• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Should totally change the thread subtitle...

Yeah, sorry. I meant to PM a mod sooner but I just got a dog this week and between him and work I hadn't gotten around to it. I can't change it myself so I just PM'd a mod to update it. If someone has something more creative they'd like to suggest I'm more than happy to have it changed to that.

Hopefully I'll get some time this next week to play some. I finally picked up the game today as my replacement CC arrived.

so was talking to a friend who is a big GD fan, and I realised im kinda playign the game wrong. Im very big on maxing out skills, mostly because im very ocd when I see 14/16 in a skill or something (this drags back all the way to vanilla wow for example), but it seems its much better to have even 1 pointers in other skills, like passives and shit, than maxing out a skill. For example I noticed the big fat golem has 2 passives that increase his threat among other things, its probably or the best to have at least 1 point in those instead of having maxed golem for little benifits in those last few points.

Which makes total sense, even 1 point gives initial benefits like 10% to something, and with items that give points, that 1 point could be 4 points or something. I really need to change my mindset and respec more apropriatly.

It's not wrong exactly, it has to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Passives usually are good to get. Some classes like arcanists have great active skills to have 1 point in (mirror, nullification) no matter what build you make. But even some passives are potentially a complete waste like (again, arcanist) fabric of reality if you have no aether or chaos damage to speak of.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
difficulty spike in Ashes is kinda silly. Like, im getting one shot over and over by this
Undergrowth
boss for example, the
room is tiny and theres poison everywhere from the vines that basically one shot me like I said.

Corpse running bosses until they die isnt exactly fun :/

edit: guess this is just a optional high lvl boss or something, i thought this was the way forward but found another more suitable path. Still, ive died alot more already compared to vanilla where i hardly died, this poison dmg is ridic :p

Cracklox

Craft some anti venom salves and bolt them on. Also there's a tonne of bleed damage in there as well, so look at that. Resists don't matter too much in normal usually, but you need them for the new stuff.

edit - The areas after , you may want to think about chaos and aether resists too ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Craft some anti venom salves and bolt them on. Also there's a tonne of bleed damage in there as well, so look at that. Resists don't matter too much in normal usually, but you need them for the new stuff

yeah im still in normal/veteran, since it went straight into Ashes content when I finished vanilla. I mean its not too bad, but it's certainly noticiable. And like I said, that
Undergrowth
boss was basically impossible for me, I died like 5 seconds into getting in the room and the pets barely had time to do anything.

Sidenote, that Blood of Dreeg or whatever its called is fucking amazing.

Cracklox

yeah im still in normal/veteran, since it went straight into Ashes content when I finished vanilla. I mean its not too bad, but it's certainly noticiable. And like I said, that
Undergrowth
boss was basically impossible for me, I died like 5 seconds into getting in the room and the pets barely had time to do anything.

Sidenote, that Blood of Dreeg or whatever its called is fucking amazing.

Actually, invest in the BoD add on skill as well. You can get a bunch of poison resist out of that, along with physical resist which is usually a pretty hard stat to come by. Also more damage for everyone. Yay

Rhaknar

Actually, invest in the BoD add on skill as well. You can get a bunch of poison resist out of that, along with physical resist which is usually a pretty hard stat to come by. Also more damage for everyone. Yay

2 points per level now is bumming me out man :(

cirrhosis

Just finished farming the honored quest location of Malmouth for the level 94 MI legendary. Got two after around 100 runs, plan to use them both in a build. Feels good. Wasn't that bad once we got a rhythm down and a farm route established, plus the loads of boss mobs along the way ensure that something will always be getting something decent.

Rhaknar

Whats the consensus on the expansion ?

as a huge summoner fanboy (as in, proper summoner, you being a lazy ass and your little army killing everything) the necro here is one of the best i've seen in ages.

the new content zones are really good aswell, but there a big difficulty spike compared to vanilla. I'm loving it.

Anyway, 2 things.

