• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 6 will reportedly have a female protagonist

BCaf9DRCQAAMJ7G.jpg

LarknThe4th

What if, now give it a chance, what if you control two characters and switch between them but they are on a cross country crime spree bonnie and clyde style

That could be pretty cool as you continue in the game escaping authorities on the run you hear on the radio about this "power couple of crime"

Would be different

Ricky_Bee

Banned
What if, now give it a chance, what if you control two characters and switch between them but they are on a cross country crime spree bonnie and clyde style

That could be pretty cool as you continue in the game escaping authorities on the run you hear on the radio about this "power couple of crime"

Would be different
That would be pretty cool.

I mean, it would inevitably be a black man and a white girl to make sure white men know their place but the concept is great. And would solve a lot of the issues around making a Female Protagonist in GTA.

LarknThe4th

That would be pretty cool.

I mean, it would inevitably be a black man and a white girl to make sure white men know their place but the concept is great. And would solve a lot of the issues around making a Female Protagonist in GTA.
It could be, you could split off and loot a town on your own and cheat on your partner and maybe even make an ad hoc criminal alliance with another person in the new town and start an affair with them

Now that is very marketable! 😂😂😂

MiguelItUp

Hey alright.

I mean, that would be an immediate "THIS ISN'T LIKE OTHER GTAS!" if she was THE or one of THE main protagonists.

Funny that people are like "OH SO BRAVE", I don't know if that's really the purpose of all this. To me it just read like some "new" details. Besides, female protagonists have been existent in the series before, unless she's a main.

Hell, I don't care what sex, ethnicity, etc. the character is. But I'd LOVE to have a GTA game where I REALLY like the main protagonist like I have in the Red Dead Redemption series.

Ricky_Bee

Banned
You can only portray women as Mary Sues.
But you could *do that* if she was half of a playable crime couple and it would still be awesome!

You know. If you didn’t find it cisnormative and offensive that she occasionally showed some sort of affection for a dude.

Pejo

I hope she plays as a female character instead of just playing as a dude with a female model. As in, she shouldn't believably be knocking out dudes left and right in the story cutscenes and strong-arming herself through things. It'd be cool if she used underhanded tactics to get through the story instead of brute force. I think Rockstar have the capability to do that type of thing right. In gameplay, it can be whatever.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The absurdity is calling this kind of thing "progress" or somehow bold.

No. When you swap a sexy female protagonist into a violent game that's driven by male desires of violence, it doesn't empower anyone... it just gives the dudes playing it a new option to watch an attractive rear end in the third person camera. No one identifies with their character anyway, it's more like an on-screen action figure or toy.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with giving the dominantly male player base something better to look at--might be a good idea in general for the game--but it never has anything to do with diversity, and it's tiring when another round of Kotaku-level articles comes up to act as if this is some kind of progressive move.
I dont think theres any problem in including female characters here

Rocktar know exactly what to do when it comes to creating a well written character wether its male or female without having to caters to specific group of people

On the contrary it feels like the way you percieve and view om women are very limited here ( the way you describe them as nothing but an object to stares at)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It might be more cinematic, and I understand that it's R*'s thing to use realistic animations, but it simply takes too long to change a tampon before going on a bank heist.

Sounds interesting. We will see how they execute it.
But we all know they aren't going to make her stupid or depraved. You can't portray women like that in this day and age, that would get you in trouble much easier than not having a female lead at all. You can only portray women as Mary Sues.
Rockstar can get away with pretty much anything.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But we all know they aren't going to make her stupid or depraved.
Outside RDR most females in GTA have been exactly this.

I hope she plays as a female character instead of just playing as a dude with a female model. As in, she shouldn't believably be knocking out dudes left and right in the story cutscenes and strong-arming herself through things. It'd be cool if she used underhanded tactics to get through the story instead of brute force. I think Rockstar have the capability to do that type of thing right. In gameplay, it can be whatever.
It worked in Saint's Row though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shubh_C63

But we all know they aren't going to make her stupid or depraved. You can't portray women like that in this day and age, that would get you in trouble much easier than not having a female lead at all. You can only portray women as Mary Sues.
I get its a different era regarding PC culture but Rockstar has made their fortune pissing mass media off. Like its part of their grand marketing at some point. GTA has no role for Mary sues and Rockstar won't jeopardize their narrative that way.

Also, didn't people speculated long ago that new GTA might go back to the 70s/80s. It would be nice to see how a woman who got wronged climbed its way through proxy man-leaders in the drug business. A good combination of Jackie Brown and Beatrix maybe ?

John2290

Then if better have character creation cause I can't suspend my disbelief at these games that try this. Like Casandra getting punched in the face by a man three times here size in a cutscene in Ass odyessy and laughing it off as if it was a love tap. Just make it realistic and I'm good.

The outcry from racist manchildren when San Andreas protag was revealed and didn’t look like them was unforgettably embarrassing. The reaction to this will probably be worse. Especially if she has more of a chin than them.

Last edited:

Ricky_Bee

Banned

Saints Row is kinda sorta less grounded than GTA has been for a while though.

It is *sort of* hard to write a Female Protagonist in a gang culture where men’s status depends on how tough they are and girls status depends on who they are fucking.

Obviously you can kind of go the Ubisoft route and say Victorian London street gangs were majority female but that does come with a bit of a cost in verisimilitude.

Is kind of interesting what they will do.

lock2k

Banned

It is *sort of* hard to write a Female Protagonist in a gang culture where men’s status depends on how tough they are and girls status depends on who they are fucking.

Obviously you can kind of go the Ubisoft route and say Victorian London street gangs were majority female but that does come with a bit of a cost in verisimilitude.

They could make a serial killer like Countess Bathory. That would be dope as fuck.

The cynic in me agrees with you, but if anyone could do it, it would be Rockstar.

DESTROYA

Last GTA game I played was ChinaTownWars so I could really care less.
Why is this a thing if the story is generally well written ?

mckmas8808

Banned

You sure?
griselda-blanco-1.jpg

Griselda Blanco Restrepo (February 15, 1943 – September 3, 2012), known as La Madrina, the Black Widow, the Cocaine Godmother and the Queen of Narco-Trafficking, was a Colombian drug lord of the Medellín Cartel and a pioneer in the Miami-based cocaine drug trade and underworld during the 1980s through the early 2000s. It has been estimated that she was responsible for up to 2,000 murders while transporting cocaine from Colombia to New York, Miami and Southern California. She was shot and killed on September 3, 2012, at the age of 69. At her height, Blanco was one of the richest and most dangerous women in the world, and was the most powerful drug kingpin in the world. She became the first-ever billionaire female criminal, ruling her multi-million dollar drug trafficking empire with an iron fist, and becoming one of the deadliest women of all time.

If you don't know, you better ask somebody.

Last edited:

Pejo

Outside RDR most females in GTA have been exactly this.

You mean this Saint's Row?

AlienatedCooperativeBrontosaurus-small.gif

It's not exactly based in reality. I haven't played all the games, but don't you literally become basically superman in one of them? And you can run around and beat people with a dildo.

Anyways, my point was if they wanted to make the story make sense with a female lead, it'd be better if they treated it with nuance instead of the usual stuff. Based on the quality of the story in RDR2, I think they're up to the task.

Have Rockstar ever bowed down to the PC culture. They have made their business doing the opposite of what is acceptable.

I think a female protagonist written by Rockstar is going to be FIRE 🔥🔥
It depends on who the new head writer is now after Dan Houser left Rockstar. I think only Michael Unsworth is left from the main GTAV writing team as I think Lazlow is gone now too so I'll reserve judgement until we can check if they have pronouns listed in their twitter bio:messenger_hushed:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You mean this Saint's Row?

