• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V is Getting Hammered By Steam User Reviews. "Save Open IV" Petition over 40k

"Rockstar come on release GTA6 on PC :mad:"
"No mods yeah? :D"
"Fuck you modding is everything"
"Pass :D"
"FUCK YOU!!"

I more than welcome Take Two to pass on a platform that has been extremely profitable for them. In fact, I'd laugh my ass off, especially when I listen to the shareholders call since it is a publicly traded company. They're going to miss out on 7.5 million sales (on Steam alone, probably a lot more with the standalone Social Club version) because they're pissy that a handful of modders/role players aren't buying their shark cards?

shiyrley

Banned
Are you continuing to support Rockstar and Take-Two financially in other ways than microtransactions?
Probably when/if RDR2 comes to PC. You can call me a hypocrite and you will probably be right, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't stop me from complaining about them killing mods because it annoys me and no one is gonna do me a test to check if I deserve to complain.

I mean it can't be a coincidence that they stop updating the single player completely and only allowed new content to appear in GTAO

EloKa

You got any sources for this?
for example the biggest german one https://gtalife.net/ I know of few other "big" european servers using OpenIV.

for your other question why T2 takes down some mods and others not: getting access to content that should be behind a payment wall or finding ways to play online multiplayer without GTA Online causes less money for T2. Having a cheater propably doesn't

I mean it can't be a coincidence that they stop updating the single player completely and only allowed new content to appear in GTAO
Or that they actively attempted to block MP vehicles from spawning in single player, until mods were made to overcome this. Seriously, they made it so that without an extra script mod, newer online vehicles would, after a few seconds, instantly despawn from the game world if spawned via trainer. That shit is just vindictive.

for example the biggest german one https://gtalife.net/ I know of few other "big" european servers using OpenIV.

for your other question why T2 takes down some mods and others not: getting access to content that should be behind a payment wall or finding ways to play online multiplayer without GTA Online causes less money for T2. Having a cheater propably doesn't
Where does it say on that page that this tool requires OpenIV? Don't speak German, so I can't exactly navigate it. And so you admit that Take Two is doing this shit primarily for the benefit of microtransactions, not because they care so much about getting rid of cheaters. Baby steps.

Budi

Probably when/if RDR2 comes to PC. You can call me a hypocrite and you will probably be right, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't stop me from complaining about them killing mods because it annoys me and no one is gonna do me a test to check if I deserve to complain.

Sure it's worth complaining imo. I just found it funny that your way of doing it is to give negative review so other people would avoid buying their games while you still do it, seems bit redundant :p And makes the Cod boycott picture ring true even today. Not a fan of user reviews in their current state and this is partly why, though there are worse reasons to rate a game bad.
Edit: Personally I am strongly considering skipping NBA 2K18 and RDR2 despite really liking the previous games.

Wishing you power to stay strong. If Take-two doesn't bend, don't you bend either.

"Rockstar come on release GTA6 on PC :mad:"
"No mods yeah? :D"
"Fuck you modding is everything"
"Pass :D"
"FUCK YOU!!"

i dont know if you guys are being dense or have some stock in take 2 but this sounds like the same dumb shit that was pushed last gen about pirates on pc if they want to throw 8mil sales out the window because this then let them explain that to there share holders,. i never knew we were supposed to let a company hold a game ransom if we didnt let them screw us over f

Carlius

Banned
when they delay the next gta for years theyre gonna say ppl just dont game on pc. 7 millino sales, yet they treat us like 2nd class citizens cause they are scared of modding.

i dont know if you guys are being dense or have some stock in take 2 but this sounds like the same dumb shit that was pushed last gen about pirates on pc if they want to throw 8mil sales out the window because this then let them explain that to there share holders,. i never knew we were supposed to let a company hold a game ransom if we didnt let them screw us over f
Best to just put the shills on your ignore list. Not worth wasting energy replying to them.

when they delay the next gta for years theyre gonna say ppl just dont game on pc. 7 millino sales, yet they treat us like 2nd class citizens cause they are scared of modding.
Well when the vast majority of their consumer base is tied up in consoles then you are effectively second class. Sad but true.

