recompiling roms? But I have no idea what that even means as I dont really get my hands dirty with Mame other than playing a few games occasionaly. Oh and has anyone tried Virtua Racing with Gridlee? How's the performance? I'd lke to try it on my Ipad4.

Alexios

How do you do that?
Unzip the bios and dump the files in the rom zip I would guess.

Btw, how's Metal Slug 3 on the appstore (I mean performance of course, not the game itself)? I've bought Raiden Fighter Aces collection from the same guys (DotEmu) and it was pretty good and with iCade support.
It's pretty good too, iCade is not supported officially but works fine, you just have to launch the game, exit to the dashboard, and bring it in focus again and it works.

Alexios

Mhh, looks like the ghosting issue only appears when in portrait mode.
Anybody confirms or am I the only one experiencing it ? (A huge transparent stick on screen when in portrait mode).

But well, appart from that the emu works great and really makes the purchase of an android tablet for emulation purpose a tempting thought.
Read the thread guys, it's not that big yet.
There is an issue when changing from landscape to portrait with fullscreen mode on where the stick's art becomes huge and so covers most of the screen. This only happens with skin A, the other skins work fine regardless of fullscreen setting.
So, either use a different skin layout, or turn fullscreen for portrait mode off. I wish there was a fix too, since Layout A is the one I prefer, but people say the main app folder is protected from edits and that's the folder that seems to hold the layout files.

Alexios

The app saw the bios file fine for me. Maybe you have a different bios version?
Maybe the roms you have have it bundled already?

I googled about it and my assumption seemed correct since I found related posts.

But it's cool if it can work without that, but at least there's a work around for those it doesn't.

Edit: ugh, sorry for triple posting, I meant to edit at least the second post but mispressed submit before copy pasting...

Tain

Abit off topic but is there a program that would make my older set of roms work with this version of Mame? The roms I havev are old, they dont work with this version of Mame. The thing is I sometimes hear some talk about recompiling roms? But I have no idea what that even means as I dont really get my hands dirty with Mame other than playing a few games occasionaly. Oh and has anyone tried Virtua Racing with Gridlee? How's the performance? I'd lke to try it on my Ipad4.

http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

clrmamepro does what you're looking for. At least, it does the best job it can. If a romset has been dumped better and you have an older version of it you're SOL, but if the MAME team just reorganized the filenames clrmamepro can update them.

Li Kao

Read the thread guys, it's not that big yet.
So, either use a different skin layout, or turn fullscreen for portrait mode off. I wish there was a fix too, since Layout A is the one I prefer, but people say the main app folder is protected from edits and that's the folder that seems to hold the layout files.

Oh god I'm sincerely sorry for that. I must have skimmed though the thread a little too lightly. In a short period of time I browsed the Toucharcade thread, the iOS thread to see if the app was discussed, and this OT, should have slowed down a bit.

Sorry again, Alex ! :-S

Geniuzz

I have downloaded it and iFileExpress, grabbed a few roms, dragged and dropped in the folder, but none of them seem to work. Will Look into it later, there must be something I am doing wrong. Also I have an Iphone 4, are there roms that don't work for this one?

Got it to work after all! Woo!!!

suikodan

Glad to see this app and I did try it on my iPad2. I was already familiar with this with iMame that came before so it's nice to see "an update" of some sort.

I have also an iPhone 4s and I can't wait to try it out with the iCade Mobile.

Fezan

getting error the selected game is missing one or more required rom or chd images....have tried multiple games

Li Kao

Just thinking aloud here but, as upon launching the app I have been immediately convinced by the pure ohmygod potential of emulation on a tablet...

- Evidently if you want to use the full potential of emulation on iOS you need to be jailbroken (no updates for the 'official' version, kind of a deal-breaker IMHO).
- And ideally, I would thing that a beefy Android tablet would be the best choice for that sort of thing.

