• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Steroyd

Member
Dec 27, 2006
25,915
0
0
England
Master Z said:
Oh yes I forgot. Rockstar is just a small little developer with very little budget to work with. How could could they possibly develop for the 360 AND the PS3?!? Sorry I overlooked this, poor little Rockstar...maybe someday they'll be mega successful and grow into one of the biggest develpment houses in the world...maybe...someday....

The Exclusive Xbox 360 content, IS EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX 360 if sony were to get exclusive content it would be EXCLUSIVE TO PS3 MEANING A DIFFERENT STORY, DIFFERENT STUFF AND DIFFERENT MAPS (if they're including any) FROM THE XBOX 360 VERSION.

I just can't see Rockstar splitting their resources like that even if the PS3 version of GTA outsells the Xbox 360 version through retail.
 
Jun 8, 2004
9,220
0
0
Two blocks from Arbys
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking


Help! I've been sent back in time to the year 2004 and Capcom just announced RE4 will be released on the PS2. I need to get some plutonium to get home. If you're reading this message future me, contact doc.
 

UncleGuito

Banned
Mar 12, 2006
2,846
0
0
Michigan
Steroyd said:
I just can't see Rockstar splitting their resources like that even if the PS3 version of GTA outsells the Xbox 360 version through retail.
The 360 version will outsell the PS3 one big time, not only because there are more of Microsoft's consoles in the home, but also because 360 software in general sells like hotcakes.
 

Tiktaalik

Member
Aug 6, 2004
12,870
0
1,430
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Help! I've been sent back in time to the year 2004 and Capcom just announced RE4 will be released on the PS2. I need to get some plutonium to get home. If you're reading this message future me, contact doc.

:lol
 

Master Z

Member
Oct 6, 2004
1,524
0
0
some place, somewhere
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking

Did Sony fund the GTA's last gen or something? There's no honor in business, profit rules all. It's the foundation of capitalism. It is because of this that I doubt that PS3 will never see any kind of episodic content. If there's money to be made these greedy companies are going to try and make it.
 

Ploid 3.0

Member
Jun 6, 2004
28,302
4
1,510
I'm a pretty big fan of the GTA games since 3. I haven't played any liberty city stories, or felt I was missing out on them with the PS2 releases. I still play GTA:SA for hours. If Rockstar don't screw GTA4 up and release a short, incomplete game then all owners will be happy I'm sure. The only way I see ps3 only users feeling left out is if the extra dlc content is like a whole new game, and for a far less price than a whole game. Just hope they get the main game straight so it can stand on it's own feet and do better than GTA:SA as far as fun factor, content, extras, and the whole package go.
 

Borys

Banned
Dec 12, 2004
12,094
0
0
39
Poland baby!
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking

:lol

Dude, it's all about the monies.

And as far as monies go, people don't call Microsoft - M$ - without a reason.

Remember, it is: M$ and -$ony.
 

Master Z

Member
Oct 6, 2004
1,524
0
0
some place, somewhere
Steroyd said:
The Exclusive Xbox 360 content, IS EXCLUSIVE TO XBOX 360 if sony were to get exclusive content it would be EXCLUSIVE TO PS3 MEANING A DIFFERENT STORY, DIFFERENT STUFF AND DIFFERENT MAPS (if they're including any) FROM THE XBOX 360 VERSION.

I just can't see Rockstar splitting their resources like that even if the PS3 version of GTA outsells the Xbox 360 version through retail.

You really think that Rockstar couldn't handle making episodic content for PS3 if they really wanted to?
 

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Jun 8, 2004
8,580
2
0
48
Seattle
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking


This is great news for fans of bad news.
 

calder

Member
Jun 9, 2004
18,546
1
0
Winnipeg
mrklaw is joking. ;) Although i hope the term "scat money" enters the GAF lexicon and spreads throughout the internets, eventually being added to Webster's in 2012.

er, 99% sure anyway
 

_Angelus_

Banned
Aug 25, 2004
5,403
1
0
California
www.youtube.com
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking




Oh my God.
:lol

The PS2 caught fire because of this series. I think if anything Sony should have came up with the cash to counter any 360 extras,its simple business. Afterall Sony was notorious for nabbing exclusives and using money hats way back in the PSX era. They simply didn't care enough to do that this time around,blame then,not their competition.
 

Steroyd

Member
Dec 27, 2006
25,915
0
0
England
UncleGuito said:
The 360 version will outsell the PS3 one big time, not only because there are more of Microsoft's consoles in the home, but also because 360 software in general sells like hotcakes.

Hence why i said so in a hypothetical tone. ;)

Although you could spin it the other way and say PS owners are starved of games and will lap up the next big wad of games.

You really think that Rockstar couldn't handle making episodic content for PS3 if they really wanted to?