EloKa

Where does it say on that page that this tool requires OpenIV? Don't speak German, so I can't exactly navigate it. And so you admit that Take Two is doing this shit primarily for the benefit of microtransactions, not because they care so much about getting rid of cheaters. Baby steps.
It says it everywhere on the boards and in the public discussions.
Also In what form am I admitting anything? I've mentioned "unmonitored pirated servers" already long before you started to troll.

The publisher has every right to defend their earnings. You can try to put as much blame onto people as you want to: GTA still belongs to T2 and only they can decide if they still want to earn a revenue or not.

so I just want to go for a week and cheese the shit out of the most lucrative way to cheese money in GTA:O and then give it away since I'm done with this game.

Anyone got tips for the current best way to do so? (yes I'm bored)

MUnited83

For you.

I've search that forum and all i found was tutorials on joining servers using the GT-MP multiplayer tool, nothing to do with OpenIV

so I just want to go for a week and cheese the shit out of the most lucrative way to cheese money in GTA:O and then give it away since I'm done with this game.

Anyone got tips for the current best way to do so? (yes I'm bored)
Apparently you have to flip high end cars like 120 times to afford even a Base vehicle from this expansion or something like that, so actually I'd recommend becoming one of those dreaded hackers if only because the GTA Online grind is like Korean mmo levels now

To make things clear, OpenIV supplements FiveM in the same way that Source Hammer supplements Garry's Mod. Without OpenIV, FiveM doesn't have custom assets including maps, clothes, cars and the ability to modify values like handling (which a lot of roleplaying servers use to make cars handle more like GTA4's "realistic style")

FiveM is huge and it's definitely driving a lot of traffic to the game on YouTube and Twitch and the project is still in its infancy. Right now it's 99% role playing servers but it's becoming more than that. The other day I was testing a prototype DayZ survival mod and a PUBG/Battle Royale mod.
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Grand Theft Auto V

What I want to know is why is Take Two/Rockstar rocking the boat? They monetize GTA:O for people who want to pay/play that kind of experience, they monetize GTA5 modding because you have to own the game and they monetize the role players that want to play FiveM since it authenticates whether the user is legitimate. I can't really make sense of the idea that OpenIV/FiveM are hurting their "bottom line" since GTA:O is nothing like what FiveM offers and these projects are driving tens of millions of views and I'd imagine quite a few sales.

It says it everywhere on the boards and in the public discussions.
Also In what form am I admitting anything? I've mentioned "unmonitored pirated servers" already long before you started to troll.

The publisher has every right to defend their earnings. You can try to put as much blame onto people as you want to: GTA still belongs to T2 and only they can decide if they still want to earn a revenue or not.
Yes, they have every right to defend their earnings, and we have every right to tell them to fuck off for their bullshit.

So you've got no proof, and are projecting by calling me a troll. At least now I know not to bother replying to a sad little corporate apologist further. Good day.

To make things clear, OpenIV supplements FiveM in the same way that Source Hammer supplements Garry's Mod. Without OpenIV, FiveM doesn't have custom assets including maps, clothes, cars and the ability to modify values like handling (which a lot of roleplaying servers use to make cars handle more like GTA4's "realistic style")

FiveM is huge and it's definitely driving a lot of traffic to the game on YouTube and Twitch and the project is still in its infancy. Right now it's 99% role playing servers but it's becoming more than that. The other day I was testing a prototype DayZ survival mod and a PUBG/Battle Royale mod.
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Grand Theft Auto V
Didn't Rockstar and Take Two's statements primarily revolve around preventing cheating? Going by that logic, it shouldn't matter than OpenIV allows for custom assets.

Varg

Banned
Corporate defenders are the worst posters. Dp they get paid for their blatant anti-consumer stances they post on and on about?

A horrible action taken against fans of GTAV and its modding community, and some of your guys advice is to just stay quiet and do nothing?

Like how do you come up with this stuff. Them sarcastic remarks aren't funny either.

I don't think they're anti consumer per se. They are most likely ignorant console only owners who haven't a clue what this mod does . They see mod and the first thing that comes in their head is cheating.

Didn't Rockstar and Take Two's statements primarily revolve around preventing cheating? Going by that logic, it shouldn't matter than OpenIV allows for custom assets.

