• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

UncleGuito said:
Having episodic content is better than not having episodic content.

Anyone who says other wise is only fooling themselves.
Depends what is sacrificed on the disc and from the bank in the creation of that episodic content, I'd say.

Mrbob

I'm interested to see who handles the Episodic content. If it is really liberty city stories in size.

Perhaps Rockstar Leeds will do it? I can't imagine Rockstar North would spend another 6 months working on DLC, when that is 6 months they can spend working on the next boxed GTA game.

Tobor

chriskzoo said:
...perhaps it couldn't fit on the 360 DVD disc and will be included on the PS3 Blu-Ray version....?

/fanboy

xaosslug said:
PS3 ver. not to incl. exclusive DL'able content, because 'content' in question is to be featured ON DISK, thanks to the space afforded by Blu-Ray! ;P

:lol

Raist said:
Keyword : episodic !

Only the 360 will get the episodic content, because it will be available from the start on the PS3 version ! Blu-ray ftw !

seriously, who cares ?

Funnier every time. :)

Why wouldn't rockstar have some type of downloadable content for the ps3? from a business prospective its seems they would be hurting themselves by not doing it

i honestly can care Less... I have both console... but im going to purchase it on Ps3.. I really have a gut feeling it will run alot smoother.. and lower load times with the HDD

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
banner.gif

rkenshin

Phoenix Down said:
Why wouldn't rockstar have some type of downloadable content for the ps3? from a business prospective its seems they would be hurting themselves by not doing it

i honestly can care Less... I have both console... but im going to purchase it on Ps3.. I really have a gut feeling it will run alot smoother.. and lower load times with the HDD

Then pray that it doesn't end up like Spider-man 3 since this is the first time a 3D GTA is showing up on two consoles at the same time

soco

Phoenix Down said:

unless you've only got a core 360, that should be a non-issue.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This is from Take-Two's 2Q 2006 report

http://seekingalpha.com/article/11813

While we are discussing the balance sheet, I want to give you a heads-up that beginning with our July 31st financial statements, you will see deferred revenue broken out on our balance sheet, relating to agreements for online content, in-game advertising, and licensing of our intellectual property. Most recently, we have received approximately $35 million of payments in our third quarter, and we expect to receive additional payments this year. To the extent we have not performed the obligations required under these agreements, we will report such payments as deferred revenue on our balance sheet.

Additionally, we announced a Rockstar/Microsoft strategic alliance, where Rockstar will provide exclusive downloadable episodic content for X-Box Live. This is a new area of opportunity for us, with the potential to drive incremental sales and extend the product life cycle. Downloadable episodic content is one of several ways we will maximize the value of our key brands to create additional revenue streams.

First question from the analysts

Heath Terry - Credit Suisse First Boston

Great, thank you. Karl, could you give us a little bit more detail on the decision to break out deferred revenue? How much of that is directly tied to the Microsoft deal in terms of you providing online content to that versus being tied to the in-game advertising deals that you have put together?

mrklaw said:
this annoys me. Is there no honour in this anymore? The value of GTA now exists solely because of Playstation. And yet they're perfectly happy to shit in Sony's mouth if MS pay the scat money?

shocking

Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
[a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
[aloud]
Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

soco said:
unless you've only got a core 360, that should be a non-issue.

Not every 360 has a HDD.. so they cant take full advantage of it... i guess u dident read the GTA interview regarding the 360.. look it up

MercuryLS

Banned
I've read a few posts in this thread where some people are saying that this won't be a system mover for X360.

Lets see here.

X360 $400 + GTAIV day and date with PS3 + excluisve DLC.

vs.

PS3 $600 + GTAIV.

Some gaffers say that Halo 3 is going to be a big X360 mover, I beg to differ. GTA appeals to the shooter demographic of the system and previus PS2 fans and casual gamers that have no affinity to any system (but are still on the sidelines). If MS drop the price of the X360 before GTAIV hits it'll be a blood bath, sony will get a bloody nose in NA and posibly Europe as well.

Agent Icebeezy

Phoenix Down said:

Um, you say this in full confidence even though no one outside of Rockstar has ever seen the PS3 version?

Phoenix Down said:
Not every 360 has a HDD.. so they cant take full advantage of it... i guess u dident read the GTA interview regarding the 360.. look it up

But 90% of the 360s do have a hdd, so use it to the fullest. If the Core version runs like crap, so be it. They can buy a hdd . . . they'll want one anyway for that DLC. :lol

FrankT

methane47 said:
The same guy who apparently CONFIRMS the exclusivity of the Xbox360 DLC is the same guy who says this

He's sure about one.. but isn't even sure about the development platforms for another..
I think before I totally rule out judgment I will wait for an official statement from RockStar or TTWO and not an "Insider"

Haha, you are in some serious denial bro. This isn't some insider they confirmed this with a Take Two representive last night. Heh, actually posted the original article from gameindustry in the Take Two thread last night.

Peter Moore said exclusive DLC in May 06, Take Two says exclusive in June 07, you do the math.

Phoenix Down said:

captive said:

LJ11 said:
And yet you keep slamming on the F5 button and issue a reply every time.

Now these are no jokes. These have feeling behind them. These are much funnier.

edit: Great, my 360 just crapped out. Karma is a bitch

MercuryLS said:
I've read a few posts in this thread where some people are saying that this won't be a system mover for X360.

Lets see here.

vs.

PS3 $600 + GTAIV.

Some gaffers say that Halo 3 is going to be a big X360 mover, I beg to differ. GTA appeals to the shooter demographic of the system and previus PS2 fans and casual gamers that have no affinity to any system (but are still on the sidelines). If MS drop the price of the X360 before GTAIV hits it'll be a blood bath, sony will get a bloody nose in NA and posibly Europe as well.

That is why the huge sum of $30 million, which may seem a bit excessive now, was actually a very good investment.

Phoenix Down said:

You have absolutely no clue how it is or is not going to perform on either system, so it's idiotic to make these statements four months before the game launches. To deny yourself the extra content that will eventually be offered in the 360 version makes absolutely no sense.

The denial in this thread is very, very similar to what we saw in the VF5 and DMC4 threads. I can't wait until the eventual MGS4 thread....

Mrbob

I think the X360 became the lead version of GTA4 the day Sony announced 599 US DOLLARS.

The ramifications of this move will hurt them for years to come. Sony really only has one move to make. They have to get the PS3 down to $399.99 ASAP, and they are still going to lose marketshare. Better to lose some than get completely obliterated though.

Unless somehow magically Blu Ray becomes the standard for games, but it won't with the X360 out there for another good 4 years.

Can we just say that PS3 owners are the real winner here because they won't have to spend money for more content ? :/

I really don't know what to think... having DLC is a nice thing but first you have to pay and second if the content is good the 360 version will surely be the best choice.
So it means not only paying the DLC 15$ but also the full price of a 360.
I hate exclusive so much :(

MercuryLS said:

Lets see here.

vs.

PS3 $600 + GTAIV.

I think at this point its really too early to say whats really going to happen.. After e3 will we will have a better picture of whats going on.. and what i mean is Game Titles and of course pricedrops

IMO MS wont drop the price until AFter h3 and GTA ship.. there going to bank on the sales.. and then price drop.. the gain even more sales

Sony will have a price drop this year.. my guess is $100..

I also think by the time GTA is released there will be a couple of titles worth purchasing along side GTA on PS3 which will justify the higher price point buy

MercuryLS

Banned
Chû Totoro said:
Can we just say that PS3 owners are the real winner here because they won't have to spend money for more content ? :/

I really don't know what to think... having DLC is a nice thing but first you have to pay and second if the content is good the 360 version will surely be the best choice.
So it means not only paying the DLC 15$ but also the full price of a 360.
I hate exclusive so much unless its a Sony excluisve :(

fixed.

Posts like this is the exact reason why MS invested $30 mil for the content. To get people that already own PS3's or are on the fence about both systems, the exclusive content could tip the balance in their favor in lots of cases. It could even make some hardcore GTA fans pick up a X360 to get the "full experiences" even if they're PS3 owners.

Grecco

Chû Totoro said:
:(

360 owners dont have to spend money for more content if they dont want to either.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Um, you say this in full confidence even though no one outside of Rockstar has ever seen the PS3 version?

I'm confident because of the Hardware vs hardware.. and what each one offers.. and reading that interview about how they felt about both consoles

im not about to get into Specifics... its pretty clear.. and we will see when the game drops

Phoenix Down said:
I think at this point its really too early to say whats really going to happen.. After e3 will we will have a better picture of whats going on.. a nd what i mean is Game Titles and of course pricedrops

IMO MS wont drop the price until AFter h3 and GTA ship.. there going to bank on the sales.. and then price drop.. the gain even more sales

I also think by the time GTA is released there will be a couple of titles worth purchasing along side GTA on PS3 which will justify the higher price point buy

So Lair, Ratchet, and maybe Heavenly Sword are worth a $600 purchase? That value proposition won't make sense to the vast majority of the game-buying public.

Also, you are implying that Microsoft will drop the price AFTER Halo 3 and GTA IV, yet a quick look at Wikipedia shows that there is no historical precedent for a price drop right in the middle of the holiday season. Price drops almost always happen in the Spring or the Summer.

Phoenix Down said:
I'm confident because of the Hardware vs hardware.. and what each one offers.. and reading that interview about how they felt about both consoles

im not about to get into Specifics... its pretty clear.. and we will see when the game drops

You are clueless about this. That interview only told us that they were having issues with BOTH systems. If the 360 version is having so many issues, why is that the only one that they've been showing? Why the hell would they show the WORSE version if your claim is true?!?

Phoenix Down said:
I think at this point its really too early to say whats really going to happen.. After e3 will we will have a better picture of whats going on.. and what i mean is Game Titles and of course pricedrops

You are funny. I can feel it, i feel your anger, i feel your fear, but you don't use it

darth-vader.gif

Phoenix Down said:

Yes....hmmmmm...use it...

dammitmattt said:
Also, you are implying that Microsoft will drop the price AFTER Halo 3 and GTA IV, yet a quick look at Wikipedia shows that there is no historical precedent for a price drop right in the middle of the holiday season. Price drops almost always happen in the Spring or the Summer.

Well, I really don't think the price drops are tied to the weather at all.

They might drop the price this summer but if they don't, they can still drop them in the fall.

Joe211

Tobor said:
So you thought I seriously wanted an inanimate object to commit ritual suicide? :)

Come on, this is a big deal, and saying "I don't want to play it anyway" is just being silly.
If the content had been announced the other way around, would you not want to play it then?

no cause I don't really care about GTA :p

UncleGuito said:
Having episodic content is better than not having episodic content.

Anyone who says other wise is only fooling themselves.

yeah having free episodic content is a good thing but it won't be free...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MercuryLS said:
If MS drop the price of the X360 before GTAIV hits it'll be a blood bath, sony will get a bloody nose in NA and posibly Europe as well.

I'm sure they'll drop the price in the wake of their biggest first party offering they'll ever have (Halo 3) as well as a plethora of AAA titles. Right.

Joe211

MercuryLS said:
fixed.

Posts like this is the exact reason why MS invested $30 mil for the content. To get people that already own PS3's or are on the fence about both systems, the exclusive content could tip the balance in their favor in lots of cases. It could even make some hardcore GTA fans pick up a X360 to get the "full experiences" even if they're PS3 owners.

dream on

MercuryLS

Banned
I bet you anything that the 30mil covered the following:

- exclusive DLC

- day and date with PS3 ver

- exclusive announcement of GTAIV

- Advertising tie-in (?)

I can't imagine that 30 mil was JUST for the content.

MercuryLS

Banned
Joe211 said:

I'm not saying that it'd be a lot of people, but I bet there are some. This move is to debase people's confidence in PS3 multi-plat titles more than anything.

chubigans said:
I'm sure they'll drop the price in the wake of their biggest first party offering they'll ever have (Halo 3) as well as a plethora of AAA titles. Right.

It's a pretty big if, but if Sony drops the price of their machine this year all best are off. Personally I'm putting my money on a Q1 2008 price drop for X360 during the slow spring season, but this is based on the assumption that Sony won't drop the price of their machine any time soon.

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:
Well, I really don't think the price drops are tied to the weather at all.

They might drop the price this summer but if they don't, they can still drop them in the fall.
I think a drop with come either at E3 or early September. Of the two I think September is the most likely. But then MS has been pretty hard to predict with some of their decisions.

soco

Phoenix Down said:

you apparently misread or misunderstood it. they can take full advantage of it when its there, they just can't rely on it. plenty of 360 games use the HDD when its there, like oblivion, and still function without it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MercuryLS said:
I bet you anything that the 30mil covered the following:

- exclusive DLC

- day and date with PS3 ver

- exclusive announcement of GTAIV

- Advertising tie-in (?)

I can't imagine that 30 mil was JUST for the content.

Actually that's probably right.

dammitmattt said:
So Lair, Ratchet, and maybe Heavenly Sword are worth a $600 purchase? That value proposition won't make sense to the vast majority of the game-buying public.

You are clueless about this. That interview only told us that they were having issues with BOTH systems. If the 360 version is having so many issues, why is that the only one that they've been showing? Why the hell would they show the WORSE version if your claim is true?!?

I dont mean right after launch of both games..after meaning march of 08(thats my guess)

and obviously theres issues developing for both consoles... but they dident specify the issues with the ps3.. DVD9 and no HDD was mentioned as issues for the 360.. those issues will never be fixed...... I assume the issues with the ps3 is development issues.... they tend to get better as devs gain more experience

MercuryLS said:
fixed.

Of course i know the reason of this but it's not like i'm happy to buy every system each generation, it represents quite a lot of money.

And i'd rather buy another console for a whole game than just for DLC... (no matter which console it is)

Agent Icebeezy

Phoenix Down said:

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200705/101_p1.asp

Our introduction to GTA IV - in this case, realtime gameplay from the Xbox 360 development version of the game - is right at home on a stunning 65" HDTV. "This is definitely the earliest we've ever shown a GTA game," warns Rockstar's Hamish Brown. "The reasons for that are not only because we're incredibly proud of how it looks at this early stage, but also because we want people to get an understanding of what we're trying to achieve with the game as early as possible."

With that, I'm going to say that the 360 isn't giving them that much trouble since they say that this is the earilest they've shown it and the fact that they are proud of their work. That appears pretty specific to me.

Smokey

I don't think a price drop on the 360 will hit until next spring at the earliest. I have my doubts that it will hit this fall, but if it does Sony is f*cked.

Price drop + GTA IV + Halo 3 = destruction of Sony in North America BUT...

it aint happenin'

The majority of people aren't going to buy the 360 version because it has episodic content; they'll buy whichever one is better if they have both systems or whichever one is on the system they own. If they don't have either system, they'll make a choice to buy one based on other games, price, features and other factors not including $$$ EPISODIC CONTENT LOL. Of course, this only applies in the vast majority of cases, but the point rests.

soco said:
you apparently misread or misunderstood it. they can take full advantage of it when its there, they just can't rely on it. plenty of 360 games use the HDD when its there, like oblivion, and still function without it.

Oblivion dident take full advantage of the HDD on the 360.. but it did on the Ps3... which is why the load times are much faster.... you really need to ask around.. and read that interview

Agent Icebeezy said:
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200705/101_p1.asp

With that, I'm going to say that the 360 isn't giving them that much trouble since they say that this is the earilest they've shown it and the fact that they are proud of their work. That appears pretty specific to me.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163233

sure the 360 isent giving them trouble :)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Most are also forgetting that we might not see the content until early 08. I highly doubt GTA4 will roll out with the content readily available...it would make as much sense as Shivering Isles available at the launch of Oblivion.

So as far as this holiday season goes, both PS3 and 360 versions are fundamentally equal in the eyes of consumers. The 360 will still sell more, obviously.

Borys

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
Price drop + GTA IV + Halo 3 = destruction of Sony in North America

QFT

Do it Microsoft, DO IT and ascend from the pitiful 150K/ month to 2M/ month.

Legendary threads would follow soon :lol

soco

Phoenix Down said:
Oblivion dident take full advantage of the HDD on the 360.. but it did on the Ps3... which is why the load times are much faster.... you really need to ask around.. and read that interview

no. oblivion had better load times because it had a years worth of optimization.

dammitmattt said:

This should really be a bannable offense. LOL three games aren't worth $600, when you're talking about 2 consoles that still cost hundreds of dollars and games that are $60 each. If you own either of these systems, chances are you've bought multiple games at $60 each, some accessories like extra controllers, recharge packs or headsets, and if you have a 360 you've paid for Xbox Live. Over time each is going to be a huge investment, and just because you think there are only 3 games worth playing for one of them doesn't mean other people dont appreciate the game selection much more.

Top Bottom