• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V: PSN Digital Version Impressions - Check-In Thread

oxidax

It looks like it may be. I did the database rebuild and file system restore before downloading/installing as well. Still, it shouldn't have to be the solution.. People should be able to enjoy the game regardless of the avenue they took to purchase it.. it's a shame that some people are getting these issues with the game, that would drive me bonkers.

I tweeted them this thread. No reply, as expected.

Exaclty! Why should i pay $150 for another hard drive to play their game? They should have known that this was going to happen.
Did u try @RockstarSupport ? Looks like they are the only ones replying

dubq

I have noticed that a few times I will get a slight pause in the game.. I think it may be the autosave feature, though.

Exaclty! Why should i pay $150 for another hard drive to play their game? They should have known that this was going to happen.
Did u try @RockstarSupport ? Looks like they are the only ones replying

I Tweeted their main account. I'll copy in Support on that right now.

DrBo42

Have a slim from the Uncharted 3 bundle (not sure what size that is) no bad pop-in during intro or at any point in my 2-3 hours played so far.

DigiMish

I have the disc version of the game, so I can't compare it to the digital version, but I got TONS of popup during the intro cinematic - so much in fact, that I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not.

Qwell

Slim with native 250GB HDD and it has been fine. I didn't do anything special, no DB rebuild or anything. Aside from Frontier FIOS deleting about 25% of their accounts in an audit error (mine being one of those) which killed my download after 58% it has been smooth sailing.

When my internet was back up I downloaded the game in about 2 hours, install went smooth and I've played about 5 hours now without a hitch. Initial load time is lengthy but it seems that is just the way the game is, transition from 1 character to the next takes about 10 seconds until I have full control but that doesn't seem to horrible.

I'm really surprised by the texture and FPS, notice some jaggies but nothing too bad, it does remind me a lot of Red Dead in terms of the IQ and FPS.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm experiencing quite a lot of texture pop in. Haven't noticed any dips in frame rate, but the texture pop in is extremely distracting to the point that it is detracting from my overall experience. Really bummed out that I purchased via PSN. Knew I should have waited, but the hype got the best of me.

jacobeid

Banned
Is an SSD or a 7200RPM HDD the solution then?

I'm running a 500gig 7200RPM HDD in my (originally) 120gb slim and the game looks terrible. Jaggies and texture pop in all over the place so no, I don't think a faster HDD is necessarily a solution.

Teabag

Neo Member
In my first hour with GTA V, I did not notice ANY pop-ins. However, between that and my second hour, I read a lot of such threads about the issue, and now I definitely do notice it.

Instances: A whole landscape of buildings and trees and other objects plopped in front of me as I stopped (okay, fine, crashed) my vehicle; A sign popped in front of me just before I smashed into it; I definitely noticed objects popping-in during cutscenes, etc.

It is beyond me how Rockstar could not have seen this coming, and if they issued a warning against installing the second Xbox 360 disc, they should had very well warned gamers from buying the PSN version, as well. It is an unacceptable behavior. I really do hope they come up with a solution and patch it in quickly. The issue is not game breaking but hugely distracting.

However, while playing my second hour, I told myself to stop giving a damn about it and enjoy the game, and I once started to concentrate on my mission, I rarely noticed any major pop-ins. It is there, but you just have to tune it out.

oxidax

This is what they just told me,

Thank you for contacting R* Technical Support.

Ensure your PS3s firmware is up to date (settings > system update - on the main menu).

If it is up to date then delete the game data (go to Game > game data utility and find the problem game (if it is just one) - press triangle and select delete) - NOTE this is the game's install data and not the save game so you will not lose your progress.

Next follow the steps below:

Turn off Playstation®3.

Hold The power button down; The system will turn on and turn off once again.

Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps

When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.

You will be prompted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button

The Recovery menu will pop up.

Select Restore File system

Repeat and Rebuild Database

Once finished, make sure your PS3 is connected to the internet so it can download any game updates and then launch the game

If this is still happening let's try this on a second PS3 to see if the same issue is occurring.

It is also worthwhile to make sure your system is clear of dust. Use a can of compressed air and blow out ALL the vents. One spot i found that collects dust is the underside vents. Eject the game disc, while the console is off turn it over and blow out the dust in the vents on the underside(these run along the edges)

Kindest Regards,

Adam

Are they serious? I mean, i know for a FACT that this is NOT gonna work! Seriously!!? " Eject the game disc, while the console is off turn it over and blow out the dust in the vents on the underside(these run along the edges)" WOW! screw this i want a full freaking refund!

DrBo42

Day 2 and I'm getting massive pop-in issues. Was driving through a specific part of the city and my car went below the street with the roof popping out like a shark fin. Entire buildings failing to load. Avoid the PSN version at all costs, it's just not worth it folks. So disappointed.

ironcreed

Banned
Day 2 and I'm getting massive pop-in issues. Was driving through a specific part of the city and my car went below the street with the roof popping out like a shark fin. Entire buildings failing to load. Avoid the PSN version at all costs, it's just not worth it folks. So disappointed.

I have only noticed it a couple of times thus far. The game looks and runs fine for me.

PS3 Slim with 750GB HDD (Hitachi 5400rpm).

2nd day playing and had no issues in-game. No pop-in in the first cutscene and not have noticed any texture streaming issues.

Speevy

Banned
I've been hovering over the buy button but whenever I get one of these games, I have great fun for a few hours and never touch it again.

Gadirok

I think I dodged a bullet by picking the physical release over the digital.

I've still experienced some pop-in on larger fences when I was running with trevor around a military base which seemed really weird to me as from the distance you think its all a easy walk in, then you see that there is virtually no way in so it really did annoy me.

Only thing that fixed it was when I used the sniper rifle to scope the area. But other than that pop-in hasn't been a big issue for me on the physical release.

banjoted

Spent another few hours with the game last night with virtually no issues. I say virtually - had my first instance of crashing into an invisible object that appeared a second later. So popup. If this is how the game is then fine, but if this is specific to the digital version then I'll be less happy. Some firm answers are needed I think.

250gb superslim. Had absolutley no issues thus far minus pop in. Load times were a little long but from what I understand thats universal. I am happy with this digital purchase and thus far have no complaints.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I've been testing both versions. I think the PSN one might be a little worse for fps as well as pop-in but it might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

What I'm curious about is the PSN versiondoesn't have an 8GB install. Is it suffering because of this or should it not matter?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Launch PS3 60 GB - went digital due to BR drive issues

Download worked in first try, but my system crashed right after download (power surge), so it made system restore by itself.

Minor pop-in occurs from time to time (only when driving REALLY fast through the city), but doesn't bother me at all. But I think that R* should be aware of this.

I've got about 20 hours in and I've had two major pop ins, one during the flight school, 2 buildings textures took a second to pop in, then I had one when driving down the street really fast and the road and buildings didn't have a texture for about 2 or 3 seconds, those are the only times that's happened.

Well, Eurogamer gave the PSN version a look:
Streaming issues hit PSN digital version of Grand Theft Auto 5

In our testing we saw contrasts between the disc and digital PS3 releases, where the Blu-ray version has clear advantages that make it the preferred buy.
However, within five minutes of freely coasting around Los Santos' busier Downtown streets there are major instances of geometry bursting into view and textures taking too long to fully resolve. In one case we see an entire skyscraper fizzle in and out of sight, while buildings to either side struggle to update their textures. Our many hours of disc-based testing produced nothing like this.
It must be stressed that pop-in to this level isn't a constant, and only hits in at full force when travelling at breakneck speeds through the busiest streets - and it is largely absent when driving around less built-up areas and almost completely non-existent during on-foot action.

As compared to playing the 360 release with both discs installed to its HDD, the digital PS3 release isn't quite as nefarious with its object draw - but it's enough to take you out of the moment.

Their analysis seems pretty superficial though:
These are just sampled highlights of the issues we found from the first 20 minutes of capturing the game, and there's every chance they'll continue to manifest over the course of the game.
In our experience playing from a newer Western Digital 500GB HDD the results proved less glaring, suggesting faster drives may yield improved performance

banjoted

Does anyone know if the disc version will recognise the saves from the digital game? I realise this is the case in 99% of circumstances.

Great, I was in denial but that Eurogamer article is prettying damning. I'm gonna try to talk to Sony's support staff today and get a refund. I want that retail version now.

Arun1910

40gb (with upgraded standard HDD 5400rpm) phat PS3.

Absolutely no problems with pop-in. I was hesitant like you. But I honest to God had no pop-in like that vid, and I was SPECIFICALLY looking for it. Like, I knew what to look for, and nope. Everything worked fine. When the scenes change, everything was where it was supposed to be.

If you REALLY want me to take a video with my phone, I can do that. But honestly dude. I had no problem.

Exactly the same! I did the same as you and I didn't have that bin pop in or the texture pops like in that Digital Foundary Video.

Also I just want to say, all the pop in on the opening cutscene that digital foundary did for the PSN version here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-why-we-cant-recommend-GTA5-PSN

Did NOT happen in mine at all.

Arun1910

I take it the digital version runs quietly, very little noise?

Haven't noticed noise, or crazy pop in like foundry are saying...

All these PSN faults sound to me like it might be the version of PS3 you have (fat, slim, SS).

If anyones wondering, mine is a Slim 320GB

Haven't noticed noise, or crazy pop in like foundry are saying...

All these PSN faults sound to me like it might be the version of PS3 you have (fat, slim, SS).

If anyones wondering, mine is a Slim 320GB

Yeah, think you're right. My ps3 fat wasn't that loud, but my super slim plus GTAV = crazy reading/seeking sounds with the fan at full speed at times.

Slightly OT, but anyone knows if there are still issues when downloading and installing the game? I haven't downloaded it until this issue is solved.

Btw, thanks for all the impressions here!

Doran902

i get insanely bad pop ups during chase missions or getaway missions where im driving super fast

shit will just dissapear and appear at random, one of them i was on a seadoo and the ground dissapeared and i couldnt move so i was killed and all the surrounding buildings were invisible an djust appeared out of nowhere

its been a smooth as butter game 90 percent of the time but when it breaks it breaks BAD

i have a slim 160 gb that i bought last year

Mikey Jr.

That is odd that some people are getting pop-in and some aren't. I am not getting any noticeable pop-in.

Sure, maybe a garbage can will pop into existence once in a while, but other than that, no problems.

There is probably a correlation between the type of PS3, and your HDD.

edit: What is this rebuild database? I might as well do it just for shits and giggles. Does it take long? What does it delete? My saves? The game?

coughlanio

I have a super slim upgraded with a Hitachi 1TB (it's actually the 1TB model of the Hitachi 500GB drive that came in the PS3)

Only had one instance of pop in, and it was barely noticeable.

oxidax

did anybody have any luck with refunds?
They're making me wait 5 days. I don't think i will get the refund :/
I guess i just lost $60 dollars.

This is what they just told me,

Are they serious? I mean, i know for a FACT that this is NOT gonna work! Seriously!!? " Eject the game disc, while the console is off turn it over and blow out the dust in the vents on the underside(these run along the edges)" WOW! screw this i want a full freaking refund!
I did this and I'm not a happy chappy ffs!

Obviously I couldn't delete the game data because it's not there - the whole 18gb is under my games folder - there is no install element separately.

So, I did everything else and now it's worse :-(

It's not in my imagination, nor a reverse placebo. I know for a fact because I've been out in the hills (within the game) and at an Ammunition place. I'd just upgraded some weapons and went out of the shop and saved it. Now, the reason I know it's now worse is because I've been at this exact save point over 10 times but felt the need to restart/reload this section - this is because every single time I tried to get back to my safehouse, I died/got busted. As I'd robbed the ammunition guy after my initial save, I didn't want to lose the money (every penny counts!) so I felt the need to keep re-doing it.

Before I did R* recommendations, I only saw 2 incidents of major pop-up and nothing of any note (little bits) on the way from this ammunition place>home.

NOW, there is shit loads. From opening the shop door to a combination of the foliage/trees major popping in, to it almost looking like it's kind of glitching the whole mountain. It's so in your face, it's impossible for me to not have seen it before. In fact, I know it wasn't like that before. Then, as I drive back, there are lots and lots of pop-up (many tops of inter-crossing freeways, shadow, foliage on sides) with 3 major parts (barrels/cones pop-in right in front of me after being invisible, 1 huge building and 1 texture of huge building)

Maybe it's my own fault for being greedy because it wasn't that much of an issue before - now it's the pits and I'm gutted.

This should be classed as against our trading standards. A product has been bought in good faith and it's not performing how it should - at a premium price!

What a fucking joke.

What does anyone think if I delete the game and do it all again?

RaikuHebi

Banned
The PSN version is definitely inferior. I've tested different setups for myself. The PSN version has pop-in and fps lags, as well as slightly longer loading times.

The disc version is the way to go. It makes sense that it runs better since it streams data from two sources; 17GB disc and 8GB install. The PSN version is just the 17GB, so it must be uncompressing those 8GBs on the fly. It would probably be slightly better if it had an install but since the only source for both sets of files would be the HDD it wouldn't be as quick as the disc.

If you're on custom firmware then obviously running the disc dump from a USB drive is the ultimate way to play (2 fast sources for the data).

void666

Banned
Slim 120gb here. I have over 10 hours of playtime. Noticed extreme pop in (objects rendering right in front of me) maybe twice so far.

Top Bottom