Their statements are demonstrably false. They're covering for Take Two's incredibly stupid decision using "cheaters" as a shield. OpenIV prevents you from going online with mods installed and it's closed source so it's not like you can just remove a snippet of code and get around it.

If they're not going after custom assets (in an indirect way of targeting FiveM, which they have gone after before), why are they targeting asset creation tools?

01.jpeg

Their statements are demonstrably false. They're covering for Take Two's incredibly stupid decision using "cheaters" as a shield. OpenIV prevents you from going online with mods installed and it's closed source so it's not like you can just remove a snippet of code and get around it.

If they're not going after custom assets (in an indirect way of targeting FiveM, which they have gone after before), why are they targeting asset creation tools?
Because they're lying shits, of course.

Why shouldn't Paradox actually charge for things based on the actual power of the currency instead of what it was years ago?

Why shouldn't modmakers get paid if they wish?

I think the concept of compensating Mod creators is a good thing, creating mods is time consuming and can require a lot of work.

Many mods provide transformative experiences and have even helped sell copies of games and make them more popular, like the DayZ mod for Arma 2. I wasn't too fond of the past attempt in 2015 as I thought the cut was a bit low for all of the effort mod creators put in. I just hope Bethesda's Creators Club offers mod creators a decent cut, that would be really great!

Corporate defenders are the worst posters. Dp they get paid for their blatant anti-consumer stances they post on and on about?

A horrible action taken against fans of GTAV and its modding community, and some of your guys advice is to just stay quiet and do nothing?

Like how do you come up with this stuff. Them sarcastic remarks aren't funny either.

but they have my best interests!11 if you arent nice they wont give us things we want!11

yes it's gross. gaming as a whole needs to grow up and realize that companies are not your friends and will never BE your friends and that they are getting walked all over.

EloKa

So you've got no proof, and are projecting by calling me a troll. At least now I know not to bother replying to a sad little corporate apologist further. Good day.
read that board and / or use Google translate. There is even a thread from the hoster in regards of the OpenIV discussion where he states that they are using OpenIV and Scripthook.

It's okay if you want to have a discussion without facts and tell everyone to hate Rockstar/T2 but I'm not interested, ty

Budi

but they have my best interests!11 if you arent nice they wont give us things we want!11

yes it's gross. gaming as a whole needs to grow up and realize that companies are not your friends and will never BE your friends and that they are getting walked all over.

Why are we expecting/wanting them to treat us as friends then? Rather than as a source of profit, like they are doing now.

Why are we expecting/wanting them to treat us as friends then? Rather than as a source of profit, like they are doing now.

In this case, this is the opposite of treating us as a source of profit. They're rocking the boat unnecessarily. Say goodbye to ENB graphical enhancements, single player mods and FiveM (what put GTAV back at the top of Twitch's viewership numbers).

Without having the ability to jump to the alternate reality where OpenIV we'll never know how much OpenIV and FiveM made for Rockstar but anecdotally I can say they sure as hell aren't losing shark card sales among roleplayers.

Mxrz

All you're really doing is taking to chance to dissuade some poor sob from playing GTA5. Which is silly, its an amazing game.

If these folk *really* wanted to send a message, they wouldn't buy R* next game. But that would require actually doing something that requires more than a fire and forget blurb of typing.

akira28

All you're really doing is taking to chance to dissuade some poor sob from playing GTA5. Which is silly, its an amazing game.

If these folk *really* wanted to send a message, they wouldn't buy R* next game. But that would require actually doing something that requires more than a fire and forget blurb of typing.

no baby, we gon do both.

Estoc

In every protest, regardless of scale or cause, in gaming or otherwise, there are always people who'd go "shut up and take it, the best way to show your disagreement is through silence"... I don't get it.

I also don't see why protesting through user reviews is a bad thing. Whether it will get the developers/publishers to listen is one thing, but it will help keep any potential buyers aware of the latest situation. What if someone is tempted to buy GTAV because of all the mod gifs they have seen online? Not everyone is keeping themselves up-to-date, even as a gaffer, I can't say I know every latest development of games I play, or planned to buy.

Before you say "Everyone got the game anyway", I haven't, and I doubt I'm the only one.

I always check the user review section to see if the game is worth my money, there may be issues with the games, from missing features to poor performance. It beats going to Google and having to wade through hundreds of reviews that were done around the time the game came out, or asking here(or anywhere else) and then waiting for an answer. If a game recent reviews are all negative, I'd see what they say, then verify online.

