• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Guardian] Cristiano Ronaldo snub wipes billions off Coca-Cola’s market value

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The Coke hate here is disgusting. Fuck you all.
Waterboy GIF by memecandy

Batiman

Banned
I understand the notion that water is healthy, but what makes Cola "poison"?
10 scoops of sugar a bottle? When 6 is the recommended daily intake by health organizations. Diabetes? I stopped drinking soda like 6 years ago and now I find them disgusting.

Birdo

Banned
I'm English and still not a fan.

To be fair, it does have some shit in it like fluoride and chlorine 🤷‍♂️

The only way to get pure, chemical-free water, would be to climb a mountain and get some spring water. And that's far too much hassle for me.

Last edited:

llien

10 scoops of sugar a bottle? When 6 is the recommended daily intake by health organizations. Diabetes? I stopped drinking soda like 6 years ago and now I find them disgusting.
Isn't apple/orange juice also unhealthy by that metric? (bottle of which size by the way?)

And what about sugar free ones.

Batiman

Banned
Isn't apple/orange juice also unhealthy by that metric? (bottle of which size by the way?)

Ya most juice is just as bad. Most. People got to be more aware of their sugar intake. Water is all you need. A glass of coke for dinner or whatever ms not gonna kill you but people drink that garbage all day like water

Orpheum

Tapwater in my City is fucking Godlike. Get this softdrink dogshit out of my face

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There’s times to drink a coke (movie theater) athletes are known to drink water, different industries.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

On a calorie per ml basis, juice is no better than pop. It can actually be a bit more. And unlike pop, there is no zero calorie orange juice. The argument for juice though is that it has tons of vitamin C and whatever vitamins and minerals are in OJ or apple juice.

People don't know this, but milk has more calories than pop and juice on a per ml basis. Maybe that super low fat skim milk doesn't, but most of the milk you see like 2%, 3% fat milk has more calories.

Last edited:

McCheese

And do you think it will be sooner, or later?

Well I'm a fair bit past middle-age already, kids have grown up etc. so I'll just keep guzzling them at this point, and that's without taking into account the copious amounts of caffeine I drink from coffee.

If I suddenly stop posting one-day, feel free to use me as an example of how not to live ones life.

* Grabs another Dr.Pepper *

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
On a calorie per ml basis, juice is no better than pop. It can actually be a bit more. And unlike pop, there is no zero calorie orange juice. The argument for juice though is that it has tons of vitamin C and whatever vitamins and minerals are in OJ or apple juice.

People don't know this, but milk has more calories than pop and juice on a per ml basis. Maybe that super low fat skim milk doesn't, but most of the milk you see like 2%, 3% fat milk has more calories.
You know that stuff like « zero calorie », or « fat free », is code word for junk food without the guilt?
There’s no place where soda is better than fresh fruit juice, apart your wildest dreams. So I’ll tread lightly because I see now that I thread on your dream…
I’m not saying that fresh fruit juice is unconditionally good for you, but better than sodas, which are not unconditionally bad, for sure.
And I know what I’m talking about, my wife was leading a national public awareness effort to improve the health of our children back in 2010.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm a huge pop fan, it's probably my favorite thing in the world to consume but he is totally right. Pop is awful for you.... But delicious

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know that stuff like « zero calorie », or « fat free », is code word for junk food without the guilt?
There’s no place where soda is better than fresh fruit juice, apart your wildest dreams. So I’ll tread lightly because I see now that I thread on your dream…
I’m not saying that fresh fruit juice is unconditionally good for you, but better than sodas, which are not unconditionally bad, for sure.
And I know what I’m talking about, my wife was leading a national public awareness effort to improve the health of our children back in 2010.
I never said pop is better. So get off your high horse.

I was just saying on calorie count metrics, juice and milk can be more than pop.

Most milk is higher calories than both pop and juice, but is obviously much healthier for you.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm a huge pop fan, it's probably my favorite thing in the world to consume but he is totally right. Pop is awful for you.... But delicious
An ice cold pop or beer with a pizza and wings watching sports cant be beat.

If someone wants to relax and drink water, boiled white meat chicken and carrot sticks, thats fine. Eat what you feel like to impress others while forcing yourself to meet BMI index charts.

Or eat what you want within reason, be happy, and don't worry what other people think.

It's amazing how scared people are. At work when we'd have office parties and some nice chow ordered in, some people dont want to touch it because they think catered food or pizza is the devil and they cant even join in for a day of good eats. They want it, they sniff around, and then have willpower to go back to their desk and eat a ham sandwich and veggie sticks.

It's not even a health issue because most of them look like normal folks. It's not like they are 400 lb blobs who need to cut back. But somehow they got this "I cant east greasy food forever" mentality which they are trying to impress someone or people at home or office. Just chill out. The human gut can process probably more kinds of food than any animal out there. Eating an office lunch of rice, potatoes and souvlaki isn't going to make you get a heart attack in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Well I'm a fair bit past middle-age already, kids have grown up etc. so I'll just keep guzzling them at this point, and that's without taking into account the copious amounts of caffeine I drink from coffee.

If I suddenly stop posting one-day, feel free to use me as an example of how not to live ones life.

* Grabs another Dr.Pepper *
I'll say that Dr. Pepper is pretty damn tasty. It's the sugar that would mess me up though.

I've detoxed from large amounts of sugar for quite some years now, and it's been much better for me overall.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I drink Powerade because it's healthy and makes my muscles bigger for athletic performance. I drink one per day instead of taking a multivitamin.

