• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online is a bit of a mess

*It's fun when you have your entourage

Else people will fight for glory (boat) during The Pacific Standard Job final part of that mission, and thus loosing all of your cash and time.

LOL

I got a lot of fun out of it playing with friends, but yeah, its really hard to like the:

• Overpriced shit
  • Long ass loading times, its almost a cloud view simulator <-- most important problem
  • Idiotic player base in hydras
  • Still no animals online, breaks the immersion
  • Framerate is all over the place in PS4

Those things made all my friends stop playing it.

I hope they can fix those things for GTA 6 online.

BibiMaghoo

Game is great with the exception of the lobby system, which is appalling by any measure. That it boots you to the world when someone leaves the game and not to the lobby is a failure in design that should have been rectified long ago.

Dead on OP. Loading times and lobbies is why I play this a lot less than I normally would because when in game it's a blast. Rockstar completely dropped the ball on something that should have been amazing.

Freeman76

I never understood how this got so popular until I starting working in Secondary Schools around the County. Literally every lad I have asked from year 7 to year 11 is playing the online portion of this game, and many of them get Shark Cards for pocket money/presents etc.

I never understood how this got so popular until I starting working in Secondary Schools around the County. Literally every lad I have asked from year 7 to year 11 is playing the online portion of this game, and many of them get Shark Cards for pocket money/presents etc.

Next time you see them, please tell them to stop blowing up my shit for no reason. lol.

Great online experience with a tight group of friends. Solo players should probably not bother. The streets of Los Santos can be rough online for solo players.

Freeman76

Next time you see them, please tell them to stop blowing up my shit for no reason. lol.

LOL this is literally what most of them are playing it for. I complained to one of them about when I tried to pick someone up to do a VIP mission and they sticky bombed my car. The young lad pissed himself and said he would have done the same!

Carcetti

- Horrible p2p servers that you have to reconnect to and reconnect to and reconnect to and...

- Longest loading times in videogame history

- The worst playerbase of all time including MOBAs and you have to interact with them to do heists

Hope they fix this crap up in RDR2.

- Horrible p2p servers that you have to reconnect to and reconnect to and reconnect to and...

- The worst playerbase of all time including MOBAs and you have to interact with them to do heists

This has to be my number one complaint. I love playing the game, but with the money they have rolling in they better have dedicated servers for the RD Online.

Can you guys imagine if Rockstar allowed dedicated servers with this world and and engine. PC communities being able to host tons of people and have custom rulesets. You know if they did that and made microtransactiins just for cosmetic stuff I'd still think they would make an absolute killing off of it.

Do they penalize players for messing up missions? Like blatantly c4ing a car or something?

I can see trying to actually play online would be like in left4dead, your going to need a friends list.

Do they penalize players for messing up missions? Like blatantly c4ing a car or something?

I can see trying to actually play online would be like in left4dead, your going to need a friends list.

Yes they do. Players will be penalized for leaving missions, though they have to do it a bunch to actually be put in a bad sport lobby for a duration of time. Same with players blowing up other players vehicles. There is a insurance cost that is taken out of their own money, so YOU don't have to pay the insurance cost to get it back. Though again, they have to blow up a lot of vehicles to finally be placed in a bad sport lobby.

"Good sports" get a $2000 reward for behaving every couple hours of play. Though I think they should increase the reward to something like $50,000 or $100,000. That might help more people to just chill the hell out. lol. But then again, the players who like to just cause havoc don't really give a shit about any of that.

Again, I think dedicated servers would help battle against all that shit. Like any other game, people would eventually find the servers that they liked and ban assholes who didn't like to play by their rules.

Stopped playing some months ago, no matter how much you progress Rockstar keeps implementing DLC content that is insanely priced to push Sharkcards.

I rather pay for DLC than play these shitty vehicle DLC updates.

Cepheus

You pretty much only get punished for destroying other players' Personal Vehicles, where you have to pay their insurance costs which can run into the thousands. Plus, you get put on a 'bad sport' list and if you do it enough times you get put in games with other 'bad sports' for a while. Annoyingly, you also have to pay this insurance yourself if you accidentally drive your own car into water or destroy it in any other way. Spent an afternoon grinding for money and badly land a jump in freeroam? Tough, you have to do it all over again to get enough money to get your car back. I'm tired of this and it's literally the only anti-griefing measure in the whole game, and it barely works. The only thing fun about it is baiting trolls into destroying your Personal Vehicle so they lose money.

