• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guess Atlus USA's next game reveal

Eusis

And Yggdra Unison as well!

:(
Now that I think about it, the fact all of those were skipped over DOES make the most compelling case for why Gungnir could actually be skipped for once. Well, and the fact it's taking longer than usual, but that'd be the case for Growlanser IV anyway.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Now that I think about it, the fact all of those were skipped over DOES make the most compelling case for why Gungnir could actually be skipped for once.
Except it doesn't, because all of those are spin-offs in the universe of a mainline Dept. Heaven game that wasn't too popular in the west to begin with, while Gungnir is a mainline title.

fates

Still leaning at Gungnir, though. (mostly because I don't want to get my hopes up @ Growlanser IV!)

It's that "4th release" phrasing. Growlanser IV PSP is by no means the 4th release, heck it's even a rerelease of a previous game! Gungnir however is the 4th release in its own little "series". I think this clue really points to that, though the roman numeral definitely conjures Growlanser moreso. Now, saying "4th in the series", THAT would perhaps give Growlanser a chance, but I think 4th "release" all but rules it out.

Next hint is probably gonna be "its a PSP game", "weapon referenced in name", "we localized one of these before". And that image has enough space for 2-3 more clues so they are really gonna milk this one.

Vamphuntr

Still leaning at Gungnir, though. (mostly because I don't want to get my hopes up @ Growlanser IV!)

It's that "4th release" phrasing. Growlanser IV PSP is by no means the 4th release, heck it's even a rerelease of a previous game! Gungnir however is the 4th release in its own little "series". I think this clue really points to that, though the roman numeral definitely conjures Growlanser moreso. Now, saying "4th in the series", THAT would perhaps give Growlanser a chance, but I think 4th "release" all but rules it out.

Next hint is probably gonna be "its a PSP game", "weapon referenced in name", "we localized one of these before". And that image has enough space for 2-3 more clues so they are really gonna milk this one.

Just like Riviera and Yggdra Union were GBA games then ported to PSP, right?

Eusis

Except it doesn't, because all of those are spin-offs in the universe of a mainline Dept. Heaven game that wasn't too popular in the west to begin with, while Gungnir is a mainline title.
True, it's more that there's a blemish on the localization record that could give away further. Still a better spot than Growlanser though, no doubt about that.

It's that "4th release" phrasing. Growlanser IV PSP is by no means the 4th release, heck it's even a rerelease of a previous game!
Gungnir is even more screwed there then given that each of the mainline installments prior to this got ported to the PSP, AND the original versions came here (Riviera aside, GBA's close enough though). At best there's "fourth release on PSP" which would hold true, but going on the series on a whole it'd be the 7th just for localization, nevermind the WSC Riviera or the spin-offs.

fates

Touche, I completely forgot about those.

Welp, I dunno what to think anymore lol. Well played, Atlus. I hope it's both so everyone is happy. Would be quite ugly if Atlus turned this into a fandom war considering they could profit from both sides.

scy

Yeah, I latched onto Gungnir at the start so I didn't raise Growlanser expectations. And here we are now ... :/

And I hope one of the last clues is just "It's a game." Go for the full troll.

Just got an email from Atlus... about Trine 2. :\

I lol'd when I saw that, wondering what twist we had overlooked. Turns out it's unrelated.

...unless...

I don't necessarily think they're that carefully constructed; take the solution and start working backwards to build clues.

That's plausible when there's a little bit of overlap early on, but not so much when there's day after day of clues, all of which past the first fit exactly with the two games in question and nothing else.

scy

That's plausible when there's a little bit of overlap early on, but not so much when there's day after day of clues, all of which past the first fit exactly with the two games in question and nothing else.

Looking back, I'm getting too bogged down in intent as part of it; that is, the clues are intentionally constructed to get these two titles for the trolling aspect. Realistically speaking, a guessing game with only one possible answer from start to finish is pretty boring so they do have to be built in a way to not get the correct answer out immediately. That's pretty much why they use such broad clues.

Though, we have been on just two titles for awhile. Kind of twists the knife a bit more when every clue just keeps pointing at both over and over. What I should have said/meant is that maybe they didn't expect just two titles to be the only possible solutions quite as fast; they have room for seven clues yet it only took two.

