• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Guardian] 'There's a gaping hole in our knowledge': the scientists studying why gamers invert their controls

Do you invert your controls?

• Total voters

Shtof

Anyone who plays retro or remember the old days knows that what was default may be inverted now and vice versa. Depends on the type of camera.

MastaKiiLA

BTW, controlling with inverted-Y might seem crazy, but it's completely natural when it's what you feel comfortable with. There's no impact on precision.

I wonder what people who fly RC planes prefer. Are there any RC pilots who use normal-Y on 3D games? I would find that interesting. In theory, you could also invert the elevator servo on an RC plane, but that would be a disaster if you let another pilot fly it.

the_master

You just learn one way and use it, I have changed my inverted habits 3 times in my life. And I could change again if I wanted to, I would need about a week of adaptation period. You just get used to any of the 2 mappings. I woudl argue that if there was a use, we could get used to inverting any other axix as well. We just wire our brain to map one button or axix to one thing.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Its not that hard to figure out.

I grew up playing flight simulators and while flying IRL, or in sims, Flight Sticks are "Inverted" by default. Therefor I invert joysticks because it feels natural after so many years.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Wait a second, has anyone found evidence that inverters are all straight white males yet? This could possibly be a patriarchal thing, or even racism!

Jeeves

I hear you guys bewildered by X-inversion, but a lot of games do that by default. Animal Crossing for example, uses inverted X-axis. I prefer X un-inverted, but unlike Y it's easy for me to go back and forth with X.

Inverted X in a third-person game feels like...spinning a plate to the left to bring the right edge of it closer to you. I don't know if I could do first-person X-inversion though.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
do you point your eyes down when you want to look up?

If you were controlling their movement manually from behind them (analogous to manually moving a stick to change visual focus of a camera in front of it), then yes, you would pull down on them to make the eye look upward, like you do for television cameras.

Last edited:
I can't think of the last time I've ever had to change a game from the default stick controls. I tend to play games in such an abstracted way that I can't even relate to thinking about how the character's head or eyes would move or anything.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Controller stays the same...I invert my TV when necessary
4oscjp.jpg

Esppiral

It depends on were your imaginary head axis is, if it is in front of the equator then default control will fit you if it is behind the equator, then invented makes sense to you.

I think for me the sticks don't represent "up and down" but "forwards and back".

Given that, only inverted makes sense.
Yeah how are you holding the controller - think about the left stick when you press it forward so you jump, pull it back and crouch? No.

June

It's not deep. People just use and then accustomed to a particular style. That's it.
The fact that people can just as easily relearn the opposite approach tells you that no method is inherently better or genetic, or anything like that.

I like the bit in the article about how visual cues inform our behaviour as I have found myself using inverted on the very odd occassion in specific scenarios, so I can agree visuals can impact our decision making in some way.

Boglin

I can use both but I used to be strictly inverted. I learned to use "normal" because it was easier not having to change control schemes at lan parties when players would switch out.

mr.dilya

Banned
Always invert Y. If I’m on mouse and keyboard I leave it alone.

they need to make it the default again when playing with a game pad.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

I think it was Goldeneye with the C buttons being inverted for me. But inverted just feels natural now.

Many have mentioned it's like imagining the thumbstick is on the back of your character's head.

Mentally what I'm doing is controlling the pitch of the camera, if you've ever operated one on a tripod then you know to move the control arm down to aim the camera up and vice versa.

non inverted feels like I'm trying to pan the camera but from a fixed point. It breaks my brain.

June

If you were controlling their movement manually from behind them (analogous to manually moving a stick to change visual focus of a camera in front of it), then yes, you would pull down on them to make the eye look upward, like you do for television cameras.

You would also need to invert the x-axis if you follow that reasoning, but so many people dont, so this reasoning doesnt hold up. Fact is inverted use is pretty much entirely arbitrary, people just stuck with whatever they got used to first and they could just as easily learn any other scheme with a little bit of time and use

Nymphae

Banned
You would also need to invert the x-axis if you follow that reasoning, but so many people dont, so this reasoning doesnt hold up. Fact is inverted use is pretty much entirely arbitrary, people just stuck with whatever they got used to first and they could just as easily learn any other scheme with a little bit of time and use

It is certainly interesting. Sometimes I do use inverted X for camera in some games, but yeah generally I only invert Y axis for FPS, and the logic should be the same for the X axis but it isn't.

It's funny though how serious people take this, I was taking shit from my friends the other day when we were playing CoD and they kept having to change the invert every match when I handed them the controller, they both prefer non inverted and were like what's wrong with you you use the wrong scheme, THIS ISN'T THE DEFAULT YOU ARE WRONG lol

Fuz

Banned
I used to play with inverted Y in Quake 2 times. Not sure why. One day I thought it was stupid and decided to switch.

I think I was more precise. Weird.

June

It is certainly interesting. Sometimes I do use inverted X for camera in some games, but yeah generally I only invert Y axis for FPS, and the logic should be the same for the X axis but it isn't.

It's funny though how serious people take this, I was taking shit from my friends the other day when we were playing CoD and they kept having to change the invert every match when I handed them the controller, they both prefer non inverted and were like what's wrong with you you use the wrong scheme, THIS ISN'T THE DEFAULT YOU ARE WRONG lol

Yeah haha I've experienced the same. A few years back I switched to regular after being a life-long inverter so I've experienced both my regular control friends looking at me in disgust when I used inverted and my inverted friends thinking they are hot shit that they use inverted and that I don't. There's definetely a bit of a hipster mentality with inverted users - I used to be the kind of the same tbh but ever since I switched I realised how arbitrary the schemes are so I don't really care anymore

To be fair it IS really annoying when people use different schemes and you're in a situation where you share the controllers between eachother and keep having to change the controls

Last edited:

itsArtie

Yes, when flying. Feels really good (on a controller). I'm not gonna invert controls in a first-person shooter, that's weird.

Top Bottom