• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You know what is sad, though? The game won't have that level of AA but could if they implemented MLAA...Come on Sony, spread the tech...

equap said:
6hq2k3.jpg

all i need is rain and i will never play another racing game for the next 5 years

Yoboman

So are these tracks available in night and day or are they specifically one or the other per track?

You know what is sad, though? The game won't have that level of AA but could if they implemented MLAA...Come on Sony, spread the tech...

PD don't share tech with the Western studios do they?

paskowitz

I believe (magazine interview mentioned it once) every track will have a night and day mode. Each track may also get TODs like NFS Shift. We have seen the Nurburgring in various lighting condition in trailers vs gameplay. One thing is for sure, if there is rain and night racing the number of cars on track will NOT be 16. The PS3 is crazy powerful but not that crazy powerful. I would expect somewhere around 8 cars at once. Night races may also have less cars due to the increased amount of lights and shadows. We all know the PS3 can do both but at 1080p, 60fps, 16 * X00K polly count per car + the track... I don't think so. But hell if I care.

Ashes

Banned
You know that game testing reality show, I'd embarrass my self on that to beta test this...:lol
We should picket outside pd studios to release it already... :D

mr_nothin

Banned
paskowitz said:
I believe (magazine interview mentioned it once) every track will have a night and day mode. Each track may also get TODs like NFS Shift. We have seen the Nurburgring in various lighting condition in trailers vs gameplay. One thing is for sure, if there is rain and night racing the number of cars on track will NOT be 16. The PS3 is crazy powerful but not that crazy powerful. I would expect somewhere around 8 cars at once. Night races may also have less cars due to the increased amount of lights and shadows. We all know the PS3 can do both but at 1080p, 60fps, 16 * X00K polly count per car + the track... I don't think so. But hell if I care.
"No way PD will be able to pull off 8 cars @ that level of detail and still have 60fps at that resolution.....i'll bet my account on it"

Seeing that trailer running at 60fps like that makes me hope they put one of the PS3 daisy-chain solutions into the final game so we can have all replays look that smooth.

Danielsan said:
A lack of rain would be unacceptable.
PG4 did it years ago and it looked stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UdhvpmxLU8
That video is the exact reason why I don't play in driver/dashboard/inside-car cam in pretty much every racing game. Unlike real life, there is absolutely no way to properly see the road especially if you're climbing a hill.
jsdc47.jpg

See what I mean? Can't even see a speck of track in that one.

jhenedo

Banned
RustyNails said:
That video is the exact reason why I don't play in driver/dashboard/inside-car cam in pretty much every racing game. Unlike real life, there is absolutely no way to properly see the road especially if you're climbing a hill.

Wow for a minute i thought that was gt5.....phew!! LOL

Atrus

Gold Member
-viper- said:
So it appears they've increased the night racing limit from one car to three. So we'll be able to race in night after all!

4. One of the screens shows at least 4 cars at night.

Iknos

RustyNails said:

That was the case for certain cars. Not all cars were like that and GT as well as many other racers don't have that problem.

2v7vvqe.png

Seeing the effect we've seen before in the GC demo here on the headlights. You can see the light hitting the plastic.

dlj41d.png
[/QUOTE]

Nice to see the dash being lit by the streetlights. No self shadowing like in daytime but I didn't expect that. Just like in the daytime the helmet seems to use the same reflectionmap as the car. Looks good.

-SD- said:
The roads are always unrealistically flat in these driving games.

Aren't many street circuits freshly paved before any big racing event?

Modern day sims do accurately render road imperfections for real life circuits.

Dynamic3

I agree that pretty much every racing game (aside from iR) over-smooths the roads, but hose night shots look unreal!

---

Is there an incentive to keep the Prologue disc when GT5 hits? I'm considering unloading it as I now have FM3 to tide me over.

paskowitz

mr_nothin said:
"No way PD will be able to pull off 8 cars @ that level of detail and still have 60fps at that resolution.....i'll bet my account on it"

Ah ha, I see what you did there (also I said 16 cars is not possible not 8). If I am wrong I will drive a pink car for the first 5 races of the game. Promise.

Are they guessing or do they know something?

Sony has sold over 55 million copies of its "Gran Turismo" racing simulation franchise worldwide. Its newest title, "Gran Turismo 5," will be available for PlayStation 3 users this autumn and introduces NASCAR to its garage of racing vehicles.

The game is expected to feature over 1,000 cars, ranging from Japanese tuner cars to concept cars, as well as tracks from around the globe. The game will also feature stereoscopic 3D technology for the first time. Racing games keep fans coming back for sequels.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/new-racing-videogames-set-to-rev-up-sales/1393665

twinturbo2 said:
I will LMFAO if this "revolutionary feature" is a rewind mechanic like in Forza 3 or GRID. :lol

I really doubt that rewind is what they're talking about. The main rumored feature for GT5 is a course creator. And if that is in then it would be revolutionary. Yes it's been in other games but it's never been in a sim (at least as far as I know) which would be a big change.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SolidSnakex said:
I really doubt that rewind is what they're talking about. The main rumored feature for GT5 is a course creator. And if that is in then it would be revolutionary. Yes it's been in other games but it's never been in a sim (at least as far as I know) which would be a big change.
A track creator would be revolutionary, but I doubt it would happen, unless it's a DLC add-on...

That being said, I would like rewind in GT5. It would take the frustration out of the endurance races.

twinturbo2 said:
That being said, I would like rewind in GT5. It would take the frustration out of the endurance races.

It kind of ruins the point of an endurance race if there's never a fear of screwing up and it costing your everything.

Iknos

twinturbo2 said:
A track creator would be revolutionary, but I doubt it would happen, unless it's a DLC add-on...

Considering the time it's been taking it's not outside the realm of possibility that this feature could be ready for launch.

If there is a course creator then I don't think that it'll be DLC. Kaz sort of got pissed the last time he was asked about DLC. I think he's gotten the feeling that some people expect them to hold features, cars or courses back so that they can sell them to us later. He's made the point that everything that they want in the game will be there when you buy it.

Now that doesn't meant hat we won't get DLC. But he seems to be saying that everything that they have completed at the time of launch will be on the disc will be there when you buy the game. So you aren't going to have a RE5 situation for example.

Top Bottom