Unless, of course, it is meant to be both games, in which case ... probably still a bit fast on narrowing things down but at least the payoff at the end isn't bittersweet.

fates

Though, we have been on just two titles for awhile. Kind of twists the knife a bit more when every clue just keeps pointing at both over and over. What I should have said/meant is that maybe they didn't expect just two titles to be the only possible solutions quite as fast; they have room for seven clues yet it only took two.

I have a feeling that was the idea from the get-go... :/

Cactus

Banned
What I should have said/meant is that maybe they didn't expect just two titles to be the only possible solutions quite as fast; they have room for seven clues yet it only took two.

It seems unlikely to me that the marketing team over at Atlus could ever believe that it would take longer than two, maybe three clues for us to narrow it down to those two games.

If they really wanted to stump us (at least for a bit longer), the order would have probably been something similar to this: made in Japan >> ends with R >> for PSP >> fourth game in the series >> starts with G >> strategy RPG >> reveal

cj_iwakura

Late, but no one's more shocked than me.

Or ecstatic. I don't have any gifs that could effectively convey my happiness, so I'm sure Vamphuntr's got it covered.

Aeana

I figured they'd do the reveal on Friday. Seems really odd to build up and build up and then let a weekend dissolve the hype.

Takao

Banned
I figured they'd do the reveal on Friday. Seems really odd to build up and build up and then let a weekend dissolve the hype.

I'm guessing they didn't want to step on XSEED's SumiOni announcement. Though, XSEED announced that really quickly after the hint...

Volcynika

I'm guessing they didn't want to step on XSEED's SumiOni announcement. Though, XSEED announced that really quickly after the hint...

Not really quickly, more just "we're going to announce something tomorrow. Here's a hint." Sure enough, the announcement came the next day. :p

scy

It seems unlikely to me that the marketing team over at Atlus could ever believe that it would take longer than two, maybe three clues for us to narrow it down to those two games.

If they really wanted to stump us (at least for a bit longer), the order would have probably been something similar to this: made in Japan >> ends with R >> for PSP >> fourth game in the series >> starts with G >> strategy RPG >> reveal

Yeah, they really should have changed the order. Still seems odd that there's a possible seven clues, though. Then again, there's only like four titles they put out in 2011 that haven't come here (Nora and the Time Studio, Gungnir, Growlanser IV, Gloria Union) so it's not like there were really that many titles to guess at from their own titles; getting to any of those is pretty easy just from "Atlus US revealing a new game!" :/

Yeah, it does seem odd. Oh well. Not much we can do about it besides sit and wait, I suppose.

fates

Late, but no one's more shocked than me.

Or ecstatic. I don't have any gifs that could effectively convey my happiness, so I'm sure Vamphuntr's got it covered.

I think it's still a bit early to bust out the celebration... it could be Gungnir.

This could all be a ruse and they are really bringing over Senran Kagura. NichM sure showed great interest in it in the Xseed thread. ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

They are going to stump you, in the sense that I called it pretty early on in this thread ;)

Err... they haven't, really. Atlus has put out literally zero titles matching this description in 2011. In 2010 their sum total of such efforts came down to Hexyz Force (another Sting title) and Shiren the Wanderer back in February. You pretty much have to go back to mid-2009 (when they were putting out stuff like Steambot Chronicles, Steal Princess, Class of Heroes, etc.) to find the last point Atlus was bringing out any meaningful quantity of niche Japanese titles.
I was talking about 2009-2011 so I'd think those titles would be included. And that's still far more niche JRPGs than any kind of SRPG in the past 3 years.

Gah, I got SF3 and Operation Darkness mixed up here. I think both safely qualify as "garbage."
Operation Darkness had a poor camera, but the combat and content was mostly decent and sometimes pretty good. Obtusely calling games that you know little about "garbage" is ridiculous.