1 - Please for the love of C'thulhu where can I reliably get a Ancient Heart? Ive had the quest to cleanse the shrine for ages now, have the other 2 items and assumed (welp I guess another Ancient Heart will pop up eventually as I do Ashes content)... turns out, not so much!

2 - So I noticed that the last passive in the bone spikes is actually a huge pet dmg buff, with little dimishing returns (it gives 5% per rank up to rank 12 to 60%), but the range is so close, its so risky to use ;_; I've been using it because I can proc that and the sheppards call, so 2 dmg buffs from one attack, but damn if it doesnt suck being a glass cannon.

Cracklox

Whats the consensus on the expansion ?

So far? Its everything I'd hoped and maybe a little more. Bestest game got even bestest

as a huge summoner fanboy (as in, proper summoner, you being a lazy ass and your little army killing everything) the necro here is one of the best i've seen in ages.

the new content zones are really good aswell, but there a big difficulty spike compared to vanilla. I'm loving it.

Anyway, 2 things.

1 - Please for the love of C'thulhu where can I reliably get a Ancient Heart? Ive had the quest to cleanse the shrine for ages now, have the other 2 items and assumed (welp I guess another Ancient Heart will pop up eventually as I do Ashes content)... turns out, not so much!

2 - So I noticed that the last passive in the bone spikes is actually a huge pet dmg buff, with little dimishing returns (it gives 5% per rank up to rank 12 to 60%), but the range is so close, its so risky to use ;_; I've been using it because I can proc that and the sheppards call, so 2 dmg buffs from one attack, but damn if it doesnt suck being a glass cannon.

Hearts drop from beasty and undead kind of bosses and heroes, tainted brains from aetherial and bloods from c'thonian. That said, there's a blacksmith in the necropolis that converts one to the other, so if you have any brains or bloods, you can convert them

Rhaknar

so second boss I've encountered that basically just 1 shots me after a rush. He ignores all the pets, just rushes at me even with the slow from CoF and just one shots me. lvl 60, im 59, its just like the boss in the cave before, and this is just normal/veteran.

If the type of stuff like this from Ashes is what I can expect out of elite or higher, im probably going to call it a day when I finish Ashes tbh, this simply is not fun at all for me, im basically corpse running the boss until it eventually dies I guess.

Like, I cant even imagine what its like to play melee chracter for example.

edit: all that for a shitty green lol >_<

cirrhosis

so second boss I've encountered that basically just 1 shots me after a rush. He ignores all the pets, just rushes at me even with the slow from CoF and just one shots me. lvl 60, im 59, its just like the boss in the cave before, and this is just normal/veteran.

If the type of stuff like this from Ashes is what I can expect out of elite or higher, im probably going to call it a day when I finish Ashes tbh, this simply is not fun at all for me, im basically corpse running the boss until it eventually dies I guess.

Like, I cant even imagine what its like to play melee chracter for example.

edit: all that for a shitty green lol >_<

What's your stean name? Pm it to me and we'll run it together.

Rhaknar

What's your stean name? Pm it to me and we'll run it together.

nah I killed it. I'd understand if I was massively underlvled, but a lvl 60? sure its a purple but still. Just some funky difficult mobs in Ashes, I dunno. Maybe elite vanilla isnt even like this.

im almost done with the Ashes campaign anyway I feel (or, well, all of it)

edit: speaking of the one before, I actually have a quest to kill it now, but the cave entrance is gone, wtf? Anyone run into this? It was a cave in
Ugdenbog
called
Undergrowth
, it was right by the
witch's house

edit2: apparently it can spwn in different locations...why ;_;.

Cracklox

nah I killed it. I'd understand if I was massively underlvled, but a lvl 60? sure its a purple but still. Just some funky difficult mobs in Ashes, I dunno. Maybe elite vanilla isnt even like this.

im almost done with the Ashes campaign anyway I feel (or, well, all of it)

edit: speaking of the one before, I actually have a quest to kill it now, but the cave entrance is gone, wtf? Anyone run into this? It was a cave in
Ugdenbog
called
Undergrowth
, it was right by the
witch's house

edit2: apparently it can spwn in different locations...why ;_;.

Elite regular game is a little easier then normal ashes yeah.

But even so. There's problems if you having to zerg bosses and getting oneshot all the time. Do you have components in all your gear yet? All sorts of options to help with survivability, damage and utility. Also from level 40 onwards you can buy augemnts from the various faction vendors that go onto rings and weapons, and at level 70 armor as well. That's along with components. All sorts of good stuff on those. Also, make sure you are buying all the component recipes from the same vendors

Main things to prioritize with all of those are resists (ideally you want all at 80 later on, except maybe stun), OA, DA and health.

I just beat the undergrowth boss in elite btw ;) Literally took about 10 seconds, and my health hardly moved. And i'm a little more squishy then I want to be as well

Zeneric

Bought Grim Dawn (it was on sale). Should I have bought the expansion too? Is it alright to jump in now without the expansion and when (if i enjoy) I'm done with Grim Dawn I buy the expansion and continue it from there? If you want to do the new classes provided by the expansion you have to start Grim Dawn all over again, right? That's what holding me back from starting Grim Dawn vanilla. Can you change classes mid-game?

Bought Grim Dawn (it was on sale). Should I have bought the expansion too? Is it alright to jump in now without the expansion and when (if i enjoy) I'm done with Grim Dawn I buy the expansion and continue it from there? If you want to do the new classes provided by the expansion you have to start Grim Dawn all over again, right? That's what holding me back from starting Grim Dawn vanilla. Can you change classes mid-game?

Have you played a Diablo type rpg before? They're not typically games you just beat once. Chances are you'll make multiple characters. Just play it for an hour and you'll know whether you want the expansion or not. If you really want to keep your options open you can stick to one mastery and not pick anything for the second till you buy the expansion. Most masteries are capable of beating normal difficulty alone anyways.

Sygma

Cheers guys, just grabbed it ! my chaos build is totally nerfed so gonna have to redo all of it haha. not sweating it since I wanted to go Necro + Soldier in order to do some loldmg with a 2h while summoning the dead

ShadowOwl

Had to roll back from 1.0.2.1 to 1.0.2.0 due to this weird bug:
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57217

I've got a strange kind of input delay. Sometimes my character won't stop attacking for several seconds or use a skill somewhat later. It seems especially to happen when I keep the Shift key pressed to move items or keep attacking without moving. When I drop items in my stash I get an ever increasing delay between clicking (plus shift) items and them actually moving to my stash/inventory. Never had this problem before and it's super annoying. I had no such problems when playing with 1.0.2.0. It pretty much renders the game being unplayable in many situations as I'm often unable to move away from enemies or use a potion.

Anyone else got this problem?

Zeneric

Have you played a Diablo type rpg before? They're not typically games you just beat once. Chances are you'll make multiple characters. Just play it for an hour and you'll know whether you want the expansion or not. If you really want to keep your options open you can stick to one mastery and not pick anything for the second till you buy the expansion. Most masteries are capable of beating normal difficulty alone anyways.

I've played Torchlight 1, Diablo 2-3, etc, some loot based RPG games, and am currently playing Torchlight 2 with SynergiesMOD + other mods. I just usually don't like to do multiple playthroughs on a lengthy game that requires you to grind a lot. I get bored easily. Thanks for the tip regarding the mastery option.

Rhaknar

Elite regular game is a little easier then normal ashes yeah.

But even so. There's problems if you having to zerg bosses and getting oneshot all the time. Do you have components in all your gear yet? All sorts of options to help with survivability, damage and utility. Also from level 40 onwards you can buy augemnts from the various faction vendors that go onto rings and weapons, and at level 70 armor as well. That's along with components. All sorts of good stuff on those. Also, make sure you are buying all the component recipes from the same vendors

Main things to prioritize with all of those are resists (ideally you want all at 80 later on, except maybe stun), OA, DA and health.

