• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIP |KS| A UE4-powered spiritual successor to Rollcage for PC/PS4

Navid

There's only one "complete" track in the alpha at the moment, which you can see HERE. Collision/physics issues make it kinda tricky at the moment, but from what I've played I feel it's going to be a lot of fun down the line.

There's also a second track (student-made, apparently) with a much more open design. You can see some gameplay of that HERE. I actually really dig this one, it's a refreshing change from the tight corridors of the other track.
Thanks for this... :)

1st track definitely feels too narrow and with too many alternate paths/shortcuts (felt like a track where you are changing position without actually seeing the person you are overtaking), 2nd track has a nice feel to it but could do with being a bit better in terms of visually directing the playing in terms of the turns coming up.

Great to see it starting to come together though, hopefully this Alpha will provide them with plenty of feedback from the players.

Velurian

Steam early access version is out already and having played it, I really like what I am seeing.
Really looking forward to seeing how often they can push out updates/new content especially split screen multiplayer that should be coming pretty soon if I recall their plan correctly.

PaulloDEC

Thanks for this... :)

1st track definitely feels too narrow and with too many alternate paths/shortcuts (felt like a track where you are changing position without actually seeing the person you are overtaking), 2nd track has a nice feel to it but could do with being a bit better in terms of visually directing the playing in terms of the turns coming up.

Great to see it starting to come together though, hopefully this Alpha will provide them with plenty of feedback from the players.

The first one actually doesn't feel too bad in terms of how narrow it is; right now it's just that the physics make it super easy to slip, slide and skid off the track, especially if you're not on perfectly flat terrain. Once they've tweaked that a little, I think it'll feel pretty good.

The second track definitely feels like a work in progress, and I'm sure they'll add some more architecture and whatnot to guide the player a bit more.

Hey guys,

Chris here, Game Director on GRIP

Such nice comments in this thread... I'm gettin all warm and fuzzy over here. Thanks for all the positive support, I really mean that. I don't know if I've seen a single negative thing in this thread (although we're open to all types of feedback, of course)

I know I'm a bit late to this party but I wanted to chime in to address some concerns as well as see if you have any questions that can't be easily answered on the forums.

We've released a few patches since the private release launch (including one today: 1.0.4) that help fix a lot of the issues people have with the game. Here's a quick list of things that are relevant to this thread:
  • Car physics/collisions have improved since v.1.0.3, though we're still battling physX and have some work to do before the public release
  • Arena mode has greatly improved, and much more exciting now. Plus there's a new Chrismas arena in the latest patch ;)
  • We now have a wrong way indicator, as well as other helpful HUD elements
  • The student track has been updated visually, but still needs work in terms of routes, in that many alternate routes are just not worth taking
  • The AI is quite simple, but it'll be getting a boost next month. Right now they're pretty dumb to be honest
  • Split screen was intended to be implemented quite far down the line, but we've just recently had a discussion about trying to put it in quite early (2 player. 4 player would come later)
  • We want to bring GRIP to PS4, but we're focusing on Steam early access right now. A few months into the new year, we'll know more about a PS4 version. Sony would like us on their platform, we know that much

We're quite aware of the many issues that still plague the current version of the game, but it's been a great help getting so much feedback from the backers who are playing the private release.

I also wanted to say that I'm really happy you guys are enjoying the Industrial track on Jahtra. That one's mine ;)
It is a pretty tight course, but I think it does a good job of portraying the kind of complexity we're going for, with having multiple routes and varying terrain. That said, it's the first race track I've ever designed, so they should be getting better from here on out.

And yes, the Figure8 is a great contrast to it as it's nice and open with lots of room to battle - as someone here stated.

So, let me know if you guys have any more questions, and if you've got access to the game, be sure to check out the new pre-xmas patch.

Cheers!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hey guys,

Chris here, Game Director on GRIP

Such nice comments in this thread... I'm gettin all warm and fuzzy over here. Thanks for all the positive support, I really mean that. I don't know if I've seen a single negative thing in this thread (although we're open to all types of feedback, of course)

I know I'm a bit late to this party but I wanted to chime in to address some concerns as well as see if you have any questions that can't be easily answered on the forums.

We've released a few patches since the private release launch (including one today: 1.0.4) that help fix a lot of the issues people have with the game. Here's a quick list of things that are relevant to this thread:
  • Car physics/collisions have improved since v.1.0.3, though we're still battling physX and have some work to do before the public release
  • Arena mode has greatly improved, and much more exciting now. Plus there's a new Chrismas arena in the latest patch ;)
  • We now have a wrong way indicator, as well as other helpful HUD elements
  • The student track has been updated visually, but still needs work in terms of routes, in that many alternate routes are just not worth taking
  • The AI is quite simple, but it'll be getting a boost next month. Right now they're pretty dumb to be honest
  • Split screen was intended to be implemented quite far down the line, but we've just recently had a discussion about trying to put it in quite early (2 player. 4 player would come later)
  • We want to bring GRIP to PS4, but we're focusing on Steam early access right now. A few months into the new year, we'll know more about a PS4 version. Sony would like us on their platform, we know that much

We're quite aware of the many issues that still plague the current version of the game, but it's been a great help getting so much feedback from the backers who are playing the private release.

I also wanted to say that I'm really happy you guys are enjoying the Industrial track on Jahtra. That one's mine ;)
It is a pretty tight course, but I think it does a good job of portraying the kind of complexity we're going for, with having multiple routes and varying terrain. That said, it's the first race track I've ever designed, so they should be getting better from here on out.

And yes, the Figure8 is a great contrast to it as it's nice and open with lots of room to battle - as someone here stated.

So, let me know if you guys have any more questions, and if you've got access to the game, be sure to check out the new pre-xmas patch.

Cheers!

Just wanted to say thank you for getting this made, I hope everything goes relatively smooth for you guys. :)

Can't wait to see more of it!

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
I saw some gameplay videos of the game on Youtube, it just looks C-R-A-Z-Y !!!
Can't wait January to try the concept !

And, Chris, little question.
Do you think it would be possible to have a sort of modified version of the Unreal Engine editor to create content for the game (in the same way of ARK if I'm correct), maybe even during the actual alpha state ?
Thanks !

Thanks Rapier ;)

@Rob85Fr: You mean a track editor? Many people have asked for this, but such a feature would require a lot of resources to finish. That said, it would add a lot of value to the game, as custom tracks could be made by players.

We do want something like that in the game, as well as importing custom cars. Modding is something I have roots in, and the team really likes the idea of customization and more options for the player

Durante

I gave the game a spin with the latest version and the physics behavior, particularly with high speed collisions, is a lot more like I would expect. I still encountered one instance where a small road bump spun me out disproportionately, but it seems much better than in the initial release.

red731

is the closed beta converting to EA or do we have to activate another code?

Up to now, it was like Kickstart beta. Just for backers.
It is shifting to EA now, so you will buy it and the games gonna get patched and all that EA biz.

Also tip for OT name - GRIP EA |OT| Get a grip

Edit: sigh, after rereading - yes, it should be converted, I guess. I suppose so.

Top Bottom