• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

qorer said:
It is just me or the overall texture work on the track seems to be much improved (over 5P)?

never noticed all those details on the track side and the track itself.. (little flowers, earth between the grass and the... (red and white thing that I forgot the name now, sorry...), the grassed areas seems to "stand out" from the flat ground... ^^

or maybe its just because I never played the game with that camera :p

--
here is what I mean:
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9722/gt5fuji.png

28jkvmd.png

Same area from Prologue
346w1fo.png

Firewire

Banned
^^ Seriously impressive.

The ruts in the ground the track texture, the lighting everything has been stepped up big time.

Garjon

Holy wow that's a massive improvement. It may just be an artifact, but the rubber strip looks wet there; weather effect?

BeeDog

Cool improvement, it's not as clinical as before! Though it might just be different because of the capturing conditions, I really like the update to the lighting the most; it's not as washed out anymore.

Firewire

Banned
BeeDog said:
Cool improvement, it's not as clinical as before! Though it might just be different because of the capturing conditions, I really like the update to the lighting the most; it's not as washed out anymore.

Yeah its very vibrant now, the washed out tone in GT5P bothered me allot.

Gek54

BeeDog said:

WANT

So was the 370Z TT demo still running on the Prologue engine?

BeeDog

Rapping Granny said:
Awesome improvment, if only we could get direct feed shots instead of crappy spy shots.

Admit it, there's a certain charm to scrounging for every bit of new info like a heroin addict. :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Gek54 said:
WANT

So was the 370Z TT demo still running on the Prologue engine?

Its not just an issue of engine, but also texture work. TT may have included older texture sets to keep download file size small. But no one really knows.

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
It was the same graphics engine but with a new physics engine.

Is there actually any confirmation of this? I seriously doubt the TT demo is still the Prologue engine; would seem like an utter waste of time to implement the new physics in the old engine. I would think that the TT demo was the (at the time) most current snapshot of the GT5 engine.

wouwie

Somehow, the new footage looks a lot more vibrant, less sterile then GT5P. Great textures on the road side, good lightning.

Looks great.

BeeDog said:
Is there actually any confirmation of this? I seriously doubt the TT demo is still the Prologue engine; would seem like an utter waste of time to implement the new physics in the old engine. I would think that the TT demo was the (at the time) most current snapshot of the GT5 engine.

Prologue is GT5's graphics engine though. That doesn't meant that it hasn't gone through improvements, but it's the same engine.

DEO3

SolidSnakex said:
http://i45.tinypic.com/28jkvmd.png

Same area from Prologue
http://i48.tinypic.com/346w1fo.png

Posts like this are what make the wait bearable. For the longest time it didn't really feel like they were doing anything over there - all the while claiming the game was ready to ship. Glad to see they've got some surprises in store for us after all.

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
Prologue is GT5's graphics engine though? It doesn't meant that it hasn't gone through improvements, but it's the same engine.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Either way, the TT demo didn't really do many favors for the game (outside of the much improved physics, which I bet most casuals will brush off/ignore/not notice); time to open the flood gates soon.

I don't like racing games all that much.. But I always enjoy following GT5 threads. The immense amount of effort that is going into this game is awing.
This is said with any malice, but I can feel the social/work of life of so many GAFfers is going to end as soon as this game releases :lol

(same happens to me when a new Civ gets released.)

alba

Little is the new Big
DEO3 said:
Posts like this are what make the wait bearable. For the longest time it didn't really feel like they were doing anything over there - all the while claiming the game was ready to ship. Glad to see they've got some surprises in store for us after all.

This is PD we're talking about, we've seen almost nothing :p

BeeDog

anonymousAversa said:
Sorry if old, but does this mean skid marks are in?

IIRC there aren't any in prologue.

I'm pretty sure Kaz laughed at a skid mark question some interviewer put forth. I doubt we'll see it in GT5, they simply don't care about introducing them, or they really need the memory to push other stuff.

AndyD

aka andydumi
anonymousAversa said:
Sorry if old, but does this mean skid marks are in?

IIRC there aren't any in prologue.

No. They can be prebaked into the track texture. We still don't know but indications are that there will be no skid marks. Kaz has said fans should not get bent out of shape over something simple like skidmarks missing where there so much more content that is in the game. I didnt mean simple to do, but simple as in it does not really affect gameplay at all. I think he mentioned it specifically.

Mad_Ban

Looks like the tracks are finally getting up to the same spec as the cars. :D

Summer/Fall can't come soon enough for this baby.

Firewire

Banned
BeeDog said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Either way, the TT demo didn't really do many favors for the game (outside of the much improved physics, which I bet most casuals will brush off/ignore/not notice); time to open the flood gates soon.

Indy is so bland overall, keeping it true to life PD can't really do much with that track. I honestly think they choose Indy because they didn't want to give away to much of the new look in the TT.

It's a bit crazy but the amount of time PD has probably but into the new physics engine won't be realized by at least 85-90% of buyers. Only the the hardcore pro physics racers will notice the vast improvement.

Leckan

What do you people think PD were doing with their time? Did you think they wouldn't use their time to polish up and improve many of the assets?

RankoSD

DEO3 said:
For the longest time it didn't really feel like they were doing anything over there - all the while claiming the game was ready to ship. Glad to see they've got some surprises in store for us after all.
Believe me, when you see the wet track at night then you'll know what they were doing...

BeeDog

Disappointing, but ultimately not really surprising after all the back-and-forths lately. Seems the game's either in worse shape than expected, or Sony's giving PD additional development time to strategically launch the game in a better, more fitting time frame.

I really, really like the way they've handed the edge of the track (or rather the grass) in the shot above. It's little details like that which make a big difference to me.

offshore

Possible reason No. 3335 for the delay: maybe this PS3 shortage Sony say they're experiencing has played a factor.

They say it will last for a few months.

From the looks of it, they added more detail but the camera/offscreen is attributing to the colors probably more than what was changed. For example, you can't even read the time under the rearview mirror, where as the second pic, you can. It reminds me of the two GOW3 picks with KRatos ripping off Helios' head.

p_p_o_d

Banned
BeeDog said:
Disappointing, but ultimately not really surprising after all the back-and-forths lately. Seems the game's either in worse shape than expected, or Sony's giving PD additional development time to strategically launch the game in a better, more fitting time frame.

or it could just be a marketing thing. they could be timing it with a ps3 price drop to $250.

yeah... not gonna happen

offshore

p_p_o_d said:
or it could just be a marketing thing. they could be timing it with a ps3 price drop to $250.

yeah... not gonna happen

It's possible. $250 would give the PS3 and GT5 a real solid kick. Although will the cost of building the PS3 have dipped below $250 by the latter half of the year? Questionable. I can't see Sony dropping the price if they won't make money on it.

Firewire said:
It's a bit crazy but the amount of time PD has probably but into the new physics engine won't be realized by at least 85-90% of buyers. Only the the hardcore pro physics racers will notice the vast improvement.

On some car forums, I actually saw people complaining about the TT's physics over Prologue. I explained it was pro physics only for the TT. It's the "getting owned and crashing a lot, something must be wrong with it attitude". :lol

Afrikan

BeeDog said:

does anyone think that Sony will not have as many games in development next gen, to avoid situations like this...

I mean we have MAG, Heavy Rain, MLB The Show, GOW3, FFXIII (I know its not Sony) all releasing so close together....coupled with all these other 3rd party games.

I personally hope they stick with the current plan, but I don't think they will....maybe if everything was released when it was originally planned it would have looked differently.....but I'm sure sales are being effected somewhere with all these exclusives releasing that close to each other.

Norml

AndyD said:
No. They can be prebaked into the track texture. We still don't know but indications are that there will be no skid marks. Kaz has said fans should not get bent out of shape over something simple like skidmarks missing where there so much more content that is in the game. I didnt mean simple to do, but simple as in it does not really affect gameplay at all. I think he mentioned it specifically.

That really sucks if true.I wish they were pressed about it as much as car destruction.

J-Rzez

Skid marks are really serious business it seems. I hope that this game is packed with enough content and good enough to kick start the car cultures again here in the States, and get this type of racing game on the radars again. It's going to blow up in EU that's for sure, and do ok in Japan, but I wonder how it's going to do in the States due to the current situation/climate.

Norml

SolidSnakex said:
Are you actually being serious about that?

Very serious. It should be a simple effect and is in every racing game I can think of.Having fun doing doughnuts becomes pretty much pointless to me without marks.

Niks

Norml said:
Very serious. It should be a simple effect and is in every racing game I can think of. Having fun doing doughnuts becomes pretty much pointless to me without marks.

I think you meant,
doing doughnuts is pretty much pointless

;)

Top Bottom