AlienatedCooperativeBrontosaurus-small.gif

It's not exactly based in reality. I haven't played all the games, but don't you literally become basically superman in one of them? And you can run around and beat people with a dildo.

Anyways, my point was if they wanted to make the story make sense with a female lead, it'd be better if they treated it with nuance instead of the usual stuff. Based on the quality of the story in RDR2, I think they're up to the task.
2 was far more grounded and it also had a female boss. Either way SR>GTA IMO.

John2290

Last GTA game I played was ChinaTownWars so I could really care less.
Why is this a thing if the story is generally well written ?
Cause it's hard to believe. Say what you will about Abby in TLOU2 but she was far more believable than little teeny, tiny Ellie going around brawling three or four men at a time and not getting knocked five feet back by one of them stumbling on her. I don't expect them to copy paste a mans body on the protagonist here if they intend her to be jacking cars by force or gitting into fist fights with pedestrians but make it work in some way. Make her fit for one, realistically and proportionally but also add some consequences that the male character wouldn't have to contend with like having to jack cars with a gun in hand or people just shoving her randomly if she's not armed and saying fuck you and buffs too such as being able to infiltrate gang hideouts by ripping off some clothes and then going full on gone girl on the men who invite her in along. I think Rockstar are too outdated in their systems to end up with anything else than shootouts and way points but I can hope. I just don't want to see a woman have three men on her, while taking full blows to the head and managing to over power them all at the base level of combat.

DESTROYA

Cause it's hard to believe. Say what you will about Abby in TLOU2 but she was far more believable than little teeny, tiny Ellie going around brawling three or four men at a time and not getting knocked five feet back by one of them stumbling on her. I don't expect them to copy paste a mans body on the protagonist here if they intend her to be jacking cars by force or gitting into fist fights with pedestrians but make it work in some way. Make her fit for one, realistically and proportionally but also add some consequences that the male character wouldn't have to contend with like having to jack cars with a gun in hand or people just shoving her randomly if she's not armed and saying fuck you and buffs too such as being able to infiltrate gang hideouts by ripping off some clothes and then going full on gone girl on the men who invite her in along. I think Rockstar are too outdated in their systems to end up with anything else than shootouts and way points but I can hope. I just don't want to see a woman have three men on her, while taking full blows to the head and managing to over power them all at the base level of combat.
Its a video game dude not real life.
Not everything has to be grounded In reality .

tkscz

Oh ok?

As long as the game and story are good who gives a shit?

Like I get it, lately all devs have been trying to do is gain twitter brownie points from people who don't buy these games by making the main character a woman like that hasn't happened in hundreds of games before, and the "gaming media" will eat that up, but it never really reflect in sales. But if the game is good, who cares? Ignore those assholes and just have fun.

John2290

Its a video game dude not real life.
Not everything has to be grounded In reality .
Unless you're making a game that is themed to be grounded in reality... yes, it very much does. It's not as if it's Dragon age, skyrim or souls and who can shoot magic out of your hand in a world of magical beasts. Tlou2 goes for pure grounded realism so Ellie killing dozens of people often with her bare hands is jarring, Asscreed is a history simulator (I know they turned a little mythical) but they're still trying for realism and it's jarring. Having to control a woman in GTA and pull a big old fat man out of a car is going to feel jarring. Now, they go the arcade route and making it like a JRPG where the citizens are magical beings of light and you aren't asked to suspend disbelief so heavily then I can't give a fuck.

What I'm saying is, you have to meet the level of suspension of disbelief that you ask of the player or the logical part of the brain starts protesting, consciously or not.

Zog

Banned
Oh ok?

As long as the game and story are good who gives a shit?

Like I get it, lately all devs have been trying to do is gain twitter brownie points from people who don't buy these games by making the main character a woman like that hasn't happened in hundreds of games before, and the "gaming media" will eat that up, but it never really reflect in sales. But if the game is good, who cares? Ignore those assholes and just have fun.
You can expect a fair share of misandry (men are pigs, kill all men, etc...).

Top Bottom