• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growing up not wealthy - a meal you ate so much and grew to hate it, but now love it

7vHeIwo.jpg

I still eat this shit. One of my coworkers called it prison food. lmao

I wouldn't say we were poor, but there were times that now I could tell my parents were squeezing the budget.
One thing was taking hamburger meat and mixing it with a can of tomato sauce. That's it. I tried it again when I was on my own and it was surprisingly good. But we had it way too many times growing up.
Oh yea, we'd have that over rice as well. Which is crazy , because chop meat was cheap, now it's stupid pricey.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I come from what is referred to as "The North" in the UK, spent a few years homeless as a kid, but we bounced back in the end.

But one thing I remember above all else was...

81ZGyyvaQQL._AC_SX342_.jpg

It's this... how do I describe it... cheap? Chemically? I mean yes but the closest I can think of is "childhood" it's a sort of super cheap "desert" ready mix that creates this... foam... that you then cool to create close to a mousse but with alot more air that just tastes of artificial whatever on the packet, I think butterscotch was wildly regarded as the closest to tasting "nice" out of the selection so that's what everyone had.

AngelDelight_Lidl_ButterscotchFlavourDessert_180501521_650x406.jpg

But I have friends from more affluent parts of the country who have never heard of this, its quite funny really. They always ask "does it taste nice?" To which I always respond "no, no it really doesn't" but for some reason I never turn my nose up at it when it's on offer and it feels comforting.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I come from what is referred to as "The North" in the UK, spent a few years homeless as a kid, but we bounced back in the end.

It's this... how do I describe it... cheap? Chemically? I mean yes but the closest I can think of is "childhood" it's a sort of super cheap "desert" ready mix that creates this... foam... that you then cool to create close to a mousse but with alot more air that just tastes of artificial whatever on the packet, I think butterscotch was wildly regarded as the closest to tasting "nice" out of the selection so that's what everyone had.

But I have friends from more affluent parts of the country who have never heard of this, its quite funny really. They always ask "does it taste nice?" To which I always respond "no, no it really doesn't" but for some reason I never turn my nose up at it when it's on offer and it feels comforting.
I’m from south east london. Had angel delight as a kid. I think it was ok. Really sugary lol

I would say it’s cheap and cheerful. It wouldn’t be enough in its own would have to have something with it. As I remember it’s quit airy. Also now nostalgic to eat it again.

Last edited:

lem0n

Fluffernutter sandwich with grape jelly. Bruh. I had one of those shits like every day of my life in elementary/middle school for lunch. It's peanut butter, Fluff marshmallow and grape jelly. I grew to despise it but only a year or two did I start making them again, and I love em so much.

Costco Rotisserie Chicken. My family bought one every week for most of my childhood. It was a $5 meal that fed a family of 5. You best believe my dad got it at every opportunity. I did not like it after a few years of eating it. Now, when I do randomly get one from Costco from time to time, it is damn good with some rice and green beans. Still $5 too.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Love butterscotch Angel Delight. Still buy Jello Butterscotch instant pudding from time to time.
Grew to almost hate roast chicken, roast potatoes, and peas and carrots with bisto as we had it so often. Also stuff like toad in the hole.
Also great to hate French bread with pate as our holidays were always camping trips driving around France and we had it for every lunch. Now I would kill for some proper fresh baked French bread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom