• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: The Trilogy PS4|OT| We heard you like strippers so we stripped the soundtracks

Grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-xbox.jpg

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy is a compilation of the three main video games that belong to the third "era" of the open world action-adventure Grand Theft Auto series: Grand Theft Auto III (2001), Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (2004). The compilation was first released in 2005.

Links
SA
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...reas/cid=UP1004-CUSA03506_00-SLUS209460000001

VC
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...city/cid=EP1004-CUSA03546_00-SLES510610000001

III

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...-iii/cid=EP1004-CUSA03550_00-SLES503300000001

Release Date
5th December 2015 on PSN

What's new?
Trophies
Stripped music from Vice City and San Andreas
Slightly better graphics

Price
Fourteen.Nintey-Nine
Fourteen bucks and ninety-nine cents

Each!

Trophies
III
http://www.exophase.com/game/grand-theft-auto-3-ps4/trophies/

VC
http://www.exophase.com/game/grand-theft-auto-vice-city-ps4/trophies/

SA

http://www.exophase.com/game/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-ps4/trophies/

Tracks removed
VC:
. Michael Jackson -"Billie Jean"
· Michael Jackson -"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin"
· Ozzy Osbourne -"Bark At The Moon"
· Kate Bush -"Wow"
· Herbie Hancock - "Rock It"
· Afrika Bambaataa -"Looking For The Perfect Beat"
· Lionel Richie - "Running with the night"
· A couple of songs from Radio Espantoso

SA:

Playback FM
Ultramagnetic MC’s - Critical Beatdown

Radio Los Santos
2 Pac - I Don’t Give A f*ck
NWA - Express Yourself

Bounce FM
Fatback - Yum Yum
Roy Ayers - Running Away
The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me

KDST
Tom Petty - Running Down A Dream
Joe Cocker - Woman to Woman

K-JAH West Radio
Black Harmony - Don’t Let It Go to Your Head
Blood Sisters - Ring My Bell

Radio:X
Ozzy Osbourne - Hellraiser
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

Master Sounds 98.3
Charles Wright - Express Yourself
The Blackbyrds - Rock Creek Park
James Brown - Funky President
Macer & The Macks - Soul Power ‘74
James Brown - The Payback
The JB’s - Grunt

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-0bKMXfpk
https://youtube.com/watch?v=LT9JFmmOcKw

Why are you all here? Go buy it!

Btw this is my first OT thanks guys.

Not having Billie Jean is a no buy for me. That was the first song that kicked in when I first played Vice City back in the day.

these songs were removed from the ps2 classics too. A shame that the license expired for some tracks, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the games since their soundtracks are great.

fun fact: playing through vice city, there's a mission where you are introduced to the character kant paul, you talk with him to know about lance vance's kidnapping, and the conversation it's at the malibu club. The cutscenes in this game play a specific music rather than a random one, and the one that plays in this mission is "billie jean", which as you know, it's been removed from the game. I don't know if in this version this cutscene has been changed, but i thought it was pretty funny that the music still popped up

From what I've seen it ain't pretty. Very muddy looking and the UI is simply stretched to 16:9, and apparently the framerate rarely hits 30.

The latter point will likely never be changed as the RenderWare GTA games completely break down above 25/30fps, so in short the best version of each is the PC one that you can download and fix/mod for pennies by now.

these songs were removed from the ps2 classics too. A shame that the license expired for some tracks, but that doesn't detract from the quality of the games since their soundtracks are great.

fun fact: playing through vice city, there's a mission where you are introduced to the character kant paul, you talk with him to know about lance vance's kidnapping, and the conversation it's at the malibu club. The cutscenes in this game play a specific music rather than a random one, and the one that plays in this mission is "billie jean", which as you know, it's been removed from the game. I don't know if in this version this cutscene has been changed, but i thought it was pretty funny that the music still popped up
Speaking of which, I didn't even notice what music they played when I went through it in the IOS version

ps3ud0

Guess Ill have to make do with the PS3 versions of the PS2 games - least they are complete.

Surprised R* couldnt organise to get the licenses back, I guess they probably thought they wouldnt need to

ps3ud0 8)

Songs were removed a while back, for the mobile/PC/360/PS3 releases. Really sucks though as this

This title has been converted from the original PlayStation®2 version to the PS4™ system. Consequently, there may be times where the title plays differently from the PlayStation®2 version, or where some features may not function properly. This version does not support PlayStation®2 peripherals, therefore some functionality may not be available.

Had me hoping it was just a ROM dump with emulation over the top :(

I cheered up a bit once I remembered I can run Spotify for PS4 over the top and listen to the original playlists on there!

DayEnder

Not having Billie Jean is a no buy for me. That was the first song that kicked in when I first played Vice City back in the day.

Spotify or custom soundtrack from dlna/usb?

Welcome to licensing hell. EA Sports/Big games would be nightmares for licensed music too.

Eusis

Not at those ridiculous prices.
Yeah, I'd rather just wait on a sale myself. I don't like that Sony went from basically most friendly to least friendly in one fell swoop as it is for long term ownership, but it's also something I DO have on PC through Steam in addition to the PS3 version. May as well just play there, right?

JTripper

Put these in a trilogy bundle for $25 bucks and I'm so in. Added platinum trophies make me wanna play these even more, and I never even got to beat Vice City or San Andreas back in the day!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I'm sure they couldn't secure the rights to those songs for these releases.

I always wonder how those music contracts are set up, do the songs get licensed for a set amount of time or they get the rights for a platform only like PS2? Maybe these new PS4 releases are considered a brand new version of the game and therefore the existing agreement doesn't stand anymore. Anyway i'm kinda disgusted they would touch VC soundtrack, will wait for sale.

I always wonder how those music contracts are set up, do the songs get licensed for a set amount of time or they get the rights for a platform only like PS2? Maybe these new PS4 releases are considered a brand new version of the game and therefore the existing agreement doesn't stand anymore. Anyway i'm kinda disgusted they would touch VC soundtrack, will wait for sale.

It's time, not platform. The PC version of Vice City has been available since 2003 (unsure about the Steam release) and it was available for quite a long time, then in 2011 or so they patched out the songs.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
It's time, not platform. The PC version of Vice City has been available since 2003 (unsure about the Steam release) and it was available for quite a long time, then in 2011 or so they patched out the songs.

Damn i see now, time actually makes more sense now that i think about it, thanks for explaining. Now i wonder if my vice city copy i bought on PSN was altered in anyway.....they couldn't have, i think i'm gonna have to check.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Been playing Vice City and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it holds up. The upscaling helps obviously and the controls are still pretty ass, but still, really enjoying it.

Consumer

Not a very accurate title since I don't believe they've said trilogy in their marketing, but nice thread nonetheless.

I'll purchase the "trilogy" when I've got time on my hands to plat them.

E: I'm aware they released a trilogy in 2005 with these games, but these are sold individually (so my point -- although pedantic -- still stands).

Breakage

Damn, haven't seen the PS2 era GTAs for some time - everything looks so primitive. The cars look like toys lol.

gossi

i played an hour of GTA San Andreas and some GTA Vice City. Work great.

And yes, trophies unlock when cheating. One of the GTA trophies even says it's only possible to get it via cheating.

I wonder if Kojima stuffed MGSV with all those license songs so Konami can't port the game next gen without paying more?
That's tactical espionage.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bought Vice City and San Andreas.

Gutted about the removed music, but I'll live.

muzzymate

Wait, what? Vice City without the soundtrack is like a car driving with a flat tire.

Surprised. Even the iOS version of the GTA games have their soundtrack.

Top Bottom