• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1080 and 1070 make their first appearance on Steam Hardware & Software Survey

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

July 2016 marks the first appearance of Nvidia's new cards on the survey. Note that the 1060 seems to be too new still and it doesn't appear yet.

GTX 1070 - 0.33%
GTX 1080 - 0.30%

I think we can put to bed any further claims that the 1070 and 1080 were "paper launches" because it's pretty obvious there are a lot of installed cards already. The demand was there and has been there for the new high end cards, and they spent nearly 2 months sold out because people were buying them as fast as they were being put on sale.

Nobody seemed to believe it when Nvidia stated it was their biggest high end card launch of all time, with more product available for sale than the 980. Even now, it's hard to find a custom AIB 1080, it's mostly Founders Editions in stock in a lot of places. The 1070 stock situation seems pretty good though.

If you are still in the market for a 1080 and still don't know about this site, here it is.
https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080/

Renekton

Bump, now I'm super interested in survey % by end of September/October, after a fresh supply of hopefully-not-so-marked-up 480/470/1060 hit developing countries.

Overwatch may be spurring an upgrade mini-frenzy.

Yeah, I want to see how fast the uptake on the midrange is this generation too. The jump from 28 nm to 14/16 nm was a huge one, as the 1060 is something like twice as fast as the 960.

Come to think of it the 1080 is almost twice as fast as the 980 in a lot of games, but the existence of the 980 Ti and Old Titan X blunted the effect of it's performance increase compared to the massive leap in the midrange.

Durante

That seems like a lot given that 980ti is only at 0.99%.

If you want to do some questionable math, we know that the Vive (at 0.18%) sold more than 100000 units. That would imply at least 180k 1080s and 1070s out there each. Which seems like a lot, but not impossible

If you want to do some questionable math, we know that the Vive (at 0.18%) sold more than 100000 units. That would imply at least 180k 1080s and 1070s out there each. Which seems like a lot, but not impossible

It would also make the recent announcement of AMD shipping around 100k Polaris 10 GPU's in the coming weeks sound a lot less impressive. That would mean that Nvidia's been able to get out nearly twice as many of their big boy GPU's out, and that's not even counting the 1060.

Steam currently has more than 150m registered users right? That would make those small percentages pretty big in actual numbers. Does these survey numbers include all Steam users or just the ones that took the survey?

Steam currently has more than 150m registered users right? That would make those small percentages pretty big in actual numbers. Does these survey numbers include all Steam users or just the ones that took the survey?

Just the people who took the survey. I would be weary about using the 150m registered users thing to make assumptions off of, we have no clue how many of those are abandoned accounts or things like smurfs for the F2P games.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have a gtx 645 and i just purchased a 1070 off amazon, so i will be a part of that soon

Arulan

Based on the last time I saw a news report on Steam's users, it should be around 150 million active users, not registered. The registered user number is likely significantly beyond that.

The hardware survey sample size is then whatever number of those active users accepted the hardware survey.

Supposedly over 4 million GTX 970 have been sold per a previous Nvidia financial report and that's our ~5% of the Steam install base. So if we want to extrapolate questionable math using this number to ~0.3%, we can take 0.3 / 5 = 0.066 x 4,000,000 and arrive at 264,000.

The math seems completely plausible. We know now that not only was it no "paper launch", it was Nvidia's biggest high end launch ever. A number of ~264k 1080 sold and roughly the same number, maybe slightly more, 1070 sold in a shorter period of time seems completely possible.

Top Bottom