• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

seattle6418 said:
Cool, but i hope it's just the tip of the iceberg.

Shows nothing we haven't seen before, footage only at HSR and Fuji.

But i'm on the hypetrain right now (GT press conference), so we'll see how it plays out tonight.

You shouldn't really expect anything new outside of cars for this thing. That's what it's all about.

TylerD

SolidSnakex said:
You shouldn't really expect anything new outside of cars for this thing. That's what it's all about.

Give me more pretty cars and trailers and I am happy! GT5 will be well worth the wait. Shame about the mega-thread though...

cakefoo said:

That's some pretty badass tech that they've created.

2medctg.jpg

2jg55qc.jpg

From what we've learned, you will be able to drive your real FT-86 around a real track -- the Nurburgring, for example -- and then remove the memory card from your car, plug it into your PS3 unit and either "watch" your lap virtually or race against yourself, as your real car appears as the "ghost car" that you battle against.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6612002/t...elf-virtually-in-gt5/index.html#ixzz0cg8y9Cbx

Hanmik

wow those pictures and that trailer just blows my mind.. but why oh why can they not make skidmarks..? come on that toyota trailer had the car drifting around corners, but NO skid marks.. ? such a simple detail, but it takes A LOT away from the complete package.. they are striving for realism, and they have tons of small details on the cars, but no skidmarks.. please someone tell me that Kaz will spill the beans about the full game this weekend..

DarkJC

Niks said:
So, should I update the OP, or this warrants a new thread??? (confused after the big GT5 thread was closed)

Yeah I think the mods really do need to provide some clarification about what is new thread worthy. I mean maybe this is impossible to do but there's so much new stuff that leaks out for GT5 I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too happy if we created new threads for every bit of info either.

The bit about it getting delayed was pretty major though, minor stuff like new trailers and videos maybe keep to an existing thread? Hell if I know.

Ideally for a game like this you have a megathread for the die hard fans to discuss and then simultaneous separate threads for the big news like the delay. In my opinion anyway.

spwolf

Wax Free Vanilla said:
A GPS unit that exports GT5 replay data? :lol

We're not getting anything worthwhile from this Tokyo show.

not sure if you are being positive or not... but racing on track is not cheap, in fact whole weekend is very expensive from tires, brakes to everything else.

Having ability to practice on your car in GT5, then go to the track, race there, and then compare that to your GT5 times in-game with replay and ghost car, is fucking amazing.

Dragnet

Saiyar said:
Imagine the Stig uses this with all his future powerlaps on the Top Gear Track. All they would have to do is upload the save files to the Top Gears website so everyone can download them and race the Stig.

OOOOOMMMMMGGGGG

spwolf

Saiyar said:
Imagine the Stig uses this with all his future powerlaps on the Top Gear Track. All they would have to do is upload the save files to the Top Gears website so everyone can download them and race the Stig.

cool, but denso does not build standalone units ;-). So only Toyota and Lexus models for now.

spwolf said:
Having ability to practice on your car in GT5, then go to the track, race there, and then compare that to your GT5 times in-game with replay and ghost car, is fucking amazing.

It's not.

You'll be faster in-game than on track by a large margin rendering this GPS unit useless. It should be good to take photos and videos of your real life track antics though...

spwolf

Wax Free Vanilla said:
It's not.

You'll be faster in-game than on track by a large margin rendering this GPS unit useless. It should be good to take photos and videos of your real life track antics though...

anlyzing your track performance in such manner is definetly very useful. it will give you same types of gains you might see in game when using ghosts, even if apsolute performance is not the same due to you being more restrained on real track.

Goldrusher

spwolf said:
cool, but denso does not build standalone units ;-). So only Toyota and Lexus models for now.
Time to get a Toyota for the reasonable priced car. Maybe a Prius to please the green party.

Goldrusher said:
They announced that feature in 2006.

