• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5 Online PC: confusion as Rockstar begins banning mod users

Players of GTA Online on PC are reporting getting banned for using a number of different mods.

The GTA 5 PC sub-Reddit is filled with posts about users getting banned, with confusion over whether cosmetic mods are just as bannable as those that give the player an unfair advantage.

One user posted an image saying he was banned from GTA Online for using an FOV mod. The thread is filled with conflicting reports from users who continue to play using mods.

Another thread shows a screengrab of a reply from Rockstar support sent in response to a player asking if FOV mods will result in a ban.

Here’s what he had to say:

rockstar_support_reply_cosmetic_mod_1.png

http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/29/gta-online-pc-rockstar-ban-wave-causes-confusion/

mtodavk

Hm...I'm glad I saw this coming and didn't install any mods yet, but I hope those affected can get it straightened out soon. :(

noomi

and this is exactly why I never used the FoV mod as much as I wanted to.

Use with caution folks! Although I believe the FoV Mod is pretty harmless, just be safe stay away :(

The Cowboy

I just hope they get the right people, i went into a session last night and the next thing i knew a carnival wheel spawned in the street along with a bunch of other things and a group of players started spawning bags of money and started shouting over chat "free money" - i left sharpish.

I just hope they get the right people, i went into a session last night and the next thing i knew a carnival wheel spawned in the street along with a bunch of other things and a group of players started spawning bags of money and started shouting over chat "free money" - i left sharpish.

Would you say that that was a... Carnival of Stupid?

Hip Hop

It's a slippery slope.

For the sake of the online experience, I wouldn't want anyone using modifications in public servers. That just opens up the gates for the malicious stuff.
But, I guess Rockstar can look for ways in to allowing the "safe" ones in. Other games have done this in the past just fine.

KHlover

Banned
What if you use mods for single player by disable them for online

The "official" natural trainer will disable itself automatically if you try to go online with it. However modded versions without that restriction exist. Just double-check when you download and you should be fine.

There are tons of conflicting reports. Most posts of being banned are either shopped or just old screenshots to scare people. It seems that if you are caught you're just put into the cheater pool and separated off from non cheaters. There's a lot of confusion right now so I wouldn't freak out, but bear in mind the current FOV mod is actually a memory/EXE hack, so it probably gets detected as a real cheat.

For now I'd just wait for a statement.

Foffy

Banned
Some users have cheated in GTA Online. I can personally attest to one user in one of the Survival matches I actually won using a trainer. When you die in that mission you can spectate other players, and he was always at full health, despite being shot while I watched. I originally attributed it to lag, but this was after the trainer to the game was released, so I put two and two together. No idea if he was banned since, but be warned: there might be users online who are running around with unlimited health.

I imagine Rockstar wants no exceptions as they see all circumventions as bad.

Hello, thanks for calling Rockstar customer support. How can I help you today?

I was banned for using a cosmetic mod on GTA online and was wondering..

Sorry to hear that unfortunately I will have to end this call, kthnxbye.

Sounds like the PS3 version lol, I'm glad all this shit is impossible on PS4.

Since this topic already exists I'll just post this here.

Just stumbled upon this on Reddit:

wcMiMNQ.png

What a depressing situation. I really hope this stuff gets sorted out because this is not how offline modding should be dealt with. I knew it was bad news when Valve started to allow devs to ban people on their own. First the paid mods fiasco, now this?

I don't buy that people who only ever used the FOV mod are being banned. It's an unfortunate situation but I've still got my FOV mod in and I'm keeping it there.

Oreoleo

I don't buy that people who only ever used the FOV mod are being banned. It's an unfortunate situation but I've still got my FOV mod in and I'm keeping it there.

Interesting. You've been online since the bannings started I presume? I used the FoV mod for weeks and didn't get banned. Removed it as soon as bans started going out though just to be safe. I've sort of assumed a large majority of people claiming they got banned for the FoV mod are just covering for the fact that they were actually doing much more but you can never be sure.

