• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Rumors: French Magazine with Kazunori Yamauchi reveals...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gek54 said:
Dont let Alphasnake's inability to shift gears and hold his girlfriend's hand at the same time represent American drivers, many of us do swear by the stick.

What the f*ck? I never said I disliked driving manual. If I lived outside of NYC, I'd have a manual. But I don't. And this coming from someone who was showing me links on AIM of an Audi equipped with an auto sportshift that you wanted to buy.

Check mate. =)

Edit: And I suggest we end it there, let's not take this OT.

waxer

I still dont get the physics thing. It doesnt seem to have helped much for me. Its cool knowing whats going on behind the scenes, but these games always seem to be toned down for the masses. with invisable assists anyways making half of it pointless. How far do you go on a console where your primary control is a pad anyway.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
waxer said:
I still dont get the physics thing. It doesnt seem to have helped much for me. Its cool knowing whats going on behind the scenes, but these games always seem to be toned down for the masses. with invisable assists anyways making half of it pointless. How far do you go on a console where your primary control is a pad anyway.

Yeaah....once you turn off assists in GTHD Concept, it's an all new ball game. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING holds your hand anymore.

Hunter D said:
:lol
PC says hi. Before the PS1 was released companies like Sierra had released racing sims.

Actually I don't remenber how was the physics in those games... Oh wait, they didn't have physics at all!!!

the biggest complain with GT4 physics was that in normal cars, the real life tires would underperform and the real engines would overperform. in the end, it kind of evens out, and you get laptimes close to real life when using N tires.

onde they get over the hump of simulating tire grip and the physics applied there, GT will be very close to a good sim. still, as a driving game, its not even debatable. racing in GT is somewhat boring, but driving is amazing.

one of the problems GT faces is that is so much of a mass market product... how much will they go in the sim camp, considering that most of my friends can't even play GT4 in manual? i mean, they will improve, but not "flight simulator-kind of sim".

i hope they have the same attention with the sound as they are having with graphics. sound is so huge, and so overlooked in past GT's. 7.1 says "hi". i really hope PD says "hey nice to meet you, we will use it".

and, in a list of things they should focus... c'mon, the tuning has the same options since GT1. also, same thing applies to carrear mode. time to shake those elements. GT sometimes feels too much robotic. they can add the human aspect that the series is lacking.

oh, i'm so going to buy a G25 since in living in the US right now... i really hope they let us use H mode/clitch in GT5.

about this thread becoming a flame war... i agree with alphasnake. please, lets look at history. GT1 was the best looking gam on the PS1 at the time. same thing applies to GT3-PS2. i think its ok to expect this trend to continue with GT5-PS3

Core407

Banned
seattle6418 said:
the biggest complain with GT4 physics was that in normal cars, the real life tires would underperform and the real engines would overperform. in the end, it kind of evens out, and you get laptimes close to real life when using N tires.

onde they get over the hump of simulating tire grip and the physics applied there, GT will be very close to a good sim. still, as a driving game, its not even debatable. racing in GT is somewhat boring, but driving is amazing.

one of the problems GT faces is that is so much of a mass market product... how much will they go in the sim camp, considering that most of my friends can't even play GT4 in manual? i mean, they will improve, but not "flight simulator-kind of sim".

i hope they have the same attention with the sound as they are having with graphics. sound is so huge, and so overlooked in past GT's. 7.1 says "hi". i really hope PD says "hey nice to meet you, we will use it".

and, in a list of things they should focus... c'mon, the tuning has the same options since GT1. also, same thing applies to carrear mode. time to shake those elements. GT sometimes feels too much robotic. they can add the human aspect that the series is lacking.

oh, i'm so going to buy a G25 since in living in the US right now... i really hope they let us use H mode/clitch in GT5.

about this thread becoming a flame war... i agree with alphasnake. please, lets look at history. GT1 was the best looking gam on the PS1 at the time. same thing applies to GT3-PS2. i think its ok to expect this trend to continue with GT5-PS3

And in dash views plz

ThirdEye

seattle6418 said:

Have you played GTHD? If so what's your impression about it?

asclepio_gtr said:

Actually I don't remenber how was the physics in those games... Oh wait, they didn't have physics at all!!!

