• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIN axes 160 jobs due to poor sales of Terminator and Wanted

Not surprising, they seemed to be pumping out projects so fast their staff must have ballooned, and now they have to let the air out.

*insert joke/comment/statement about 3 hour games*

B-Ri

there is an achievement/trophy for beating the game in an an hour and twelve minutes if im not mistaken.

Haunted

:/ it's always bad when people lose their job, just talked to a friend about this last week and we were citing Crytek and GRIN as one of very few independent dev studios who managed to really expand recently, opening new studios and everything.

Then again, Wanted was a pretty fucking terrible game - that fact coupled with a B-tier license makes it easy to imagine bad sales. Terminator doesn't look much better (didn't even know it's out already), even though the license is bigger.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dreamer3kx said:
Are you exaggerating? Two hours?!

wanted is 4-5 hours and can be finished in 1 (there is an achievement that rewards you for doing this). it has very limited replay value (two "challenge modes")

terminator is 4-5 hours and has no replay value at all. there is literally no reason to play it again, you can get 100% of the achievements in that 4 hours and see everything the game has to offer.

Guled

they were working on 3 big game at once, so after they came out wouldn't people be let go since there is not much to work on? Also, dose this mean BC is doing well?

Ploid 3.0

Should do more capcom remakes. Megaman next, and add super awesome music like Bionic Rearmed.

Edit: 2d not like the new 3d bionic.

web01

Cat in the Hat said:
When a 3 hour game get repetitive I wouldn't exactly call it quality. Shit would be more fitting of a word.

Stumpokapow said:
so it's your stance that the quality of wanted and terminator is so high that it makes up for the short play lengths and lack of replayability?

No No No
I mean that instead of pumping out so many shitty games they should focus on 1 game and make it good.

web01 said:
Quality > Quantity
I'm trying to figure out every possible interpretation of this.

Either you're saying

A) They released short games, but they were awesome while they lasted
B) They should focus on one game at a time rather than releasing three in rapidfire succession
C) The people who were fired suck and the remaining staff is the cream of the crop

A makes you look stupid, B I agree with, C kind of makes you look like a dick

Bionic Commando Rearmed was awesome -- neither of those games interest / interested me though. I'm probably going to pick up BC despite not being too impressed with the Edge review etc.

On a recent Giant Bombcast some folks from GRIN mentioned that they had a few projects still in the pipeline even after their recent releases. Maybe the poor sales of Wanted/T4 scared the publishers of those projects away?

Sucks to see any studio shed jobs, though.

These guys seem much better off without worrying about licenses. Rearmed is a great game, and at the very least BC is a good game. They just seem to run into trouble when dealing with licensed properties.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Full price and four hours could almost be excused if they weren't four hours of abject frustration at a buggy, glitchy, freezing pile of horseshit like Terminator.

Stumpokapow said:
so it's your stance that the quality of wanted and terminator is so high that it makes up for the short play lengths and lack of replayability?

I think it's pretty clear he's saying better to release one fully conceived game than 3 half-baked ones.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dont make licensed games.... They hardly ever work.

Grin did an awesome job on BC:R so I know they got some skills.

Zen

Banned
That's too bad for those involved. Hopefully they land on their feet and GRIN will bounce back (or at least survive). I'm going to be picking up Bionic Comando and already got Rearmed. I heard that the Terminator game was actually a decent amount of fun while it lasted, but I found Wanted to be unplayable.

Haunted

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think it's pretty clear he's saying better to release one fully conceived game than 3 half-baked ones.
I'm not sure how you would go about developing one game across three different development studios located all over Europe.

Linkup

wsippel said:
So I guess Mad World outsold it. If people wouldn't be losing their jobs, this would actually be a bit funny.

At least a few of the guys that made Madworld had already lost their jobs before back at Capcom, heck they may lose them again.

Kusagari said:
Licensed games for the fail.

Not even this, it's Licensed games for bad movies. If you're gonna get a license, get something worthwhile.

It sucks that it looks like people are losing jobs due to poor business decisions made by management.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As much as I fucking hate license games, I still feel for the employees who lost their jobs. I know for a fact that not everyone wanted to work for on those games necessarily, but that's life. Best of luck to those who were axed.

Top Bottom