• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA III turns 20: Memories from PlayStation Studios and other top developers

amigastar

Nice memories, it was indeed a massive success for games as a medium for entertainment and art.
Anyways I'm counting the days for the definitive edition to come out.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Memories GIF

GTA3 and Morrowind were such eye-opening games for me at the time. It was so fun to just drive around in Liberty City and just listen to the radio and explore the city. I remember being blown away with GTA3 and couldn't believe how immersive it felt at the time to play. Such an amazing time.

Aesius

The freedom that you had to complete missions in GTA 3 - San Andreas is sorely missing from the series now. GTA 3 was janky enough that you could pull off some particularly ridiculous shit. Not to mention the thrill of just driving around the city. It wasn't just that you could cruise around a fully 3D city--that had been done before--but it felt more realistic than any city by far. The vehicle handling and the city design itself definitely helped that aspect.

I also still love the aesthetic of GTA 3. It's a dark and moody game. I feel like Rockstar could take lessons from it if they ever made a Pacific Northwest GTA. Or ever went back to London.

one of the games i got with my PS2 bundle along with smackdown: just bring it and crash bandicoot wrath of cortex. i'll never forget it.

Fredrik

We had the exact same moment with a sword and enemies instead of pedestrians. It was in 1985 in a game called The Legend of Zelda on NES.
Chopping the head off your opponent in C64 Barbarian in 1987 was the ”woah” moment for me. I used to draw a lot and drew that in school, then had to sit down and have serious talks with my parents and teachers about my violent fantasies 😶

GTA 3 killed my ps2 no joke.

I was doing Taxi Missions and the game froze.

Nothing worked so Inhad to pull the Plug. After that i couldn't turn in my ps2 again.

My GTA Copy remained in the PS2. Got a new PS2 and Sony gave me the money for the game back.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I remember borrowing GTA3 from a friend, shortly after getting a PS2.

I had played the game before, but bringing it home felt like the equivalent of bringing the amusement park home.

"Dad, watch". I ran forward down the pavement and beat to death the first pedestrian I could see - a prostitute. As blood & wads of cash began to spill out of her, my dad exhaled "ah, no..." and sort of shook his head in disgust.

"Dad, it's just a game".

Last edited:
I remember a classmate telling me about it. I couldn't believe a word he said. When I first saw it for myself, I was stunned.
The "make your own fun" motto is on point. I've seen so many relatives, friends etc. who were not gamers just casually play the game without doing any missions; just wandering around, having fun.

Urban

i will never forget how they put a patch out on PC so there was no flying newspaper in the streets anymore because people had performance issues.

Incredible game! loved every second of it

Kerotan

The freedom that you had to complete missions in GTA 3 - San Andreas is sorely missing from the series now. GTA 3 was janky enough that you could pull off some particularly ridiculous shit. Not to mention the thrill of just driving around the city. It wasn't just that you could cruise around a fully 3D city--that had been done before--but it felt more realistic than any city by far. The vehicle handling and the city design itself definitely helped that aspect.

I also still love the aesthetic of GTA 3. It's a dark and moody game. I feel like Rockstar could take lessons from it if they ever made a Pacific Northwest GTA. Or ever went back to London.
Well they went back to liberty city with gta 4 and it was dark and moody also. I loved them both.

Romulus

It was really something. Was only a few years before that we got stuff like OoT, Half-Life. What a time to be alive.

SkylineRKR

GTA3 was great. I liked the electronic radio station.

Grabbing guys out of cars, beating them to death. Fucking a hooker, then kill her to take your cash back. It was stupidly fun. Its probably my fave GTA in terms of aesthetics. Vice City had this 80's vibe that was cool, but most you can pull off in that game had been done in 3 already. GTA 3 was a game changer.

I also like the pace of 3. It starts with a prisoner transport, gets rigged, you escape with some dude. Grab clothes at a hideout and see a handler to begin with your missions. Not much bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom