• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 will reportedly have a female protagonist

Rockstar has yet to let me down so I really don't care! If they're putting a female protagonist is because they wanted to and not because of any societal pressure. I'm looking forward to seeing the game announced.

I would like ONE modern AAA game to unapologetically say, "fuck your political correctness."

I'm kind of shocked there hasn't been female players added to Madden yet.
Surely cod kind of counts?

Looking at GTA V - I can't see VI being far from that. Which is a good thing for me. And probably a good thing for you. It's still the most successful game going. Although making the game superwoke might actually be the most controversial thing rockstar could do at this point lol. So maybe they should.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Well, the driving is going to suck then

tenor.gif

My how things have changed, I got banned years ago for posting such a gif on Gaf LOL. That was before the great parting.

Templex

Neo Member
I'd like to see how Rockstar handles writing a female protagonist. A female anti-hero the likes of Trevor Philips could be really interesting

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'd like to see how Rockstar handles writing a female protagonist. A female anti-hero the likes of Trevor Philips could be really interesting
Rockstar can handle female character writing just fine

That women in Red Dead Redemption 2 ( i forgot her name) is good examples

Last edited:

Woggleman

The last thing I want is a female Trevor. The male one was bad enough. If they could find a female Niko though I would be for it,

llien

a playable female protagonist

Me in World of Worcraft, asking lady "what's your name".
Lady: "John".

Does your masculinity feel threatened by having to play as a virtual woman? I think it can be a good way to tell a story from a different point of view.
OP doesn't sound like someone would be forced into playing either gender, but did you just try to shame someone into hiding their game gender preferences?

Heylon

Does your feminity feel threatened by having to play as a virtual man?

People whine about representation in vg so they can play as what they are in real life (or what they think they are).
Then as a man, I want to play as a man, yes.
Amen to that!

brian0057

Banned
If it's something like Charlize Theron in Monster, I'd be down for that.
Either way, Rockstar has yet to deliver an outright terrible game so I'm intrigued if true.

Redlancet

Banned
Does your feminity feel threatened by having to play as a virtual man?

People whine about representation in vg so they can play as what they are in real life (or what they think they are).
Then as a man, I want to play as a man, yes.
are you a man?

Shubh_C63

Have Rockstar ever bowed down to the PC culture. They have made their business doing the opposite of what is acceptable.

I think a female protagonist written by Rockstar is going to be FIRE 🔥🔥

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The absurdity is calling this kind of thing "progress" or somehow bold.

No. When you swap a sexy female protagonist into a violent game that's driven by male desires of violence, it doesn't empower anyone... it just gives the dudes playing it a new option to watch an attractive rear end in the third person camera. No one identifies with their character anyway, it's more like an on-screen action figure or toy.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with giving the dominantly male player base something better to look at--might be a good idea in general for the game--but it never has anything to do with diversity, and it's tiring when another round of Kotaku-level articles comes up to act as if this is some kind of progressive move.

manfestival

I mean if we are talking about Houser writing ... the ones that brought us Republican Space Rangers and the other show that they make fun of the other party. We should be fine. Granted the tech left ideology creep has been super heavy these past few years and the last GTA was beyond this window of time. So the concern isn't unfounded. Just want to operate in good faith and believe in the writing since it has been so good.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not good enough. If it's not a black transgender woman in a wheelchair I'm going to send death threats to Rockstar 24/7 until they are cancelled.

Yeah, that was of course sarcasm.. I don't have a problem with whatever Rockstar put in their game. I care whether it's a good game, has that familiar Rockstar quality, and that it's free from political agenda, and that whatever they put in is not because of political pressure.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If Houser wrote the female character I think it could be interesting. But I can see all the headlines now about men writing women and why that is problematic. In my opinion women have the capacity to be pretty vicious so I can see a female protagonist being a pretty ruthless choice.

Thomish

Why does this matter at all...? Protagonist could be a hippo for all I care, as long as it's a good game it's all good.

It's stupid to assume it won't be because the protagonist is female.

lock2k

Banned
If Houser wrote the female character I think it could be interesting. But I can see all the headlines now about men writing women and why that is problematic. In my opinion women have the capacity to be pretty vicious so I can see a female protagonist being a pretty ruthless choice.
I'll never understand this shitty mentality.

I mean... it's fiction, you can write whatever the fuck you want. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter and no one has issues with that. Also, it's the same mentality that only gay actors should play gay characters which invalidates the whole concept of acting. lol

Rikkori

People mod female models into GTA V all the time, this is not a big deal at all. The worse part is the soyfieid writing that's already present even in GTA V where you have nothing but man children protagonists clucking like hens and bickering all game. Even Druckmann put more masculinity in his games than this.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'll never understand this shitty mentality.

I mean... it's fiction, you can write whatever the fuck you want. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter and no one has issues with that. Also, it's the same mentality that only gay actors should play gay characters which invalidates the whole concept of acting. lol

Yes this entire mentality is bad. People have been writing characters for a long time, and actors of all types have been playing all types of characters. JK Rowling is being tried online due to actually believing women are women. The mentality is going to persist for a while and the loudest voices are going to continue to demand fealty from all public facing entities.

lock2k

Banned
People mod female models into GTA V all the time, this is not a big deal at all. The worse part is the soyfieid writing that's already present even in GTA V where you have nothing but man children protagonists clucking like hens and bickering all game. Even Druckmann put more masculinity in his games than this.

This song gave me cancer

manfestival

But...we're not.
Dan Houser left.
Leslie Benzies was fired.
Lazlow left. (he had a big hand in writing the radio stations)
The only one left is Sam...and he doesn't have Dan, Leslie and Lazlow to bounce off of anymore.
So what you are saying is.... GTA Doomed? I mean likely but we will see.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Are there male protagonist loyalists lol? This is one of MANY reports, and if an order from above Rockstar came down demanding a female protagonist than it's something to acknowledge. I think there's female characters in the GTA world since 3.

Top Bottom