Well, I mean, hype is a completely relative word, but c'mon. You don't think Gungnir has more pre-existing fan interest than Luminous Arc 2? Crapware from Success and Idea Factory? Rondo of Swords? I think the fact that Gungnir is getting enough requests on the Atlus forum to annoy people while people pretty much had to look up what some of these other titles even were when they got announced for the US speaks volumes here.
Trying to lump Success' SRPGs in with shovelware like Idea Factory despite knowing little or nothing about those games is only boldly exposing your ignorance about them. I think if Success continued to develop SRPGs they'd go from decent/good games to great, as the potential was definitely there. Now if you want to talk more about those games instead of trying to collectively shit on them (from a position of ignorance, no less) to make Gungnir/Sting look better, I'd prefer that. In any case, a games quality often has little to do with its sales, especially if you value tactics games for their strategy, content, and strategically meaningful depth. Most of the best selling tactics games of the last couple years have been awful from that perspective (FFT, TO, Disgaea, etc.)

There have been just as many or more requests for Luminous Arc 3 on the Atlus forums, actually. It's just the Sting threads keep getting bumped by that obsessed Sting fanboy over there, overinflating its interest level. The Luminous Arc games are poor and bordering on shovelware, but the fan interest is there. Luminous Arc 3 would probably sell just as well as Gungnir, but I doubt Atlus would be pleased with the profits from either of them given how their target market has changed.

Sting isn't typically a known name among the largest SRPG market, the one that only pays attention to Final Fantasy or Tactics Ogre. Atlus's target market in the past few years obviously hasn't been niche JRPG gamers. If they are actually localizing Gungnir, i'd be impressed if they broke 50k sales (assuming they are even printing that many copies). I thought Atlus had moved on from that sort of publishing. I still suspect they are thinking that they can capture some of those 800k+ Tactics Ogre PSP sales, and they'll be sorely disappointed if so. Just trying to add some realism here instead of fanboyism or the desire for localization regardless of sales.

It'll be Gungnir, and I wouldn't be surprised if a 3DS port was trotted out coinciding with the western release alongside the PSP rev. Basically a repeat of what happened for Baroque or Dokapon Kingdom going PS2/Wii.

Why are you still arguing about this when we've decisively proved that your "Atlus is done with SRPGs" theory was wrong and they're bringing over one (or maybe even two) SRPGs?
Why are you setting up strawmen based on things I never said such as "Atlus is done with SRPGs", claiming you "decisively proved the strawman was wrong" and acting like a troll with your quotes? Growlanser is more of an RTS than a traditional SRPG, but w/e. It's clear you're not interested in intelligent or informed discussion anymore.

It's clear you're not interested in intelligent or informed discussion anymore.

There's no real way to engage in a productive conversation with someone who sets up elaborate theories based on scant correlations, then just launches a stream of excuses to explain away every piece of evidence that doesn't fit with those theories. The announcement is exactly what you said it wouldn't be (an SRPG) and you haven't visibly adjusted your position to deal with it, except repeating a completely wild theory about Atlus chasing the TO audience. If you want to admit that the black-and-white model you came in with was flawed and maybe there are more distinct factors that go into these things, maybe we can get somewhere, but so far you are really only interested in arguing your own preconceptions.

Also:

800k+ Tactics Ogre PSP sales

lolwut

I never said it wouldn't be an SRPG. My points about Gungnir stand regardless of a gimmick marketing campaign or whether it's localized. You're again setting up strawmen based on things I've never said. You're talking about "distinct factors" while attributing imaginary quotes and strawmen to me, and also while dismissing my messages as "bunch of random crap".

I thought businesses seeking larger audiences for better sales is called common sense, not "wild theories".

Sorry about the number, I was thinking more in terms of global sales. Still in the hundreds of thousands which is very rare for SRPGs.

fates

800k+ for Tactics Ogre?

I find this hard to believe, even as a global sales number. I know it got around 200k in Japan, but that's about it...

Grimmy

Banned
mjemirzian was just banned on the Atlus forum so he needs a new place to vent, LOL.

Meanwhile, Atlus mod Kakizaki is telling us that fans of Gungnir and/or Growlanser should be happy that they are at least trolling with these two games:

"Anyway, calm down and enjoy the ride. At least a game that you are excited for is being hinted at. Think of all of the other people who aren't even getting a whiff at games they desperately want to see and be glad for this. Sometimes anticipation is the best part."

So it doesn't matter that the games may not come out - at least Atlus gave you a sliver of hope before dashing it away forever!

Top Bottom