Sure, Take-2 may choose to stay its course, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Mahonay

Banned
Glad the OpenIV team is getting a flood of support, they deserve it. I fear it will be all for naught going up against Take Two's giant floppy legal dick. It feels impossible for the little guy to come away winning this one, even if they are absolutely in the right.

I don't see Take Two changing their course unless Rockstar themselves pushed back hard on this.

Aaron D.

this shit really oughta be bannable at this point

I agree that both extremes make for pretty unproductive conversation.

Either your a Entitled Crybaby or a Corporate Apologist.

There's room for nuanced exploration, but I understand that it can be difficult when we're emotionally entrenched.

I think Take -Two has made a mistake here, but I also think review-bombing GTAV/Rockstar on Steam is a mistake as well.

It's a muddy situation, that's for sure.

plan9

I think Take -Two has made a mistake here, but I also think review-bombing GTAV/Rockstar on Steam is a mistake as well.

This was my point. Not that this is cool from TakeTwo/Rockstar, quite the contrary but the reaction is tad extreme.

Teeth

I'm kinda surprised that this hasn't resulted in more severe reactions from the internet.

Like repeatedly DDOSing the GTA Online servers or the Rockstar Social Club authentication servers.

Or targeted Online hacking to ruin the economy.

Or other such strong arming tactics.

Estoc

There's room for nuanced exploration, but I understand that it can be difficult when we're emotionally entrenched.

I agree a discussion could be had, but when someone just come in and either post "lolcrybabies" or a gif of, as Mahonay said, themselves. I don't think they're interested in a discussion, just flat-out dismissal of whatever is going on, so I don't think this is a "both sides are just as bad" situation when one side literally just come in and, with a lack of better term, shitpost.

I wanted the option for paid mods. That doesn't make me an apologist, that makes me an enthusiast because I am willing to pay extra for content even when it's made by a third party.

I'm not against modding in gta5. I think it's a great thing. It was great for gta4 too. But this doesn't mean I am entitled to mods. And that is take2/r*s choice to not allow mods. I'm not apologizing for it, that is their decision. Why would anyone apologize for a decision someone else made, when even the person who made the decision is not apologetic? Calling someone an apologist is just empty vitriol. I love how I was called a shill just because someone disagreed with something I said, that literally had nothing to do with supporting or being against take2s decision.

In every protest, regardless of scale or cause, in gaming or otherwise, there are always people who'd go "shut up and take it, the best way to show your disagreement is through silence"... I don't get it.

I think most people have not told you to shut up and take it. I think they've said vote with your wallet. Who has said to shut up and take it, and be silent?

Oh look, a "both sides" post. Take Two literally attempted to kill off the modding community, and people responded by downvoting the game as a form of protest, which is perfectly valid as the publisher/developer spitefully attempted to take away a hugely desirable, yet unofficial part of the game. The game getting review-bombed is a well-earned response to shitty business practices.

The two sides are nowhere near the same here.

MUnited83

For you.
I wanted the option for paid mods. That doesn't make me an apologist, that makes me an enthusiast because I am willing to pay extra for content even when it's made by a third party.

I'm not against modding in gta5. I think it's a great thing. It was great for gta4 too. But this doesn't mean I am entitled to mods. And that is take2/r*s choice to not allow mods. I'm not apologizing for it, that is their decision. Why would anyone apologize for a decision someone else made, when even the person who made the decision is not apologetic? Calling someone an apologist is just empty vitriol. I love how I was called a shill just because someone disagreed with something I said, that literally had nothing to do with supporting or being against take2s decision.

I think most people have not told you to shut up and take it. I think they've said vote with your wallet. Who has said to shut up and take it, and be silent?
It isn't their decision. No publisher should ever be able to decide if their game can be modded or not.

Village

It isn't their decision. No publisher should ever be able to decide if their game can be modded or not.

that's how I feel.

Like no other industry wont allow you to do that. If you edit a film, its whatever, remix music, whatever, you can tear up your own books after you purchase them. Trick out cars ect ect ect.

What is it with video games thinking they have domain over you after you have made the purchase

Top Bottom