It was announced for GTHD. People still aren't sure about how many of those features will make it over to GT5. Although at this point the majority of the features on that list are in GT5.

spwolf

SolidSnakex said:
It was announced for GTHD. People still aren't sure about how many of those features will make it over to GT5. Although at this point the majority of the features on that list are in GT5.

i am not even sure if he actually confirmed clubs actually...a lot of things are sometimes lost in translation.. he did ask people not to nitpick or they will never be happy :)

kikanny

You know what? All this 3D and GPS replay stuff are good. I appreciate the technology. But I just want to play the damn game!

Aspiring

I just want this game so bad. It is my most anticipated game of . . . hopefully 2010. Every tiny bit of info and screens makes me wet myself.

ShapeGSX

I'm surprised that a GPS is accurate enough.

Garmin says that their GPS devices are accurate to within 15 meters, and 3 meters if you use their WAAS system:
http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

3 meters of accuracy might make for a disappointing ghost.

Still, it is a cool application of an existing technology.

spwolf said:
i am not even sure if he actually confirmed clubs actually...a lot of things are sometimes lost in translation.. he did ask people not to nitpick or they will never be happy :)

Well, he was asked point blank if we'll be able to set up car clubs and racing leagues and he said "Yes". That's good enough for me.

Here's the old GTHD feature list

313sino.jpg

The only features on that list that haven't been confirmed for GT5 are Track Day, B Spec, Bulletin Board, Spectator Mode, Livery Editor, License Plate Editor and Race Builder.

Goldrusher

I want it back.

And I'm sure it will be. In fact, in GT PSP you can have your B-spec driver participate in online races.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ShapeGSX said:
I'm surprised that a GPS is accurate enough.

Garmin says that their GPS devices are accurate to within 15 meters, and 3 meters if you use their WAAS system:
http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

3 meters of accuracy might make for a disappointing ghost.

Still, it is a cool application of an existing technology.

More important inside the device are speed sensors and accelerometers. I doubt its just a straight up GPS like you are thinking.

I have seen something similar to this but for winter sports in general to help with skiing. And it records not only locations, but also speed, acceleration, G-forces and a slew of other things to improve athletic performance. Its being used right now with the Olympic teams. So its not just "hey this is your driving/ski line", its more like you "turned too slow here, too fast there, rates of descent..."

Niks said:
The Tokyo Auto Salon is underway and GT5 will have a big presence at the show.
Not just the tokyo auto salon.

The Brussels auto salon is also having a GT5 stand at this moment. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

So is the Tokyo Auto Salon show finished for today? Or is it possible to get some more information over the weekend?!

I think Polyphony Digital is quite clever with getting their fans exited, because even the tiniest and most minor details that are release, get us exited. Also they have had such a steady stream of information coming out, like new information every week. I think they're very clever!

torontoml

ashbash159 said:
So is the Tokyo Auto Salon show finished for today? Or is it possible to get some more information over the weekend?!

I think Polyphony Digital is quite clever with getting their fans exited, because even the tiniest and most minor details that are release, get us exited. Also they have had such a steady stream of information coming out, like new information every week. I think they're very clever!

Well its probably over for today since its like 12:30am over there, but ya i say we will get some more stuff over the weekend.

ashbash159 said:

It's finished for today but the show and GT event runs through Sunday.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
o_O @ the importable toyota telemetry!

as sombody who's worked with similar real-world data let me assure you the task to precisely track the car on an arbitray cicruit is not the most trivial of things - it involves multiple GPS readings (basically, a super-position) and the input from a bunch of other spatial sensors (acceleremeters & gyros), and all that should be passed through some robust algorithms to finally get a reliable trajectory. i wonder if the final step is done on-board the car or the export is in a raw form and GT does the final conversion to a trajectory.

i never thought i'd see the day, but with the new physics model from TT, real-world ghost data, and the simulated wind tunnel, the 'real driving simulator' is finally living up to its name. respect.

Top Bottom