• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 970/980 replaced by Pascal with GDDR5X at Computex

Kezen

Banned
Do we have any idea how much vram Nvidia will be going with?
I would say 8gb standard. There are games which are very VRAM hungry, even at 1080p.

I hope for X80 to be at least 20% faster than 980Ti on average because this way I'll be able to justify the upgrade. Anything less and I'll just wait for GP100 parts.
20% faster than a 980ti would put it a X80 80% faster than the 980. That would be quite a jump.
I'm not expecting that much.

Bust Nak

By "direct replacement for the Geforce GTX 970," does it mean the new Pascal "1070" card will have the performance on par with the current card? Or does it mean the new card will be aimed at the same market that the 970 was aimed at? It's really disappointing if there isn't a significant performance.

KKRT00

By "direct replacement for the Geforce GTX 970," does it mean the new Pascal "1070" card will have the performance on par with the current card? Or does it mean the new card will be aimed at the same market that the 970 was aimed at? It's really disappointing if there isn't a significant performance.

Oh course new x70 will be faster than 970, that is without a doubt.

dr_rus

20% faster than a 980ti would put it a X80 80% faster than the 980. That would be quite a jump.
I'm not expecting that much.

The difference between a reference 980 and reference 980Ti is definitely less than 60% and is closer to 20-30% depending on the resolution. 40-50% jump over 980 seems quite possible in my opinion.

What it most likely means is that 970 and 980 (and 980Ti possibly) cards will be taken off the market and replaced by the new cards with better performance and different pricing. I.e. don't expect a 1070 for $300 - I don't think that this will happen, it'll probably cost more than that.

LostDonkey

Time to take bets on whether GTX 1080 actually becomes a name or not

dacd97fa-f1ae-4631-8c9b-dbc7e58fcad4.jpg

Durante

I wonder if they'll match the outstanding price/performance that the 970 had at its release with the new "70" model. I think that killed off their 980 sales a bit, but it also might have gotten people to upgrade who otherwise wouldn't have.

So there wont be a budget-ish card with HBM2? Not even 980 level? God dammit.
The type of memory a card uses is not, in and of itself, a performance metric. If they can supply a balanced amount of bandwidth (compared to GPU power) with a different type of memory there wouldn't be a huge advantage for HBM2 anyway.

Well based on the picture of the cooler shrouds for the 1070 & 1080, which is the most legitimate leak we have seen sofar, this isn't really a far fetched rumor.

Theonik

About what people expected. GP104 in the summer taking the x80 slot and actual high-end GP100 to come later.

jrcbandit

The 1080 will replace the 980 ti and 1070 the 970. Now the question remains is if the 1080 will be priced like the 980 or 980ti since the "true" 980ti replacement (full Pascal card GP100 with HBM2) won't be available until 2017.

I wonder if they'll match the outstanding price/performance that the 970 had at its release with the new "70" model. I think that killed off their 980 sales a bit, but it also might have gotten people to upgrade who otherwise wouldn't have.

The type of memory a card uses is not, in and of itself, a performance metric. If they can supply a balanced amount of bandwidth (compared to GPU power) with a different type of memory there wouldn't be a huge advantage for HBM2 anyway.

Why does everyone go on about HBM 2 like it's the second coming then?

Plum

If I can get around 1.5x the performance of a 980 ti for £550 or so I'll start saving straight away. Now they just need to announce these things, I'm getting antsy over here.

Zojirushi

What's alternative though? Ridiculously overprice the whole line?

Pineapple

Do we know anything about the branding for Pascal cards yet?

Is it assumed at this point that they will be labelled as the GTX 1080, 1070, etc?

Durante

Why does everyone go on about HBM 2 like it's the second coming then?
It has the potential to deliver the bandwidth requirements of extremely high end 2017 and beyond GPUs. It's also advantageous for small form factors and integration.

