• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V redux (pc mod) is out now and I said wow!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Why did he make all the roads look like week-old fresh-laid asphalt? That's not what the roads look like in Los Angeles at all. The vanilla versions are much more realistic.

Why did he make all the roads look like week-old fresh-laid asphalt? That's not what the roads look like in Los Angeles at all. The vanilla versions are much more realistic.

Because people have some weird notion that everything looking brand new = good graphics.

Roads are pristine, cars are mirrors, advertisements don't have a single scratch, etc.

I agree that he should have credited them, but my point is this is going to happen in the hobbyist modding scene. Modding is supposed to be done for fun and giving to the community, not for money or recognition. If people are so butthurt that their work might get "copied" then they shouldn't publish it online and quit modding altogether.

Let's also not forget that in most cases mods simply alter the files and parameters of copyrighted games, so it gets a bit out of hand when modders try to claim who did the original work, because in both cases Rockstar did.
Really now, trying to act like the original mod authors are in fact doing the same thing to Rockstar? What utter bullshit. Seriously, your arguments are pathetic and desperate at this point. Onto the ignore list you go.

Because people have some weird notion that everything looking brand new = good graphics.

Roads are pristine, cars are mirrors, advertisements don't have a single scratch, etc.

You should see half the mods out there that claim to add "HD textures".

There's a much better road texture mod that have textures actually ripped from LA roads using Google street view.

https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/l-a-roads-8ae63c30-de64-4f16-8f3d-40c9e6d16212

You don't really notice how much better it looks until you see it in motion though, the way the gritty asphalt blurs together gives a greater sense of speed.

Looks like they have fixed the handling a bit, as OG GTAV ruined car handling by having almost no drifting at all. GTAIV's driving was so much better in that regard.

4jjiyoon

everything seemed to install correctly but i can't get into graphics menu, it just crashes.

looks alright though. maxed out with the default reshade hangs around 45fps on a 970.

gta5_2016_09_19_20_16g7qk1.jpg

That trailer is pure trash-tier. I nearly cringed myself half to death.

Why would I want real-world ads in GTA? That's even more stupid IMO than real-world cars. Part of what makes GTA for me is that it's all made up.

Composer

yeah the funny things with mods is that the vanilla games always look yellowish in comparaison ? any explanation for that ?

I haven't seen a lot of the footage, but if I had to guess the original likely has proper color saturation and a more calibrated color spectrum/white balance. For example, people who use the 'Cool' setting on their TV/Monitor's think they are getting a more accurate white/color on screen, but the Warm setting is actually closer to true white. The warm often looks 'yellow'ish, especially for the first day or two.

Anth0ny

the saddest thing is if I make a shortcut of GTA V on my computer (one clean, one modded) that's going to take up like 100+GB

I have a 256GB SSD ; _ ;

Not for me personally. I like the stylized look of GTA V and the way the cars control. I felt the same way with the ENB mods for GTA IV. Great for the screenshot folks though.

Also, what were they thinking with the real world ads? I feel like that pulls the player out of the game world more than immersing them in it.

Honestly, I don't like how they've changed the colours. It's less stylized, overly saturated and like they just cranked everything up without seeing if it works first, and sometimes a lot harder to see what's on the screen than the vanilla version.

Maxios

Random thoughts after playing around with this mod for a couple hours:

• The new Euphoria improvements are actually really nice. They're the best part of the mod.
  • Everyone seems to soak up a lot more damage now. Fistfights more exciting (it actually takes more than three or four hits to down someone!), but gunfights tend to drag on more than in the vanilla game.
  • The new car handling is a bit odd. Some cars don't seem to have had their handling tweaked at all while others feel like GTA IV-style boats. Car damage is more in line with IV than V, which I appreciate.
  • The real life ads are terrible. It clashes with the game's style, and all the ones that attempt to be comedic are horribly unfunny. I can't understand why the modder thought including them was a good idea.
  • I don't like the complete removal of color grading. I actually liked how the screen would tint when your character's special ability was active, and having it gone just kinda removes the oomph for me. It'd be like entering bullet time in Max Payne without that sound playing.
  • The default Redux ENB is a hit and a miss. Rarely it looks gorgeous (photorealistic even), but most of the time it's an oversaturated mess. Blaine County turns pitch black at night, making car chases harder and adding an overall creepy feeling to the woods and mountains.
  • The new sound effects are all excellent. They add a lot more oomph to gunfights.

laxu

God that looks like shit. Why do so many people who get their hands on ReShade have to do that oversaturated and crushed shit. They also usually make nighttime impossible to play because it's so dark.

Also could the OP be updated to tell people NOT to install this mod because it is composed of content ripped from other modders?

Holy shit that's embarrassing.

Some scenes have a 70FPS loss just for a shitty contrast filter that looks worse than the original game. "Possible 10-15 loss" my ass, that's like an entire game's worth of FPS lower than the stock game.

With performance issues like this and the obvious plagarism going on he really just needs to just take the mod down, or at least stop taking donations for others' work.

knerl

Yeah the over-sharpened image and the aliasing the follows everywhere is hideous. Tried the 'redux original', 'dark and realistic' and 'redux ultra' reshade presets.

The physics, AI and the damage models are pretty neat though. Even if the damage models are far too easy to trigger.

ryuken-d

I just finished going through the whole installation process and I start GTAV and it starts downloading 65GB.... I know the install guide said I would need 70GB but I figured it was for the vanilla game plus the Redux. No way, it was for another 65GB +. Just a warning to anyone who thought what I did. I'm going through with it anyway but shit that's a lot of GBs for one game. 130GB minimum.

Anth0ny

I just finished going through the whole installation process and I start GTAV and it starts downloading 65GB.... I know the install guide said I would need 70GB but I figured it was for the vanilla game plus the Redux. No way, it was for another 65GB +. Just a warning to anyone who thought what I did. I'm going through with it anyway but shit that's a lot of GBs for one game. 130GB minimum.

yeah that's the most annoying thing about GTA modding for me. I ain't got space for this shit.

and that comes from someone who literally plays GTA V every single day ._.

Top Bottom