But... wouldn't it be possible on iOS to use a remote desktop app for emulation gaming ? The PC doing all the work and the tablet getting the streaming goodness ?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Just thinking aloud here but, as upon launching the app I have been immediately convinced by the pure ohmygod potential of emulation on a tablet...

- Evidently if you want to use the full potential of emulation on iOS you need to be jailbroken (no updates for the 'official' version, kind of a deal-breaker IMHO).
- And ideally, I would thing that a beefy Android tablet would be the best choice for that sort of thing.

But... wouldn't it be possible on iOS to use a remote desktop app for emulation gaming ? The PC doing all the work and the tablet getting the streaming goodness ?

Not @ 60hz

On iPhone4, there is slowdown in games like Wonderboy.. mostly in the sound emulation.

Can it run stuff like Outrun well on an iPhone 5?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
getting error the selected game is missing one or more required rom or chd images....have tried multiple games

Your ROMs are outdated, get ones that work on MAME 0.139u1. Pain in the ass but this happens all the time when you try a new version of MAME.

Alexios

I'm surprised and glad this isn't removed yet. Maybe Apple doesn't care since you can't officially convert it to anything else? I wonder if we could be getting MAME updates through updates of this game. Though I don't know the developer intentions, maybe a future update will lock it down so you can't use it as MAME, so no day 1 updates for me.

With further testing there are lots of games that don't run well on iPad2 when they should, being much more primitive and simplistic than games it can do perfectly. I guess emulation of their hardware is behind others. I also read that after a certain version MAME dropped some speed optimizations so if someone put up an older version instead for iOS it would perform better but have lesser compatibility. But all the released so far are way past that. But there are many games that work fine so it's ok.

I'm running into issues where the roms I have from my GGPO set up seem to work fine but when I find others to download mame always fails when loading. Anyone have any clue what's up?

Oh well I can't quite figure out why some work and some don't but I got AvP and Dungeons and Dragons working real well.

Now if only I could figure out why certain shmups like Battle Garegga are having issues.

ss_lemonade

Maybe the roms you have have it bundled already?

I googled about it and my assumption seemed correct since I found related posts.
That can't be it because the roms weren't working initially due to me forgetting to transfer over the bios file.

potential of emulation on a tablet...
Android does a better job at emulation I believe. You don't even need to be rooted. For example, my s3 can emulate a ton of stuff (all the way up to n64/ps1/mame) and even supports plugging in a usb controller/stick no probs.

Alexios

Can someone link me the windows version of mame 0.139u1? The plain one, not UI, Plus etc. I can't seem to find it, only 139 is on the official site's previous releases and it doesn't seem to recognize all the roms so I guess it's different. I guess that 139u1 was a source update only, but surely someone somewhere compiled windows binaries out of it. I just want to have the same on my PC to be able to test compatibility and what not without transferring to the iPad.

That can't be it because the roms weren't working initially due to me forgetting to transfer over the bios file.
Then I have no clue, if the bios was wrong in my case then surely the games wouldn't work even after bundling it within them, it would still think it's missing all the same files that it didn't want when I put the bios on its own in the roms folder.

When connecting the iCade the virtual inputs disappear (if set to fullscreen) automatically. Then you can do everything with the iCade except go to the emulator options/exit game etc which you do by tapping anywhere on the screen. Slick.

By default the two red buttons are Coin/Start and two white buttons are what you use to pick the various emulator GUI stuff. Ie, the top white will select the game, the bottom white will go to the favorite/delete options for the game. I don't know if you can remap that function of the white buttons but it's of course separate from the in game functions anyway so it's fine.

Although I have an issue where while randomly playing the app will suddenly pop up the save state where question thing. I have no idea what combination of buttons does this and I couldn't find anything about disabling it in the options. Does anyone know how you bring it up by default, is it bound to a combination of keys and can it be unbound, I searched a random game's input options (did it anyway to configure them all how I wanted) but didn't see anything related.

Kodiak33

Neo Member
Do you guys know if you can pair the Wiimote with Gridlee?

I didn't see an option for it anywhere, just the iCade.

Top Bottom