• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the galaxy, is this movie really good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought the first trailer(s) looked really silly with a talking raccoon. I ended up really liking it and seeing it at least twice. My personal reasons for liking it:

• Great soundtrack (I ordered the soundtrack after watching the movie)
  • Chris Pratt was charismatic and funny as the lead.
  • Drax was hilariously deadpan.
  • Rocket the raccoon and groot were surprisingly funny.
  • Overall the tone of the movie was lighthearted and fun, like Han Solo on some sort of wacky adventure in his younger days, which is a nice contrast for me to some other movies which try to be very dark and serious (the Dark Knight series for example).

In summary, I felt it was a pretty-looking, nice-soundtrack-having, decently-acted, amusingly-written, scifi-space light comedy, and I tend to enjoy those aspects in movies.

Eh. I mean I thought it was okay. Certainly better than most Marvel movies. But like most Marvel movies it felt overlong, overstuffed with characters, and overly fussed with (like the script was co-written by 15 people who all wanted their pet idea to be prominent). Serenity is a similar movie that is roughly 1000 times better.

HarryKS

Thought only the first 15 mins ( mother+son episode) were very good, then it descended into a by the numbers sci-fi affair. It's adequate but nothing more.

You still have to form your own opinion over a movie. You have to watch it yourself.

This thread is going to be disproportionally filled with Marvel fans telling you how great the movie is. Don't expect objective responses, OP.

What makes your response objective, seeking to invalidate all opinions that disagree with you? I'm not a Marvel fan and I thought the movie was great. Didn't actually realize it was connected to the "MCU" at first.
I would consider myself (somewhat) of a Marvel fan and was grossly disappointed, itbt. I even saw it twice because I felt it deserved aa other chance.

In short, I thought it suffered tonal problems and felt rushed. It could have used an extra 1/2 hour to better flesh out some concepts, especially the relationships among the main characters.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Feels like a parody after watching the really superior and authentic superhero movie like Winter Soldier. WS shits all over it.

Hieberrr

It's a fun movie that shouldn't be taken too seriously. The ending was absolutely terrible though.

The soundtrack is A+.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wasn't that impressed with it... was expecting more, honestly. Humor fell super flat for me.

It was just okay.

Hyun Sai

First part until the prison is decent, after that it's cliche and gullible (the ending, Jesus), even by Marvel standards, and that's saying something.

Good film for the kids, otherwise a big disappointment.

TipsyArchmage

Neo Member
I liked most of it

but the final act was such a boring drawn out action scene like literally every marvel movie has and it wasn't interesting at alllll. It kind of soured me on the whole movie really

- Grand majority of aliens were humanoids
- Terrible villain
- Terrible villain gets thing and then is stopped by the power of fam
- Dialogue was meh and forced (I get it, you're all about dat fam)
- Never understood the "great space opera" comments (wasn't much space in the movie besides the celestial head part)
- Never feel danger
- Entire movie designed to give Thanos and the Infinite Stones a story (this was more their movie)
- English truly is a universal language

Movie is "fun" in the sense that is all it has. It's hard to articulate the "fun" portion but it generally comes down to the music. If you want to see a space action adventure that feels like an Indiana Jones movie but with forced themes and fam then you will like it. If you're looking for something with substance then steer clear.

Guardians is great. Really really great. Much better than it should be.

And pretty sophisticated in its use of humor to define the characters.

My biggest problem with the movie (well, aside from Ronan) is that they lost some of Drax's literal-ness by the end of the movie. How did Drax not say anything to "Give a shit"? There's another bit where Rocket scolds Drax, but I can't remember the exact line.

If they wanted to move the character away from his literal-ness, that's fine, but he just suddenly stops responding to those phrases because . . . reasons? (note: I still like the movie a lot overall, but those missed opportunities bum me out a bit.)

I mean it's entertaining for sure, and Chris Pratt is pretty great. But i would hesitate to call it
good.

Definetly worth a watch though.

Zetta

The beginning of the movie speaks for how great it was. I knew I was in for something special right from the get go.

Forkball

It's fun but it's no Star Wars. One thing that bugged me was how boring the locals were. The principle settings are a sterile city, a dirty prison (complete with jumpsuits) and a mining town. Those set pieces could fit into any movie set in any era.

Batista was hilarious though, easily the best part of the film.

Qasiel

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt like a great break from the usual "serious" tone that comic book movies have been going for for a while now, and it's great visuals, brilliant soundtrack and fun dialogue just added up to become my favourite MCU movie.

Already looking forward to the sequel.

- English truly is a universal language
Funny thing about that actually, nobody is speaking English in GoTG as they're wearing translator implants. It's a small detail that is extremely easy to miss though.
xv42KSa.png

G-Fex

It's fun but it's no Star Wars. One thing that bugged me was how boring the locals were. The principle settings are a sterile city, a dirty prison (complete with jumpsuits) and a mining town. Those set pieces could fit into any movie set in any era.

Yeah with all this stuff I thought it was really just ehh...I didn't care. I didn't care about anyone in the movie. None of those 'guardians' Pratt's character wasn't really great at all. There's stuff and things happen but really I wasn't really interested in what transpired.

ElTopo

Banned
Way better than Star Wars. Star Wars is just lame and Chewbacca and the Ewoks are fucking stupid. I thought that as a kid and I still think that today.

Uncle

It has the basic problems of a Marvel movie, formulaic plot, under developed villain etc. If those are a big deal for you, you might not like it. Other than that, it's good. It's funny and the setting & cast of characters feel fresh. Plus the soundtrack and how it ties to the story is really well done.

MikeyB

Good action minus the Carebear stare resolution. Some OK dialogue. It's a solid movie to watch if you're in the mood for something braindead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom