• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Maledict

Downloading now, woot! Definitely going Inquisitior as my first mastery, no idea what to pair it with though. Dual pistols is just too tempting.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So how's this game compared to poe? Do you hit a wall and have to go to some outside site to hawk gear or can you actually do end game stuff by actually playing the game and getting gear?

The class/constellation system looks real neat.

Purkake4

Banned
So how's this game compared to poe? Do you hit a wall and have to go to some outside site to hawk gear or can you actually do end game stuff by actually playing the game and getting gear?

You can totally finish off the hardest difficulty with picked up gear, if you put some effort into building your character, defense is important to keep the end from being frustrating. Totally doable though.

No outside sites for gear AFAIK.

The closest thing to an external site where you get gear is from the official game forums where you can download a character save that has all the non pre/suffix gear. It's fun to experiment with to test something out, but self-found is usually more fun and except for a few item dependent builds you shouldn't have too much trouble making it through the game. Any time I'd run into a wall it was due to low resistances which I could solve with a couple items slotted with appropriate components.

Purkake4

Banned
The closest thing to an external site where you get gear is from the official game forums where you can download a character save that has all the non pre/suffix gear. It's fun to experiment with to test something out, but self-found is usually more fun and except for a few item dependent builds you shouldn't have too much trouble making it through the game. Any time I'd run into a wall it was due to low resistances which I could solve with a couple items slotted with appropriate components.
And there's also pretty much unlimited respec, granted you're willing to go and smash some crystals.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome thx. I'll try this tonight then. Is there a wiki or YouTube guide for beginners? I kinda wanna try necro but they seem gear dependant.

Cracklox

Just spent 20 mins emptying all my rare crafting mats into stash. So good....

EC6BFCA82F7D1A42D1826466DF11AAA72B5C5478

There's a fairly small trading community as I understand, but nothing in game. All done via threads on the official forums or reddit I believe.

I've played self found the whole time, and in 1800 hours am still missing some stuff but it's totally do-able. Purple drops are rare enough that it feels pretty good when they drop too.
Until you start getting inordinate amount of dupes ;)

I've said here a few times recently, but endgame is really re-rolling another toon and mucking around with another build anyway. There's so much potential for theorycrafting, it can get pretty overwhelming. I've got like 18 level 85's and there's still other builds I wanted to do, but now the expac is out, they'll be on the backburner for a while, while inquis and necro get played around with.

As for PoE, outside of being an isometric ARPG loot hack n slasher, their pretty different things. PoE (obviously) being F2P has far more focus on the communtiy/multiplayer aspect, and it's largely designed around trading to get BiS gear. I don't have anywhere near as much time on that, but in 100 or 2 hours on it, I'm not sure I had any legendaries drop that was of use to what I playing. Also, fuck the rng in that game. Fucking amount of sockets, links and right colored sockets amongst everything else...

And the devotion system is great. IMO 10x better then PoEs which is kinda like one big stat stick for the most part (the ascension stuff is pretty good though). There's an element of stat sticking in GDs as well, but all the abilities you can unlock and bind to you regular powers is pretty damn cool. The way some work better with certain powers and trying to find optimum setups is a heap of fun.

Anyway you should try it at least
while waiting for the other PoE to drop in a few weeks ;)

I've said here a few times recently, but endgame is really re-rolling another toon and mucking around with another build anyway. There's so much potential for theorycrafting, it can get pretty overwhelming. I've got like 18 level 85's and there's still other builds I wanted to do, but now the expac is out, they'll be on the backburner for a while, while inquis and necro get played around with.

I actually just wiped out all my saves because I want to start 100% fresh for the expansion. No grabbing gear I earned on previous characters.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I figured necro is too new to know much about. Thx I'll have a look when I get home and see what classes I wanna try.

Redshirt

Banned
I've only been playing for about 30 minutes, but my technical issues are gone.

I didn't even have to set core affinities. Smooth as a baby's ass. Really happy right now!

Purkake4

Banned
I've only been playing for about 30 minutes, but my technical issues are gone.

I didn't even have to set core affinities. Smooth as a baby's ass. Really happy right now!
Probably the best feature. It was a bit sad to have it chug on the loot tables when opening bigger chests.

Kadin

I actually just wiped out all my saves because I want to start 100% fresh for the expansion. No grabbing gear I earned on previous characters.
I'm thinking about doing this as well. I always hoard gear for alts but I really enjoy finding new stuff as I level. It's a hard habit to get out of though.

Cracklox

If anyone else's performance went to shite after the patch try this

New Renderer Common Issues
Rest assured that top men are absorbing any and all reports and making sure any issues that arise are resolved as soon as possible.

