• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V: PSN Digital Version Impressions - Check-In Thread

senahorse

I installed an SSD before downloading, so I don't know what it would have been like on my original 60GB, but there isn't a great deal of pop in. Sure it's there, but nowhere near as bad as that 360 comparison video (the one that compares HDD full installation vs disc), shame the SSD doesn't help the framerate though :p

edit: PS3 is a day 1 Japanese phat, and god it has gotten noisy, thinking about moving it to another room and using a HDMI extender.

I had noticeable pop in during the intro (not as bad as that comparison video) and some cars pop in on the highway they're pretty far away though not too close. But a lot less than I thought. I have gtaiv on psn and this looks a lot better and less pop in than any other open world game I've played on ps3. It's probably better on disc but my disc drive is really bad.

I'm not really that picky and I'm most likely gonna pick up the ps4 version when it comes out.

It's not xbox install bad. It's what I'd call normal open world popin

dubq

I have full control of the first character now, and I've been looking for it, but I can't notice anything wrong. No pop-in, etc. I assume it has to do with having a 7200rpm HDD/SSD hybrid installed in my PS3.

Played about 3 and a half hours today. Everything appeared fine to my eyes. The main issue occurred on the opening beach segment. There was a huge amount of pop in and texture loading issues. Since then, I haven't noticed much of anything problematic.

I'm using an original 120gb Slim

d00d3n

Has anyone installed the digital version on an SSD? I want to know if upgrading my PS3 to an SSD is worth it. I can just grab a 120GB real quick and then get the PSN version of GTA V. If it makes a difference, I'd like to try it out.

I wonder if anyone has tried this too. The original hard drive in a ps3 should not max out sata 150 bandwidth.

GTA5 is sold out everywhere in town so I thought "duh, I'll just download it!", checked the psn store and it's listed at 70 fucking euro!

Come on!

after playing a bit more I can't really complain. The game plays fine and since I'm not gonna play it on the disc it doesn't really matter.

If psn is the only way to play don't let it dissuade you.

crozier

I wonder if this helps explain why I have so much damn lag in Diablo 3 for PS3 while others do not. I never realize zed there was a difference between the disk and PSN versions, but it makes perfect sense.

Diablos

I really do not understand why installing to hdd would be worse than playing from a disc. Any internal hdd has faster access times and read speeds. WTF?

Patch this game asap, Rockstar.

crozier

I really do not understand why installing to hdd would be worse than playing from a disc. Any internal hdd has faster access times and read speeds. WTF?

Patch this game asap, Rockstar.
The game is designed to use both the HDD and disc-drive to their full capacities.

Diablos

The game is designed to use both the HDD and disc-drive to their full capacities.
Oh, so it streams from disc while utilizing part of the hard drive as a virtual buffer/ram disk of sorts? Goes to show you how far they have to go in order to get something running decently on current-gen stuff.

I'll just wait for the PC version. Obsolete consoles are obsolete, etc.

smr00

Banned
Getting more time in. Absolutely zero issues and have not seen any more pop in.
I only noticed pop in on 1 minor mission

where you get your daughter off the yacht and ride the jetskis

but apparently even people with discs experienced popping issues with that mission. Other than have i have noticed 0. Whole PSN being inferior sounds like hyperbole bullshit. Or it just runs like shit on older PS3's.

FootballFan

My one downloaded fine, installed with no problems and runs as good as it should. So no problems here.

Played about 6+ hours.

I think it's worth noting that the PS3 is known for having hard drive fragmentation issues due to the way it's formatted. The more downloading, installing, and deleting you've done, the more likely your hard drive is gonna be fragmented. So this would help explain why some people are gonna see differences in streaming. Of course having the PSN version just makes your experience that much more reliant on your hard drive being ok.

d00d3n

I am not in perfect shape to judge the difference due to anger/tiredness, but I did some stuff that seems to markedly decrease the pop in on my system.

I followed this procedure: (on a 250 gb original hard drive PS3 slim)

1. Deleted all unnecessary save files (had extremely many copies in some games like gow and ffxiii), game data files and games

2. Booted into recovery mode and ran rebuild database and restore filesystem

(I tried 2. without doing 1. earlier today without results.)

The pop in seems to have improved after this. It is still visible, but the objects that pop in are so small and far away that it feels acceptable. Additionally, and weirdly, it seems like anti-aliasing has improved along with the decreased pop in. (almost as if it was turned off before)

MercuryLS

Banned
I've been playing both, I initially wrote that the pop in with the PSN version was a lot worse. After extended playtime with both, they're comparable. PSN version has slightly more pop in for close up objects, but it happens a lot with the disc version too.

PS3 Slim 160gb HDD (standard 5400rpm).

KalBalboa

Banned
Just hit hour 5 and have had no real issues. Some minor pop-in maybe three times, but otherwise it's a gem.

500 GB
Super Slim
Stock 5400 RPM drive

This game is great, for the record.

I've got a slim 160gb I think (might be 250), and it's pretty much flawless. I made a 12 hours run yesterday, and it only then started to get pop ins but I'm thinking it was because of the long play. I know, crazy. Never had done it before, and my eyes still hurts.
KuGsj.gif

Voidguts

80 gig phat PS3 here - this morning I was experiencing really bad pop-in during the title sequence (on par with the DF 360 DVD vs HD video) and during the first mission as Franklin I drove over some invisible roads. :\ I fiddled around and did the file recovery/database rebuild stuff and it has definitely improved, can't really notice it at all unless I look really hard for it + some traffic signs still pop in occasionally.

Gambit61

Whoa. The game was running fine until I was driving on a flat texture for a bit while returning the bike to Simeon. When I got back to the shop the game froze right as Franklin was getting off the bike. I hope this was a one time occurrence. I'm playing on a 120GB slim and had no problem with The Last of Us.

I played it for a few hours last night. It runs very well. I haven't noticed any pop in anywhere. You can the frames drip quite a bit when you're driving in the city , but other than that, the game runs great. I even took the DLC blimp for a test drive and got 3 starts for not moving out of restricted air space. I jumped out low to the ground and tried to out run the cops for 20 minutes. No performance issues there with all the chaos. I'm running off a slim with a 320gb. Not sure what the speed of the HDD is, though. Probably 5400.

jsnepo

The digital version is horrible. Performance is good though but it is full of pop ins that even street cones are appearing right beside the character.

Oni Jazar

I have a 60GB launch HD and there was zero pop-in during the intro.

Ok I have to update this. I had to restart the game and when I watched the intro the second time there was *crazy* pop-in. I don't know why it was different but it was a night and day difference. I guess it's not a consistent issue. I haven't really noticed any other pop-in since then however. The main game still runs great.

oxidax

i say we all message Rockstar and ask them for information. I am sorry but i didn't pay for an inferior game and Sony wont refund my money so i could get the physical. It's unacceptable, guys. I already messaged them and i hope that more people do the same because they wont do shit if just one random dude complains.
I have a super slim, stock HDD.

Metalmarc

Just reading through Slim and super slims seem to be giving not bad results
Same with the SSD

Wonder what a superslim model ps3 plus SSD result would be.

Was tempted to give my gta v disc to brother and swap to digital, but for now i'll keep the disc.

glaurung

UK PSN digital edition user here. Stock 320GB hard drive in the first slim model of PS3.

No issues so far.

During the opening cut scene there were some objects and one texture that popped in about 0.5 seconds late (long enough for me to notice it), but during game play I have had no such problems. I've spent a total of 4 hours with the game so far.

b0bbyJ03

*****SPOILER ALERT ABOUT INTRO*****
during the intro, after the bank heist, when the credits are being shown and there are shots of the city every time there was a new shot/scene almost half of the geometry and texturing was missing and would pop in slowly. almost looked like the game was broken. I tried rebuilding the database on my ps3 and it seems to have solved the problems. i haven't rewatched that scene but i haven't noticed any pop in now. anyone else experience to this extent? (PSN version)

*****SPOILER ALERT ABOUT INTRO*****
during the intro, after the bank heist, when the credits are being shown and there are shots of the city every time there was a new shot/scene almost half of the geometry and texturing was missing and would pop in slowly. almost looked like the game was broken. I tried rebuilding the database on my ps3 and it seems to have solved the problems. i haven't rewatched that scene but i haven't noticed any pop in now. anyone else experience to this extent? (PSN version)
Did you needed to redownload the game?

banjoted

I'm a PS3 Super Slim owner, stock HDD (500GB?).

Played about three hours last night and had zero issues in-game. The only pop-up I noticed was the bit I was specifically looking for in the intro sequence. Not a thing since then. And have not noticed any texture streaming issues at all.

Continue to notice some pretty severe pop in while driving. More gas pumps appearing out of nowhere. After a quick chase through streets at night and coming to a sudden stop, the camera swings around and the detail on an entire nearby building popped in. Curious to know what's "normal" pop in for this game and what, if any, is due to the full install. Some in here didn't notice anything in the opening title cutscene so I wonder if it's kind of a random problem that pops up occasionally.

Did you say you Defragged?

dubq

Is an SSD or a 7200RPM HDD the solution then?

It looks like it may be. I did the database rebuild and file system restore before downloading/installing as well. Still, it shouldn't have to be the solution.. People should be able to enjoy the game regardless of the avenue they took to purchase it.. it's a shame that some people are getting these issues with the game, that would drive me bonkers.

i say we all message Rockstar and ask them for information. I am sorry but i didn't pay for an inferior game and Sony wont refund my money so i could get the physical. It's unacceptable, guys. I already messaged them and i hope that more people do the same because they wont do shit if just one random dude complains.
I have a super slim, stock HDD.

I tweeted them this thread. No reply, as expected.

KukicAdo

Neo Member
Pop-in is pretty noticeable, especially when driving at high speeds.

I've hit invisible things at least 10 times in the 5 hours i've played the game.

I've had the game freeze for a few seconds once and another time the entire city disappeared for a few seconds.

it's worse when exploring new areas.

still this is one of the best games i've ever played and none of the issues are game breaking nor do they take you out of the experience.

Lucario

PSN version had pop-in -- extremely bad pop-in -- during the intro cutscenes.

Nothing noticeable since, just some minor jagginess. FPS is very steady.

Launch PS3 upgraded with a 500GB hard drive which is on its last legs (most installs fail)

It never froze, never had significant lag, etc.

Top Bottom