• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 for $29 (Nuuvem) | Hola VPN | NO Region Lock for Activation

ultrazilla

I'll pass on this and just wait for a proper sale(I bet we see upwards of half off or more by the end of this year). The PS4 will do just fine until then.

I'm wary of using vpn to circumvent region locks and then trust my cc info with someone I've never heard of. I'm pretty sure that if someone's card got abused or fell into the wrong hands, the victim would have a hard time explaining to the card company that they used means to get around a region lock with a vpn.

Great price on the game, don't get me wrong. Just be careful.

Bennicus

I'll pass on this and just wait for a proper sale(I bet we see upwards of half off or more by the end of this year). The PS4 will do just fine until then.

I'm wary of using vpn to circumvent region locks and then trust my cc info with someone I've never heard of. I'm pretty sure that if someone's card got abused or fell into the wrong hands, the victim would have a hard time explaining to the card company that they used means to get around a region lock with a vpn.

Great price on the game, don't get me wrong. Just be careful.

If it's paypal the vendor doesn't see your credit card details, and you have protection from paypal if there's a problem with the key. I've had refunds from paypal several times before, it's pretty easy. Paypal sucks for receiving payments though, for exactly the same reasons it's good to make purchases with!

Flaxh

Looks like they have more GTA keys for sale but a friend of mine is having trouble buying the game using the VPN method. Can anyone confirm it is still working?

I was getting some error in Portuguese but now it seems to be loading, just need to get past the 404 error. Hopefully it works and activates.

Edit: I used SoftEther and I was able to get to the Paypal login, waiting for someone else to confirm the key will work before I buy.

Just chiming in, but, why is this allowed? I thought it was already revealed that people using VPN to get games from other regions, that are priced lower, actually hurts these smaller publishers a lot.

Not Rockstar, of course, but still.

Swen Vincke from Larian Studios' mentioned how this hurt them a lot during a recent Post Mortem.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
Nuuv3m are NOT Publishers, they're resellers. So actually they're not hurt, Rockstar's keys (specially GTA V, not Max Payne 3) still should be Region Free / Multilanguage all over the world, no matter what key-store sites are saying regarding the lock. Why? because the installer setup is in Multilanguage, the RGSC client is in Multilanguage, the RGSC download the game's source files in the language that is choosen from the installer. The installer is created using "InstallShield" software, which is a widely used tool by many soft-devs. There is no point to put regional restrictions in InstallShield software, it provides installer's in multilanguage and based on the chosen language, the RGSC Client download from the Rockstar's Cloud Server(s) the game in the chosen language at the InstallShield's language.

We live in a world where some devs and publishers, specially also monopoly platforms like Steam, want to earn from us as more as possible, they're not charities. So they put restrictions and regional BS. We - as users - have the ability to bypass them no matter what their ToS are saying. Even in the European Union the law is saying that people can and it's a must to be able to resale their games like any other tangible item (but the platforms - Origin/Steam/Battle.net/uPlay - have put limitations and therefore this is impossible, except reselling the whole account, so again bypassing the ToS).

The more restrictions they put, the more people in the future will be getting smarter. The less they put restrictions and provide excellent content & support, the more people won't want to "get smarter" (because it will be useless, like people on feeBay buying AMZN's items from dropship resellers, huh).

Schug

Neo Member
I just tried this method. Using SoftEther VPN, I got to the PayPal screen, disconnected, then continued the checkout. When the checkout was finalizing, it gave me an error explaining that this product was not available to my region. It seems the Nuuvem store has taken extra precautions to make sure this is not easy.

I imagine this would work if you stayed connected to the VPN, but not comfortable broadcasting that information over the VPN.

SeppOCE

It says the game is now Region locked to Brazil. Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not? I waited more than a week for this and if it really is locked I'll be quite sad :(

STAUNCH

Neo Member
It seems the Nuuvem store has taken extra precautions to make sure this is not easy.

