• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV episodic content officially now Xbox 360 exclusive thx to SCAT MONEY

Tieno

HyperionX said:
And none of those things will bring them back $50 million. They clearly wanted buy out a part of a game in order to hurt the competition at their own expense.
The profits or costs aren't as transparant. People who buy a 360 because of GTA4 will likely buy other games too.
But more people buying 360s instead of other consoles obviously hurts the competetion and makes MS money too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ORANGUTAN said:
Dude I'm serious... I have no like proof but just from common knowledge over the years, it's safe to say the game cost well north of $50 million with dev & marketing. For example, it was reported Halo 2 cost $50 million. Also reported that Spore is costing over $50 million. And remember FF7 cost $70 million. These types of monster games cost a ton. With all of the licenses for music, voice actors, the massive scale and tech of GTAIV + the insane marketing push it's going to get... I'd bet on it being over 50 mil. Again, I have no proof and either does anyone else.. so all we can do is guess.

I work for a big developer/publisher and I know more or less how much certain games currently in development cost, but I'll admit it's difficult to figure out how much is spent on marketing. At most I would expect 20,000,000 for marketing, and the actual development cost of a high profile large-scale game like GTAIV and the development of its engine can reach 40,000,000, at most 50,000,000. So let's pretend it's 50,000,000 plus 20,000,000, this means 70,000,000 total; production, marketing, shipping etc. Everything.

$50 million for some DLC is basically paying for the whole development cost, at least. It's way overblown obviously, but at the same time this absolutely guarantees that the DLC will be exclusive to the 360 and MS is not crazy, they probably asked for them to be of decent size, almost like half sequels. That's my guess anyway. And yeah expect the DLC to be available in stores too.

You can guarantee that by the end of 2008 there will be a GTA4 SKU with all the episodic content as well. That will push sales even more.

HyperionX said:
And none of those things will bring them back $50 million. They clearly wanted buy out a part of a game in order to hurt the competition at their own expense.

It might not bring back the $50 million via GTA4 alone but they aren't thinking in that tiny respect. Little Jonny isn't just going to be getting an XBox 360 and GTA4, he'll get Halo 3, Mass Effect etc. etc. which means plenty more money stemming from that one deciding factor.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I work for a big developer/publisher and I know more or less how much certain games currently in development cost, but I'll admit it's difficult to figure out how much is spent on marketing. At most I would expect 20,000,000 for marketing, and the actual development cost of a high profile large-scale game like GTAIV and the development of its engine can reach 40,000,000, at most 50,000,000. So let's pretend it's 50,000,000 plus 20,000,000, this means 70,000,000 total; production, marketing, shipping etc. Everything.
Yeah see, I knew I was right about the costs..

Smokey

Ether_Snake said:

$50 million for some DLC is basically paying for the whole development cost, at least. It's way overblown obviously, but at the same time this absolutely guarantees that the DLC will be exclusive to the 360 and MS is not crazy, they probably asked for them to be of decent size, almost like half sequels. That's my guess anyway. And yeah expect the DLC to be available in stores too.

Wow that's a lot of zeros in that post.

So if MSFT is paying for the development cost of the game, they are also paying for the PS3 version to be made as well theoretically...right...? since they both release at the same time?

Tobor

Now all MS has to do is drop the price. A $199 Core or $299 Premium + GTA 4 + exclusive episodes is just brutal. I don't see how Sony could possibly respond to that.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Smokey Bones said:

So if MSFT is paying for the development cost of the game, they are also paying for the PS3 version to be made as well theoretically...right...? since they both release at the same time?

they probably just look at the PS3 version as an unfortunate byproduct of their investment. However, GTA4 will be huge and the 360 will have the definitive version. They will shout that from every rooftop

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Smokey Bones said:

Like I said, in a way yes, but the fact is the money is probably being used to make the actual DLC games, which could be almost whole new games in their own (as stated before, probably extra locations just outside of New York or extra islands in New York. The money would justify that anyway).

Smokey Bones said:

Yup. But if 50 million means paying for the Dev of the game, then it also means they get exclusive episodic content for free.

$50 million for two eps?

No wonder Sony didn't even try to go over-the-top of Microsoft's moneyhat offer. That's just crazy.

Heck, for that kind of cash, Sony could probably produce two blockbuster titles in their own existing studios, or roll all that cash into making one crazy "GTA Killer"-type new IP project, probably complete with marketing. If I was Rockstar, I'd try not to piss Sony off too much with all this stuff, or that might be precisely what happens.

$50 million? Sheesh. Personally, I think Microsoft kinda played themselves at that price. They probably could have gotten the day-and-date agreement for less than half that, and that was the really important announcement to be able to make about the title anyway.

They could have taken the rest of that cash and rolled it into securing something different, another commercially risky title similar to a Viva Pinata maybe, (only with decent packaging and marketing this time,) that doesn't fit into the stereotypical XBox "game about shooting stuff" mold, in order to broaden their demographic.

We'll see how it works out for them.

Personally, I'm waiting until I can see both versions. All this talk has done nothing but convince me not to pre-order. I'm the kind of hardcore fan that would actually pick up and play both versions, provided they both use the systems' strengths and are unique enough to make that purchase worthwhile, so before I go drop $120 bucks, I need to see what I'm getting. I also want to know more details about the 360's episodic content, like price, timely delivery dates (I felt burned by Half Life), and what such content will contain.

Goldrusher

HyperionX said:
$50 million for 2 episodes is just a waste of money.

Let's say GTAIV sells 5 million copies (for 360). If MS sells the episodes for $20 each, they only need a quarter of the GTAIV-owners to buy them and they're even again.
Plus, they'll likely get new customers. People choosing the 360 over the PS3 because of the episodes.

I also expect the 360 GTAIV boxes to have stickers like "Xbox 360 exclusive content coming soon".

sangreal

Goldrusher said:
Let's say GTAIV sells 5 million copies (for 360). If MS sells the episodes for $20 each, they only need a quarter of the GTAIV-owners to buy them and they're even again.

Most of that money would goto Take Two though, I would imagine

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Pristine_Condition said:
$50 for two eps?

No wonder Sony didn't even try to go over-the-top of Microsoft's moneyhat offer. That's just crazy.

Heck, for that kind of cash, Sony could probably produce two blockbuster titles in their own existing studios, or roll all that cash into making one crazy "GTA Killer"-type new IP project, probably complete with marketing. If I was Rockstar, I'd try not to piss Sony off too much with all this stuff, or that might be precisely what happens.

$50 million? Sheesh. Personally, I think Microsoft kinda played themselves at that price. They probably could have gotten the day-and-date agreement for less than half that, and that was the really important announcement to be able to make about the title anyway.

They could have taken the rest of that cash and rolled it into securing something different, another commercially risky title similar to a Viva Pinata maybe, (only with decent packaging and marketing this time,) that doesn't fit into the stereotypical XBox "game about shooting stuff" mold, in order to broaden their demographic.

Personally, I'm waiting until I can see both versions. All this talk has done nothing but convince me not to pre-order. I'm the kind of hardcore fan that would actually pick up and play both versions, provided they both use the system's strengths and are unique enough to make that purchase worthwhile, so before I go drop $120 bucks, I need to see what I'm getting. I also want to know more details about the 360's episodic content, like price, timely delivery dates (I felt burned by Half Life), and what such content will contain.

Any game SONY would come up with would be crushed by GTA.
At this point and time nobody is afraid of SONY.

Smokey

Pristine_Condition said:
$50 for two eps?

Personally, I'm waiting until I can see both versions. All this talk has done nothing but convince me not to pre-order. I'm the kind of hardcore fan that would actually pick up and play both versions, provided they both use the systems' strengths and are unique enough to make that purchase worthwhile, so before I go drop $120 bucks, I need to see what I'm getting. I also want to know more details about the 360's episodic content, like price, timely delivery dates (I felt burned by Half Life), and what such content will contain.

So you own both systems yet you don't which one to get it for?

This should be a no brainer if you own both..seriously.

And where are you getting $120 from...unless you plan(ed) to buy both versions???

GreekWolf

B-Ri said:
theres a difference between incentives for developers, and blatently buying the industry.
Hey, if it means even more privately-funded projects from companies like Mistwalker and Bioware, and unique content that extends/expands major franchises like GTA, then what can you say... buy away.

