• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Guatemala is about to become a "safe third country", ending the illegal immigration crisis

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Guatemala is about to sign a "safe third country" agreement with the US:

So looks like Trump will effectively have the "wall" without building a real wall.
My worry is that this will be challenged in the courts. But which court? Is there an "United Nations" court that can actually stop Trump if they don't like what he is doing?

Last edited:

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Guatemala is about to sign a "safe third country" agreement with the US:

So looks like Trump will effectively have the "wall" without building a real wall.
My worry is that this will be challenged in the courts. But which court? Is there an "United Nations" court that can actually stop Trump if they don't like what he is doing?
The UN can't force anyone to do anything. It's completely toothless.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So somehow it will be racist to send people to a safe third country made up of people similar to them as opposed to the Nazi concentration camps staffed by the modern day SS ICE. I am sure thats how AOC and the media will spin this.

Its clear as day the Dems will oppose anything that stops their gravy train of illegal voters. The whole issue is manufactured to break the US and decriminalize illegal border crossings and amnesty everyone that is already here.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
I don't know why we can't just give every illegal immigrant a free mansion and a lifetime supply of food. I'd pay a 90% tax rate while living in a cardboard box to make that happen because it's only fair.
UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANT, you racist fuck :p

• LOL
Reactions: Grinchy

crowbrow

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2019
How the fuck is Guatemala going to handle this? They are a poor country riddled with social problems. Whoever made this deal there is an idiot.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
How the fuck is Guatemala going to handle this? They are a poor country riddled with social problems. Whoever made this deal there is an idiot.
Well since most people are just going to scam the US, I would imagine there would be a reduction of 80% off the bat.
We all know the vast majority are economic migrants.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
I am unaware that an asylum seeker who immigrates into another country is not called an immigrant any more.
Oh no problem, I can educate you.

Asylum Seeker was never called an immigrant in the first place, thats why we use 'Aslum seeker' .- Someone that has to flee their country unwillingly due to violence. When they arrive in the country they are a refugee.
Immigrant - someone who voluntary leaves their country to live in another.

But you already knew this.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
I think one big problem is there is no clear definition of what defines an asylum seeker is and what are the valid reasons for seeking asylum.

Is trying to get away from criminal gangs enough of a reason? If so then there are areas in Los Angeles and Baltimore where people are living under gang violence all the time. Can Americans from these cities claim asylum Europe because their life is threatened by gangs? If you say no, then what's the difference between gangs in LA and gangs in Guatemala?

I mean here's what Wikipedia says about seeking asylum in the US:
Asylum has two basic requirements. First, an asylum applicant must establish that he or she fears persecution in their home country.[4] Second, the applicant must prove that he or she would be persecuted on account of one of five protected grounds: race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group.
I see nothing there about running away from crime, gangs, poverty, or poor living conditions, as valid reasons for seeking asylum. Seems like living in a shitty, crime-ridden 3rd world country is not enough to qualify you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whitesnake

Yoshi

May 4, 2005
Germany
www.gaming-universe.de
Oh no problem, I can educate you.

Asylum Seeker was never called an immigrant in the first place, thats why we use 'Aslum seeker' .- Someone that has to flee their country unwillingly due to violence. When they arrive in the country they are a refugee.
Immigrant - someone who voluntary leaves their country to live in another.

But you already knew this.
An immigrant is someone who leaves his country to live in another, independent of the reasons, so an refugee appears to be a special case of an immigrant.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Well lots of the people coming are from Guatemala in the first place...so I guess you just ask where they lived before!

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
The US must give asylum seekers a chance to bring their claims before authorities by law. Under the new agreement, asylum seekers wouldn't have a chance to make their case in the US — instead, any asylum seekers, not only Central Americans, could be sent to Guatemala.

The deal, if signed, would be the latest move by the Trump Administration to limit immigrants entering into the US.

My guess if that it won't hold up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
This is a
The US must give asylum seekers a chance to bring their claims before authorities by law. Under the new agreement, asylum seekers wouldn't have a chance to make their case in the US — instead, any asylum seekers, not only Central Americans, could be sent to Guatemala.

The deal, if signed, would be the latest move by the Trump Administration to limit immigrants entering into the US.

My guess if that it won't hold up.
The United Nations 1951 Convention and 1967 Protocol define a refugee as a person who is unable or unwilling to return to his or her home country, and cannot obtain protection in that country, due to past persecution or a well-founded fear of being persecuted in the future “on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.”

They are not refugees seeking asylum. They are illegal immigrants wanting entrance into a country.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
Nah dude, they’re getting lots of DIVERSITY, so nothing can go wrong.