I just beat the undergrowth boss in elite btw ;) Literally took about 10 seconds, and my health hardly moved. And i'm a little more squishy then I want to be as well

I actually havent looked into components at all yet :(

Maledict

You mean you haven’t been putting components into your gear at all? What about the augments from faction vendors?

That explains why you found some areas hard. They are an essential part of your gear, and contribute massively towards your defenses (particularly your resists).

Cracklox

Elite down at 81. Last guy actually killed me once. Finally finding a few things suited for inquisitor now too.

A rough guide on whats good for each slot, but it will change a bit per build

Head: Leathery hide, Sanctified Bone
Shoulders: Silk Swatch, Antivenom salve
Chest: Chains of Oleron, Hallowed ground, Bindings of Bysmael for summoner
Legs: Silk swatch, Antivenom salve
Gloves: Unholy inscription
Feet: Mark of the traveller
Belt: antivenom salve, rigid shell, molten skin, dense fur
Rings: Corpse Dust, Soul Shard
Medal: Black Tallow, Aether Soul, Corpse dust
Ammy: Similar to medal

There's tonnes of other optiions as well of course, but bolting some of those on should help alot. You should have access to most, others you may need to purchase a blueprint from a faction vendor to learn

Rhaknar

You mean you haven't been putting components into your gear at all? What about the augments from faction vendors?

That explains why you found some areas hard. They are an essential part of your gear, and contribute massively towards your defenses (particularly your resists).

im a noob :( at least I didnt vendor them all lol

gonna log in now quickly and see those components then. I didnt even know about those augments, but speaking of factions, I did notice yesterday that when you go back at higher reps, they have new quests (or follow up to the quests I guess) so I picked up like 4 new ones (campaign wise I think im on the last quest so it was a nice surprise)

edit: oh damn theres alot of +dmg to pets augments on various vendors. I cant remember all the factions and where they are, is there a list of them with their locations?

Cracklox

im a noob :( at least I didnt vendor them all lol

gonna log in now quickly and see those components then. I didnt even know about those augments, but speaking of factions, I did notice yesterday that when you go back at higher reps, they have new quests (or follow up to the quests I guess) so I picked up like 4 new ones (campaign wise I think im on the last quest so it was a nice surprise)

edit: oh damn theres alot of +dmg to pets augments on various vendors. I cant remember all the factions and where they are, is there a list of them with their locations?

Devils crossing - just inside the main gate
Rovers camp - Go to old arkovia rift and head south west. Can't miss it.
Homestead - Guy up a ramp at the top.
Deaths Vigil - In homestead. Just near the guy you helped clear the farms for
Outcast - Fort Ikon Rift. Through the door instead of up the stairs
I hope you didn't kill Anasteria
Black Legion - Upstairs at Fort Ikon, or to the right in the homestead.

New ones.
Coven - Just to the south of the riftgate
Barrowholm - Near Scorv
La Resistance - Just near the steelcap district rift

Rhaknar

not sure how I feel about these quests that ask you to go to the skeleton key zones.

just a hassle to get back there if you die, and have/craft the key etc /shrug

edit: oh ffs the door wont even re-open with a new key in the same session. meh cba clearing all the way there again, will do that some other time.

edit: huh no ending to Ashes? I killed what I assume is the last boss, handed the quest and...thats it. There were a couple of sidequests, but no more main quest. Thats kinda disapointing that there isnt even a cutscene.

So what do I do now? Ive done all the quests, and I cant really be arsed to farm rep with factions for more quests, rep carries over to elite right? In fact, how DO I start elite?

Purkake4

Banned
not sure how I feel about these quests that ask you to go to the skeleton key zones.

just a hassle to get back there if you die, and have/craft the key etc /shrug

edit: oh ffs the door wont even re-open with a new key in the same session. meh cba clearing all the way there again, will do that some other time.
They are usually a bit higher level than the areas around them. The idea was to have roguelike dungeons for extra good loot. I'm not a big fan either, the portal worlds are more fun IMO.

