• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Griptonite Games working on Shinobi 3DS

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh right, how'd I miss kunai...

Do the different varieties of magic penalise you differently score-wise, or are they all equally punitive like that? I know they drop you down to one health once they wear off, or something.

panda21

@MUWANdo said:
Oh right, how'd I miss kunai...

Do the different varieties of magic penalise you differently score-wise, or are they all equally punitive like that? I know they drop you down to one health once they wear off, or something.

i'm not sure, i sort of just ignored the magic when it told me you lose points for it. didn't know about the one health thing, maybe i just didnt notice it though.

kind of interested to see what other people think of this, i think its awesome they made a game so hard, but i never played shinobi before so perhaps everyone else will find it easy lol

the furthest i made it in the first level had you making jumps onto small platforms with enemies standing on them while they threw stuff at you, with instant death if you miss a platform..

i'm definitely getting better at the combat, and its really cool that there are some enemies where parrying is pretty much required to kill them without being hit.

Rubikant

New review, 4/5 stars.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Shinobi-3DS-review/tabid/418/articleID/232719/Default.aspx

Oh, on the subject of magic - only one of the spells reduces you to 1 hp, the one that makes you ridiculously powerful for a while. They all penalize you the same in terms of points though.

The Fire spell is a smart bomb but also leaves you able to fire split-shot kunai that pierce through enemies and shields for a time (works extremely well on certain enemies and bosses).

The Water spell gives a big increase to your movement speed, jump height, and kunai reload speed for a long time (the point penalty may sometimes be worth it if its the difference between getting a good time bonus or not).

The Lightning spell lets you take 3 hits without any damage or recoil/knockback (very useful to prevent getting knocked into pits).

Finally, the Earth spell makes you extremely powerful, fast, and invincible for a brief time but when it wears off it reduces your health to 1 and causes you to be slightly slower with no kunai for a while (great for pushing through to the next checkpoint in areas that are giving you a lot of trouble).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gamekult just gave it a 7/10, they say it's pretty awesome, very challenging, and a true successor to the best Shinobi games :)

@MUWANdo

Banned
One more question for those of you with the game... I know you can save replays to the SD card, but are you able to copy other peoples' replays to your SD card and watch those as well? It seems like such an obvious thing, but there are games that copy-protect such files, or don't let you run files originally saved to different copies of the same game, and it's a complete pain in the arse.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Well now I feel like a jerk for bitching about the graphics. Seems they nailed the gameplay and that is what is most important.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, I have to admit, that sounds really good.

I'm hoping the reason the visuals are so awful is that they targeted 60 fps.

dark10x said:
OK, I have to admit, that sounds really good.

I'm hoping the reason the visuals are so awful is that they targeted 60 fps.
Bad news

It's baffling, Griptonite's DS games were pretty competent technically so I'm not sure why they couldn't do better on the 3DS.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Rubikant, are you the guy posting all the info on GFAQs? If so, thanks a lot, that's exactly the sort of stuff I was hoping to hear.

Really hoping some more reviews start dropping soon - the only thing that really bugs me about the ones I've read so far are complaints about the level design later in the game, which I'm hoping are just a reflection on the reviewers being wimps. I really, really wanna like this game.

Rubikant

Yeah that's me - its the kind of stuff I personally like to know about games myself. The details make a difference to me both in playing a game and deciding if I want to purchase it or not, and so often its hard to find that stuff past the typical marketing blitz and reviews that focus on the big ticket categories and just make passing references to game mechanics. I decided to put that stuff out there for anyone like me who would find that kind of thing interesting or useful. I may post more, since there's plenty more depth to the game that is not yet being discussed, but didn't want to hog the board :).

Teknoman

IGN:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1212847p1.html

7.5 Presentation
The story isn’t told very clearly, but it’s everything you’d want from a Shinobi game - silly, but totally badass.

7.5 Graphics
The gorgeous art design towards the game’s beginning impresses, but the latter parts aren’t as interesting to look at.

7.0 Sound
The music sets the tone well, though it’s not quite as good as in the original games.

7.5 Gameplay
Some great ninja action with sufficient move variety, though the enemies can be too repetitive.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Beating the game on the hardest difficulty will take some time, and StreetPass challenge maps add even more to do. Still, it’s a relatively short adventure.

andymcc

Banned
Rubikant said:
Detailed write-up (no review score):

http://hg101.kontek.net/shinobi/shinobi7.htm

"There are few other classic game reimagenings that do such a great job at modernizing a franchise while still capturing the original's spirit as well as Shinobi 3D. It effortlessly plays in the same league as Bionic Commando Rearmed and Contra 4."

trust these guys more than any "pro" reviewers and i'll probably ask for this for christmas. sounds good.

Yuterald

Yeah, I'm tempted to trade a few things in for this game now, but I think I'm going to wait for xmas and see if a deal pops up. Sorry guys for not supporting your game day one, there are just too cool many games this year!

Seriously, though I'm glad this game turned out to be above average. The parrying shit sounds so core. I want to play this badly! =)

Aeana

Has anybody been playing this? I'm having a great time with the game. The gameplay is wonderful, just deep enough to give you several options for any encounter, and I love the parry. Stages have some secrets to find, too. I could do without the gimmick parts of some of the levels (like fighting on top of cars, or riding a horse) but other than that I like it quite a bit.

Aeana

Got a bit further, still really liking the game. I'm playing on normal and I find it to be a fairly even challenge. I may try a replay later on the higher difficulties which disable saving and such.

Yuterald

I'm picking this game up tomorrow night around midnights when Gamestop opens it doors. Going for the Rayman & Sonic Gen doorbuster sale for PS3 and I'll be picking up Shinobi and Ace Combat for 3DS. Can't wait!!!

Spike

Got a bit further, still really liking the game. I'm playing on normal and I find it to be a fairly even challenge. I may try a replay later on the higher difficulties which disable saving and such.

I really like the game too. I'm playing on hard, and it is difficult, but when I die, it's because I messed up and not the game. It is a great game that I'm glad I picked up.

Top Bottom