Ever heard of Grand Prix Legends?

Okay the game was published somewhat after GT but it was one of the first games to get the physics right. The games' physics still aren't outdated to this day. This can't be said of GT.

FightyF

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Sorry but GT is does NOT have Arcade gameplay, AT ALL, worst physics or not... Infact i find Forza to be more arcady then GT despite the better physics.

What.
The.
Bloody.
Hell.

And I never say "bloody". Never.

Bouncing off of cars like bumper cars IS arcadey gameplay.

The Drivatar is the best thing that has happened to AI in console racers. When you raced others in Forza, you were actually dueling with other racers. They raced as if they had their own emotions, and reacted accordingly.

Which is why I hope PD dedicates a lot of research and resources to new AI. GT needs to become a racing game...it's been a driving game for far too long. Personally I don't mind if PD decides to make it a Time Trial game with leaderboards and such, I'm having fun with GT:HD and that's all that is. But it looks like they want online play, want multiple cars, etc. etc. that they want to make a racer. Well, the most important step along with upgrading the physics to Forza's level is to upgrade the AI.

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
GTjoypad1.jpg

GTjoypad2.jpg

GTjoypad3.jpg

GTjoypad4.jpg

Nürburgring :
GTjoypad5.jpg

seb

Banned
2nd picture is a "test" of the 300 SL model in a real environment: on the roof of the building. Awesome. I wish they would release some of those test shots :D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
drool. thanks for the pictures, even if not perfect. Looks great.

If somebody at PD is listening. I only have one thing to say. Clutch + H-pattern shifting support for the g25.

Fight for Freeform said:
The Drivatar is the best thing that has happened to AI in console racers. When you raced others in Forza, you were actually dueling with other racers. They raced as if they had their own emotions, and reacted accordingly.

Fight for Freeform said:
What.
The.
Bloody.
Hell.

... And the GT bashing over here is really sad.

Keesie

Thanks for the a little better scans! :)

Man, just read that forums where this came from...they will release the full scans today....but when today :O

bud

Keesie said:
Thanks for the a little better scans! :)

Man, just read that forums where this came from...they will release the full scans today....but when today :O

thanks alot for mentioning said forum :)

adelante

Max@GC said:
Dunno if mentioned before but there´s a video of it:

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/107761682720070521133448.jpg[//IMG]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvUC7dW8EQ[/url][/QUOTE]
translation, stat!!

ram

Sirolf said:
And the big news from the article : FULL HD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat
* Spectator mode (à la PGR3)
* Possibility to create Clubs

-Test playground for the future GT5

And..that's all :)

what? its a bit late for a hd version of gt4 - i mean, its nice to have visuals on par with gt hd demo, but the game remains the same (inclusive tracks) and especially the singleplayer needs to be redefined.

Yoboman

Yeah that HD GT4 doesn't sound right at all. So they're going to be releasing content for GTHD; releasing GT5 Prologue; GT4 remake and GT5 within about a year of eachother

GT4 Remake just doesn't fit in especially after they cancelled it and all, are you sure that's right?

seb

Banned
so GT4HD with micro transactions is back... weird. I'll wait for prices before making my opinion

EDIT: really interesting interview. About damages he has this to say:

"It's a delicate problem. We've made our calculations already: If a car touches the rail(?) above a certain speed in some places, damages will be huge, players have no idea. So either we apply the real consequences of leaving the track, or we tone them down and we risk not being completely realistic. In my opinion we should go for the first option, but will players accept that ?"

So, he could do realistic damages, so much so that it would piss off players. I like the sound of that :D

Sorry for my english by the way.

EDIT2: About online:

"you will be able to race online but you will also be able to watch others in realtime"
"it will be possible to exchange car settings online"

Ranger X

Yoboman said:
Yeah that HD GT4 doesn't sound right at all. So they're going to be releasing content for GTHD; releasing GT5 Prologue; GT4 remake and GT5 within about a year of eachother

GT4 Remake just doesn't fit in especially after they cancelled it and all, are you sure that's right?

