• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Trilogy May Have Removed Confederate Flag

rkofan87

Gold Member
Hence the thread we already have. And btw should they censor much moore then I will be pissed too, but not over confederate flags. Though the character is a redneck idiot so why they removed it I don't get.
oh i did not know of the other thread this needs to get locked then so hot heads like me will stop acting like a asshole

Javthusiast

Banned
As long as you can chainsaw random people and drive over them with a tractor it's all good.
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV

GametimeUK

Only because they removed the ban in 2018.

Before that was a no no.
🤷🏻‍♂️
What point are you trying to make here because that's just like me saying "only because it was banned pre 2018".

You say I make no sense? It's you who makes no sense. Do you not think there's a difference between censoring a flag in a game because of the countries laws and censoring a game to appease snowflakes? There is a difference.

My point is with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the swastika was censored in the next Wolf game since someone is always offended by this imagery. The game being censored in Germany is irrelevant. And if you think it's relevant then my point will be the game could end up looking like how Wolf 1 and 2 looked in Germany for all players WORLDWIDE if things continue down this path.

I honestly don't see why the flag in GTA needed to be censored. It's not celebrated and these guys are not hero's.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not surprising. I suspect this is also part of the reason why we haven't seen a recent GTA. The tone and writing of IV and V weren't great to begin with but anything thematically in line with what GTA has traditionally delivered is one hell of tightrope to walk in our political climate.

That's the entire joke, man!!!

The confederate flag was in the original game to piss off and mock the people that care about it.

Pretty much but context is lost in this day and age of social media and our hyper-politicized meida.

this is vcpr gone as well

Really?

Last edited:

In Germany or Worldwide? I believe they are in Vanguard, but are an option that you toggle. Maybe more games could do with toggles.
They changed the law for videogames in 2018.

Satire is lost on morons and sustaining the usage of that imagery normalizes it. I would probably have a slightly softer stance if it mattered, like....at all in this game, but it doesn't.

That sounds like a them problem to me, and to be honest I'm not even sure if you've played the game before if you think this satirical take would "normalize" the confederate flag. It's unfortunate in this social climate that context means precisely jack shit and nuance is dealt with like hitting grapes with a sledgehammer.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

INB4 "but, but, buuuuut game preservation"
For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.
Start Vice City chopping up a guy with a chainsaw in a bathroom, go outside, get a hooker in your car and fuck her, go to the strip club, get a giant dildo and start beating the shit out of everyone, go rob an army tank and kill 300 innocent civilians = all good in the hood.

A flag = holy mother of fuck. We have to remove this. Think of the little children who will be playing this 18 rated game who might become criminalised if they see this shitty render of a flag on a shirt.

coffinbirth

What point are you trying to make here because that's just like me saying "only because it was banned pre 2018".

You say I make no sense? It's you who makes no sense. Do you not think there's a difference between censoring a flag in a game because of the countries laws and censoring a game to appease snowflakes? There is a difference.

My point is with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the swastika was censored in the next Wolf game since someone is always offended by this imagery. The game being censored in Germany is irrelevant. And if you think it's relevant then my point will be the game could end up looking like how Wolf 1 and 2 looked in Germany for all players WORLDWIDE if things continue down this path.

I honestly don't see why the flag in GTA needed to be censored. It's not celebrated and these guys are not hero's.
And nothing of value is lost.

coffinbirth

Start Vice City chopping up a guy with a chainsaw in a bathroom, go outside, get a hooker in your car and fuck her, go to the strip club, get a giant dildo and start beating the shit out of everyone, go rob an army tank and kill 300 innocent civilians = all good in the hood.

A flag = holy mother of fuck. We have to remove this. Think of the little children who will be playing this 18 rated game who might become criminalised if they see this shitty render of a flag on a shirt.
thumb_false-equivalence-will-get-you-nowhere-false-equivalence-will-get-51029999.png

kingkaiser

They changed the law for videogames in 2018.

Dude, read your own source. The ban is only partially lifted. It is still illegal to release a game or movies in Germany with swastikas appearing out of context.
Very much like that Confederate flag is completely out of context since the GTA games do not portray the Civil War.

skybaby

I mean...good?
If anyone is out there getting upset at the removal of a confederate flag in a video game, maybe you have bigger issues.

INB4 "but, but, buuuuut game preservation"
For the love of bacon, please STFU. There are millions of copies of these games in the world and will be easily accessible long after your concerned corpse is nothing but dust and your bloodline has ended.

"But, but, buuuuut disc rot, but, but, buuut"....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuut it.
You're annoying. What if someone decides to paint over penises and vaginas in classical paintings? There's pictures everywhere of the originals, what's the problem? Just look at them

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Go on big brain, please explain how that’s a false equivalence, I’ll even copy the definition of a false equivalency to help get you on your way.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which an equivalence is drawn between two subjects based on flawed or false reasoning. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency. Colloquially, a false equivalence is often called "comparing apples and oranges."

coffinbirth

Go on big brain, please explain how that’s a false equivalence, I’ll even copy the definition of a false equivalency to help get you on your way.

False equivalence is a logical fallacy in which an equivalence is drawn between two subjects based on flawed or false reasoning. This fallacy is categorized as a fallacy of inconsistency. Colloquially, a false equivalence is often called "comparing apples and oranges."
It doesn't take much to understand the difference between a symbol of hatred and gameplay, does it? Oh, I guess it does.

It's impossible to argue his point well. He's just butthurt about the flag and so fragile that he needs censorship to not feel bad about it.

sainraja

I don't care which flag the character supports on his t-shirt but this is a little surprising given the company in question is Rockstar.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

My point is only snowflakes care about shitty symbolism getting removed. I couldn't care less about triggered kids.

coffinbirth

It's impossible to argue his point well. He's just butthurt about the flag and so fragile that he needs censorship to not feel bad about it.
Yup, nailed it. Your hot takes on point as usual.

I don't give two fucks if they have confederate flags or dead babies or whatever the fuck, it's just pathetic to me to cry about it's removal and says a lot more about you than it does about me.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I’m not down with censorship but I have to agree with this. I won’t notice any of the censorship unless it’s pointed out to me.
Yea, it's a silly thing to waste any kind of energy on.

This social left vs right politics has really started to give me a permanent migraine. The more people react, the stronger the counter-reaction. Whereas we could just choose to not be affected by symbols that bother us and let them lose all their power and meaning.

It's sort of like when your brothers and sisters tease you. They are looking for that reaction (anger, frustration). If you just ignore them, they grow bored of trying to press your bottons. Anyone who has had siblings knows this.

Sybrix

The thing is that people who wave those flags from their houses or cars do not see this portrayal as a mockery, they see it as a form of validation.
Disagree

Do these people also see the gun running/ drug dealing as validation?

It’s a joke in a game world where they lampoon the American culture all the way to the moon

Start removing images that may offend and you start on a very slippery slope that ends what GTA games are about

Top Bottom