That said, for anyone having issues launching the game after the latest V1.0.2.0 update or have experienced problems with visuals or loss of FPS, please try the following:

1) Verify Game Files in Steam
2) Run Repair.exe located in your Grim Dawn install folder.

If neither of those work, add "/d3d9" to your launch options for the game.

How to set Launch Options:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1040-JWMT-2947

If none of these solutions work, please continue to report your issues with as much detailed info as possible, including system specs if possible.

Thank you and apologies if you are stuck instead of enjoying the new content.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56626

Adding the launch option fixed it for me

Forward

I just beat The Master of Flesh, on Ultimate, without a single upgraded piece of EQ from my Vanilla build.

Oh well.

The loot is all. Time to start farming, again.

Lanrutcon

The Necro seems more like a support tree. You use it to support a melee, caster or pet build...but it's not the primary. If that bone spike skill didn't have a cooldown I'd make a build around it, but meh. The skeletons are pretty frail and can't be controlled, so they're more like an aura.

Cracklox

The Necro seems more like a support tree. You use it to support a melee, caster or pet build...but it's not the primary. If that bone spike skill didn't have a cooldown I'd make a build around it, but meh. The skeletons are pretty frail and can't be controlled, so they're more like an aura.

Still yet to jump in so can't comment first hand. But just looking at their skill tree, and the amount of lifesteal they have, that will surely lead to some strong melee, necro focused builds that pop up.

Also, does pet attack not count as being able to control your pets?

Lanrutcon

Still yet to jump in so can't comment first hand. But just looking at their skill tree, and the amount of lifesteal they have, that will surely lead to some strong melee, necro focused builds that pop up.

Also, does pet attack not count as being able to control your pets?

I mean in terms of setting their stance (Aggressive, defensive, whatever).

The ranged skeletons, for example, have a tiny aggro radius making them horrible unless manually controlled. Meanwhile the melee ones are hyper aggressive. The "attack" command is more like a suggestion, so in a mass melee the idea that your poison undead tank thing holds aggro and your skeletons kill things quickly disappears. There's a cooldown on the skeleton summons (and it only summons 3) so skeletons are already frail and tough to replace on the fly on Normal. Bosses absolutely destroy them.

Maledict

It’s worth remembering that Grimdawn has a *ridiculous* number of devotions and items for pet builds. You’re definitely not suppossed to be viable with pets without investing in those devotions and abilities - they do provide huge buffs to pets, even the cheap devotions.

Cracklox

I mean in terms of setting their stance (Aggressive, defensive, whatever).

The ranged skeletons, for example, have a tiny aggro radius making them horrible unless manually controlled. Meanwhile the melee ones are hyper aggressive. The "attack" command is more like a suggestion, so in a mass melee the idea that your poison undead tank thing holds aggro and your skeletons kill things quickly disappears. There's a cooldown on the skeleton summons (and it only summons 3) so skeletons are already frail and tough to replace on the fly on Normal. Bosses absolutely destroy them.

Hmmm. Playing around on grimtools, shows the undead legion skill adds up to 5 skelies plus lowers the cooldown. I can't really see what you get from ultimate ranks, but i'd be tipping another 1 or 2. Also, like any pet build you're going to need some gear with pet health, damage OA, DA and later, resists to make them properly effective.

Though re-reading I see you specify on normal, so investing in them properly is prob a little tough at that point. Still, I'm confident they'll come into their own with some ranks across the 3 skills, and some supporting gear.

Oh, and that is odd that you can't specify a stance for them.

Lanrutcon

Hmmm. Playing around on grimtools, shows the undead legion skill adds up to 5 skelies plus lowers the cooldown. I can't really see what you get from ultimate ranks, but i'd be tipping another 1 or 2. Also, like any pet build you're going to need some gear with pet health, damage OA, DA and later, resists to make them properly effective.

Though re-reading I see you specify on normal, so investing in them properly is prob a little tough at that point. Still, I'm confident they'll come into their own with some ranks across the 3 skills, and some supporting gear.

Oh, and that is odd that you can't specify a stance for them.

I think Legion adds to the maximum, but doesn't add to the number summoned per cast, btw.

You only get 3 per cast, regardless of your maximum.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bought the xpac because I'd been fucking around with DAIL pet classes lately because vanilla was so sorely lacking in that department (at least to what I consider a proper summoner), the prospect of redoing act 1 (I was midway through act 2 in DAIL, I never really played GD much even tho I had it for ages) was kinda terrifying but all is well.

I'm absolutely loving the necromancer, I'm steamrolling through veteran normal which I'm sure some would frown upon but to me it's fun as shit. Did all of act 1 including quests and shrines in one 4 hour sitting and hit level 20something lol.

