• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 970/980 replaced by Pascal with GDDR5X at Computex

Skenzin

Banned
I think it will shake out.
1060 - 4GB ;slightly above 970 $299
1070 - 6GB ;slightly above 980ti $399
1080 - 8GB ;slightly above titanx $599

Quonny

Personally waiting for the 980ti replacement. Come to daddy. If it's not for a while I'll buy a new monitor.

Can't wait ready to move on from my 970.

My personal expectations are

1070 ~ 980Ti performance + 0-5% (similar to the 780ti vs 970), $399
1080 ~ 980Ti performance + 20-30%, $549

Both 970 and 780ti were on the same nose as well. We're getting a new architecture and a new node so expectations should be high.

Agreed on both (though hopefully a little less for the 1070, and then a price drop when amd release their new stuff)

(idk what it is with gaf prediction threads and the insistence on ever increasing prices, are you all going to predict a 499 dollar price for the 1170? and then 599 for the 1270?)

I definitely expect the 1070 to match a stock 980ti

From the data in the OP: if they do a ~150-165Watt gtx 1070 with stock 980ti performance and 320GB memory bandwidth for about 300-350 euros (so basically another gtx 970 but on 16nm) then I'm in.

My gtx 970 is already starting to feel long in the tooth and the coil whine drives me up the wall.

That little bit about the 980ti replacement is interesting, are they really going to release gp100 right away? that would be awesome...

J-Rzez

Need some solid specs, not speculation at this point. That said, if these "Pascal's" end up like this, I'll be waiting on AMD, hoping somehow they have some HBM2 goodness.

Mr_Moogle

256 bit memory bus seems a bit lame to me. Even my three year old 280X has a 384-bit memory bus.

I may as well buy a GTX 970 Ti and sell it off a year or two later when HBM2 finally hits. I was hoping I wouldn't have to double dip but I'm not sure I want to run my 280X for another 2 years.

I just bought a 960 as a stop gap GPU for this. Maybe I should cancel my order and wait to see how this shakes out. Don't really want to wait that long though. Thought I'd be waiting until the fall but may is too close. Is it confirmed May?

Locuza

256 bit memory bus seems a bit lame to me.

Even my three year old 280X has a 384-bit memory bus.
280X = 384-Bit x 6 Gbps / 8 = 288 Gb/s

256-Bit x 10-12 Gbps / 8 = 320-384 Gb/s
(Micron is shipping 10-12 Gbps GDDR5X chips first)

On top of raw bandwidth there is a Delta-Color-Compression for more effective bandwidth and there is also more L2-Cache, backing things up in addition.

Everyone can look at the Nvidia 960 GTX, this thing uses just 128-Bit and brings a good amount of power on the table, with the configuration it uses.

Renekton

I am very interested in the mGPU front.

Mainstream mobile gaming has been sitting at 860m-960m range for some time.

Watevaman

I just replaced my broken 570 with a 960 because I can't afford a full mobo and CPU change right now. Hoping that I can last a year or two with my current setup and by the time I want to upgrade again, these cards are affordable to me.

SomTervo

As soon as the 970 replacement is released I'll be building my new PC. GPU is pretty much the only thing holding me back at this point. I have the money, I just don't want to get a 970 at this point (if I did build now, I'd just put the 960 in my current PC in the machine and use that until Pascal released).

Exactly same here. I'm on a 960 and while it's great, it plays plenty of things I like perfectly, I'm going to be leaping as soon as the new cards are out.

I think I'll even go to the 980 analog. Make a big leap for VR :)

Yeah, this would be awesome.

Hope they are pretty small....I have a Mini ITX with a small Zotac GTX 970.

But I would upgrade for more VR power ;)

I love that card.

If the prices aren't too high ($400 or around there) I'll definitely be upgrading this year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Another 960 user playing the waiting game. I like the card, but it's not enough for today's games in my opinion. I want better.

I've got enough socked away for the 970 successor, but am thinking of going higher. Seeing these expectations make me pretty damn excited.

My 970 is getting pretty old now. Really wanting to upgrade, especially since I just got a 4k monitor. At least it's running wow at 4k right now lol. I'm scared to try another game with it :p

McHuj

399 and above 980Ti performance? that would be amazing but I don't think so.

What's so unbelievable about that?

970 did that to the 780Ti and so did the 670 vs 580. New architectures in both and a node transition in the latter.

Hellgardia

Even though i have a gtx970, i may upgrade to a x70 if it has 980ti or better levels of performance (for the right price ofc)...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
At the rate Nvidia is going I wouldn't be surprised.

The 970, 980 and 980 Ti actually had cheaper launch prices than their 700 series forebears. The 970 launched at $329 (versus $399 for the 770), the 980 at $549 (versus $649 for the 780) and the 980 Ti at $649 (versus $699 for the 780 Ti). I wouldn't expect history to repeat itself, but Pascal's launch prices being higher than Kepler's strikes me as decidedly unlikely.

DZ_b_EZ

I can't do it. I think I might cave this coming week on a R9 Fury. I've been sleeping on top of $440, stuffed in an envelope in between my mattresses, for the past two weeks.

I can't take this waiting anymore!!

I think I'll just upgrade again next year. I need to play Rise of Tomb Raider but can't do it with 4GB 770.

The End

My 760 is starting to show its age.

Rather than bothering with a 960 at this point, I'm waiting on a X60 4Gb card this fall. My hope is that it's slotted right into that $200-250 sweet spot.

Kezen

Banned
A 50% performance increase would be pretty shocking (to me). I expect it'll be more like 25%. Would be nice to be wrong though.

We are talking about a change of node. It might not bring improvements of yore but I think 50% is most definitely achievable, perhaps more due to architecture efficiency improvements.

A 50% performance increase would be pretty shocking (to me). I expect it'll be more like 25%. Would be nice to be wrong though.

Nvidia squeezed like a 50 percent improvement out of maxwell just from a new architecture on the same 28nm node

Now there's a switch from 28nm to 16nm ff+ (and another architecture change, though we don't know how much different it is from maxwell)

It's not going to be 25 percent, 50 percent is probably lowballing it.

Top Bottom