Seems that they might have added the PayPal country requirement (based on the PP's country & address) like on Steam. You can't buy with PP any game from Steam if it's not using the same country as your PP's country and currency.

ljDDQux.jpg

Seem need to try with the VPN logged in into PP. If it's not working by then, then definitely they have "patched" this. …

MUnited83

For you.
I wouldnt be surprised if its now region locked, making it hot and shit. You gotta keep things like this on the down low :mad:

Then again Nuuvem did put those warnings on a few games that are actually region free. Publisher pressure I'm sure(like with the Lego bundle), I think there's a good chance that the keys are still region free.

Then again Nuuvem did put those warnings on a few games that are actually region free. Publisher pressure I'm sure(like with the Lego bundle), I think there's a good chance that the keys are still region free.

well if they are, KEEP EM ON THE DOWN LOW!! hush hush bruhs. don't fuck it up for everyone again.

MUnited83

For you.
What country are people selecting on the VPN btw? Might want to try a different South American country and it might work.

Schug

Neo Member
So I tried it with the VPN connected during the entire PayPal process (I immediately changed my pw afterwards =P). It still does not work. As Staunch alluded to earlier, they do a country check on the PayPal account itself.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
We need to take actions, or they can get away with this (I mean - get away without our money!).

I have generated a Tweet in Portuguese for people who have Twitter accounts to flood them: Link. And here is their fB msg & wall. A month ago they've closed their forum (official reason: "maintenance"; unofficial reason - try to guess) and the only support they provide is by e-mail (suporte@nuuvem.com.br), fB and Twitter.

Definitely they're loosing huge amounts of traffic & money when doing such actions against The Game of the Year for 2015 on PC.

SeppOCE

We need to take actions, or they can get away with this (I mean - get away without our money!).

I have generated a Tweet in Portuguese for people who have Twitter accounts to flood them: Link. And here is their fB msg & wall.

Definitely they're loosing huge amounts of traffic & money when doing such actions against The Game of the Year for 2015 on PC.

I'm not sure that something like this is completely up to them. Rockstar would have had to put some sort of pressure on them to start finding a way around this.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
I don't like Rockstar's pressure for a game from 2013 ported & released now on PC (even with so much good graphics).

Alright, if they want to play that game, no problem. Creating a Brazil PayPal Account won't be a problem. Getting a VCC won't be a problem as well, including transferring the money from the real PP to the BR PP. There is one issue - as far as I know there're only US VBA accs and no "VBA's" for any other country worldwide, so a real Brazil bank account is needed to "confirm" the BR PP, something that would be hard. pp.com/br/ account creation (they will want CPF / theirs SSN equal.). Don't know if for a payment they will need the bank account to be confirmed or not, if only the VCC and the CPF is passed, then would be good :).

STAUNCH

Neo Member
Seems that N33vem have added even more text. "REGION LOCKED: This game is restricted to Brazil . Any attempt to activation by RSC accounts other than Brazil are subject to cancellation of the key and RSC account ban." – something that is completely NOT true because there is no way to detect which key in which RGSC account have been activated in order to know the RGSC account's country. Completely false information. They're doing BS these days …

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems that N33vem have added even more text. "REGION LOCKED: This game is restricted to Brazil . Any attempt to activation by RSC accounts other than Brazil are subject to cancellation of the key and RSC account ban." – something that is completely NOT true because there is no way to detect which key in which RGSC account have been activated in order to know the RGSC account's country. Completely false information. They're doing BS these days …

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notice; as unlikely as it seems, it is possible that R* is keeping a record of the keys it's sent to Nuuvem and will periodically check to see if they were activated by Brazilian users. Also, I sincerely doubt that Nuuvem added the notice by its own accord.

The point is largely moot, anyway, as now the only way to buy the game on Nuuvem is to have someone in Brazil buy it for you.