Maxed skellies with maxed passive for more skellies, maxed fat golem so I'm rolling around with a deathball of 8 skellies and a golem that just destroy everything. Maxed skellies summon mages with ridiculous aoe and the golem is a beast. When skellies die, like one or two I immediately summon 3 so I always have 8 up unless it's some nasty combo of elites. Putting some points into occultist now for bird and the dog.

Having a blast, hopefully I won't hit the usual "oops pets do fuck all dmg now and die in 2 hits" snag later on that most these games do :(

I think Legion adds to the maximum, but doesn't add to the number summoned per cast, btw.

Correct.

Cracklox

I see. That makes sense that legion of the dead lowers cooldown then with more ranks

Bought the xpac because I'd been fucking around with DAIL pet classes lately because vanilla was so sorely lacking in that department (at least to what I consider a proper summoner), the prospect of redoing act 1 (I was midway through act 2 in DAIL, I never really played GD much even tho I had it for ages) was kinda terrifying but all is well.

I'm absolutely loving the necromancer, I'm steamrolling through veteran normal which I'm sure some would frown upon but to me it's fun as shit. Did all of act 1 including quests and shrines in one 4 hour sitting and hit level 20something lol.

Maxed skellies with maxed passive for more skellies, maxed fat golem so I'm rolling around with a deathball of 8 skellies and a golem that just destroy everything. Maxed skellies summon mages with ridiculous aoe and the golem is a beast. When skellies die, like one or two I immediately summon 3 so I always have 8 up unless it's some nasty combo of elites. Putting some points into occultist now for bird and the dog.

Having a blast, hopefully I won't hit the usual "oops pets do fuck all dmg now and die in 2 hits" snag later on that most these games do :(

Correct.

Be sure to pick up and learn to love curse of frailty from occultist. It really is one of the best skills in the game. Spammable debuff in a big area that can proc devotions like crazy. And steamrolling normal is all I ever want to do when I play through it now. Just rush through grabbing all the shrines and quests so you can get to the meat of the game. When you've rolled as many toons as I have, it's the only way. I can bowl over a normal playthrough in about 6-7 hours these days so it's not so bad

As to your last point, it shouldn't happen when you're geared properly (easier said then done). Though by ultimate you really need to take pet resists into account, which can be tricky to come by, while maintaining your own survivability.

Lanrutcon

That... looks like it should be pretty effective. Getting all that gear together might take some time though. Especially those greens. And that new relic looks perfect for my battlemage I've been messing around with lately too.

Also, 109% life steal! I... don't think it's working that out properly unless I'm missing something

I think the calc is still buggy, what with the new item skill modifiers and stuff.

Cracklox

Actually now I think about it, you had it displayed with temp buffs up, and you were running ghoulish hunger.... That'll make up a big chunk

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Can't wait for someone to build a ridiculous Necro pet build to run! I started my first melee centric character last night and am loving it. Game is SO good.

Lanrutcon

Can't wait for someone to build a ridiculous Necro pet build to run! I started my first melee centric character last night and am loving it. Game is SO good.

I am actually waiting for a bone spike build using the necro. It just looks like such a cool skill...just needs some finessing. Someone brighter than me will figure something out.

Cracklox

For folks doing necro summoner builds. I just found this over at the official forums. It shows the odds for summoning each skellie type depending on the skills rank. I didn't realise going into ultimate ranks can give you revenants. Fuck. Yeah.

Hopefully the enemies find them as annoying as I do

1KPBNH9.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
they do Crack...they do lol.

Be sure to pick up and learn to love curse of frailty from occultist. It really is one of the best skills in the game. Spammable debuff in a big area that can proc devotions like crazy. And steamrolling normal is all I ever want to do when I play through it now. Just rush through grabbing all the shrines and quests so you can get to the meat of the game. When you've rolled as many toons as I have, it's the only way. I can bowl over a normal playthrough in about 6-7 hours these days so it's not so bad

As to your last point, it shouldn't happen when you're geared properly (easier said then done). Though by ultimate you really need to take pet resists into account, which can be tricky to come by, while maintaining your own survivability.

aye, I want to invest on the dog next because I remember it being good when I tried occultist (and its another pet), but I think ill actually leave the bird as 1 pointer for now (I really just wanted the visual of another pet lol) and start looking at actual spells to use aswell, so far I have zero :3

Mulgrok

Additional ranks for skeletons seems to be readily available on rare items. I am at +9 to skeletons after just clearing homestead missions in normal. That includes a couple +all necromancy skills epic items.

Lanrutcon

The female and me will be cooping this through the weekend. My Tactician is already doing pretty swell. First time I've done the Crucible, and it seems fantastic for devotion points.

