• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Tieno

Norml said:
I beleive they will be the same because PS3 version is downgraded, he prayed for no DVD.
That might be the case too. But the 360 seems to be the lead platform though. But since it's multiplatform it's safe to assume both versions will be downgraded in different parts.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
68hi7hi.jpg

Orlics

Norml said:
I beleive they will be the same because PS3 version is downgraded, he prayed for no DVD.

Next-gen consoles can decompress data much better than last-gen ones can, and I believe audio compression has advanced since then.

calder

Merovingian said:
Do it. I'm slow.
Hang on!

- MS gave a lot of money to R* for the game. They get exclusivity for episodic DLC and... not much else it seems.
- Both version are said to be identical
- We've all seen reports where lack of a HDD, a 360 only issue, is cited as a bit of a hindrance
- PS3 owners could be forgiven for wondering if any theoretical improvements or platform specific benefits the game might have had on PS3 would be ignored in order to ensure both versions are graphically a wash.
- Great news for Xbox 360 fans if confirmed.

Really, nothing too terribly complex, confusing or outrageous I think. Certainly not enough to warrant your "omg lolz" response. *shrug*

Nolan.

I don't mind as long as it doesn't directly link into the games main story if it does then I think thats slightly shifty.

Tobor

calder said:
Hang on!

- MS gave a lot of money to R* for the game. They get exclusivity for episodic DLC and... not much else it seems.
- We've all seen reports where lack of a HDD, a 360 only issue, is cited as a bit of a hindrance
- PS3 owners could be forgiven for wondering if any theoretical improvements or platform specific benefits the game might have had on PS3 would be ignored in order to ensure both versions are graphically a wash.

Really, nothing too terribly complex, confusing or outrageous I think. Certainly not enough to warrant your "omg lolz" response. *shrug*

Those are great theories, but I like to deal in facts. Like the fact that the PS3 version won't be getting all the GTA4 content.

Borys said:
If 360 great Xbox for confirmed fans.

News.

_40068259_morris_203.jpg

calder said:

Those reports stemmed from an interview where Houser also mentioned that BOTH systems had problems they had to work around. Unfortunately the journalist asking the question decided it was not worth following up on for some reason, being from a Playstation focused magazine is probably the reason why.

I wonder if Microsoft will market the 360 GTA IV as the only one to have this content.

I would imagine that they would make a huge deal out of this.

Steroyd

Shamrock said:
Besides Sony didn't make GTA what it is. GTA auto did more to make Sony what it was.

Why?

Like Halo on the Xbox has shown GTA is only part of the puzzle.

It's like saying Nintendogs made what the DS is today, It's not, it was a part of a range of things to happen to the system to make it successful.

One franchise can't make a platform dominant.

calder said:
Hang on!

I didn't have omg in my post.

And...huh, ok, the HDD thing, sure it's an hindrance for streaming, but from the demo they showed, things were going fine, no pop up no nothing, don't forget that the Ps3 version has to use the HDD since the drive is slower than the 360 one. So, ok i don't see how the Ps3 version would be affected by the 360 version.

Well, regarding system power, you won't get an argument from me, fanboys believe what they want to believe, and if god himself posted here on Gaf saying what's what, fanboys would not change their minds.

snack said:
I wonder if Microsoft will market the 360 GTA IV as the only one to have this content.

I would imagine that they would make a huge deal out of this.

I doubt they parted with that $30million only to let it quietly be an issue on messageboards.

Norml

Orlics said:
Next-gen consoles can decompress data much better than last-gen ones can, and I believe audio compression has advanced since then.

So 360 will have 7.1 uncompressed audio?

Tieno said:
They already got 30million from MS.

And will get the $ from the downloads.

So i don't think they are worried jigsaw.

Norml said:
So 360 will have 7.1 uncompressed audio?

Course not, 360 only supports 5.1. And what's this shit about 7.1 uncompressed audio i keep hearing, like what, 2 people in gaf a 7.1 system.

Does it have uncompressed 2.1 stereo?

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
Wow, tears galore in here.

This was announced as exclusive at X06 in October. Where's the new?
Isn't it great if confirmed? And now it's double confirmed. I mean for 360 fans.

Y2Kev said:
But they could have 30 million and 70 dollars.

/eddie murphy

Psh you know he wasn't going to pay full price the game anyway. Probably get it at pre-owned at Gamestop for $65. And you know where that leaves Rockstar? Back at 30 million. :(

shagg_187 said:
That was definitely useless considering PS3 version of a multiplatform games are known to get delayed...

Wouldn't it be especially cruel if MS managed to get Rockstar to delay the PS3 version to 2008? It's definitely not going to happen but I find the idea rather hilarious.

Wii is still going to crush them both but damned if this isn't the most entertaining battle for distant second.

Tobor

GhaleonEB said:
Wow, tears galore in here.

This was announced as exclusive at X06 in October. Where's the new?

PS3 fans were clinging to hope that the content would come later, or that they would get there own content.

Gowans

Gowans007 said:
People really need to read what they are talking about before they post, some guys might as well be posting in the playstation forums. (ohh gona have a look)

sure we'll here more in the E3 announcements if this is locked tight, not long to go.

OH MY GOOD GOD,

I have just peeked into a very scary play. (but it fascinates me)

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=295371
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=295663
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=295456

Master Z

I expect that sometime next year the PS3 will get it's own completely different episodic content. Take Two likes money too much not too.

calder

For a GTA game, I pretty much assume any worthwhile DLC would have to be missions, and a string of related missions at that. Thinking back to other GTA's, I can't imagine just having new cars or items or anything like that being a huge draw months after finishing the game. But having new missions, with proper setups and VA and so on not just a text screen saying "deliver this in 4 minutes!", that expand on the characters and side plots would be very compelling.

A whole new borough or something would be almost like an expansion pack. That would get me to consider getting it for 360 instead, and they could position it like PC games do with expansions where you know that a certain chunk of content is coming in 6 months and it's clearly supplemental to the full game.

Tobor

soco

Merovingian said:
don't forget that the Ps3 version has to use the HDD since the drive is slower than the 360 one. So, ok i don't see how the Ps3 version would be affected by the 360 version.

this has been convered. unless the game fits on a single side, the 360 isn't going to be faster reading it than the ps3.

Tieno

calder said:
For a GTA game, I pretty much assume any worthwhile DLC would have to be missions, and a string of related missions at that. Thinking back to other GTA's, I can't imagine just having new cars or items or anything like that being a huge draw months after finishing the game. But having new missions, with proper setups and VA and so on not just a text screen saying "deliver this in 4 minutes!", that expand on the characters and side plots would be very compelling.

A whole new borough or something would be almost like an expansion pack. That would get me to consider getting it for 360 instead, and they could position it like PC games do with expansions where you know that a certain chunk of content is coming in 6 months and it's clearly supplemental to the full game.
Considering the DLC is mentioned in their release schedule and the fact that it's called episodic content and the fact that MS payed a lot of money makes me think this will probably be pretty substantial content.

Why is everyone on the Sony forum saying Microsoft give Rockstar the monies?
well okay it's a PS forum
Rockstar merely get developer tools direct from Microsoft.

Microsoft's money goes to TakeTwo, from which virtually unlimited money goes to Rockstar to make their game great.

calder said:
We've all read the reports alleging lack of a HDD as standard was a hindrance in development.

No we haven't. There is really only one report, more like one blurb, that spawned all of this "gimped GTA4" crap..

In the interview Houser was asked specifically by the Official PlayStation Magazine:

On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

He continued, "To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet." The difficulties aren't limited to working on Microsoft's box, as Houser explains that "both have enormous challenges" and that "both have their own particular pleasures and pains."

Hopefully this will be something BIG, like Shivering Isles sized, that comes 6-8 months after the release of GTA4. If its just some little mission pack, with new cars/outfits or something, then i don't think it'll be a big deal, even if MS gets it exclusive.

Top Bottom