• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

sp0rsk said:
Normal people will probably see that as buying an incomplete game.

That's never been an issue with other 360 games so why would it magically occur for GTA? The game gets so much media attention that by the time the game comes out everyone will know what's offered, and make their decision. Personally I think they'll choose the 360 version in droves due to the price

dfyb

Banned
Merovingian said:
?

The episodes will be on discs themselfs. Like Half Life 2...they are selling Episodes.

What happens is that, people will simply buy more GTA, and when they find there's more GTA on the 360.... that will become another bullet point for people to buy a 360.
what makes you think they'll release it on discs...? shivering isles was download-only for 360, right?

Ploid 3.0 said:
I haven't finished GTA:SA yet. Mainly due to a memory card glitch with a demo that made me start over. I got to vegas and started over again when I got ps3. Still having a ball. They just need to take care of the core game and everyone will be happy. Even the 360core xbox people that cant get the downloads.

It's not about the content itself, it's about the stamp on the box. Same as Guitar Hero II. Walk into a store, one box is going to have nothing, one box is going to have "Exclusive Downloadable Content". 90% of the people who buy it (I think that's how the GHII download numbers worked out) probably won't even buy that stuff, but it just gives MS a visual advantage at the Point Of Sale.

I kind of doubt it will hinder 360 sales of the game. The 360 version of GHII is still in the top ten, selling fine, with no perception of users buying a gimped version only to plumped up by DLC.

I figure most people will see the word Exclusive and swing towards the 360 version just so they know they won't be missing out on anything, even if they never touch the DLC.

sp0rsk said:
totally depends on how well it is advertised, if the retail version comes out, it will be on the 360 only. People will see it as a new game... how well did the ps2 versions of the psp games sell?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Scottlarock said:
totally depends on how well it is advertised, if the retail version comes out, it will be on the 360 only. People will see it as a new game... how well did the ps2 versions of the psp games sell?

Like poopsicles.

sprsk

PhoenixDark said:
That's never been an issue with other 360 games so why would it magically occur for GTA? The game gets so much media attention that by the time the game comes out everyone will know what's offered, and make their decision. Personally I think they'll choose the 360 version in droves due to the price

Because additional content isn't usually advertised. On top of that most of the people who buy GTA aren't the hardcore xbox fans.

I'm willing to bet this will be the worst selling GTA simply because it's on Next-gen systems.

I bet Halo 3 outsells GTA. I wonder if 360 fans are even that excited for GTA.

dfyb said:
what makes you think they'll release it on discs...? shivering isles was download-only for 360, right?

What makes me think is MS banking alot of money on this. Only makes sense for it to also come on discs.

Merovingian said:
Makes me think because MS is banking alot of money on this. Only makes sense for it to also come on discs.

they might also be banking on it being a huge coup for Xbox Live, and forcing people to use the service.

sp0rsk said:
1) Because additional content isn't usually advertised. On top of that most of the people who buy GTA aren't the hardcore xbox fans.

2) I'm willing to bet this will be the worst selling GTA simply because it's on Next-gen systems.

3) I bet Halo 3 outsells GTA. I wonder if 360 fans are even that excited for GTA.

1) GHII advertises it right on the box, and it's been in every GHII 360 ad I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised if MS ponied of the cash for some MicroMachines guy to say "360VersionIncludesExclusiveDownloadableContent" at the end of the commercial. If the commercial ends with "Jump In", well, I can't remember, did the other GTA commercials end with the PS logo?

2) I agree with that, absolutely.

3) It might outsell GTA but I think a LOT of people are excited for GTA, considering how crazy the internet went for the trailers and how nuts it goes for any and all new magazine article details. I think GAMERS are psyched for GTA, 360 owners or whoever.

sp0rsk said:
Because additional content isn't usually advertised. On top of that most of the people who buy GTA aren't the hardcore xbox fans.

I'm willing to bet this will be the worst selling GTA simply because it's on Next-gen systems.

No shit...Yeah i wonder....

Ninja Scooter said:
they might also be banking on it being a huge coup for Xbox Live, and forcing people to use the service.

Sure. But i don't see the point. You don't have to be gold member to buy shit from live, and many people won't have their consoles online enabled so, i think they will leverage this more as a system seller than a Xbox live Seller.

sprsk

BenjaminBirdie said:
3) It might outsell GTA but I think a LOT of people are excited for GTA, considering how crazy the internet went for the trailers and how nuts it goes for any and all new magazine article details. I think GAMERS are psyched for GTA, 360 owners or whoever.

I dunno, I think a lot of that excitement is just system wars posturing.

Merovingian said:
Sure. But i don't see the point. You don't have to be gold member to buy shit from live, and many people won't have their consoles online enabled so, i think they will leverage this more as a system seller than a Xbox live Seller.

yeah but it gets people online and downloading content, which is what MS wants. If they can get a few thousands Live noobs online just for GTA, who knows maybe those people will buy an picture pack or an XBLA game or two while they're there.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
halo is going to decimate GTAIV sales because of a couple reasons:

1) 2 versions of the game on the same day = split sales

2) even when you combine them it won't be as much as Halo 3 since...well, its Halo 3.