Evo X

Shit. How do I Uninstall the script hook trainer?

I only used it to mess around in single player, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Shit. How do I Uninstall the script hook trainer?

I only used it to mess around in single player, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Delete any file in the GTA folder ending with .asi, delete any "Scripthook.dll", "dsound.dll" or "dinput8.dll" you might have.

Good mods > crap multiplayer. I'd rather take the ban than grind online. I'd love to enjoy online but it's such a mess.

You might appreciate the FiveM mod then. Separate client with dedicated servers, already playable but not much else.

Komo

Banned
I removed the FOV fix before the latest patch finished installing and I haven't been banned

Although, I really do miss that fix :(

Fox318

They are just waiting for when they can sell single player mods through Valve and ban users from using any single player mods.

After all the hacked account transfer bullshit they go and fuck things up yet again.

And then they'll make another 9 figures on GTA VI because we're crackheads that need our fix.

BLunted

Banned
This is nothing new for online games.

If you are using anything that uses an injector(Sweetfx, ReShade) or alters the active memory(Flawless widescreen), you are taking a chance when going online.
Companies usually don't bother wasting any time trying to differentiate between benign or malicious mods.Just ban when detected. That is why there is a disclaimer check box on Flawless Widescreen.

jWILL253

Banned
And what do you call yours?

An opinion, specifically that from someone who actually owns the game, and wants to be able to mod his game freely without worrying if Rockstar's hamfisted approach to anti-modding is gonna break his game, or ruin his Social Club account, just because Rockstar is adamant on shoving Shark Cards down everyone's throats.

Basically, it's the opposite of your shit post.

Yudoken

While I do agree that using mods online is not the best idea I personally would like to see them approving some of them (fov mod is a must, especially from first person) and giving out a warning if they use unapproved mods in an open lobby's instead of a ban.
But it looks like even offline only mods will cause a ban (from various sources) and R* basically encourages pirating with their hard banning practices.
I look forward to buying a copy of the game (currently using my friends account while he's not playing) when they at least allow fov and singleplayer mods.
They also did something which causes modders a lot of trouble and they can't mod the game anymore as they used to and they currently wait until this get's solved.

An opinion, specifically that from someone who actually owns the game, and wants to be able to mod his game freely without worrying if Rockstar's hamfisted approach to anti-modding is gonna break his game, or ruin his Social Club account, just because Rockstar is adamant on shoving Shark Cards down everyone's throats.

Basically, it's the opposite of your shit post.

Coming into the thread and just saying the devs are shit with (at that point) no explanation or justification is entirely a shitpost.

Mods and online have never mixed well; I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty glad to see RS take such a proactive and heavy-handed approach : cheaters ruin the game for everyone. Too bad harmless mods have to take the rap too, but if its the price we have to pay...

Are they banning for using any mod regardless if you're single-player or online? Or only when you have a mod active and do online? If it's the latter, is it only game breaking/cheating type mods, or just aesthetic, visual ones too?

User reviews: Very Positive (35,734 reviews)

That's going to take some work to dent that standing. The home page is still overwhelmingly negative. People are upvoting negative reviews.
Mods and online have never mixed well; I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty glad to see RS take such a proactive and heavy-handed approach : cheaters ruin the game for everyone. Too bad harmless mods have to take the rap too, but if its the price we have to pay...
You don't think a warning is more appropriate? No of course lets make people pay $60.

Oreoleo

Are they banning for using any mod regardless if you're single-player or online? Or only when you have a mod active and do online? If it's the latter, is it only game breaking/cheating type mods, or just aesthetic, visual ones too?

There's been no official statement from Rockstar. Anything that edits or adds additional .dll's is trackable. Use at your own risk.

I wish Rockstar would make up their f***ing minds already:

822f8634e5.png

JQtZn2H.png

What is it? All modding is bannable? Online mods are bannable? Give us some confirmation Rockstar!

Top Bottom