No i doubt the context of the episodic content.

If it was the exact same as the Xbox 360 is getting then yes, although if MS moneyhatted that it's proper exclusive content, that will never make it onto the PS3, then i don't think Rockstar will spend the time and resources to make a separate storyline, maps, missions etc etc, just for the PS3.
 

Grecco

Member
May 3, 2006
21,525
0
0
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking


:lol You just woke up right? This sounds just like Nintendo Fans sounded when Square jumped ship ages ago.
 

Borys

Banned
Dec 12, 2004
12,094
0
0
39
Poland baby!
Grecco said:
:lol You just woke up right? This sounds just like Nintendo Fans sounded when Square jumped ship ages ago.

Or when they announced RE4 for PS2 even before the GCN version shipped :lol I still remember the plain PR from Capcoms official site.

OMG BETRAYALTON WITH A WEAPON THROUGH ONE'S HEAD
 

GreekWolf

Member
Sep 16, 2005
6,045
0
1,280
It's like I woke up in bizarro world.

I guess Microsoft, after getting whipped badly with their last machine, decided to attack Sony on a completely different front. They know that there's really no way Sony can compete blow-for-blow with their bottomless pit of a bank account. They also know that 'dev loyalty' flies right out the door whenever you wave the rich fragance of millions of greenbacks under their noses.
 

Master Z

Member
Oct 6, 2004
1,524
0
0
some place, somewhere
Steroyd said:
No i doubt the context of the episodic content.

If it was the exact same as the Xbox 360 is getting then yes, although if MS moneyhatted that it's proper exclusive content, that will never make it onto the PS3, then i don't think Rockstar will spend the time and resources to make a separate storyline, maps, missions etc etc, just for the PS3.

If Sony pays for it, or if Take Two sees sales potential, they're going to do it. How much do you think it's really going to cost them? Not $30mil, that's for sure. The engine will be done so all they'll really be doing is creating new assests and tweaking the code.
 

Tiktaalik

Member
Aug 6, 2004
12,870
0
1,430
I have a big feeling that the difference between the sales of GTA4 for PS3 and 360 is going to be quite large, larger than people think.

It's anecdotal, but I have multiple friends that bought PS2's just for GTA, and this time around, they're thinking they're going to do 360 instead. I mean when you get GTA for 360 also get the other big casual game, Halo. This DLC is just the icing on the cake. If Microsoft can get the word out to casual gamers that the 360 version has something the PS3 version doesn't then casuals will move in droves.
 

Tobor

Member
Sep 15, 2006
41,041
0
0
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking

If there was any honor left, the PS3 would have committed Seppuku by now. :p

EDIT: Joke guys. Let's all take a step back and breathe.
 

Grecco

Member
May 3, 2006
21,525
0
0
Tiktaalik said:
I have a big feeling that the difference between the sales of GTA4 for PS3 and 360 is going to be quite large, larger than people think.

.


By October (After Halo and a potential 360 price cut) Theres gonna be alot more 360s in the market than PS3s anyways. So yes i think we can safely say that GTA will sell better on the Xbox than on the Playstation
 

Tiktaalik

Member
Aug 6, 2004
12,870
0
1,430
Grecco said:
By October (After Halo and a potential 360 price cut) Theres gonna be alot more 360s in the market than PS3s anyways. So yes i think we can safely say that GTA will sell better on the Xbox than on the Playstation

I don't mean just better, I mean MUCH better. Like NPD Megaton better.
 

MercuryLS

Banned
Apr 21, 2007
13,379
1
0
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Well from what I've read this DLC isn't something like car armor, it's more along the lines of the GTA story series on the PSP/PS2.

They also talked about how GTAIV is like a series of areas where more areas can be added through DLC, so I'm betting that the DLC is a new island with new missions, weapons, achievements, etc.
 

Joe211

Member
Feb 22, 2007
1,240
0
0
france
UncleGuito said:
The 360 version will outsell the PS3 one big time, not only because there are more of Microsoft's consoles in the home, but also because 360 software in general sells like hotcakes.

and?

anyway episodic content is not a big deal IMO
 

MercuryLS

Banned
Apr 21, 2007
13,379
1
0
ram said:
yeah - i think give it SIX month and you get the same shit on playstation. thats exclusive for rockstar/taketwo. remember how long the psp gtas were "exclusive" and the ps3 has the advantage with the standard hdd.

Yeah I think you're wrong, no way MS would have dropped $30 mil for DLC time exclusive.
 