I'd rather that Microsoft continue to throw insane gobs of money into the game industry than to fund various business ventures which I don't care about.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BTW considering that the first expansion comes out in early 2008, it is definite that they "took out" a part of GTAIV (Staten Island most likely) and are going to build up on it to make the first DLC. A game is usually "finished" around three months before the release, in the sense that pretty much all content is frozen and they just debug and close the game, get the approval from MS and Sony, before the release date. So having some serious DLC released in early 2008 indicates to me that it was stuff that was already in development before any deal was signed, and likely a part taken out of GTAIV itself.

Pristine_Condition said:
$50 million for two eps?

:lol

What? Sony would do what? Man that was just retarded. Not to mention they already tried. ;) And MS is actually spending quite a bit of cheese on trying to expand their demo

Smokey Bones said:
So you own both systems yet you don't which one to get it for?

This should be a no brainer if you own both..seriously.

And where are you getting $120 from...unless you plan(ed) to buy both versions???

Read my freaking post, man.

In the post of mine you quoted, in the same sentence you got the "$120" from, I said "I'm the kind of hardcore fan that would actually pick up and play both versions..."

Geeze. It was in the same sentence.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Merovingian said:

What? Sony would do what? Man that was just retarded. Not to mention they already tried. ;)
why cant your computer break instead of one of your many game consoles that seem to be biting the dust.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Pristine_Condition said:
$50 million for two eps?

Erm...publishers don't decide what will be a GTA killer. The market does.

soco

in that same link sangrael posted, there was talk of a special edition version that was 89$. do we have any idea yet, what's gonna be in there to be worth 90$ ? i haven't seen anything yet.

oct release $59.99
mar '08 content $29.99
Oct '08 content $29.99
Dec '08 game re-released with both contents in retail $59.99

Taketwo is really cashin.

captive said:
why cant your computer break instead of one of your many game consoles that seem to be biting the dust.

Why did you reply like that to that post?

Did i touch a nerve? **** off

Go play your Ps3

Smokey

Pristine_Condition said:
Read my freaking post, man.

In the post of mine you quoted, in the same sentence you got the "$120" from, I said "I'm the kind of hardcore fan that would actually pick up and play both versions..."

Geeze. It was in the same sentence.

Yes sir I apologize sir.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Scottlarock said:
oct release $59.99
mar '08 content $29.99
Oct '08 content $29.99

Yeah I expect that (except for the bundle, too close to the second DLC).

captive

Merovingian said:
Why did you reply like that to that post?

Did i touch a nerve? **** off

Go play your Ps3
No i just find the tone in most of your posts arrogant and or cocky.
And i am playing my PS3, im playing warhawk right now.

sangreal

soco said:
in that same link sangrael posted, there was talk of a special edition version that was 89$. do we have any idea yet, what's gonna be in there to be worth 90$ ? i haven't seen anything yet.
Priced at $89.99, the Grand Theft Auto IV special edition includes a stylized metal safety deposit box, a copy of the game with special packaging, a behind-the scenes art book, a soundtrack CD with exclusive tracks, a collectible keychain and a customized Rockstar Games duffle bag. It doesn't appear any unique game content is tied to the edition.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159693

captive said:
No i just find the tone in most of your posts arrogant and or cocky.
And i am playing my PS3, im playing warhawk right now.

Amazing. Must be one hell of a player. Type with one hand play with the other. Too bad that with your brain divided between 3 tasks, your posts came across as shit.

captive

Merovingian said:
Amazing. Must be one hell of a player. Type with one hand play with the other. Too bad that with your brain divided between 3 tasks, your posts came across as shit.
:lol ok

50 million for episodic content, i said wow.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Scottlarock said:
oct release $59.99
mar '08 content $29.99
Oct '08 content $29.99

Yup, that's how I see it stacking up, too. But I think the bundle will be released likely Easter '09, rather than Dec '08.

Merovingian said:

What? Sony would do what? Man that was just retarded. Not to mention they already tried. ;) And MS is actually spending quite a bit of cheese on trying to expand their demo

You guys don't get what I'm saying at all. I'm not saying a Sony-made "GTA Killer" would crush GTA on XBox 360, or GTA's total sales.

