• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V is Getting Hammered By Steam User Reviews. "Save Open IV" Petition over 40k

Would be a great point if there would not be data, which leave no place for imagniry ridicoulus maybes. The ammount of people playing are steady at there were no major falloff, especially not in the region you claim

The negative reviews are about 33.000.

Do you seriously not understand that those people could have stopped playing while the other few millions just go about their business?

Do you understand now or?

Rncewind, where are you from if I may ask? I will assume English is not your first language.

Rncewind

The negative reviews are about 33.000.

Do you seriously not understand that those people could have stopped playing while the other few millions just go about their business?
I do
But this is not reflecting anywhere in the player stats. I didnt make 80 % of the claims that you are assuming i made. This doesnt change with my native language
this is the post where you jumped on with shit posting:

would maybe a better thing if they hammered it with not playing it

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

none of the things you claimed i stated. I stated the fact that it would a more effective thing when it wouldnt be one of the most played games on steam right now

which is still and will be a 100 % correct fact.

but it seems like this is "shitposting" and not the type of content wanted in this thread so i take my leave

Ardenyal

Sadly, some people see it as a personal attack when a company they like is attacked for making or having anti-consumer decisions/practices.

How about no one attacks anyone and everyone just ignores entertainment products that do not support things they like.

Durante

Good to know that there is a strong defense force on GAF even for banning single player mods
The negativity, edgy sarcasm and flat-out misrepresentation in this thread only goes to show that there truly is a defense force for everything on GAF.

It would be easier to digest if all that corporate cheerleading was at least paid for.

How about no one attacks anyone and everyone just ignores entertainment products that do not support things they like.

Why would you not attack a company ( verbally ) that clearly does things that are anti-consumer?

Why does that hurt you?

In this specific case it's removing things that people may have bought the game for. So changing a product after the fact.

13ruce

Banned
This is actually pretty cool mods are not against the law at all so Rockstar saying they are illegal is funny af.

You can do with your copy of a game whatever you want aslong as you don't sell things related to it.

Overall: Mixed 68%
We pushed it down a tier. Yay.

"Won't change anything making millions already sold blablah"
Yes, and? I mean, ideally positive change would be the result, what we all want, but Take Two are greedy assholes who don't care about or respect us, they hate us. We're not going to get it.

So to me, this is primarily about sending the message of "go fuck yourselves."
Since there is no way for us to make Take Two care, by making a significant enough financial impact, since actual change is hopeless, I'm perfectly content with that message being delivered successfully. I believe it has been.

Overall: Mixed 68%
We pushed it down a tier. Yay.

"Won't change anything making millions already sold blablah"
Yes, and? I mean, ideally positive change would be the result, what we all want, but Take Two are greedy assholes who don't care about or respect us, they hate us. We're not going to get it.

So to me, this is primarily about sending the message of "go fuck yourselves."
Since there is no way for us to make Take Two care, by making a significant enough financial impact, since actual change is hopeless, I'm perfectly content with that message being delivered successfully. I believe it has.
Yeah, the people who keep repeating the tired old "this won't do anything" rhetoric are starting to become more than a little annoying. As if sitting back and bitching about people who are making their voices heard will have any more of an effect.

EloKa

Good to know that there is a strong defense force on GAF even for banning single player mods

OpenIV is only a basic toolkit that allows modding of the game. You can mod your single game with it or you can use it as a base for cheats and unmonitored multiplayer pirate servers. And these "pirate servers" became really huge in the last weeks as well as earning huge profits.

The software isn't "bad" on it's own but because the publisher can not allow "only the good stuff" of the toolkit and disallow the bad aspects (that are built on the OpenIV foundation) they have imho every right to ban it for now

cripterion

The game's online component sucks donkey balls anyways. Never have I seen a game with so much downtime to do so little. So fucking clunky I'm amazed people play this shit.

This means absolutely nothing since everyone who wants GTA5 has it already so its not like they are going to lose sales.

adaa33200aad5ed5244c329bd899986d37376f4fabb80a8269f697de4e9c219f.jpg

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Good on the PC community for making their voices heard. Rockstar and Take Two won't be getting any more money from me if their stance on this doesn't change. I'm sure RDR2 will be great but the way T2 have shit on their playerbase, including some of their most fervent fans, is insulting.

OpenIV is only a basic toolkit that allows modding of the game. You can mod your single game with it or you can use it as a base for cheats and unmonitored multiplayer pirate servers. And these "pirate servers" became really huge in the last weeks as well as earning huge profits.

The software isn't "bad" on it's own but because the publisher can not allow "only the good stuff" of the toolkit and disallow the bad aspects (that are built on the OpenIV foundation) they have imho every right to ban it for now
Which of these cheating tools use OpenIV as a base?

