• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online has generated over half a billion dollars in revenue

Enco

You would think that would make them want to fix the garbage involved.

That being said, Online is amazing with friends.

S.Holmes

Banned
Not surprising.

I bought over 4 copies because of the generation leap. Every kid out there is in GTA. Well nearly every. It's absurd how many people play this game. Fully deserved though.

Now for the love of god please improve the loading times for the next GTA.

cakely

Gotta by that solid gold superyacht. Literally.

I guess I can't complain, the post-launch support for GTA:O has been superb.

Nibel

GTA Online has the potential to achieve the greatest profit margin of any game created in the GTA franchise.

gary-patterson-sweat-r7sqi.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
This is scary as I hope they dont incorporate this into their next games single player. The multiplayer already sucks because of the grind. Id love to get a lowrider ( especially for sp ) but wont put in the effort because of the grind.

Imagine how much money it would make if the load times werent the worst ever in the history of mankind and existence of the universe 4th dimension

These types of numbers are going to completely affect the direction of gaming in the coming years. Games will be designed from Day1 to capitalize on DLC, season passes, and in-game currency. It will 100% steer the direction of games in the future.

People say it won't, but I still think this is going to influence the direction of GTA6.

Yup. Online only shared experience with Single player storyline.

And Once GTA goes Online only, its wrap for AAA titles being primary Single player experiences. Sony and Nintendo maybe the holdouts for a few titles, but thats about it.

zma1013

I'm not surprised. They designed the entire online system to screw customers to the point they feel they have to pay money to get anything and to add to it designed a whole bunch of money sinks into the game to erode away whatever money you do get.

Missions that take a lot of time and pay very little money relative to what you can buy + money penalties around every corner + releasing cool cars that cost an absurd amount of in game cash = better buy those shark cards kids or you'll be here forever.

I'm very concerned they will double down with this anticonsumer approach the next go around and make it worse.

Other interesting snippets:
GTA Online has the potential to achieve the greatest profit margin of any game created in the GTA franchise. In November 2015, Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick announced that two years after its initial release, nearly 8,000,000 people were still playing GTA Online each week.
The Houser brothers had little interest in GTA Online, and did not focus on its development, all as reflected in Bugstar.

Welfare

Take Two have a Destiny sized multiplayer section in what was originally a highly well received single player series, in their pocket.

Fucking insane. GTAV will never die.

And this mode was an add on to the single player.

BONDO

People hate but GTA online is outstanding. But ive got a regualr squad too in private rooms.
We have all contributed a few bucks ourselves.

anddo0

People hate but GTA online is outstanding. But ive got a regualr squad too in private rooms.
We have all contributed a few bucks ourselves.

That's why you like....

Private rooms are the only way around the endless loading times.

I think quite a few people would change their tune about GTAO if they knew the workarounds.

MMaRsu

Banned
These types of numbers are going to completely affect the direction of gaming in the coming years. Games will be designed from Day1 to capitalize on DLC, season passes, and in-game currency. It will 100% steer the direction of games in the future.

Yup. And sadly as long as we as gamers keep buying into this bullshit it wont go away either. I feel a lot of people have little self control and want a complete game.

Man! I wish I liked Online. I should give it another try. Every time I played, the only thing people would vote for was the mission where you steal the prison bus.

zma1013

Man! I wish I liked Online. I should give it another try. Every time I played, the only thing people would vote for was the mission where you steal the prison bus.

Which is funny because that's one of the more difficult one plus one person in the group has the most boring role ever, flying the slow ass plane.

dukeoflegs

I wonder what the percentage of user's have contributed to that number? I know mobile free to play their numbers are supported by less than 5% (I've read as low as 1%).

The locked content and fractured player base killed this for me. If they're making so much money why not just give people some sp dlc like they want, if they don't it better mean a quick turnaround for 6.

I'm happy hackers randomly dropped me
Millions so I didn't have to farm for a house or car. I cannot stand the amount of lobbies and loading it takes to do missions in online.

Top Bottom