3) even though its technically available to more people than Halo 3, the larger userbase (xbox360) has not been pining for GTAIV every single day since the end of Halo 2.

but i think GTAIV will have longer legs than Halo 3 -- meaning it'll keep selling at a higher rate for longer relative to Halo 3 which will have its load bursted in the beginning

FrankT

Also, the masses are most likely going to look at the content and see it as a net positive as well. They will get the version that costs them the least amount money while at the same time many will say this content will be an option that will be there at the end of the day for them. Ultimately, they get the full game for cheaper and get to look forward to extended content if they so choose. Choice is a wonderful thing.

bud said:

Hey, I didn't say it WILL.

:)

And also, I really don't think GTA excitement is just system wars posturing. It's a multiplatform game. There's no way that just System Wars interest would crash a website.

At least, I don't think so.

sp0rsk said:

I still fail to see how that will "damage" the 360 version; if anything's going to damage the game's sells it'll be the PS3's price. It's going to outsell the PS3 version by default, just as Halo 3 will outsell GTAIV on the 360 (that's not a slight on the PS3, the 360 simply has the larger userbase). Many GTA fans definitely aren't xbots, but I would expect many to jump in this holiday season due to the price, and I'd bet the numbers will reflect that.

Will it be the worse selling GTA? Of course, once again due to use bases. The 360 has a 10 million + userbase but not all of those people will buy the game, just as the 90 million + PS2 users didn't all buy the previous GTA games. I think the game is going to have a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl effect; while the DS was definitely a success even before Pokemon's arrival, that game ensured that the GBA crowd would migrate to the DS. I think GTA is going to cause a similar effect with many casual PS2 fans who clearly haven't bought the 360 or PS3 yet.

sp0rsk said:

xbox fans got the gta games 6 months to a year late, were there gta fans on playstation 1? and halo 3 will outsell gta, but halo selling 4-5 million and gta 360 selling 2-3 million bad somehow?

davepoobond said:
halo is going to decimate GTAIV sales because of a couple reasons:

1) 2 versions of the game on the same day = split sales

3 actually. One of them twice the price of the other. (Ouch, that smarts when you type it up like that. :lol )

Scottlarock said:
xbox fans got the gta games 6 months to a year late, were there gta fans on playstation 1? and halo 3 will outsell gta, but halo selling 4-5 million and gta 360 selling 2-3 million bad somehow?

I would honestly surmise that maybe fourteen Xbox users did not also have a PS2, and got GTA: SA on Day One. I know I did.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I would honestly surmise that maybe fourteen Xbox users did not also have a PS2, and got GTA: SA on Day One. I know I did.
I was a teamxbox junkie back then, xbots wanted this game like crazy. I bought a ps2 for this game, I was not alone.

edit: talking about GTA III not GTA:SA

For $50M, I am sure that Rockstar not only agreed that the 2 episodes would always be 360 exclusive, but that they also wouldn't create any exclusive episodes for PS3 either (even if different from the 360 ones).

I'd be surprised if MS didn't make sure that PS3 would get nothing further from Rockstar in terms of GTA IV. $50M will buy you that sort of exclusivity.

szaromir

Banned
Maxwell House said:
For $50M, I am sure that Rockstar not only agreed that the 2 episodes would always be 360 exclusive, but that they also wouldn't create any exclusive episodes for PS3 either (even if different from the 360 ones).

I'd be surprised if MS didn't make sure that PS3 would get nothing further from Rockstar in terms of GTA IV. $50M will buy you that sort of exclusivity.
Except it didn't I think. Peter Moore was asked once about any DLC for GTA4 appearing on PS3 and he answeed it's up to Sony. I might look for that interview if quote is needed.

edit:actually I found that interview and Moore didn't necessarily mean that there isn't any deal between MS and R* that would eclude DLC on PS3, but he answered the way to show Live's superiority

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
$50 million for 'episodes'? when was this negotiated? if it was before e3 06, when no one knew ps3 would be a $600 disaster, i'm thinking that money had more to do with securing a simultaneous 360 release than with the exclusive content

soco

sp0rsk said:

just out of curiousity, why would you say that? GTA3 was released in under a year of the PS2 US launch and still sold really well.

drohne said:
$50 million for 'episodes'? when was this negotiated? if it was before e3 06, when no one knew ps3 would be a $600 disaster, i'm thinking that money had more to do with securing a simultaneous 360 release than with the exclusive content
it is one less selling point for the PS3, can you imagine if the PS3 had it exclusive and no comment came from taketwo for six months until the 360 release? PS3 fans would have it listed with the other games they have listed for winter, and it being the biggest greatest reason to get a ps3. 360 fans not only get it same time ( a first!) but exclusive content too.