Salsa

I gather I can still buy this for people since I don't have to use a VPN? shoot me a pm

unless this is a keys-wide thing by rockstar, tho I doubt it

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notice; as unlikely as it seems, it is possible that R* is keeping a record of the keys it's sent to Nuuvem and will periodically check to see if they were activated by Brazilian users.

Well if Nuuvem is a key reseller, then who knows where they even got the keys from originally. I haven't had my game removed yet so I think those who did buy it before hand are in the clear.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I gather I can still buy this for people since I don't have to use a VPN? shoot me a pm

unless this is a keys-wide thing by rockstar, tho I doubt it
Can you add it to the cart just fine?
(I'm not in UY so I can't test it atm)

Well if Nuuvem is a key reseller, then who knows where they even got the keys from originally. I haven't had my game removed yet so I think those who did buy it before hand are in the clear.
Nuuvem gets the keys from R*, they are an authorized seller.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the notice; as unlikely as it seems, it is possible that R* is keeping a record of the keys it's sent to Nuuvem and will periodically check to see if they were activated by Brazilian users. Also, I sincerely doubt that Nuuvem added the notice by its own accord.

The point is largely moot, anyway, as now the only way to buy the game on Nuuvem is to have someone in Brazil buy it for you.

R* keeps a record of the keys sent to XXX retailers. Valve keeps record ofthe keys sent to XXX retailers in YYY countries (that's why they've added the regional keys, removed langs, required VPNs, and in the end since March 10 - full mega lock). So it doesn't matter who keeps what, it matters if the system that they have created is "tuned" or not. Valve are const. doing that, for sure. R* have done millions of sales, so pretty sure they won't care for 10-20k keys that were "purchased" from other than the regions where they we set for ordering (offline or retail), when the still make alot of money. And also they need to revamp their whole key-system (something that won't happen, see the quote below).

Also quoting some posts from s******als:

If they wanted to region lock keys they'd just make them irredeemable on another region's account. You really have no idea what you're talking about. They already know about it since they had nuuvem restrict the purchase (requiring vpn); originally it did not.

Nuuvem can only restrict what regions a person is able to purchase the item from, and if you use Hola to VPN through a South American country, you can purchase keys.

For most games, this works fine. The only issue is if the game itself is region locked through the keys. I don't think Rockstar has the ability to do this at the moment, so you are probably safe in purchasing GTAV through them as a "Bolivian" or "Chilean" internet user.

Where it doesn't work is when you use Hola to bypass regional locks within Steam - Steam easily tracks "where" a game is purchased from, so they can tell when you are selectively choosing where you make your purchase from and can later ban you, based on a pattern of abusing this to get cheap games.

Likewise, Ubisoft uses Russian-specific keys, for example, so they too, can track where you purchased the game from and lock you out.

For Rockstar to specifically region lock their keys, they'd need to revamp their key system, which means re-testing their entire game - just before release... that isn't going to happen. Unless their sales fall flat outside of South America, they also aren't likely to directly address the issue, either.
Reddit ruins everything.
Sure, but they have browsing (guess) access to that forum as well. So everything that is posted here is clearly visible worldwide for anyone.

is there any chance someone can help me get this? /wondering

Or at least tell me the instructions to do it myself by pm

Thanks in advance

JaseC

R* keeps a record of the keys sent to XXX retailers. Valve keeps record ofthe keys sent to XXX retailers in YYY countries (that's why they've added the regional keys, removed langs, required VPNs, and in the end since March 10 - full mega lock). So it doesn't matter who keeps what, it matters if the system that they have created is "tuned" or not. Valve are const. doing that, for sure. R* have done millions of sales, so pretty sure they won't care for 10-20k keys that were "purchased" from other than the regions where they we set for ordering (offline or retail), when the still make alot of money.

