• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online has generated over half a billion dollars in revenue

Damnnnn kudos to R* I really enjoyed my time with the online component of GTAV. Hopefully they can take it to another level with the next GTA. I wonder if will put multiple cities into the map of the online component like they stated they could back when it was announced.

This makes me sad because I think it pretty much spells the end of any kind of single player push from Rockstar in terms of DLC and possibly maybe even the next GTA will have a more limited single player experience.

I have no problem with online components, I actually enjoyed GTA online but normally it spells the end for single player once multiplayer becomes this successful at a company, I really hope that isn't the case here.

I will be really surprised if Rockstar decides to abandon their single player experiences. I think the online stuff will just help them fund development even more in all aspects of their future games.

Damnnnn kudos to R* I really enjoyed my time with the online component of GTAV. Hopefully they can take it to another level with the next GTA. I wonder if will put multiple cities into the map of the online component like they stated they could back when it was announced.

Still hoping they find a way to do something like this with GTA Online. It would be great to have a Liberty City expansion. Drive to the Los Santos airport and fly over to Liberty City to do a ton of new missions and meet new contacts.

Nabbis

Im not paying a single cent for that garbage. Anything positive about it gets overshadowed by the absolute shittiest loading times i have ever seen. Even the options menu is slow as fuck.

nOoblet16

Is this really a lot (I mean yea 500 million but relative to what games generate from sales) ?
Considering it probably made over a billion in a day when it launched.

danowat

Banned
Real money buys you in game money, which can be used for anything, including cooler looking and better performing cars.
So nothing approaching pay 2 win items then? Any exclusive items that you can only get with real money?

Interesting to know what the draw is for people to spend this amount of money, I played a little of GTA:O when it came out, but never really saw the need to buy anything.

These types of numbers are going to completely affect the direction of gaming in the coming years. Games will be designed from Day1 to capitalize on DLC, season passes, and in-game currency. It will 100% steer the direction of games in the future.

Looks like I will be getting into retro gaming and collecting sooner than I expected then. Lol. Man, I'll finally have time to clear out my back log. Seriously though, if SP games disappear I'm probably not going to be buying a lot of new games.

Consumer

Hopefully with Benzies out of the picture, GTA VI will have a better MP (on par with IV), or at the very least a more refined SP.

More money to invest back into the franchise. Red dead and the next GTA are going to be massive. Good on rockstar though gta5 really is the full package and then some. I don't play it as often as I would like due to time constraints, but I could see my 13 year old self playing nothing but GTA all day, everyday.

Jesus.H.Christ, basically the reason they haven't done any SP DLC spelt out half a fucking billion times. It's an insane moneymaker.

I never got into online, but the way my nephew obsessively plays the damn thing they are doing something right, this is a guy who is/was completely enamoured with fps games. Probably helps they added a fuckton of content, for free since it launched.

Fingers crossed they invest the money in making number 6 a cultural phenomenon like 5 was.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hopefully with Benzies out of the picture, GTA VI will have a better MP (on par with IV), or at the very least a more refined SP.

Well, since the other thread was locked:

Should've just stuck with SP DLC to at least maintain their goodwill rather than cashing out with shark cards, but it seems that was impossible with Benzies on the team.

Did we read the same article? Without Benzies' oversight, RDR was in development hell with the Housers' watching it. Say what you want about GTAOnline, but if Benzies is gone, I don't expect GTA6/"6:Online" to any good if the Housers can't manage a product.

Briarios

It's so weird ... I don't know anyone that plays GTA Online, and no one on my PSN friends list does. However, I know it has this really active user base. I wonder if it's like those FTP games where all the money is generated from just a few players. There was that report where like 60% of revenues come from 0.23% of players in FTP games.

Rembrandt

Banned
Is this really a lot (I mean yea 500 million but relative to what games generate from sales) ?
Considering it probably made over a billion in a day when it launched.

$500 million in micro transactions is a lot.

So nothing approaching pay 2 win items then? Any exclusive items that you can only get with real money?

Interesting to know what the draw is for people to spend this amount of money, I played a little of GTA:O when it came out, but never really saw the need to buy anything.

Nah, technically but yeah, realistically. Everything is purchasable without spending actual one but it's grind to get money and some things are so expensive that it's unfeasible for me to think someone could buy them without paying.

That makes me mad (for about 5 seconds and one internet post, don't make a big deal out of my being "mad" please), because GTAV:O has F2P-level pricing. It's 100 fucking dollars for only 8 million in game monies. That's enough for like 8 cheaper planes, and still not enough to buy a golden jet (10 mil). If anyone thinks that's reasonable value, I say your sense of value is distorted to the point of being non-functioning. F2P, and micro-transactions are so overly inflated in price and (some) people just accept it. It's very depressing and I hope it doesn't infect too much more of the industry.

You can ultimately ignore this stuff so far, but it's still disheartening. And the grind is very real if you can't resist wanting nice stuff in GTA V. The half a million, or however much, I received for pre-ordering the game was a nice buffer against the BS in online mode. At least I could grab a few things without having to grind for untold hours. I also wish things besides heists made you passable amounts of money.

Also, online heists were a hell of a good time, but I laughed seeing their prices every time buying online money entered my mind. I would gladly pay them more money for a Heist pack, with new heists, but not for a few extra cars etc.

Arttemis

Gross. GTAO is such an unenjoyable, fragmented, and unmanageable experience with an unfriendly pricing scheme that it's a shame to see the market rewarding it so handsomely.

I would have vastly preferred single player expansions.

$500 million in micro transactions is a lot.

Nah, technically but yeah, realistically. Everything is purchasable without spending actual one but it's grind to get money and some things are so expensive that it's unfeasible for me to think someone could buy them without paying.