I'm sure that's bullshit. GT4 simply was the the non-premium part of GTHD. It has been cancelled and only the premium part has been released as GTHD. (i know that you know)
It would be stupid they release it anyways, especially when they went "we cancel this to focus on GT5".

Greg

I remember playing GT4 online - it was a good time, but there were a ton of drops and lag issues...much to be expected of tunneling, but it was fun.

Pimpwerx

seb said:
so GT4HD with micro transactions is back... weird. I'll wait for prices before making my opinion

EDIT: really interesting interview. About damages he has this to say:

"It's a delicate problem. We've made our calculations already: If a car touches the rail(?) above a certain speed in some places, damages will be huge, players have no idea. So either we apply the real consequences of leaving the track, or we tone them down and we risk not being completely realistic. In my opinion we should go for the first option, but will players accept that ?"

So, he could do realistic damages, so much so that it would piss off players. I like the sound of that :D

Sorry for my english by the way.

EDIT2: About online:

"you will be able to race online but you will also be able to watch others in realtime"
"it will be possible to exchange car settings online"
This is what I'm talking about right here. Do it, Kaz. For all the bitches moaning about damage, give them REAL damage. It doesn't have to manifest itself externally on the car, but show people the real consequences of leaving the driving line. Show people like Fight For Freedom that you have a choice to play the game like an asshole, or realistically. There's nothing arcadey about GT's gameplay, it's the people who choose to play it like bumpercars that are the problem. The game is a driving simulator, and the reward is in proper driving. A 30+ mph impact should end your race in any production car. For racing cars, you can probably double that. Ha! Then people will complain that the game is unfair.

People don't want realism. They want some arbitrary handicap b/c they can't restrain themselves from cheating. But give them realism, and they'll pull their hair out in frustration. Why do most people skip going for golds on the license tests? They challenge you the most on driving skill, and even small cockups can result in failing the test. Isn't that realistic? Or is that too realistic?

Bah, I don't care about cosmetic damage. I don't care much about AI. Give me a good driving model, and give me online. That's all I'll need. PEACE.

RavenFox

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
This is what I'm talking about right here. Do it, Kaz. For all the bitches moaning about damage, give them REAL damage. It doesn't have to manifest itself externally on the car, but show people the real consequences of leaving the driving line. Show people like Fight For Freedom that you have a choice to play the game like an asshole, or realistically. There's nothing arcadey about GT's gameplay, it's the people who choose to play it like bumpercars that are the problem. The game is a driving simulator, and the reward is in proper driving. A 30+ mph impact should end your race in any production car. For racing cars, you can probably double that. Ha! Then people will complain that the game is unfair.

People don't want realism. They want some arbitrary handicap b/c they can't restrain themselves from cheating. But give them realism, and they'll pull their hair out in frustration. Why do most people skip going for golds on the license tests? They challenge you the most on driving skill, and even small cockups can result in failing the test. Isn't that realistic? Or is that too realistic?

Bah, I don't care about cosmetic damage. I don't care much about AI. Give me a good driving model, and give me online. That's all I'll need. PEACE.

Thats exactly what Scaff was saying over at gtplanet.[He's one of the mods]. People dont seem to understand tha treal crashes are tremendous even at 40mph. Crashes in games are not realistic and for people crying for it might not like the results. If Kazunori makes it an option I all for it.
Dude best post of the thread goes to you. Your absolutely right about folks skipping the gold in license test.

Pimpwerx

spwolf said:
not much of physics there :)
Ha! If it wasn't just nostalgia clouding my memory, I'd wager that NASCAR running @ 5fps on my old 486, with a 40 car field at Talladega, featured better physics than any game made for any console...ever. No shit, it had crazy particle effects for crashes too. Body panels would tear and fly off just like in the real thing. the Indycar sim from Papyrus was even more brutal, and that was running on early Pentiums as well IIRC. Not much in the way of GPU assistance at that time for graphics. Video cards were just rasterizers at the time. So, I'd wager that Papyrus set the bar out of reach of console games like 15 years ago. PEACE.

kassatsu

Banned
F-Pina said:
I am sorry to say to all Americans in NeoGaf but...

Stick shift RULES!!! :D

I already tried driving with automatic and i cannot believe how underpowered i feel on a car with automatic gears...
Europeans for the win :lol
Spoiler alert: i live in
the US
and drive a
stick shift
OMGZ!!!!!11

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
RavenFox said:
Thats exactly what Scaff was saying over at gtplanet.[He's one of the mods]. People dont seem to understand tha treal crashes are tremendous even at 40mph. Crashes in games are not realistic and for people crying for it might not like the results. If Kazunori makes it an option I all for it.
Dude best post of the thread goes to you. Your absolutely right about folks skipping the gold in license test.

I've always been confused as to why the damage calculation that was used in license tests (which would disqual you for going off the track and if you hit barriers at any reasonable amount of force), wasn't at the very least an option in GT games.

Unrealistic damage IMO is pretty meaningless. If you're going to be building a real driving simulator, then you're not going to be driving around AFTER you've hit a barrier at over 40mph. If there's not enough processing power, or the legal wrangling wasn't unsuccessful... I don't see why they need to negate consequences all together!

That said, it's pretty important to have it as an OPTION rather than mandatory though; when you're learning the game, you ARE going to bump into walls and what not. When you're not on the road in the car; and you don't have your bones and limbs on the line, you're not going to get past that sense of disconnectedness from driving, no matter how realistic the game is.
But if you suffer the realistic consequences without option; you're going to get pretty damn frustrated learning the ropes of the game; the tracks and the handling of the cars.

Even if they don't have 'damage' for production cars, I certainly hope the option for race ending consequences are there; and maybe the approriate rewards for embracing those consequences (by turning on the option!)

That's the kind of stuff the PD team need to work on. The actual game portion of Gran Turismo.

Ranger X

Pimpwerx said:

And reading your post there makes me think about (again) how car manifacturers are douche and are stupid.
Most don't want their car "raced" in order not to show people to drive mad and some also don't want damage because they don't want to break their "image" (wich means nothing really).

If videogames would give real consequences (put it as an on/off option, nobody can complain that way) those games would actually HELP people behave better at the wheel and people would be aware cars aren't invicible, speed kills, etc.
Cars manifacturers think that car simulators are harmfull while in fact they are preventing them from being benefital to people (and to them by the same occasion)

Gek54

Any performance damage is better than no damage at all especially for online racing. Keeps people honest without giving them an excuse about it being unfair.

Forsete

Gek54 said:
Any performance damage is better than no damage at all especially for online racing. Keeps people honest without giving them an excuse about it being unfair.

*looks at F1 CE*

Umm.. Not always. :(

bud

somebody on that forum did a translation on the third page and said this:

After reading parts of the interview with Kaz (which was rather tiresome, my French sucks ), it seems pretty definite that only race cars will have damage. He could've mentioned damage on normal cars is still uncertain, but he just said "certain cars will have damage, race cars in specific". Then again, he could also have mentioned damage on normal cars is out of the question, yet he didn't. Seems like he really avoided the topic.

The good news is he'd personally opt for completely realistic and thus extremely punishing damage. Nothing dumbed down, and they've already collected all the data they'd need for it. But his (probably justified) concern is that most of the gamers would be tunred off by it. Maybe they should offer a choice of some sort, as I'd really love to see how PD would implement the most realistic damage in a game ever.

so basically, damage is only for race cars and not the other cars?

Greg

I can see it now...users flooding GT5 topics with "I CAN'T PASS THE LICENSE TEST WITH DAMAGE, WAHHHHH!" :lol

spwolf

Crayon Shinchan said:
Even if they don't have 'damage' for production cars, I certainly hope the option for race ending consequences are there; and maybe the approriate rewards for embracing those consequences (by turning on the option!)

That's the kind of stuff the PD team need to work on. The actual game portion of Gran Turismo.

problem is that if you want realistic damage, then only way to play the game would be to spend days and even weeks, training for particular track. For which most gamers really dont have time or patience for.

I am not against damage, but I did like how GT never had it - fact that you got slowed down for your mistakes so you wouldnt qualify anyway, and that was punishment enough.

Online is different because of assholes that might ruin your race... so yes, it is quite bit of thinking involved there.... I have GTR for PC, and it is awesome game, I just dont have time to actually practice enough so I can race in it...

Goldrusher

deepbrown said:
ANybody speak French? Fancy translating all the pages? http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/143/1/

Here's page 50, 51 and 52.

As the person below me suggested, let other people translate the other pages to speed it up.

---p50---

(photo caption) All of the monitors are on, revealing everything. New cars & circuits being modelled, even future packagings can be seen.

We enter the sacred buildings, revealing it's industrial design. Our photographer, translator and our pilot are waiting for us. For the occasion, we have asked Benoît Tréluyer (Formula Nippon champion, Super GT race driver for Nissan and a 24hrs of the Le Mans 2007 participant for Pescarolo) to accompagny us.
It's a real mad house, car nuts everywhere. Polyphony really is a studio like no other. A studio where everything is dedicated to the game, not towards money. Stacks upon stacks of car catalogues, racks collapsing under the weight of more automobile books you'll ever see. The desks are hidden under maquettes, models and sketches.
A hymne to the automobile.

Our visit

3pm: we start our visit. Kazunori Yamauchi is the guide for the day. We could've had worse...! When walking around, it felt surreal, unique. Our eyes couldn't capture everything there is to see. In one of the boxes, I spotted a GT5 logo... They don't hide anything from us. All of the monitors are on, revealing everything. New cars & circuits being modelled, even future packagings can be seen.
Other studios have strict tours, timed to the second and finish off with a standard drink and a set of rules about what can be published and what can't.

---p51---

(top left photos)
to return
- all cars & circuits from GT4
- ability to download more cars & circuits
- 4 camera angles to drive
- all Ferrari cars
- F1 cars
- new city circuit(s)
- at least 12 online players, maybe up to 20
- changing weather conditions

(top left photo caption) Little black boxes contain technical fiches of nearly every vehicle in existence.

The boss explains us the studio works in total anarchy. He shows us a room filled with musical instruments, fitness equipment, a library, game consoles, movies, magazines, books, etc. Everyone can find something to relax. When a game is nearing completion, most programmers want to stay behind their computers and finish the game, they even have a kitchen, showers, sleeping rooms and even washing machines !

The visit continues. Kazunori opens a few drawers, grabs a couple of brochures and explains us to model vehicles,

(right photos caption) Waiting. In this part of the studio, it's possible to relax, play music, watch movies. On top of that, there's a large selection of car magazines. The first floor is dedicated to travel books and the cinema. The basement contains the technical stuff belonging to the actual development studio.

(GT HD Classic or Premium...)
Kazunori Yamauchi explained to us we'll be able to create our own GT via PSN. All of GT4 will be downloadable in HD, but you'll have to download each track & car seperately. We received no confirmation / details regarding the price or game modes. The Premium edition will be a GTHD Concept, with two tracks and about thirty vehicles.
No confirmation about Porsche nor Lamborghini.

---p52---

(photo caption) 120 people work here, 120 working on the next Gran Turismo.

(In the driver's seat)
There are days when you have all the luck in the world !
When arriving, we weren't expecting to try the next GT. And yet, here we are, driving a Nissan 350Z GT500 around the Nürburgring. On a 46" screen in full HD, the driving sensations are amazing. GTHD has been designed to be played with a steering wheel, that's why each game version is tested with different models to enqure maximum compatibility. In a similar fashion, 4 screens are connected to the game (SD, HD720, HD1080i and HD1080p) to ensure the same with monitors.

(photo caption) It's here Kazunori Yamauchi tests GT during it's development.

deepbrown said:
ANybody speak French? Fancy translating all the pages? http://www.gameswank.com/content/view/143/1/
I do, I'll get started but that's a ****ing colossal mag special, so gonna try and do it but by bit.

In the mean time here are the scans re-hosted, the originals were on imageshack :(
gt54.jpg

gt5`.jpg

gt56.jpg

gt53.jpg

gt57.jpg

gt512.jpg

gt501.jpg

gt58.jpg

gt59.jpg

I know that there are a couple of other native speakers on here so if they come into this thread we should just split it so that we each get a page, would make things go much faster.

Top Bottom