Kadve

And now The UEFA are threatening to sue teams if any of their players pull similar stunts. (Makes sense when you think about it, this could be seen as a contract breach and make them forced to pay back sponsorhip money to Coca-Cola)

Reactions: Gp1

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Can anyone tell me what are the positives and negatives of fresh fruit juice? I enjoy drinking home made orange juice instead of straight eating oranges, and usually stick with water or tea otherwise.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I never said pop is better. So get off your high horse.

I was just saying on calorie count metrics, juice and milk can be more than pop.

Most milk is higher calories than both pop and juice, but is obviously much healthier for you.
I came a in a bit hot, I admit…
I thought that you were implying that soda were healthier due to the lower calories count… Because that what the junk food marketing do, telling you they got rid of some shit so you can feel better, when it was in fact replaced by something as unhealthy, or worse.
Like a politician who congratulates himself for getting rid of petty theft in his town, when at the same time murder tripled up…
Edit : and for the record my wife didn’t lead a national awareness campaign on obesity in 2010, as I in truth am not Barack Obama

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what are the positives and negatives of fresh fruit juice? I enjoy drinking home made orange juice instead of straight eating oranges, and usually stick with water or tea otherwise.
I think fresh juices are really sugary even though natural. It not good for diabetes to drink only that. It also has less of « the good stuff » (ie vitamins and what not) because it has no fiber. Maybe juice with pulp is better?
Anyway, like all good stuff in life, if you do it moderately you’ll be fine

Zeroing

Banned
Damn we Portuguese like to ruin things… for those who don’t know, the Portuguese island where Christiano is from had a little Coca Cola factory that threaten a Portuguese juice and soda company… local government did not budge from the pressure so the Coca Cola company left.

Damn we Portuguese like to ruin things… for those who don’t know, the Portuguese island where Christiano is from had a little Coca Cola factory that threaten a Portuguese juice and soda company… local government did not budge from the pressure so the Coca Cola company left.

How is that ruining things? Sounds to me like it's protecting things.

xrnzaaas

Beer placement is even more obnoxious. In F1 Carlos Sainz is sponsored by Estrella Galicia (0.0% of course) and it seems he's obligated to carry an empty bottle to promote it. It looked really bad when he scored his maiden podium with McLaren, trying to both the beer bottle, the champagne bottle (from McLaren's sponsor) and the trophy at the same time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Ukraine winger Yarmolenko has no problems with sponsor product placements lol

Hahah. Awesome.

As for Ronaldo doing the Coke thing, I get it he's a health nut and is sticking to his ethics, and he has so much money he doesn't care about Coke money or getting fined, but for sake of industry sometimes you got to shut up and live with it.

You shouldnt do this as advertisers are key organizations footing the bill, and that includes paying normal people normal wages. Ronaldo probably makes $50 or 100M per year in salary and endorsements so he can give Coke the middle finger and let them bail. But got to think of the normal folks.

That would be like me working at manufacturing companies my life and going on videos and FB telling people our product sucks and buy someone else's product. I can freely do that. Even if I didn't care about getting fired, why would I want to possibly mess up the company which other people are happy with working at for a job?

It's like greedy athletes on strike because they want another couple million and delay the season starting or the season cancelling. For every player, there's probably 100 snackbar, guards, parking lot staff and office workers working behind the scenes making normal money and trying the keep the team running and fans happy.

Yet for sake of greed and me-me-me self interests, spit on the rest of employees making a living so they can squeak out an extra 2% of revenue which they already get 60%.

Now someone will say.... "if there's no athletes, there's no team anyway". I get that. But with the mountain they are already on where the players already command big money, you can give some slack and put away the ego and go with the flow so the peons can split the rest of the revenue.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

The positive is that you get to eat unprocessed food (fresh vitamins, no added bullshit), but the negative is that fruit juice is full of fructose (fruit sugar) and stripped of all of its fiber. fructose already enteres your bloodstream very fast and causes huge insulin spikes, which you would not normaly get eating a whole fruit with all of it's fiber in it.

That being said, one glass of fruit juice a day with a meal shouldn't be a problem. However, I wouldn't drink lots of it (say, 1 liter or even half a liter). I'd rather eat the whole fruit, but even that in moderation.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
said above drink it with a meal that has fiber to slow absorption. u don't want too much or too little fiber. otherwise sip it lil by lil & don't chug it all at once. fructose has to hit the liver first & be converted into glucose first before you can utilize it & you don't want to overload it all at once. personally, I use oj in smoothies with berries, bananas, nuts/seeds, greens...etc which has a lot of fiber that makes up for the lack of fiber in the juice

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One drawback of too much juice isn't just the high calories and sugar. I've done my share of gulping lots of OJ or apple juice (or worst, grapefruit juice is the biggest effect). If you down too much juice in a short time, your stomach will feel queasy probably due to to spike in acid. Fresh juice is a heavy drink too even if you strain the pulp from it.

It's a lot easier to drink a lot of water or pop (at least for my stomach). But drink a bunch of OJ and it's gross.

Last edited:

Loope

Do you have a link?
IT might be Ricardo Quaresma, they both grew up on the same team (Sporting), but Quaresma went to Barcelona and Ronaldo to Manchester. Quaresma was never hard working but had a lot of talent, in my opinion at the time he was better than Ronaldo, but he was mentally weak, when things started to shake a bit in Barcelona he just gave up. When Ferguson sit Ronaldo out several times at the beggining because he played a lot with the ball, he worked hard, learnt from it, hit the gym and improved himself year after year.

Top Bottom