• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSC may be preparing a console version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. An early build was leaked

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

USA blogger nevajno1kto said that he got his hands on an early build of STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl for consoles. According to him, the release of the entire trilogy is planned in the future.

He published an archive of more than 4 GB with an early build and instructions for launching. The game works but crashes on PCs with AMD graphics cards. It also supports gamepads. And in the gameplay itself, the interface and other elements there are differences from the original.

The source notes that the game is being developed on a modified X-Ray Engine, but this is not done by GSC Game World. The company only supervises the process. At the same time, the studio itself has not yet commented on the leak.

Cutting the gameplay of an unannounced port of the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R. trilogy for consoles.
The video shows a merged Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl build with support for gamepads, an updated interface and inventory adapted for consoles.

I still remember the rumors about the 360 version back in the day.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Was recently thinking about replaying that whole series.

Will watch for them PS4 collection lol

Playing it with a controller would be great.
I'm not so sure about that. Firefights against humans tend to be more of a medium to long range affair and most of the time you will be trying to pick out distance enemies hiding against dark foliage or buildings. Aiming was quite difficult even with a mouse.

Kydd BlaZe

Tried mapping a controller with it years ago (no native controller support) with third party software and it felt like a nightmare. I never mastered kb&m controls so I play with a controller on PC. Never really could play STALKER with the controller. The aiming and gunfights were BRUTAL.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I'm not so sure about that. Firefights against humans tend to be more of a medium to long range affair and most of the time you will be trying to pick out distance enemies hiding against dark foliage or buildings. Aiming was quite difficult even with a mouse.
aim assist baby!!!!!!!

Hopefully with Gyro implemented as well.

CamHostage

So, consoles would = Xbox, right?

(Or maybe not... I thought Microsoft was sponsoring/publishing STALKER 2, but turns out it's just an exclusivity deal, and possibly a short one at that.) (I'm still glad MS is treating the sequel as prime Xbox product though no matter how long or short the window, GSC deserve a bright spotlight.)

Also, even though this seems meant for consoles (though there's some confusing wording about what's "confirmed" in this leak,) a revamped STALKER 1 could also be useful for Steam Deck (the game is currently marked as unsupported for Deck.) And it could be good for the game overall to get a slight refresh even for PC gamers (provided they don't "dumb it down" as it were; unfortunately a PC remastered release would probably split the player base so that could be a negative of having a PC re-release.) The original game has some clunkiness that could be ironed out in a cleaned-up version. (Some patches are out there as it is to deal with a few of the bugs and expansion-improvements.)

STALKER will be getting some reverse attention when the new game finally releases and always has players online, so hopefully this remaster turns out well.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Tried mapping a controller with it years ago (no native controller support) with third party software and it felt like a nightmare. I never mastered kb&m controls so I play with a controller on PC. Never really could play STALKER with the controller. The aiming and gunfights were BRUTAL.
Yup no native support is why I am glad to hear this ;)
It was to many things to map and the sticks felt off.

S0ULZB0URNE

I am sure it will be alleviated with this version.

PanzerAzel

I’d find that would be nearly impossible. Firefights in STALKER typically occur at long distances where pixel precision is needed, not to mention rapid target acquisition as enemies are quite quick and accurate. Playing with a controller would quickly drive me mad.

Though I’m speaking on mods here, not the vanilla trilogy, but even so I find a mouse is nigh required to stand any chance.

Kupfer

Hopefully with Gyro implemented as well.
I play it on the Deck right now with gyro aim activivated when aim down sights and it works flawlessly. The game itself runs and looks better than it did in 2007 on my PC.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. could definitely work on consoles without too many problems.

I’d find that would be nearly impossible. Firefights in STALKER typically occur at long distances where pixel precision is needed, not to mention rapid target acquisition as enemies are quite quick and accurate. Playing with a controller would quickly drive me mad.
As I said, works great as long as you aim with the gyro function. You're on point pretty quickly, aiming roughly at the enemy with the joysticks and fine tuning via real movement. Feels immersive too!

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Kupfer

So, this is basically Russian Fallout..? (that's not a bad thing, at all)
*Ukrainian, not Russian - and no, not really.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is way more gritty and unforgiving than Fallout. If Fallout still comes with comic-like jokes and retro charm, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is dirty and depressing, dark, dank and brutal. Give it a shot if you didn't play it yet, it is still playable today and feels up to date.

Last edited:
I'm going to laugh so hard if this really comes to fruition. The idea of taking one of the jankiest games of all time, barely held together on PC, stripping it of mod support, and trying to play it with a freaking console controller, is just far too insane for me to even imagine.

I'm going to laugh so hard if this really comes to fruition. The idea of taking one of the jankiest games of all time, barely held together on PC, stripping it of mod support, and trying to play it with a freaking console controller, is just far too insane for me to even imagine.
I actually like the idea a lot, because it presents a reasonable challenge for the devs to where the console version could potentially end up as a better version.

Also some here will question how it's even possible, but if we've figured out how to adapt PC games to console controls for over 30 years at this point I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can be figured out too.

It can't control any worse than Quake 3 on the Dreamcast. That's the bottom of the bar for me.

Top Bottom