Yep. Some of the best, most original game modes in any multiplayer game ever, but because the game was so poorly designed, nobody wants to play them. If they're not 'grindable' then nobody will play a mode no matter how fun it is, and people who want to play the fun modes will not be able to find other people who want to play. With millions of active players, it's impossible that nobody wants to play these modes... There have to be at least 8 people looking to play them somewhere in the world, but because of the poor design of the "invite only" SMS/phone message system, lobbies for modes like this will never fill up.

Yeah, the couple of times I've managed to play Top Fun it was really really great (only myself and one other player, sadly), but despite waiting in the lobbies for up to 10 minutes at a time and sending invites to players of equivalent skill level, I didn't manage to ever play that game mode again. It's a shame because inventive game modes like this are the kind of thing I want from multiplayer games, as oppose to races or team deathmatches.

I've never had any issue with load times but I've only ever played with the same 3-6 people. Never really step foot in a public lobby, but it seems like it takes forever when you're trying to join full lobbies. Seems like something that still could've been fixed though.

I've had the cloud loading screens take well over 15 minutes on the PS4, and that happens pretty regularly. It can be enjoyable once you get into a game world or some of the activities, but a pretty large percentage of the time is spent waiting on the game to load.

elco

In addition to everything else that's been mentioned, autoaim. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. Maybe it's been toned down or something.

Here's the problem with this... It's that the majority of lobbies, people are grinding the mode. It's currently a 2x payout because of halloween, and the majority of players are entering the mode and trying to make the games last as long as possible and go as many rounds as possible to grind money and RP, not actually trying to win until the final round.

The result is a like 22 minutes of doing nothing, and then 60 seconds of trying to actually win.

Every mode breaks down like this.

I've played a few matches and people seem to be pretty serious about attempting to win, I've played some pretty long matches though.

I guess its down to who you're playing with and what game plan they have for the game mode.

I got a lot of fun out of it playing with friends, but yeah, its really hard to like the:

• Overpriced shit
  • Long ass loading times, its almost a cloud view simulator <-- most important problem
  • Idiotic player base in hydras
  • Still no animals online, breaks the immersion
  • Framerate is all over the place in PS4

Those things made all my friends stop playing it.

I hope they can fix those things for GTA 6 online.

I've found the loading times on starting up the game in GTA Online takes longer than going to single player and loading Online, other than that the loading times haven't been too long for me, it could be faster tough.

Coming from the PS3 version of the game until I got the game on PC when it launched the loading times are a godsend here, not sure what it's like on the PS4 and Xbox One though.

Also, damn, how bad does the frame-rate get?

I was thinking of picking this game up when I get a PS4 Pro to play with my console friends on PSN, hopefully they make a patch for the Pro so it could potentially run better.

I can take just about handle the drop from 60 fps on PC to 30 fps on console, but sub 30? I had enough of that on the PS3 version I don't know if I can take that again lol.

P2P... Oh man, I can't even be bothered to complain about how annoying the P2P sessions are.

I really hope Red Dead Redemption 2 has dedicated servers, I can see Rockstar pushing the boundaries with RDR2 seeing as it's a current gen game with no last gen consoles holding it down, it will be incredible to see what they do with it, it would be cool to see more enter-able interiors online too.

The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

I can't help but eagerly await in anticipation for more single-player gameplay and also gameplay and details about the multiplayer, Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer was absolutely amazing!

Red Dead Redemption is in my top ten favourite games of all time, and it's my favorite Rockstar Game, RDR2 is a dream come true, it feels so unreal to have the game finally revealed!

Dabanton

R* lobby system design has been appalling since GTA4

Too many screens and things to select, I liked that they added the phone search but what would happen is a lobby would take too long to start and people would just leave.

It needs to be no longer than 2 mins to get into a match.

I do like that they have more activities in the actual 30 player game now now maybe thats what they need to move towards.

Top Bottom