You're assuming that R* doesn't keep finer details of where it sends its keys, and Valve doesn't send keys to retailers, publishers do, and it's the publishers that dictate where they're sent and how they're region-locked, if they are at all -- all Valve has done over the past ~17 months is tighten the noose on cross-region trading on the Steam Store itself insofar as it applies to gift activation. That, say, buying Assassin's Creed Rogue on the RU store will net you a copy of the game that is limited to Russian is entirely Ubisoft's doing. As for the post you've submitted as supporting evidence, you'll notice that it's nothing but a theory ("I don't think Rockstar has the ability to do this at the moment"), plus it only pertains to the matter of GTAV itself being region-locked, not R*'s record keeping habits.

Again, I agree that R* keeping a close eye on how Nuuvem's keys are distributed is unlikely, but that's just it -- it's unlikely, not impossible, and to that end it is prudent to inform people that ignoring the notice does carry an inherent risk. I mean, as a Steam game collector I have certain items that I couldn't have acquired without using a VPN to activate them, but even so I still try to make a point of informing people that, despite there being no reputable reports of Valve banning/restricting the accounts of those who'd used a VPN to merely to activate a key, using a VPN at all is technically against the SSA and thus carries an element of risk -- you're breaking the rules in a way that's practically harmless, sure, but at the end of the day you're still breaking the rules.

JaseC

Its hard to tell what's going on. I got the game. Will I not be able to play online or something? What's going on here?!?

Given you already have the game, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, even theoretically.

Jimrpg

I prepurchased the game, and I've been downloading for the last two weeks. I haven't finished it (48gb now) and haven't logged in or anything. Do you think I'll be ok?

STAUNCH

Neo Member
For 2 weeks you could get it as as Retail Box from any part of the world (excl. CN/HK - 3-4 weeks) and install it from the DVDs. You have very slow ISP speed.

14 days = 302400s
49152 MB (48 GB) : 302400s = 0.1625 MB/s = 166.44 kB/s.

oti

Banned
I think I got locked out of the game. Bought it off Nuuvem via VPN a day before launch. Yesterday it worked just fine, I've played over 6h so far. Today this:

CD3Of4DWgAIR3J1.png

It can't connect to the update servers (it downloaded an update just this week and everything was fine).

CD3MWhsW0AA9r1P.png

This is what I get when chosing offline mode. It says the game needs to be activated. Why? Been trying to launch the game now for an hour. No dice. I'm in Germany btw.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
Check this support article.

Here are the patch changes from yesterday, nothing strange.

Here're reports from people experiencing the same issue as yours. Some solutions:

• Winkey+R > %HOMEPATH%\Documents\Rockstar Games > Enter > Delete;
  • Using the "Repair" thing (maybe it's available only on Steam);
  • Adding "subprocess.exe" in Windows Firewall as trusted (Inbound & Outbound);
  • Checking the hosts file in Winkey+R > C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\ folder for some rockstar-line and deleting it (as Admin and removing the Read-only tick from Properties of the file);
  • Adding an empty "GTA V" folder in Wninkey+R > %HOMEPATH%\Documents\Rockstar Games\Social Club\Title\ folder (some problem with metadata.dat?);
  • 3rd party AntiVirus/Firewall issue (Avira/GData/Kaspersky/etc.);
  • cmd > netsh winsock reset & netsh int ipv4 reset thing.
GL and write a feedback.

STAUNCH

Neo Member
BR codes (and those from RU/CIS) are now region-locked.

If someone can give it a try, buying a BR GTA V code, using a BR VPN to connect, start the RGSC client and activate it's code. After the activation it must be multilanguage as usual. Then disconnecting from the BR VPN. If it's downloaded (with your own ISP connection) & started without any futher issues (like a new error message saying region locked for the play/start), then all is fine.

Dambrosi

Banned
I just tried mine, which I got from Nuuvem back when it came out. Just patched to the latest version, seems to work fine. Non-Steam version, though, and my early save seems to be gone. Ah well, it's not like I'd played it in ages anyway.

So, at least it's not botched on my end.

Top Bottom