• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRIS |OT| Her Journey

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

maxresdefault.jpg

source.gif
Platform: Switch, PC, Mac
Release: December 13, 2018
Developer: Nomada Studio
Publisher: Devolver Digital

SYNOPSIS:
Gris is a hopeful young girl lost in her own world, dealing with a painful experience in her life. Her journey through sorrow is manifested in her dress, which grants new abilities to better navigate her faded reality. As the story unfolds, Gris will grow emotionally and see her world in a different way, revealing new paths to explore using her new abilities.

GRIS___Screen_15.png

186381.jpg

GRIS___Screen_13.png

Reviews:

This my first time making OTs so I'm sorry if is not well made.
If I broke some rules Mods should feel free to lock this.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Cool. I completely forgot this was coming out. Deffo purchase, but I'm going to wait until Christmas so I have the time to play it. Looks sublime.

Raven117

Great job on the OT and thanks for putting it together! We need more of these. I'll be picking up this game tonight!

Exentryk

Might be worth adding some trailers in the OP.

Game looks interesting. Might give it a go once I finish AC Odyssey.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Because finishing a game and then still refunding it is so classy itself that they're being less than by making it longer. Did they promise it's Symphony of the Night except with a girl somewhere and I missed it? Not that there aren't already (glowing) reviews out there showing it's anything but that for those who really were so dishonestly tricked into caring about it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The game has nice amount of platforming and clever puzzles. Seriously, people just throw word “walking simulator” at anything and it starting to get really annoying.

Grimmrobe

No platforming and no puzzles, let alone clever ones. The way it was covered by the press was almost a scam. That's why everyone is confused even about the genre. It's not a metroidvania. It's a 2D walking simulator.

Last edited:

Alexios

A guy mentioned it here = everyone is confused? Most user reviews are positive, most critic reviews are positive, nobody calls it a Metroidvania, just some somewhere might have thought it is one based on a glimpse of footage which is not misleading, it's the assumption that was off base. Some random guy advertising his patreon in his review went off on a tangent about walking simulators rather than review it so yay. Press coverage? It barely got any and all they said prior to reviews was what could be seen by non press as well, ie, that it's beautiful and it has jumping and running. Nobody misled anyone, devs included.

Last edited:

Alexios

Even if the press was at any point misleading, which itself should have no bearing on the game or its developers, the store page itself is pretty damn clear (almost identical on Steam and Switch too).
Gris is a hopeful young girl lost in her own world, dealing with a painful experience in her life. Her journey through sorrow is manifested in her dress, which grants new abilities to better navigate her faded reality. As the story unfolds, Gris will grow emotionally and see her world in a different way, revealing new paths to explore using her new abilities.

GRIS is a serene and evocative experience, free of danger, frustration or death. Players will explore a meticulously designed world brought to life with delicate art, detailed animation, and an elegant original score. Through the game light puzzles, platforming sequences, and optional skill-based challenges will reveal themselves as more of Gris’s world becomes accessible.

GRIS is an experience with almost no text, only simple control reminders illustrated through universal icons. The game can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of their spoken language.
Dark Souls in 2D, this wasn't going to be. Should have refunded after an hour rather than hope it changes or hope you can first finish it and then still refund but lost track of the time limit, maybe. Tough.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bought the game yesterday for Switch. The price for once is the same as on Steam so there was no reason for me to buy it for PC, plus I for sure won't have time to play it on PC. Can't wait to play the game this weekend, And yeah, the art and animation is absolutely stunning:messenger_clapping:

Last edited:
Nomad studio is awesome. This is their first game and it looks like artist have a nich int ovideogames.

If anybody play it... I have the doubt if this game could be fun or not. People talks a lot about the art style, but hoe good if is the gameplay? Is it good? Anybody play it?

Looks like the IGN review is the most honest. Pretty game if you like the art style(I do not) but mostly a short linear platformer with some easy puzzles, confusing terrain and no challenge. There are 100s of better indie games for the same price and even for less. A hard pass.

Looks like the IGN review is the most honest. Pretty game if you like the art style(I do not) but mostly a short linear platformer with some easy puzzles, confusing terrain and no challenge. There are 100s of better indie games for the same price and even for less. A hard pass.
That´s what I thought

Alexios

Just finished it. I liked it a lot. So did most people if you aren't looking for a few opinions for your confirmation bias. It's a good experience. If you want the next Mario it's not the next Mario. It's an atmospheric interactive short story and worth every bit of the asking price given the brilliancy of everything on show. You can spend a couple hours getting lost and immersed in its beautiful little esoteric fantasy world or lament that you have not had the chance to kill otherworldly horrors, which you can do in any number of games out there. There's value here for what it is, if it happens to align with what you want at any time in the future, just as there's value in a Mario game but you have people saying omg platformers suck it's the same thing as Mario 64 all over again for the nth time. get with the times and play GoW and MHW!

Last edited:

Danjin44

I can tell you it means grey in french at least :)
You might be right about that. I heard the game made by Spanish developers so maybe “GRIS” is referring to Spanish painter that made cubism and we see that a lot of that in game’s aesthetics. But I could be wrong.

Typhares

You might be right about that. I heard the game made by Spanish developers so maybe “GRIS” is referring to Spanish painter that made cubism and we see that a lot of that in game’s aesthetics. But I could be wrong.
Actually I checked and it's also grey in spanish! We have a few common words like that :)

ROMhack

Very much my type of game but I'd rather wait a few months to play it. There's always a lot of 'baggage' with games of this type and I find it can unfairly ruin the experience.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
It's a 3-hour walking simulator. Just out of refund range. Classy.

Analysis of the genre: https://steamcommunity.com/id/icycalm/recommended/683320/

Honestly if you are buying indies to play them through quickly and then refund them then that's shitty behavior.

Maybe the refund range SHOULD be short enough that people can't just buy a game play it and then refund it.
Or maybe developers should keep that in mind when developing a game and make sure that it's long enough to be out of refund range.

That's common sense.

Saruhashi

Banned
No platforming and no puzzles, let alone clever ones. The way it was covered by the press was almost a scam. That's why everyone is confused even about the genre. It's not a metroidvania. It's a 2D walking simulator.

How was it a scam? From what I've seen it was always presented as an artistic indie project.

Jeez.

People need to be more willing to give indies some leeway.

This is a smaller game with a much narrower scope. Not some broad 40+ hour experience from a major publisher.

It's not that expensive either. 17 bucks is a little more than it would cost to buy a movie.

So maybe cut the devs some slack?

Looks like it is being decently reviewed too. I'm seeing 83/84 on Metacritic.

Saruhashi

Banned
This my first time making OTs so I'm sorry if is not well made.
If I broke some rules Mods should feel free to lock this.

It's very well made. You did a grand job!

Also the devs should give you a commission cos your OP convinced me to buy this later on this evening. Cheers!

Skill Up's review convinced me to buy Gris. Played for 15 minutes before going to bed last night. Beautiful game.
I'm not expecting a hardcore "gamey" experience. It seems to be similar to Journey and i loved that game.

Just finished it. I liked it a lot. So did most people if you aren't looking for a few opinions for your confirmation bias. It's a good experience. If you want the next Mario it's not the next Mario. It's an atmospheric interactive short story and worth every bit of the asking price given the brilliancy of everything on show. You can spend a couple hours getting lost and immersed in its beautiful little esoteric fantasy world or lament that you have not had the chance to kill otherworldly horrors, which you can do in any number of games out there. There's value here for what it is, if it happens to align with what you want at any time in the future, just as there's value in a Mario game but you have people saying omg platformers suck it's the same thing as Mario 64 all over again for the nth time. get with the times and play GoW and MHW!
How much did you spend to end the game?

ROMhack

How was it a scam? From what I've seen it was always presented as an artistic indie project.

Jeez.

People need to be more willing to give indies some leeway.

This is a smaller game with a much narrower scope. Not some broad 40+ hour experience from a major publisher.

It's not that expensive either. 17 bucks is a little more than it would cost to buy a movie.

So maybe cut the devs some slack?

Looks like it is being decently reviewed too. I'm seeing 83/84 on Metacritic.

Indeed. There's room for debate and that should always be encouraged even when an opinion is negative but not when people just want to be babies about it.

Unfortunately it happens quite often with indie games. I know I've been discouraged from making threads about them because there's a subset of users who are constantly negative.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Unfortunately it happens quite often with indie games. I know I've been discouraged from making threads about them because there's a subset of users who are constantly negative.

Indeed. Still, one should at least should pity such base creatures because it's clear that for them to be able to know joy and delight in the simple aesthetics of an experience is beyond them. It must make for a miserable existence.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Skill up already convinced me that the game is worth it!
However...

Currently nether the switch nor the desktop (obviously) have a retail version, and pieces of art like these should be owned, not rented as a licence.
Even if they release a retail on the switch, I don't have a switch! I can only hope for a PS4 version by Limited Run or something.

Danjin44

Skill up already convinced me that the game is worth it!
However...

Currently nether the switch nor the desktop (obviously) have a retail version, and pieces of art like these should be owned, not rented as a licence.
Even if they release a retail on the switch, I don't have a switch! I can only hope for a PS4 version by Limited Run or something.
I also would have love to buy physical version if possible and I'm surprised this game is not coming to PS4 or Xbox One.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gris in swedish means pig. If we are up for more foreign translations I mean :)

Anyway, the game looks beautiful. Just picked it up on the radar, deciding between this and Forgotten Anne as my Christmas games

Fuz

Banned
EXACTLY what I expected from that excessively praising review.