MercuryLS

Banned
Apr 21, 2007
13,379
1
0
soco said:
where is everyone getting the 30$ mil number from? i think this is some makebelieve number created on gamefaqs.


i've got a feeling most people are gonna be disappointed when they see whats in the "episodic content". i think it sounds better on paper than what it'll end up being in real life. i also don't believe its gonna make a big deal to most consumers. how exactly do you advertise downloadable content to people who are used to walking into a store and getting the complete version? tv commercials that point out that they can pay 90$ on the 360 version and get a few more missions than on the ps3 one?

besides, how's this gonna work for the core system anyway? (you don't get it, suckaz! that's a nice message :)

I remember reading that Rockstar said that the DLC will be sizeable, like the amount of gameplay seen in the GTA stories games (around 20h). This isn't throaway content, its the real ****ing deal. 30 mil isn't cump change, MS will get sizeable content from Rockstar North.
 

Tobor

Member
Sep 15, 2006
41,041
0
0
Master Z said:
You need to put a smilie or a j/k or something. I can't hear the tone of your voice through words on a computer screen...

So you thought I seriously wanted an inanimate object to commit ritual suicide? :)

Joe211 said:
and?

anyway episodic content is not a big deal IMO


Come on, this is a big deal, and saying "I don't want to play it anyway" is just being silly.
If the content had been announced the other way around, would you not want to play it then?
 

Merovingian

Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1,963
0
0
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Help! I've been sent back in time to the year 2004 and Capcom just announced RE4 will be released on the PS2. I need to get some plutonium to get home. If you're reading this message future me, contact doc.

OMG I FOUND YOU!!!

 

Tobor

Member
Sep 15, 2006
41,041
0
0
xaosslug said:
PS3 ver. not to incl. exclusive DL'able content, because 'content' in question is to be featured ON DISK, thanks to the space afforded by Blu-Ray! ;P


:lol

You're a page late.
 

Steroyd

Member
Dec 27, 2006
25,915
0
0
England
Come on, this is a big deal, and saying "I don't want to play it anyway" is just being silly.
If the content had been announced the other way around, would you not want to play it then?

If it's fleshing out a story without adding a new island or anything i wouldn't bother, if it added new islands then it IS a big deal.

Although saying this how would Rockstar take the series then? Surely episodic content is better if they're making a GTA Vice City, San Andreas Equivalent from GTA IV onwards... but being exclusive to Xbox 360 would that just mean that the retail version is going to skip to GTA 5?
 

B-Ri

Member
Jan 17, 2007
2,467
0
860
www.brianmoreno.com
this is news? Guys it says it in the financial report when MS gave Rockstar $30 million.

"To develop exclusive episodic content"


Im going to skip this game for a few months. 360 core has already gimped the game, and i wanna see just what this DLC is going to do for the game. With marketplace prices how they are, $25 per episode = lose.
 

Grecco

Member
May 3, 2006
21,525
0
0
xaosslug said:
PS3 ver. not to incl. exclusive DL'able content, because 'content' in question is to be featured ON DISK, thanks to the space afforded by Blu-Ray! ;P













:lol


This joke is pretty old
 

kammy

Banned
Mar 6, 2005
1,213
0
0
1. GTA is the most mainstream franchise yet
2. No one gives a **** about online content.

This equals no big deal.

Bottom line is 90% of GTA owners have never seen more than 50% of the game, why would they pay extra for more unless we get gimped retail games
 

Deadly Monk

Banned
Dec 21, 2005
3,581
0
0
mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking

Imagine if GTA 3 was on the Xbox first as that was the original plan until Microsoft discarded it (regretably).

And to you MrKLaw : just stop. moneyhats go all around.
 

Tobor

Member
Sep 15, 2006
41,041
0
0
Steroyd said:
If it's fleshing out a story without adding a new island or anything i wouldn't bother, if it added new islands then it IS a big deal.

Although saying this how would Rockstar take the series then? Surely episodic content is better if they're making a GTA Vice City, San Andreas Equivalent from GTA IV onwards... but being exclusive to Xbox 360 would that just mean that the retail version is going to skip to GTA 5?

I have no idea. It probably depends on how the episodic content sells, as well as how much content they can do per download. Shivering Isles proves full expansions are possible.
 

Steroyd

Member
Dec 27, 2006
25,915
0
0
England
B-Ri said:
this is news? Guys it says it in the financial report when MS gave Rockstar $30 million.

"To develop exclusive episodic content"


Im going to skip this game for a few months. 360 core has already gimped the game, and i wanna see just what this DLC is going to do for the game. With marketplace prices how they are, $25 per episode = lose.

Third parties on XBL haven't exactly instilled confidence that people won't get ripped off somehow.
 

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jun 10, 2004
59,895
2
0
Windsor, UK
Shinobi said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol




He better be joking...


yeah, sorry - I don't usually post completely trolling shit like that. I guess I'm just jaded at all this vitriol flying around from all sides (not that it'll clear up anytime soon).

I actually wrote that post in a fit of pique, then realised just how bloody stupid it was. Then hit 'submit' anyway :p