Kamina

Golden Boy
If people were ignoring it those 30k voices currently would simply be swallowed by the amount players who dont care for mods. No, the bad reviews are a good thing to show how upset people are.

EloKa

Which of these cheating tools use OpenIV as a base?

i'm not familar with GTA Online Cheats.
But OpenIV allows to inject external content (like mods) into the game engine. Using this method other people wrote hooks that allow those "piracy servers" which is basically the normal single player game but emulated to play online with others. Guess GTA:O cheats will work on the same basics by using OpenIV to inject their Code. From the technical side it should work and T2's statement hints that way as well

Ploid 3.0

Just don't buy thier next game if you don't like what they are doing. They don't make good games imo.

They use to make good games with midnight club, bully.

This is my plan. I don't even mind skipping their stuff. RDR bored me and my only interest in GTA pc is for mods, like Bethesda games. I did get digital psn GTAV at launch though. I'm done, I used to be a big fan, thankfully GTAIV got me out of that phase.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Side comment as a "busy with life" casual gamer...For all you people saying the reviews mean nothing.

Granted this is just MY perspective... so take it as you will.

I sometimes flip through the queue that Steam tosses at me to see new games, be inspired etc. The very first thing I look at is the overall status of the review. If it says "overwhelmingly negative" I don't even give it a second look and I move on.

It's a poor filter I know, because I am relying on people not intentionally railroading a game (like what is happening here), but it is a passable first defense for not wasting money on bad games.

I may end up buying badly reviewed games anyway, but only after word of mouth or Gaf threads have convinced me to.

Point is, for some people, that negative flag can be an automatic skip...which is a loss of dollars.

I honestly don't think GTAV falls into this category because of how well known it is, but just making a comment on reviews in general.

Take it as you will.

PS... I still have not bought GTAV lol.

Side comment as a "busy with life" casual gamer...For all you people saying the reviews mean nothing.

Granted this is just MY perspective... so take it as you will.

I sometimes flip through the queue that Steam tosses at me to see new games, be inspired etc. The very first thing I look at is the overall status of the review. If it says "overwhelmingly negative" I don't even give it a second look and I move on.

It's a poor filter I know, because I am relying on people not intentionally railroading a game (like what is happening here), but it is a passable first defense for not wasting money on bad games.

I may end up buying badly reviewed games anyway, but only after word of mouth or Gaf threads have convinced me to.

Point is, for some people, that negative flag can be an automatic skip...which is a loss of dollars.

I honestly don't think GTAV falls into this category because of how well known it is, but just making a comment on reviews in general.

Take it as you will.

PS... I still have not bought GTAV lol.

On indie games, when I see mostly/overwhelmingly negative, I assume the game just died, or they didn't fix it or something.
When it's a triple A game, I usually look a little more into it.

Piers

"Rockstar come on release GTA6 on PC :mad:"
"No mods yeah? :D"
"Fuck you modding is everything"
"Pass :D"
"FUCK YOU!!"

Nokterian

Huge backlash kinda reminded me of this:

rnPJ7Dt.jpg

Jesus fucking christ are we still bringing this up? CoD is dead on PC anyway also showing this from fucking 2009..get the fuck out.

For the people saying oh it doesn't work, let me tell you if you don't protest nothing will change not letting your voice heard meaning you accept everything that is happening in the world be it in games or in politics.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
On indie games, when I see mostly/overwhelmingly negative, I assume the game just died, or they didn't fix it or something.
When it's a triple A game, I usually look a little more into it.

Me as well, just making a point that if a person is time limited, they may skip a game simply based on this and put their time into something with positive reviews up front.

Aaron D.

And this is exactly why nerd-rage vigilantism becomes a self-inflicted wound.

In the past month I've watched The Long Dark, EU4/CK2 and GTA V all crater in User Review rankings as Steam users protest vote against a company, disingenuously voting games down because they're mad at a publisher.

It's misdirected rage in that they're directly influencing the sales of a product they allegedly enjoy, cutting their own legs out from themselves.

I'm not even against being mad at a company. I just think the avenue of expression is short-sighted and supremely immature. It's also selfish as F. A sea of Negative reviews adversely affects a gaming community who are enjoying the product. Reduced sales means less attention to a project in the form of polish updates, DLC, and even future installments.

If you want to protest a company, stop buying a product. Write them a letter. Hell, write your congressman. But falsely posting Negative User Reviews is not only a mistake, it's disingenuous and misleading. Your reviewing the Publisher and not the Game. And that's not what the system is there for.

Top Bottom