• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the galaxy, is this movie really good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

I sat through about 30 minutes of it, but I couldn't tolerate any more than that. I thought it was really, really bad.

Gaf really loves this movie but I thought it was pretty disappointing, especially since my hype for it was through the roof before it came out. I think it's partially because at the time there weren't really any big space adventure films so this film came out at the right time and it scratched that itch for a lot of people so they tend to rate it a bit high. The jokes were standard marvel and the plot felt very rushed and it only felt like an excuse to move from 1 set piece to another. I thought it was pretty mediocre, not bad by any stretch but nothing amazing.

dramatis

How hard is it to remember things? Apparently very difficult. Off the top of my head I can think of a few (maybe all?) of the action scenes even though I only saw it once a year ago.

Overall I didn't like the action and thought it was the weakest part of the film (and more often than not, the weakest part of most Marvel films). The jokes and moments surrounding those scenes were always better than the actual fights. I would say it was below the average quality of the action in the movies following The Avengers.
I'd say it's pretty hard to remember average to poor action scenes, yes. The scenes weren't bad but they weren't outstanding either. So at best you can only call them serviceable, which isn't exactly the kind of label for memorable action scenes.

I have no problem remembering Ip Man fight scenes, for instance. Because they really were that good. I didn't think Ip Man was an exceptionally good movie and I saw it only once.

Your sarcasm about how difficult it must be to remember the action in Guardians would work better if you didn't rag on the action in your next paragraph.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
All this time and OP never watched the movie and came back to post their thoughts.

26k9Td7.gif

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It made me realize that I really wasn't enjoying the MCU movies, and I decided I don't need to watch them anymore.

It's a good movie I guess, but I found it really really boring. I was fidgeting in the seat the whole time, my brain screaming "just get on with it!". And that seems to be my reaction every time I see a marvel movie.

I don't know, they just aren't for me, and Guardians is no different. If you like those movies, it will probably be good for you.

Abounder

Banned
The Forrest Gump-like soundtrack made the movie fun enough. Which is huge for a MCU movie considering the crappy music selection overall

I fell for the hype and thought it would be a fun movie experience to share with my mum.

At the end of the second act my mum whispered to me in good humour: "This is a load of rubbish."

I completely agreed with her.

Why was Benicio Del Toro even in this movie? He didn't do anything of interest apart from wear a ridiculous costume.

ATF487

It's OK, C+. I have a hard time getting excited about any of these Marvel movies, from the few I've seen they're always entertaining but thoroughly unremarkable.

WillyFive

Why was Benicio Del Toro even in this movie? He didn't do anything of interest apart from wear a ridiculous costume.

It's an ensemble cast; where big names appear to play relatively minor roles. He plays a rather important character in the MCU, even if he has little screentime in each of the movies he's in.

The movie itself is pretty generic cliche junk, but its saved by the characters. If it weren't for the fun characters, the movie would have been pretty shitty really as the plot and script were pretty bad.

It was a fun movie, but it wasn't as fresh or exciting as MCU fans would lead you to believe. It follows much of the same plot beats and structure as every other MCU origin flick.

Aaron

While I liked it overall, I really disliked that the main female character had to constantly be saved, and could only be allowed to fight another woman.

Aselith

It's a middle-of-the-road film on par with your average Marvel matinee that you'll forget the plot details to a week after you've seen it.

Whoops. I mean it's a film shifting the cinematic landscape of Hollywood.

This is true but also all of the actors are so fun and watchable that it doesn't really matter. It's a good time.

Romez

Fun entertaining film but I thought it was overrated, at least from what people were telling me and all the hype I heard.

Circinus

Not the biggest fan of Marvel Studios / superhero films, but I really enjoyed it. :) (going by this thread, quite a few people share this opinion I see :) )

I'd say it's the best MCU film by quite a margin.

Wouldn't say it's a masterpiece (far from it) or anything like that, but it's a great, fun romp. Plot isn't original, but the dynamic of the characters and of the film as a whole makes it fun to watch.

It's okay. The film equivelant of junk food.

Edit: and the groot shit is not funny

I agree with this though.

It's fun, not good, just fun.

MCU ratings
Good- Iron Man, Winter Soldier
Fun- Avengers, GotG
Mediocre- All of the ones not named
Bad- Thor 2, Incredible Hulk

Have not scene AoU or Ant-Man yet

I agree with this, but I would place Avengers in bad or mediocre. (and haven't seen AoU or Ant-Man yet either :p)

While I liked it overall, I really disliked that the main female character had to constantly be saved, and could only be allowed to fight another woman.
She gets saved once, and rips a dudes arm off. She doesn't "fight" the big bad head on, but none of them do.

I had no idea up until now that a "good" plot had to be in place for a movie to be entertaining.

"Its garbage", "no plot", or "not funny". I have even read "its too dark and dreary". One of these three things is always prevalent in threads about this movie with no explanation. The salt can be hilarious sometimes.

You forgot generic. If you have nothing interesting to say about a film, generic is the perfect word.

Macka

It's good. Chris Pratt is super charismatic and really drives the movie, but the rest of the characters feel kinda shallow tbh. Villain is terrible too.

Socreges

Banned
This thread is going to be disproportionally filled with Marvel fans telling you how great the movie is. Don't expect objective responses, OP.
What makes your response objective, seeking to invalidate all opinions that disagree with you? I'm not a Marvel fan and I thought the movie was great. Didn't actually realize it was connected to the "MCU" at first.

Edit-

I know what you mean, but I will try to read between the lines :)
Hah! What a silly thread this is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom