• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V: PSN Digital Version Impressions - Check-In Thread

nawwafh

80 GB model here with a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 5400RPM 500GB HD. No noticeable pop-in issues so far.. just played around an hour or 2 though..

Deepo

Playing the PSN version on a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb hybrid drive. Haven't noticed any issues with pop in.

However, I've borrowed the 360 version from a friend, and running that from HDD+USB drive side by side with the PS3 PSN version is interesting. There seems to be a lot more than a 2 FPS gap between the two at most times. 360 seems to play a lot better for me.

-griffy-

Banned
I think I'm going to try and get refunded for my PSN version and pick up a disc copy. Can't be bothered to spend money and go through the trouble of upgrading my HDD when I'm getting a PS4 just shy of two months from now.

oxidax

I think I'm going to try and get refunded for my PSN version and pick up a disc copy. Can't be bothered to spend money and go through the trouble of upgrading my HDD when I'm getting a PS4 just shy of two months from now.

Good luck with that. They wont completely return the money to you. It'll stay in the "wallet" for a future purchase. I just spoke to them today and i was told to wait 5 days for a 'possible' refund. Thought every sale is final. Bullshit bullshit and more bullshit. I can't believe that i am going to have to double dip for this.

Nags

Banned
Experienced some pop in on the freeway near the Pier. Pretty much the whole ground texture became transparent. Only issue I have seen though running on a super slim 500gb stock hdd.

In all honesty in a game this ambitious on such dated hardware, I doubt anyone wouldn't see the same thing at least once even on the disc version.

Had some brief pop-in issues after completing Trevor's first plane mission. As I panned the camera around, whole mountains started loading in. They didn't disappear though, and I haven't encountered this problem again.

-griffy-

Banned
Good luck with that. They wont completely return the money to you. It'll stay in the "wallet" for a future purchase. I just spoke to them today and i was told to wait 5 days for a 'possible' refund. Thought every sale is final. Bullshit bullshit and more bullshit. I can't believe that i am going to have to double dip for this.

If I don't get anywhere with them then I might dispute it with my credit card company.

They shouldn't be able to get away with it.

Regardless of each persons severity (it would appear it's different on different ps3's etc), this is not acceptable.

Who is to say it's not gonna get worse over time?

The Eurogamer video is enough evidence for anyone which compares the ps3 disc version to the psn. Mine is not running as bad as that but then again, I haven't been at 'that' part of the map - it's a disgrace.

We should be able to do something. I'm not looking for a game that doesn't have pop-up. I'm looking for the standard that ANY ps3 (no matter what age/type/hdd) can play if they use a disc. I didn't sign up to be arsed.

What can we do? Suggestions anyone?

I'm about to speaking to Sony...

....in the meantime, I'm really curious if there are other games that I've bought off psn that have this 'or other issues I'm not aware of because I don't own the disc'. TLOU has some jarring pop up here and there...

I own the following via digital that are available via disc:
- Siren Blood Curse
- PSASBR
- R&C:QFB
- Wipeout HD
- TLOU
- Journey

oxidax

Why would they do that?

Someone over at Reddit said it and it actually makes sense. If sales are final and u force the money without an actual aproval/return from Sony, they might as well ban you from their stuff. I want a refund too but i want to keep my stuff.
The-Adjudicator
One does not simply get a refund. It says that all sales on the PSN are final, no refunds at all.
And if you pay with a credit card and cancel the transaction, Sony terminates your PSN account.

Reddit: BREAKING: The PSN version has the same problems as the 360 dual disc installed version

Just saw the new Eurogamer DF video.

Jesus christ. I dont know what kind of PS3 they are using but if people are having issues that bad Rockstar / Sony should issue some kind of statement ASAP.

Ether say a patch is coming or offer refunds. Thats what they need to do.

Other then the intro scene my PSN version has been solid. Pop in here and there but just normal stuff you would see in every other open world game and every other video I have seen of the game. I guess it would be a bit better on disc but its nothing game breaking so far. Havent flown yet and I have seen pop in is pretty bad in the air even on the disc so that should be interesting.

This digital release has been a shit show from every single angle.

DJMicLuv

Apart from a little pop in on the intro I haven't seen any more. I think there must be other factors at work here. What's the deal with fragmentation on PS HDD, does it happen?

Robbler

Banned
Playing on a slim with a 1TB HDD that's a little over half full and have had zero issues at all. About 17% completion.

oxidax

Just saw the new Eurogamer DF video.

Jesus christ. I dont know what kind of PS3 they are using but if people are having issues that bad Rockstar / Sony should issue some kind of statement ASAP.

Other then the intro scene my PSN version has been solid. Pop in here and there but just normal stuff you would see in every other open world game and every other video I have seen of the game. I guess it would be a bit better on disc but its nothing game breaking so far. Havent flown yet and I have seen pop in is pretty bad in the air even on the disc so that should be interesting.

This digital release has been a shit show from every single angle.

The problem is that we are being ignored. Websites like IGN, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry, Videogamer, gamefaqs and even Huffington Post are reporting this issue and do we even have a word from Sony or R*? NO.
R* techs gave me a shitty answer, they are ignoring the issue on twitter and Sony is not helping. We gonna have to eat it, you'll see. Im no dev but i dont see how they would patch this unless they let us split the game files so we could leave the Data in the HDD and move the game files to an external USB.

MWake

Neo Member
Playing the PSN version on a Seagate Momentus XT 750gb hybrid drive. Haven't noticed any issues with pop in.

However, I've borrowed the 360 version from a friend, and running that from HDD+USB drive side by side with the PS3 PSN version is interesting. There seems to be a lot more than a 2 FPS gap between the two at most times. 360 seems to play a lot better for me.

Same here. Frame rate does seem better on 360.

Mugatu

The problem is that we are being ignored. Websites like IGN, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry, Videogamer, gamefaqs and even Huffington Post are reporting this issue and do we even have a word from Sony or R*? NO.
R* techs gave me a shitty answer, they are ignoring the issue on twitter and Sony is not helping. We gonna have to eat it, you'll see. Im no dev but i dont see how they would patch this unless they let us split the game files so we could leave the Data in the HDD and move the game files to an external USB.

I realize that this must really suck but I doubt anyone is being ignored, they're just not going to tell the front line support people until they figure out and fix the problem. It sucks but those generic replies do help some people, if not you then you have to wait.

Again, I'm not trying to shut you guys up or anything and you certainly have the right to complain and vent but you have to know that they're not ignoring you. It just takes time to figure this stuff out, they probably got caught with their pants down and I feel it's not going to be a quick fix.

-griffy-

Banned
Someone over at Reddit said it and it actually makes sense. If sales are final and u force the money without an actual aproval/return from Sony, they might as well ban you from their stuff. I want a refund too but i want to keep my stuff.
That makes sense, it's just shitty that this is kind of a broken release, not representative of the same game on disc. If I had any inkling of there being any kind of problem with the PSN version I would have not purchased it. I did so merely out of convenience.

dubq

I honestly doubt refunds will ever be issued since it's such a mixed bag.. some people have problems, some don't. It's just like Skyrim, where the issue obviously exists, but it's not affecting everyone, and therefore they'll just say something along the lines of "bear with us" and wait and see if they patch it. It's really a sad state of affairs that gaming has come to this. I'm hoping that the next-gen consoles will all but eliminate these kinds of performance issues.

DireStr8s

Are the jaggies any less on the 360 by chance?

I got the PSN version - no download/install issues. I've seen maybe 4 things pop in during my 10 or so hours of play. Seems fine. Framerate sucks, but I don't think that's a digital thing.

I have a slim. I replaced the hard drive but I have no idea what model I have. I did rebuild the database like 2 days before getting it - not for the game, just a pleasant coincidence I guess.

Deepo

Are the jaggies any less on the 360 by chance?

I'm finding the IQ a tiny bit cleaner on the 360. After some testing, it seems that has to do with the 360 upscaling to 1080p. The 360 scaler seems to do a better job with it than my TV. Looks about the same as PS3 with the 360 set to 720p. And by NO means are the jaggies gone! :) Both versions are far away from the bullshots.

The PS3 has Full RGB in it's favor though, so it looks a bit richer than the 360 version on my TV. I know I could set the 360 to expanded reference levels, but that doesn't produce an accurate result.

I also for some reason vastly prefer the 360 controller for both this and GTA IV. It just seems that the games are designed with the 360 pad in mind. Just can't get to grips with R2 and L2 in these games.

Thinking of asking for a refund as well. Feels like I've paid premium for an inferior version.

DireStr8s

I'm finding the IQ a tiny bit cleaner on the 360. After some testing, it seems that has to do with the 360 upscaling to 1080p. The 360 scaler seems to do a better job with it than my TV. Looks about the same as PS3 with the 360 set to 720p. And by NO means are the jaggies gone! :) Both versions are far away from the bullshots.

The PS3 has Full RGB in it's favor though, so it looks a bit richer than the 360 version on my TV. I know I could set the 360 to expanded reference levels, but that doesn't produce an accurate result.

I also for some reason vastly prefer the 360 controller for both this and GTA IV. It just seems that the games are designed with the 360 pad in mind. Just can't get to grips with R2 and L2 in these games.

Thinking of asking for a refund as well. Feels like I've paid premium for an inferior version.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. If the difference isn't substantial I might convince myself not to double dip.

robot

Been playing the digital version on a 500gb white super slim - besides the intro issues everyone else noticed, everything has been great.

Once I get it installed on my launch 60gb I'll see how that goes.

Called Sony and requested a refund. I would just rather want this game on disc by now.

Are any of you having a problem with the HUD as well? I just found out today that I'm supposed to have my weapon as well as my cash shown on the top right. Instead I get these 5 random digits on the top right of my screen. Digits only appear when I step into a vehicle as far as I know. I never have seen my selected weapon or cash shown though

M8bdmzh.jpg

KukicAdo

Neo Member
Called Sony and requested a refund. I would just rather want this game on disc by now.

Are any of you having a problem with the HUD as well? I just found out today that I'm supposed to have my weapon as well as my cash shown on the top right. Instead I get these 5 random digits on the top right of my screen. Digits only appear when I step into a vehicle as far as I know. I never have seen my selected weapon or cash shown though

M8bdmzh.jpg

The 5 digits is your ammo count for the selected weapon. first 3 digits is total ammo, last 2 current clip.

Your weapon does not display on the Hud anymore, press and hold L1 to see currently selected weapon.

The reason it shows up when in the car is because some weapons you can shoot while driving.

no bug there.

So they sent me an email saying I would be refunded within 1-2 days. I guess if any of you are unhappy with the game's performance on your console, give them a call.

I'm running a 160 GB PlayStation 3 Slim (the second PS3 iteration, not the most recent one with the ridges) that I bought in December (w/stock HDD). I just did the mission where
Trevor is planting sticky bombs on the biker gang's trailers
and the
trailers
were just invisible, they never even appeared once during the whole mission. Like I would place a
sticky bomb
in mid-air over and over again. Makes me wish I bought the disc version instead.

d00d3n

I followed this procedure: (on a 250 gb original hard drive PS3 slim)

1. Deleted all unnecessary save files (had extremely many copies in some games like gow and ffxiii), game data files and games

2. Booted into recovery mode and ran rebuild database and restore filesystem

The pop in seems to have improved after this. It is still visible, but the objects that pop in are so small and far away that it feels acceptable.

In hindsight, this "fix" only marginally improved the pop in. I was playing during in-game nighttime, where pop in and aliasing is less noticeable overall, and made a bad judgement call, possibly influenced by a dose of "wanting it to be true". I apologize to anyone who wasted their time on the fix.

I hesitate to give further advice to people considering my mistake, but ...

Backing up all the data on an external hard drive, restoring the ps3 to factory settings and restoring the ps3 to the backed up state did not improve the pop in at all, in my opinion.

Replacing the 250Gb original hard drive with a 256Gb SanDisk ultra ssd did improve the pop in, in my opinion.

Deleting the GTAV installation (which I preloaded) and downloading the installation files again from PSN did improve the pop in, in my opinion. I experienced an improvement here in addition to the ssd related improvement.

I am sorry for the lack of details, but trying to quantify the pop in without proper equipment will almost certainly be biased and deceptive. Reinstalling the game is obviously free, so why not try that if you have the time, but I understand that not many people will buy an ssd for this.

Man this sucks, sorry to see so many people having problems with PSN version. This reminds me a lot about the Skyrim issues. Where some people were uploading videos showing their game grinding to a hault and others saying they had no issues even with the same save file size. Even though I have an SSD in my Slim from my GT5 days, I am getting the retail disk just to be sure.

Oni Jazar

I have noticed very few issues with the launch 60GB drive but I did have a spare 80GB SSD so I swapped to that. Haven't noticed any pop-in but I haven't been going super speed. Now I'm wondering if disc + SSD will be even better.

It's crazy how random it is. Like I mentioned before the first time the intro ran perfectly but the second time there was mad pop-ins (stock 60GB).

Top Bottom