Cracklox

The female and me will be cooping this through the weekend. My Tactician is already doing pretty swell. First time I've done the Crucible, and it seems fantastic for devotion points.

Crucibles good for a jump start for them. The cost increases exponentially though. I usually just grab 10, after that they go to 10 per point which gets a little much. And they only get more expensive from there.

You still really need the campaign anyway for faction rep amongst other things, but getting those 10 points along with the xp, makes the early part of the campaign that much more bearable. You can then knock over the 8 shrines in act 1 in an hour or so that way too.

Rhaknar

I am so fucking into this holy shit. Lvl 39 now, my pet deathball continues it's path of destruction. Decided to drop my occultist hellhound points so I could get 50 mastery on necro faster, and get the wraith spell. Its awesome! Think I'll leave the hellhound at 1 for now and start putting points into both the wrath and the necro pet dmg buff toggle.

At least with the wrath I finally have a spell to cast occasionally lol.

Cracklox

Just cleared the regular content on a veteran run with an infiltrator at level 50. Holy shit is it strong so far. Like, a little overtuned even
I did die once though in the 30s to some dumb shit, not paying attention
. Any bosses that allow you to set up at all, you can basically one shot by putting down 4 or 5 traps. I gotta say, it's pretty spectacularly hilarious. Even noted dickheads like Lucius melted in seconds. Now to see how well it scales into the higher difficulties.

I am so fucking into this holy shit. Lvl 39 now, my pet deathball continues it's path of destruction. Decided to drop my occultist hellhound points so I could get 50 mastery on necro faster, and get the wraith spell. Its awesome! Think I'll leave the hellhound at 1 for now and start putting points into both the wrath and the necro pet dmg buff toggle.

At least with the wrath I finally have a spell to cast occasionally lol.

Wait till you start getting your hands on some of the better summoner gear. It really kicks things up a notch. Also cough, CoF, cough. Every occultist build ever uses it. I'm sure it'll have a home with Cabalist builds as well. And blood of dreeg is a must too. It's a heal, damage, and OA buff for you and all pets, with easy 100% uptime on the buffs

Rhaknar

what is CoF again?

I need to start investing into "spells" after im done putting points into necro's wraith/pet buff exclusive aura

Maledict

what is CoF again?

I need to start investing into "spells" after im done with necro wraith/bet buff exclusive aura points.

Curse of frailty. The spammable curse at the start of the occultist tree that lowers defenses and movement speed. It’s really strong all the time, and especially for a zookeeper build.

Rhaknar

Transition between vanilla and ashes content is quite seamless, just goes right into it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did they make dynamite easier to find? Seems like I've always got an extra stick or two on me now (which is super nice).

Cracklox

Did they make dynamite easier to find? Seems like I've always got an extra stick or two on me now (which is super nice).

Yeah it drops in lots of areas from crates, scrap piles, chests etc. Usually mines and underground areas and the like. There's also set spawn points per session for them, like the three on the way to Cronley.

In fact thats the best way to farm dynamite. Start at the rover camp and head north to the mines. Go through there, and then go through the rest of four hills to cronleys lair. There are 2 guaranteed spawns on the way, Cronleys has another not far before the boss fight which is hard to miss. Also find and kill moneybags martin. He's always good for one if not 2. Then open chests, check scrap piles etc, and if rng is friendly you might net another 2 or 3 more.

If your lucky you can get 10 or so dynamites for about that many minutes work

Rhaknar

you only get 2 points per level after hitting level 50?

this_is_bullshit_the_wire.gif

Rhaknar

so was talking to a friend who is a big GD fan, and I realised im kinda playign the game wrong. Im very big on maxing out skills, mostly because im very ocd when I see 14/16 in a skill or something (this drags back all the way to vanilla wow for example), but it seems its much better to have even 1 pointers in other skills, like passives and shit, than maxing out a skill. For example I noticed the big fat golem has 2 passives that increase his threat among other things, its probably or the best to have at least 1 point in those instead of having maxed golem for little benifits in those last few points.

Which makes total sense, even 1 point gives initial benefits like 10% to something, and with items that give points, that 1 point could be 4 points or something. I really need to change my mindset and respec more apropriatly.

Cracklox

you only get 2 points per level after hitting level 50?

Heh. I said the exact same

Finally made it to the new content. L44 Cabalist. Really enjoying necromancer.

I got through it yesterday. Pretty meaty. Went from 50 to 62. I gotta say, it's a bit of a difficulty bump though. Had a few deaths to some pretty crazy situations. I'm back in act 2 of elite now, and elites been a breeze compared to the new acts on normal. That said, the last guy in the new content was a pushover. Even normal Log can take a few punches, but this guy didn't.

Hoping he puts up more of a fight in Ultimate.

Top Bottom