But for a mid- to high-end discrete GPU in 2016, it's not like you couldn't satisfy its bandwidth requirements with more traditional memory.

No, but they could have a (relatively) higher performance drop from the "80" to the "70" model. This was the case in many series previous to the 900 one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely looking to upgrade my GTX 970.

Assuming it reviews well, I'll probably go for the 980 Ti replacement card.

Odrion

Banned
Does direct replacement mean 1070s and 1080s that are beefier than their predecessors or something like 1050s/1060s with the power of the 970/980?

I have a GTX 760. I'm looking to upgrade, was thinking around May. Would upgrading to something before this be a bad idea? I'm willing to drop around $500 or so. Pretty flexible.

Edit: I know details are murky on these cards, but I'm just wondering if I'd be okay upgrading early.

I have a GTX 760. I'm looking to upgrade, was thinking around May. Would upgrading to something before this be a bad idea? I'm willing to drop around $500 or so. Pretty flexible.

Edit: I know details are murky on these cards, but I'm just wondering if I'd be okay upgrading early.

If you feel like you REALLY need to upgrade, than do it. But otherwise you really might wanna wait for Nvidias and AMDs GPUs.

So there wont be a budget-ish card with HBM2? Not even 980 level? God dammit.

As far as we know, HBM2 will be a thing for roughly the ~end of the year, i.e. a little to late for Nvidia and AMD to use in 2016 GPUs. It's to be expected though that 2017 GPUs in performance+ class will use HBM2.

Can't wait for the pascal 980ti/titan, I'll finally make the jump from my good ol i7 930 and HD5850. Can't believe it's been 6 years already since I bought it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Will this mean they will stop supporting 970 and 980 the way they did with the 700 series cards? The 780 Ti performs quite averagely lately.

dr_rus

Define "ridiculously overprice".
If say 1070 will perform better than 980 and will cost $450 which is $50 less than 980 cost right now will this be "ridiculously overpriced" or not?
What may happen is pretty much the same what happened back in Kepler days: 1080 for $500+, 1070 for $400 and 1060Ti for $300.

A a couple of aluminium blocks, some hoses and a bottle of milk and you too will have an indrustial cnc mill at home.

Haha. Truth is these may be real but it doesn't mean that the branding has been decided upon already. There are always lots of prototypes.

Define "ridiculously overprice".
If say 1070 will perform better than 980 and will cost $450 which is $50 less than 980 cost right now will this be "ridiculously overpriced" or not?
What may happen is pretty much the same what happened back in Kepler days: 1080 for $500+, 1070 for $400 and 1060Ti for $300.

Haha. Truth is these may be real but it doesn't mean that the branding has been decided upon already. There are always lots of prototypes.

Im hoping for sub $400.

McHuj

Can't wait ready to move on from my 970.

My personal expectations are

1070 ~ 980Ti performance + 0-5% (similar to the 780ti vs 970), $399
1080 ~ 980Ti performance + 20-30%, $549

Jonm1010

Banned
Can't wait ready to move on from my 970.

My personal expectations are

1070 ~ 980Ti performance + 0-5% (similar to the 780ti vs 970), $399
1080 ~ 980Ti performance + 20-30%, $549

If they can keep the wattage to 970 levels, I may still get some life out of my aging X51 box and can upgrade my 970 that replaced the 660.

I wonder if it will be worth me upgrading from a GTX 970 for gaming primarily at 1080p. I guess you could basically guarantee 60FPS with all settings maxed on the 970 replacement. I am on the verge of canceling my Rift preorder and going an upgrade route. I currently have an i7 860 which is honestly a fine CPU, though I would like to move to a 4690K. Doing so would save me having to move to DDR4 with Skylake and offer basically the same performance. I could get a new motherboard, CPU and GPU for less than the Rift costs in Canada.

Well I got a GTX780, so Im def gonna upgrade, and I will be looking at the Titan X class of pascal card they have. I going big boy style this time.

Top Bottom