• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Griptonite Games working on Shinobi 3DS

GeekyDad

Nirolak said:
This would seem to be their first time working with Sega.

And that would be my only concern, really. I absolutely loved the DS version of Web of Shadows, but will SEGA give Griptonite the support they need to make a great game?

Otherwise, I'm stoked. The 3DS needs more ninjas.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
V_Ben said:
Well then, Platinum are the biggest teases ever.

This kind of speculation will only hurt us later.

(Unlockable Bayonetta skin with hair&ribbons doing scarf duty.)

Confirmed (found via Twitter search):

hIQd1.jpg

FoneBone

Relaxed Muscle said:
Did we knew that Sonic Generations had a 3DS version on the works?
It was on retailer lists and a release list in Sega's most recent investor report. But no formal announcement.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
why does it matter if it's a western dev or not? as long as the game is good, who gives a crap?

TheOGB

Banned
The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night Game Boy Advance 2007 October 03
Lijik said:
These games were pretty great, no sarcasm.
AbsoluteZero said:
No damn lie, this game is delicious. Like calamari. It sounds disgusting when you find out what it really is, but then you try it and it's great.

TBQH, the game is only about a 7.5/10, but hey, I was expecting a 2.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Chacranajxy said:
Mine too. I'll just play the ps2 games again.

Japanese developers need to stop fucking outsourcing stuff to shitty devs. If they didnt have the capability to make a decent game by themselves, fix the fucking company. Don't outsource your fan favorite franchises and hope shit will just work out, because it almost never fucking does.

Yeah, for reals... I hate when I see a beloved Japanese classic franchise get outsourced to 3rd rate western devs... It never works out right... go big or go home.

V_Ben

Banned
Umm... the scans are out. It totally looks like a Shinobi game, 2.5D, horseback sections. Looks kinda awesome, but a little bit like a DS game that is getting brought forwards to 3DS.

emb

V_Ben said:
Umm... the scans are out. It totally looks like a Shinobi game, 2.5D, horseback sections. Looks kinda awesome, but a little bit like a DS game that is getting brought forwards to 3DS.

Are the scans posted here some where, or is it something I'd need to search out elsewhere?

GDGF

Soothsayer
As will I.

I love me some Shinobi.

More oldschool Sega love for the 3DS please. Space Harrier perhaps?

V_Ben said:

Whoa. Cool. I really don't give a fuck about the PS2 Shinobi, I always wanted something more in line with the Genesis games.

emb

ShockingAlberto said:
For the record, you shouldn't ask about scans here. It's okay to talk about them, but not about how to search them out.

Thanks for the heads up. I knew I'd read that rule some place, didn't think it was here. Will not ask in the future.

Rubikant

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rubikant said:
Yes it does - I am the lead gameplay programmer for Shinobi 3DS :).

Which, by the way, is NOT an "up-port" of a DS project, it was targeted for 3DS from the start.

It's a real shame more people don't know about Griptonite, because you guys have done some really amazing (and underrated) stuff.

I can't tell if this looks really good or really boring :|

EDIT: The gameplay looks great (very old school Shinobi), but the levels are empty and lack personality/style.

EDIT 2: I could almost swear this was a mobile title if I didn't know it was on the 3DS.

BurntPork

Banned
Nirolak said:
For the curious, here's what Griptonite has made so far.

This would seem to be their first time working with Sega.
Well, this game will be shit. It's probably best to ignore the fact that it exists.

looks much better in motion, but I really expect it too have considerable frame drops, but if not, graphically it's not something to complain that much about

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GDGF said:
Game should have looked like the cut scenes.

Oh well. At least the gameplay looks decent.
Yeah, the cutscenes look pretty slick. Oh well, guess expectations might've been a tad bit too high.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I must be looking at a different trailer because this looks seriously good, love the art style and camera effects. I hope it will be as challenging as in the good old days.

How were the framerates of Spidey SD and WOS DS and AssCreed 2 DS?

Because if they had low/inconsistant framerates and this ends up running in 60 frames, then whoo! :D Excuse enough for the graphics.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
marc^o^ said:
I must be looking at a different trailer because this looks seriously good, love the art style and camera effects. I hope it will be as challenging as in the good old days.

Same

I heard challenge maps and got interested.

My little brother has a 3DS so I might end up playing this on it

Sorry for the DP, but I just spoke with someone who works at Griptonite and he shared a few interesting tidbits about this game.

1. Most of the key folks that worked on The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night GBA worked together on this game as well, some of whom didn't even work on Assassin's Creed 2: Discovery DS or Spider Man: Web of Shadows and Shattered Dimensions DS games.
2. The music is composed by none other than Norihiko Hibino, who did the Metal Gear Solid series.
3. The team knows how important the game is, as was revealed in an interview, Griptonite actually pitched the game to Sega, not the other way around. He says that the Shinobi team is shaping up to be the strongest yet in the company.
4. The level designers didn't work on Spyro, and apparently the level designs in Shinobi are VASTLY superior.
5. The combat is brand-new and not recycled from past Griptonite games. It was carefully designed to appeal to Shinobi fans.
6. He mentioned that, just like in the classic Shinobi games, most enemies are one-hit-kill. You just have the option to juggle them around a bit after the initial kill shot for bonus points.

That's all I have. :)

DR2K

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I hope Platinum is not relegated to picking up the reigns of Sega's dead and/or battered franchises, they're way too good for that and to be hampered by the restrictions that would force upon them.

Their games sell like shit, but they're good developers. So this fits them perfectly.

Top Bottom