What I'm saying is that if Rockstar drops the ball and makes GTA on PS3 a totally gimped POS port, a superior, non-gimped, big-budget, Sony studio-made, PS3-exclusive "GTA-killer" could hurt Rockstar's ability to sell GTA on the PS3, thus spoiling Take-Two's longterm multiplatform ambitions for the title.

I'm not saying it would ever happen, either. Rockstar has never gimped a Playstation GTA title yet, so I don't think they will. I think they will deliver.

Geeze, you people are really crazy-ready to jump on anything, aren't you?

Think for a minute. Take a deep breath. It'll all be fine.

Madman

MonkeyLicker said:
Any game SONY would come up with would be crushed by GTA.
At this point and time nobody is afraid of SONY.
If nobody is afraid of what Sony can do, they are very foolish. As far as making a GTA clone, I'll wait to see what the next Getaway is like.

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
captive said:
:lol ok

50 million for episodic content, i said wow.
If it helps to put another nail in the PS3's coffin it's clearly worth it to Microsoft.

sangreal

Pristine_Condition said:
You guys don't get what I'm saying at all. I'm not saying a Sony-made "GTA Killer" would crush GTA on XBox 360, or GTA's total sales.

What I'm saying is that if Rockstar drops the ball and makes GTA on PS3 a totally gimped POS port, a superior, non-gimped, big-budget, Sony studio-made, PS3-exclusive "GTA-killer" could hurt Rockstar's ability to sell GTA on the PS3, thus spoiling Take-Two's longterm multiplatform ambitions for the title.

I'm not saying it would ever happen, either. Rockstar has never gimped a Playstation GTA title yet, so I don't think they will. I think they will deliver.

Geeze, you people are really crazy ready to jump on anything, aren't you?

The Getaway?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Madman said:
IAs far as making a GTA clone, I'll wait to see what the next Getaway is like.
:lol :lol :lol

Those are some bitter tears if ever I saw them.

'I don't mine GTA5 being PS4 exclusive -- I'll just wait for MS to blow it out of the water with Crackdown 3!' :lol :lol

Madman said:
If nobody is afraid of what Sony can do, they are very foolish. As far as making a GTA clone, I'll wait to see what the next Getaway is like.
So the first two turds weren't enough for you?

Pristine_Condition said:

Geeze, you people are really crazy-ready to jump on anything, aren't you?

Man i'm from Neptune remember? I don't take deep breaths here. And i still think the scenario you are painting is unreal

sangreal said:
The Getaway?

I have no idea. I never played the game. I'm a GTA fan.

I'm just going over what my thought process would be if I was in Sony's shoes and I had all these talented in-house and second-party studios at my disposal, and someone told me I'd have to beat a $50 Million moneyhat for GTA.

I'm just saying I'd be inclined to see what GTA I got on my system without trying to match that crazy price, and have a backup plan if I didn't like what I saw.

Meh - for whatever system I get to play GTA on, I wasn't gonig to get the content anyway - and it will likely be cheap add on worthlessness regardless. Why is this such a big deal?

Madman

cjelly said:
:lol :lol :lol

Those are some bitter tears if ever I saw them.

'I don't mine GTA5 being PS4 exclusive -- I'll just wait for MS to blow it out of the water with Crackdown 3!' :lol :lol
What? I think GTA was better than the original Getaway. I really have no clue...*looks at avatar* ah, ok. I get it.

I own a 360 BTW. So, be a fanboy. I could care less.

Hollywood_mIRC said:
Meh - for whatever system I get to play GTA on, I wasn't gonig to get the content anyway - and it will likely be cheap add on worthlessness regardless. Why is this such a big deal?

Because it won't be a cheap add on.

Madman said:
What? I think GTA was better than the original Getaway. I really have no clue...*looks at avatar* ah, ok. I get it.

I own a 360 BTW. So, be a fanboy. I could care less.

Riiiight...

Merovingian said:
Man i'm from Neptune remember? I don't take deep breaths here. And i still think the scenario you are painting is unreal

No, you are THAT guy. I didn't remember. I don't keep a post-it note of who the crazy people I meet on GAF are from day-to-day.
j/k about the "crazy" part...
Maybe I should.

Well, it sounds like you disagree with me. That's cool. People do it all the time. I don't care if you disagree, just as long as you understand my side of the argument. :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

One thing's for certain. It sure as hell won't be CHEAP!

Top Bottom