• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gris - A gorgeously illustrated/animated sidescroller in development

nBsoVOD.gif

https://twitter.com/GRIS_game
http://www.grisgame.com/

Besides the art, the other interesting thing is the dev team which is composed of international talent from Barcelona and Tokyo

Not much else is known about the game, but it certainly looks like a project to watch

fDonHHu.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The look of the game is unique and incredible. I just need to see more but if the gameplay is as solid as the art is pretty, consider me sold.

dmshaposv

Art is HEAVILY inspired by Transistors techy line/characters with the color palette of journey.

I dont know, its nice, but its derivative for me

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Art is HEAVILY inspired by Transistors techy line/characters with the color palette of journey.

Transistor is not even close to what I'd compare this games art style to. This looks more inspired by the animated movie Fantastic Planet or water color paintings than something like Transistor.

dosh

What a beautiful and subtle artstyle.

I don't really see it. I mean, I get the techy lines remark, but Transistor artstyle felt really vivid and "concrete", whereas Gris has a more ethereal feel - probably because of the watercolor/pencil mix and the pastel color palette.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Reminds me a bit of what a 2D Journey might look like. Have any interesting gameplay conceits been revealed so far? (hearing it's got Japanese devs on the team gives me some hope the gameplay won't be an afterthought)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

this... doesn't look anything like Transistor.

Transistor has very sharp, vector art style art. This is scratchy pencilwork combined with watercolour paint shading. Transistor has a character whose design is basically techno-norse, this has a character whose design looks like traditional Japanese stuff. It's also got a different perspective, and as you note a different palette. Also it's not Journey's colour palette; Journey used very saturated colours, most of this is pretty desaturated. Also Transistor is boxy in its world design and this has much more organic curves, except for the use of triangular primitives, which Transistor doesn't use.

Even setting aside the palette, I don't see any connection besides a female lead.

Cyrano

It's pretty, the watercolor aesthetic is nice. Looks like a traditional platformer though. Here's hoping it's a little something more.

Given the ethereal look of the world I feel like the character should be more abstract, even if they wanted to denote the character as female.

Very interesting. Gorgeous art. There's an artist that the the video's aesthetic reminds me of that I can't think of, but it does vaguely remind me of Kandinsky's Bauhaus period in the geometric forms and color palette...

As well as Salvador Dalí's surrealist works...

It does seem in general, both in environments and the character design (rather Erté!) inspired by 1910's-30's art styles, or at least there seems to be some through line for the creators to that period.

Top Bottom