• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guess who's developing Diddy Kong Racing? (Hint: Rare \o/)

Thomper

At least this means we won't be getting an Xboy for the coming year, as Rare's handheldteam is hard at work on Diddy Kong Racing, as Cubed3 reports. Interesting...

RSP

Will banjo make the game?

Hope he does, along with TT and that chicken guy.

edit; drumstick

Wow, that is interesting.

Banjo-Kazooie DS up next?

I always wanted a sequel to DKR, even though I prefer the Mario Kart series.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Man DKR was the shit back on N64. It ate MK64 for breakfast, lunch, tea and fucking supper. I hope they have that crazy elephant in the central hub zone again. He was trippin' with his gay "da-da-da-dum-da-da-dum" songs.

If it has WiFi online, I am going to splooge all over this.

Seems like an enhanced port? I think this is the best single-player kart game ever made, I hope they add a few things to the adventure mode.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
that's probably why the game looked a bit shit

edit: actually if it plays like the original, the extras turn out good, and it is online...then it should be great

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rare said:
A few tantalising DKR DS info-bites to keep you going: eight-player single-card and multi-card WiFi play, touch-screen and microphone compatibility, some familiar faces in newly playable form, remodelled and retextured tracks, customisable vehicles, new modes, weapons and challenges, a little something called TT's Wish Races where you can create your very own tracks... and it doesn't end there.

Create your own tracks? Now that's cool.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
This better be online, I'm a little worried the Rare site didn't mention it. You'd think they'd want to promote it if it does.

If it doesn't, I might still get it as unlike a lot of racers, it's single player is excellent.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ant1532 said:
I love how Microsoft is making games for Nintendo.:lol
If MS was smart they'd keep all the characters in there. When a kid wants to play a console Banjo game after discovering him in a DS game he has to ask his parents for an Xbox 360. MS could use their competitor's handheld's to get people hooked on their IP's in order to sell more Xbox 360's. :lol

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
sweet, love DKR!

I'm not so sure I can trust Rare nowadays though... they're just not the same.

here's hoping they don't screw it up.

enemy_of_my_enemy_der_feind_meines_feindes_3564.jpg

Rare made several GBA games after being acquired by MS, I'm surprised anyone is shocked they're making a DS game. They have a handheld team, and I don't think they are going to do PSP games so.......

hahahax

Banned
Is this the definite version then?

If so, cutting out Banjo is a big mistake. Not a good way to keep the trust of the ones who cares about the story.

So, was Diddy ever aided by Banjo in the fight against Wizpig?
Because that was what I was led to believe, for the last 8 years or so. Having Nintendo and Rare suddenly rip out such a vital element to the story is baffling.
Maybe we are supposed to believe that both games coexist in different dimensions. That could work.

This is awesome. Rare got some great graphics out of the N64 - hopefully they can do the same with DS. And Adventure mode rocked!

Yeah, at least this hints that the XBoy is a ways off. It's not friggin necessary!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
hahahax said:
Is this the definite version then?

If so, cutting out Banjo is a big mistake. Not a good way to keep the trust of the ones who cares about the story.

So, was Diddy ever aided by Banjo in the fight against Wizpig?
Because that was what I was led to believe, for the last 8 years or so. Having Nintendo and Rare suddenly rip out such a vital element to the story is baffling.
Maybe we are supposed to believe that both games coexist in different dimensions. That could work.
Are you for real?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
From what I gather, it's a port with no online...

I guess I'll have to go read up on how it was better than MK64 again, because MK64 was in my top 3 favourite N64 games although I never owned the system...

I did actually play DKR, but it was so little that I don't even remember...

Creating your own tracks sound hot though...

Danthrax said:
=O

WHY did Microsoft pay so much for Rare, again?

To make money off Nintendo, DUHHHHHH...

Handhelds aren't competition for consoles...

Cheebs

Skilotonn said:
From what I gather, it's a port with no online...

I guess I'll have to go read up on how it was better than MK64 again, because MK64 was in my top 3 favourite N64 games although I never owned the system...

I did actually play DKR, but it was so little that I don't even remember...

Creating your own tracks sound hot though...

To make money off the competition, DUHHHHHH...

Handhelds aren't competition...

It's online. Press site says so.

Pellham

Banned
if Rare is developing, does that mean Microsoft is funding a Nintendo published game? Hahahaha.

They probably have to cut Banjo and Conker out since Microsoft owns those properties.

Furoba

Well at least Rare's somewhat recent GBA games, and now this, earn Microsoft some money.

Sorry, I had to say this. :lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Stin said:
What the heck??? Microsoft making games for Nintendo??
Not only that, but they are forbidding themselves to use their own properties in this game ;D.

Thanks to the level editor, it's just as good as a new game :).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Stin said:
What the heck??? Microsoft making games for Nintendo??
I guess you missed the following GBA games?

Donkey Kong Country (Nintendo published)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (Nintendo published)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (Nintendo published)
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (THQ published)
Banjo Pilot (THQ published)
It's Mr. Pants (THQ published)
Sabre Wulf (THQ published)

MS stratagy = help Nintendo slowly kill the PSP, then move in for the kill and announce the xboy. then transfer all it's popular DS properties and fanbases over to the Xboy.

it's quite smart really.

Err ... I doubt Diddy Kong Racing on DS will stop someone from buying a PSP. Completely different audiences.

The reason why MS is allowing this is because they need to recoup the investment they made on Rare, and Rare's games simply do sell well on Nintendo platforms, and DS/GBA is the one platform they can support without a conflict of interest.

Just looking at Rare's HQ, I'm guessing its not a cheap studio to run on a day-to-day basis, especailly since Rare doesn't produce many games.

Top Bottom