Rhaknar

so if I choose elite, the game restarts right?

Cracklox

edit: huh no ending to Ashes? I killed what I assume is the last boss, handed the quest and...thats it. There were a couple of sidequests, but no more main quest. Thats kinda disapointing that there isnt even a cutscene.

Vanilla ended pretty similarly to be fair. A little jarring, but they leave the door open for more content. They haven't ruled out another expansion, depending how well this one does, so...

As for the lack of flair, it'd be nice to have something, anything, I agree. But then you remember the games made by about a dozen people so I can cut them some slack. Also when you've beaten the game 50+ times, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Rhaknar

so, to reiterate, I have no reason not to restart on elite right now correct? im 64 (almost 65), ive done all the quests possible with the rep I have on the various factions.

dondarm

Banned
so, to reiterate, I have no reason not to restart on elite right now correct? im 64 (almost 65), ive done all the quests possible with the rep I have on the various factions.
Yes, your progress on normal also isn't deleted, you can change back in case you missed anything.

Rhaknar

wtf I got 3 points from 65???

I thought it was 2 now until 90 and then 1 per lvl? dont tell me going back to elite gives 3 again...

Rhaknar

I'm tipping you just gave Kasparov some crystals. You get 1 skill point for that 'quest'

edit - also do hidden path quest on each difficulty. It rewards a skill point and an attribute point for each difficulty

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hidden_Path

neat, ty. Are there elite only zones btw? Just found a Depraved Sanctuary in Burrwitch Outskirts that I hadnt done on normal. Or did I just miss it? Keep in mind I didnt elave any black zones on any map (lol dat ocd) so if I missed it...dunno how lol.

edit: also you were correct I guess, I got 2 points for 66 :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
About the only thing I don't like about Grim Dawn is how slow it is. Starting a new character takes forever. Hitting level 30+ is a bit of a chore.

Cracklox

neat, ty. Are there elite only zones btw? Just found a Depraved Sanctuary in Burrwitch Outskirts that I hadnt done on normal. Or did I just miss it? Keep in mind I didnt elave any black zones on any map (lol dat ocd) so if I missed it...dunno how lol.

edit: also you were correct I guess, I got 2 points for 66 :)

Depraved sanctuary is always there in the same spot. There's also smugglers basin in that part of town which has a few spawn locations. Shorter, but has a pretty tough enemy in there. East Marsh is a whole area just off burrwitch, and has much higher level enemies then burrwitch itself. Need some dynamite and scrap to access.

That's just around burrwitch. There's plenty of hidden areas throughout the whole game too

Rhaknar

Yes, your progress on normal also isn't deleted, you can change back in case you missed anything.

wait, if I choose normal (veteran) again, it goes back to the progress I had (aka end game?)

is my elite progress saved so I can go back to it (in burwitch village now) also?

Maledict

It’s an ARPG thing that all the other ARPGs got rid of over the last couple of years, weirdly enough. Diablo now has adjustable difficulty settings and the endless rifts as endgame, and Path of Exile just has one giant campaign.

Rhaknar

its amazing how after 60 hours, I STILL dont put up a portal near a boss I know will be particularly hard , in case I die to get back fast... ffs

Redshirt

Banned
I put portals up religiously. A habit PoE instilled in me, I guess.

I really wish Grim Dawn had visual feedback on mouse clicks.

Is there a mod perhaps? I searched but didn't find anything.

Purkake4

Banned
I put portals up religiously. A habit PoE instilled in me, I guess.

I really wish Grim Dawn had visual feedback on mouse clicks.

Is there a mod perhaps? I searched but didn't find anything.
Tweet to Crate, I'm sure it's not too hard to make it an option.

Rhaknar

really liking elite. And like I predicted and someone said, vanilla elite is much easier than normal ashes...

...I fear eltie ashes ;_;

Top Bottom