• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

harSon

Banned
My friend told me he exchanged his copy for another last night because of freezing, not sure if he has it working right now. We both have launch 60gb Playstation 3s so I guess I'll try his copy on mine as well.

Dunlop

urge26 said:
I'm glad there's a dedicated thread to this (sarcasm). But anyways, don't we hear this with every new title released?

why would you not want a dedicated thread about this?

Now you guys are making me paranoid about picking up a copy for my launch 60gig PS3. Although I've never had any problems with my unit. I still think it's a better option than the potential RRoD that my 360 is unquestionably going to give me with the hours upon hours I'll spend with the game.

MoxManiac

Man, this sounds horrible. I wonder if Rockstar might have to issue a recall if this is really widespread?

EDIT: actually they could just patch it if it's a software issue, maybe?

Teddman said:
Does it happen more to those who have upgraded their hard drives? I know Marty installed a new hard drive in his PS3 not long ago.

From other threads I've seen, upgrading didn't make a difference but I'd like to know if others here who have seen the problem have upgraded too. I know Argyle did and he's got the problem.

harSon

Banned
Superblatt said:
Now you guys are making me paranoid about picking up a copy for my launch 60gig PS3. Although I've never had any problems with my unit. I still think it's a better option than the potential RRoD that my 360 is unquestionably going to give me with the hours upon hours I'll spend with the game.

From what my friend told me, he couldn't play more then a few minutes without his game freezing. Apparently the farthest he got was a minute or so after the intro.

harSon said:
From what my friend told me, he couldn't play more then a few minutes without his game freezing. Apparently the farthest he got was a minute or so after the intro.

The question I have is if this is affecting ALL US 60gig owners, or just a small portion?

Marty Chinn said:
From other threads I've seen, upgrading didn't make a difference but I'd like to know if others here who have seen the problem have upgraded too. I know Argyle did and he's got the problem.

I haven't upgraded my HD and it's happening to me.

Firewire

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

My buddy upgraded to a 250GB, he's played about 8hrs on a 60GB launch unit, with no problems.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Two freezes for me so far, 2 and a half hours of play time. I have a launch 60GB PS3. Very aggravating.

Evlar

Banned
Superblatt said:
The question I have is if this is affecting ALL US 60gig owners, or just a small portion?
Small portion, judging by the responses in the previously locked thread. There were four reports from PS3 owners on the board that they had the problem and several times that number reporting they had no problem.

I am a US 60Gb PS3 owner, I have the game, and I do not have the freezing-on-intro problem.

I'd like to know how many GAF members that have launch units that HAVEN'T had issues. That would be a comfort before I go out and actually buy the game...

Superblatt said:

It doesn't sound like it's all 60 gig units but at the same time it's not like it's only launch units. There's no consistant factor here on which ones so far.

harSon

Banned
Superblatt said:

I'll let you know after class, I'm personally buying GTA4 for the 360 but I have a launch 60gb to test my friends game on.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
1 freeze on 360 premium - was driving around - ambient sound and music were still playing

also had an "unplayable disc" show up on the dashboard when i first put the game in, but i haven't had anything since the first early freeze

(canada/region 1)

Baker

Banned
Does anyone know how Gamestop would handle returns for this problem?

Could you swap it out for the 360 version or is that asking too much?

Brofist

Superblatt said:

this was posted already earlier

Rockstar has said you should erase your game data and reinstall Grand Theft Auto IV if your PS3 freezes during gameplay.

The US PlayStation forums picked up on the issue and linked the problem with 60GB launch models of the console.

One commenter called the technical support lines and followed the steps above and has had no problems since.

This problem seems to be far from common, with only a tiny portion of the Internet reporting issues; the official European PlayStation forums make no visible mention of it.

Have you been having issues, Eurogamer reader?

Tieno

Could people also please state where they're from? North-America, Europe, Japan, ...?

Comforted a bit that it doesn't seem to have hit PAL consoles.

Chumly

So my roomate just got back from best buy and it kept freezing during the intro. He got pissed so hes going back to get another disk. Ill post later if getting a new disk works.

(60 gig PS3 north america)

My6cats said:
it's only the the 60 gig abit PS3 that have problems with GTA4? This means the 40 gig's work fine , right?

20gig too.

also, I wonder if this is a software problem? Would getting a new disc possibly fix this or could this be a hardware issue? Goddamnit!

I also bought mine from Best Buy.

depward

TheMissingLink said:
Tried to buy a hat at the store, and it locked up.

But it was weird, the music still played (didn't loop, or stutter), and I couldn't do ANYTHING (PS button didn't work) - had to turn it completely off.

I am scared to play this on my 60 gig now. I'm actually getting some random shut-downs when folding now... sooo yeaaaah...

Bebpo

Banned
:(
This sounds pretty bad. Way too many forum regulars are having freezes.

Maybe I won't buy the game until they fix this.

Superblatt said:

The same thing could unfortunately - according to R*star - happen on the 360. I don't think you are allowed to feel safe - sadly.

Loudninja

He said the problem is not across the board for the 60GB PS3s but rather only impacts some, so their tech folks are working around the clock to try and figure out what is causing the issue.

He did ask me to make sure that my harddrive wasn't full and that I had the latest firmware update, but confessed that that really isn't what's causing most of the problem. He also said that the Xbox 360 is having the "exact same problem," which has further stumped their tech folks.

http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-support-no-gta-freeze-fix-in-sight

Hopefully very soon.

Baker

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
also, I wonder if this is a software problem? Would getting a new disc possibly fix this or could this be a hardware issue? Goddamnit!

The OP says "- Trying the same disc on another model often results in it working."

Argyle

Yeah, I think if this was totally widespread (as in the majority of 60GBs have the problem) then it wouldn't have passed cert, but if the problem happens to you, there's pretty much no way to get around it - the best I was able to do was skip the cinematic and drive a few hundred yards before it locked up :(

So I wouldn't let it keep me from buying the PS3 version, but be aware that if you have a launch era 60GB machine you might have problems. Hopefully it's a bad batch of discs but I suspect we may have to wait for a patch :(

As for me, I am going to stop by Best Buy on my way to work and exchange my disc. I have access to a few other machines at work so I can at least see if my new copy runs on those...

Firewire

Banned
The fact that its happening to various PS3's and to 360's as well, would point to bad disc's I think. Maybe thats why R* can't find the problem either, its only happening because of bad discs?

Evlar

Banned
Baker said:
The OP says "- Trying the same disc on another model often results in it working."
That doesn't eliminate the possibility it's a bad disc pressing. Like a scratched CD some players may be able to retrieve data despite moderate damage while a similar player tosses up disc read errors.

Baker said:

Hmm, this leads me to believe it's the hardware, then. If the same disc works on other models, then most likely, the 60 gig model is at fault here.

I don't necessarily think there's a particular SKU problem (PS3/360), but more of a general software problem. Giving the large number of 60 Gb systems in the install base, it's not really a surprise that these are the first to pop up.

Divine retribution for all the GTA fanboy threads. This is what happens when you wish ill will on fellow gamers.
Sorry to non-rabid GAFers. Hope they fix it soon!

Firewire said:
The fact that its happening to various PS3's and to 360's as well, would point to bad disc's I think. Maybe thats why R* can't find the problem either, its only happening because of bad discs?

Would be weird too, because one is using DVD and the other is using Blu-ray.

Firewire

Banned
Superblatt said:
So, in other words, you're just as likely to get screwed with either version of the game?

Sounds about right, also this isn't limited to the 60GB on PS3's either as "TheJollyCorner" is having the problem on a 20GB unit. Going by other forums its happened on Premium and Elite 360's as well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dallow_bg said:
Any reason why my original thread on this problem was locked?

No idea why sonycowboy would lock it. Rest assured that this one is staying open though.

Tieno

Firewire said:
Sounds about right, also this isn't limited to the 60GB on PS3's either as "TheJollyCorner" is having the problem on a 20GB unit. Going by other forums its happened on Premium and Elite 360's as well.
There have been freezing problems popping up with every big release on the 360 (Gears, Halo, etc), with PS3 it seems more specific/peculiar.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hmm, was going to go in at lunch time to pick up my PS3 version (got my 360 version through other means at work yesterday).

Guess I'll hold off until further notice.

Argyle

FWIW

NA regular edition of the game
NA launch day 60GB PS3 upgraded to 250GB
I can check my serial # tonight (sorry too lazy, but I do have the box handy) to determine mfg date and possible factory of origin
A/V through HDMI
7.1LPCM to Denon receiver
HDMI video switched through receiver into a Panasonic projector
JP DualShock3 over Bluetooth
Wired ethernet, uPnP router (DD-WRT)

Off to exchange my disc. Wish me luck!

Top Bottom