Why are people comparing this game to well known AAA published games as if all indie titles are small and short experiences? I've played many indie titles with more content than this GRIS likely has and some at less the cost. It's a myth that indies are all quaint little games because they're cheaper and sometimes in 2D. Just like AAA games indies can too be crap. No game gets a free pass.

And no there's no PS4 version. Incidently a user on ResetEra got a mod warning for "Port Begging" after he asked if there was going to be a PS4 version.

Danjin44

I've played many indie titles with more content than this GRIS likely has and some at less the cost. It's a myth that indies are all quaint little games because they're cheaper and sometimes in 2D.
For me its not about how much "content" it has its about the overall experience and for me personally the game well worth the asking price and absolutely LOOOOOOVE the art direction in this game.

Edit: Also can we not bring ResetEra in every conversations? Who the hell cares what they are doing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Music isn't why I play videoGAMES.
But it will enhance the experience like it did for me with NieR Automata and also I enjoy the platforming and the puzzles, sure it was on easy side but it was interesting and art direction and music made entire experience even better. This game never meant to be Castlevania or Mario and it never advertise as such. I like to play games like these one a while and it was damn good experience that I will never forget. If you don't like these type of games then don't buy it, simple as that.

Last edited:

MegaBustet

I just played through this and had a nice experience. It's quite like Limbo and Inside where there's not a lot of game play and just simple puzzles. Not physics puzzles like those two, just simple platforming and jumping puzzles in this one. It's also fairly short and incredibly easy which will most likely be great for those who aren't necessarily into videogames. It's certainly a visual and audible treat but beyond that it's tough to recommend. I feel a better price for it would be $10, but just under $15 on the Switch was fair enough.

A couple reviews described it as a Metroidvania which peeked my interest enough to buy it, but while that's true to an extent , unlike other games considered Metroidvania this one is highly linear and I found it's open map system to be completely unnecessary. The only reason you'd ever return to a zone is to look for and complete some collectables/achievements. It's a tough game to slap a review score on tbh because what it sets out to do it does wonderfully, however it's not "gamey" enough to be a great video game. It's more of an art piece.

Last edited:

ROMhack

But it will enhance the experience like it did for me with NieR Automata and also I enjoy the platforming and the puzzles, sure it was on easy side but it was interesting and art direction and music made entire experience even better. This game never meant to be Castlevania or Mario and it never advertise as such. I like to play games like these one a while and it was damn good experience that I will never forget. If you don't like these type of games then don't buy it, simple as that.

Yep, I find music definitely enhances, and sometimes defines, the experience of games. For me it's as equally as important as artstyle and gameplay (and they're all subjective).

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Music isn't why I play videoGAMES.

Sure, it's not why YOU play video games but it doesn't mean that a games soundtrack can't be the main attraction.

Would it help you if there was a distinction between "games" and "interactive experiences"?

Gris is a story told through visuals and music. It uses some quite mild interactivity (ie the game is not difficult) as a mechanism to immerse the viewer/listener/player/whatever in that story.

Again, this is where I think people need to cut indie developers some slack.
This "game" is their vision, their take on the medium, their way of telling their story.
I think that should be applauded.

Sometimes you don't need a ton of content or a challenging difficulty to create and engaging and worthwhile experience.

So while another indie like Hollow Knight may have way more content and way more gameplay they are completely different visions.

It's sad, kind of. The indie scene is really where people can take risks and experiment and do things that would be shot down instantly in the boardrooms of AAA developers. Yet still we have folks saying "music isn't why I play GAMES" and it doesn't have enough content or just outright claiming it's a "scam".

Of course, Indies are not above criticism. I just think it ought to be considered, thoughtful and overall valid criticism.

ROMhack

Sure, it's not why YOU play video games but it doesn't mean that a games soundtrack can't be the main attraction.

Would it help you if there was a distinction between "games" and "interactive experiences"?

Gris is a story told through visuals and music. It uses some quite mild interactivity (ie the game is not difficult) as a mechanism to immerse the viewer/listener/player/whatever in that story.

Again, this is where I think people need to cut indie developers some slack.
This "game" is their vision, their take on the medium, their way of telling their story.
I think that should be applauded.

Sometimes you don't need a ton of content or a challenging difficulty to create and engaging and worthwhile experience.

So while another indie like Hollow Knight may have way more content and way more gameplay they are completely different visions.

It's sad, kind of. The indie scene is really where people can take risks and experiment and do things that would be shot down instantly in the boardrooms of AAA developers. Yet still we have folks saying "music isn't why I play GAMES" and it doesn't have enough content or just outright claiming it's a "scam".

Of course, Indies are not above criticism. I just think it ought to be considered, thoughtful and overall valid criticism.

Yeah personally I'm a big fan of criticising games based on what they're trying to offer, not what I think they ought to do.

Shin

Banned
Art in motion, saw some gameplay trailers yesterday and beside the beautiful artwork the puzzles look interesting also.

Top Bottom