I always pay attention to when Rockstar puts out the featured playlists for Online. That's how I get a good chunk of money cause they usually boost RP and payouts.

This week for instance...

actual_1460040264.jpg

And yet its also one of the biggest letdowns.

Long load times. No good solo content. Don't-call-us-we'll-call-you mission selection. Aimbot AI that is more of an armor check than a fun challenge, and mundane expenses and super stingy payouts to encourage shark card purchases. And to think the worst aspect of it all might be that swimming in cash is keeping them from producing any more single player content.

If GTAO is the template for the future, GTA VI might be the first one I skip.

It has its moments but I can't help but see it as a tremendous missed opportunity for such an incredible world. The whole thing reeks of bean counter design, end to end.

danowat

Banned
It's 100 fucking dollars for only 8 million in game monies. That's enough for like 8 cheaper planes, and still not enough to buy a golden jet (10 mil).
So over $100 for a golden jet? Is this the same as a normal jet that is available for a (much) cheaper price but just golden? Does nothing special other than show other players you're minted?

i really didnt like it when i got my ps3 and ps4 copies, until much later on i decided to give it another try and gotta admit shit is dope once you get to know whats up with the game.

only the loading times is what is dragging this mode to not reaching 1 billion sooner
stat out of my ass

Consumer

Did we read the same article? Without Benzies' oversight, RDR was in development hell with the Housers' watching it. Say what you want about GTAOnline, but if Benzies is gone, I don't expect GTA6/"6:Online" to any good if the Housers can't manage a product.

Having trouble finding my other post mentioning this (deleted for some reason?), but at this point there's no way of knowing the full situation. It could've been as simple as light-hearted hyperbole, or perhaps they were struggling at some point but found a workaround & improved their management skills.

The Benzies argument is a moot point and we won't know the full context/current situation until the lawsuit further progresses.

EDIT: Found the post.

zma1013

So over $100 for a golden jet? Is this the same as a normal jet that is available for a (much) cheaper price but just golden?

The golden jet is slower than the regular one and lets passengers watch animations of their characters drinking wine in the back.

Nah man. Heists and the collection of Lamar missions in the first Lowriders DLC are standouts. Also some amazing user created content is in there.

I can't imagine people are still playing AC Multiplayer modes to this day. Tacked on??? definitely not.

You only mention things that were not present until weeks or even months after release. That might be the problem here.
When the game released, GTA Online was a ghost town content wise.

Consumer

Seriously?

To be fair, role players are amongst the most hardcore fans and are usually the ones willing to dish out that kind of money for their own entertainment. Not really a problem with that IMO; it clearly doesn't affect the rest of us.

And yet its also one of the biggest letdowns this gen.

Long load times. No good solo content. Don't-call-us-we'll-call-you mission selection. Aimbot AI that is more of an armor check than a fun challenge, and mundane expenses and super stingy payouts to encourage shark card purchases. And to think the worst aspect of it all might be that swimming in cash is keeping them from producing any more single player content.

All the missions can be selected from the pause menu.

419995126.jpg

danowat

Banned
To be fair, role players are amongst the most hardcore fans and are usually the ones willing to dish out that kind of money for their own entertainment. Not really a problem with that IMO; it clearly doesn't affect the rest of us.
If they are having fun, it's their money, I guess, but it think it's a little niave to think it won't affect the rest of us in some way or another with developers looking at other revenue streams.

You only mention things that were not present until weeks or even months after release. That might be the problem here.
When the game released, GTA Online was a ghost town content wise.

There was a bunch of things to do at launch as well. Ghost town? Come on man... A lot of people just wanted to do the stuff that would get them the most money and repeating it over and over. Like the Turbine Carbine mission. Races, Deathmatch, Survival, Golf, Tennis, Contact missions...a lot of other stuff.

I was just listing some of the cool stuff you can do now for someone that has only played the game back when it first hit.

Is that new?

I thought R* designed the mission selection the way they did to keep people from grinding the high paying missions. Also thought that was the case with heists.

No, that was always in there. They changed the replay option after completing a mission when you were at the mission selection vote screen while in a lobby. For Heists, once completed you can launch them all from your phone.

Show me where I pick a specific lowrider mission or one of the other unique missions. Not racing or deathmatch. I'd like to know because I can't find it.

I'll check tonight. They should be in the mission tab. Maybe not. And yeah, I have experienced connection issues too. Probably related to hosts with shit connections. I play on PC now and have rarely had a problem dropping a connection playing with friends.

Gross. GTAO is such an unenjoyable, fragmented, and unmanageable experience with an unfriendly pricing scheme that it's a shame to see the market rewarding it so handsomely.

I would have vastly preferred single player expansions.
This. I did not enjoy GTAO one bit and a lot of my friends dropped it just as quickly. I'm quite surprised to see it raking in as much money as it currently does.

Good bye single player expansions, forever.

Ooccoo

There needs to be a story expansion

I'd also like to see a mode where death is permanent in GTAO just for the lulz

Consumer

If they are having fun, it's their money, I guess, but it think it's a little niave to think it won't affect the rest of us in some way or another with developers looking at other revenue streams.

I meant the individual items themselves (like the plane), not the overarching microtransaction-based economy -- that definitely is a problem and one of the reasons I prefer IV's MP to GTAO.

I'm glad that Rockstar is getting major cash from this game because it helps justify the effort put into GTA V, but it's worth stating that GTA Online is basically shit for 95% of people and Rockstar may have permanently hurt its Grand Theft Auto brand with it.

I'm level 85 in GTA O as well, so it's not like I played it and dropped it, I put a lot of time in with it and did have plenty of fun moments, but at almost every turn there were bad design decisions made by Rockstar. The last ~6 months of content has been abysmal, as they've just been spamming discounts on crap without adding anything new.

Top Bottom