Tobor

sp0rsk said:
I dunno, I think a lot of that excitement is just system wars posturing.

Yeah, system wars posturing didn't crash the internet when the teaser was released. This game is still a big deal.

I agree it could undersell compared to San Andreas. That's definitely a possibility.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
bud said:

At first I was going to say that it could be truly possible, considering that GTA is on 2 expensive next gen. machines. Then I realized Halo 3 is also on an expensive next gen. machine.

If you are really hardcore you have to get all the systems this gen so this is really no big deal.

Vice City sold 13 million copies so if I were publishing IV I'd want way more than $50 million to consider making the entire game exclusive.

Halo 3 definitely has a good chance of outselling IV given current PS3 sales.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
sp0rsk said:

Like I said I'm 100% sure they took Staten Island out of the game to make it downloadable content when they realized MS was willing to pay enough to get real additional content, and they built it from that.

And no Halo will never outsell GTA.

Striker

davepoobond said:
but i think GTAIV will have longer legs than Halo 3 -- meaning it'll keep selling at a higher rate for longer relative to Halo 3 which will have its load bursted in the beginning
Halo 2 is still widely played.

With DLC and the 360 userbase rising, Halo 3 all but will as well.

SPEA

Ether_Snake said:
Like I said I'm 100% sure they took Staten Island out of the game to make it downloadable content when they realized MS was willing to pay enough to get real additional content, and they built it from that.

And no Halo will never outsell GTA.
You're 100% sure? Really?

dfyb

Banned
Merovingian said:
What makes me think is MS banking alot of money on this. Only makes sense for it to also come on discs.
you don't really think things through, do you? i'm saying it might be impossible to have it on discs. how do you have episodic GTAIV content on a disc? GTAIV is on the original GTAIV disc, which would be unaccessible if you have a GTAIV episodic content disc in your drive. and if they did put the entire game + extra content on the same disc (assuming it would fit on a DVD), people could just wait for that.

edit: if MS really wanted to put the episodic content on store shelves, i guess they could do a card similar to the XBL cards. you go plug in the serial and start downloading it. for people without credit cards i guess.

It won't appear on disc until it is a combined GOTY release or something of that nature. Even if you said 'HDD Required' and had an install, putting it on disc doesn't work well because people would share the discs. I have friends who mailed an OXM disc around just so that they could all install the 'Chapter 2' content for GRAW.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
dfyb said:
you don't really think things through, do you? i'm saying it might be impossible to have it on discs. how do you have episodic GTAIV content on a disc? GTAIV is on the original GTAIV disc, which would be unaccessible if you have a GTAIV episodic content disc in your drive. and if they did put the entire game + extra content on the same disc (assuming it would fit on a DVD), people could just wait for that.
they could just put it on a blu-ray di... oh wait.

Tobor

dfyb said:

You could load the disc onto the hard drive(no cores allowed).

So do I buy GTAIV for my cool and quiet and BRD-may-be-nice-for-moar-dataz PS3 - sans extra content, or my hot and loud-as-a-tractor-and-might-red ring-at-any-moment 360 - with extra content?

Decisions, decisions...

dfyb

Banned
Tobor said:
You could load the disc onto the hard drive(no cores allowed).
that's even more "out there" than my GTAIVcard idea. that's more manufacturing and materials -- and all for a throwaway disc. and it has the problems mentioned in beermonkey's post below.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It won't appear on disc until it is a combined GOTY release or something of that nature. Even if you said 'HDD Required' and had an install, putting it on disc doesn't work well because people would share the discs. I have friends who mailed an OXM disc around just so that they could all install the 'Chapter 2' content for GRAW.
i have a feeling GTAIV is going to be squeezing into a DVD. unless the episodic content is just extra missions or something that don't add any more art assets or acreage, there's a good chance that GTAIV + episodes will not fit on the disc.

captive said:
they could just put it on a blu-ray di... oh wait.

I don't know why anybody thinks that MS would be that eager to have it on a disc anyway. Sure, it's a larger customer base, but then it isn't a selling point for Live, where even 'Silver' accounts can make them big money through other microtransactions. It is in Microsoft's best interest to make Live a very strong draw, and this will help. This thing will get people to make sure they hook their systems up to the 'net. Some will even buy the official $99 wireless adapter, I bet the profits are real nice on those. :lol

Tobor

dfyb said:
that's even more "out there" than my GTAIVcard idea. that's more manufacturing and materials -- and all for a throwaway disc. and it has the problems mentioned in beermonkey's post below.

i have a feeling GTAIV is going to be squeezing into a DVD. unless the episodic content is just extra missions or something that don't add any more art assets or acreage, there's a good chance that GTAIV + episodes will not fit on the disc.

I agree it's not wise, I was just illustrating it's technically possible. I would assume it will be online only at first, then combined much later for retail. Doesn't affect me, as I will download it.

Safe Bet

Banned
I hope everyone understands the money MS paid for the exclusive rights to this content will be coming from our wallets eventually...

Top Bottom