• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 is coming to Steam in November

Bullet Club

Guild Wars 2, as well as all of its expansions, is making its way to Steam for the first time later this year.

Guild Wars 2 has been around for a long time. It's hard to believe, but NCSoft and ArenaNet have been keeping their beloved MMORPG sequel alive for eight years. Now it's time to expand the game's horizons even farther. To this point, Guild Wars 2 had been playable through its own separate launcher. But later this year, Guild Wars 2 will officially be available on Steam.

Starting in November, the full Guild Wars 2 package will be available through Valve's storefront. This includes both the Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire expansions. It also includes the full Living World narrative adventure, which is currently in the midst of The Icebrood Saga.

Now, it should be noted that there are a couple of caveats to this deal. If you have an existing Guild Wars 2 account, you won't be able to convert it to a Steam account. Likewise, you won't be able to take a Guild Wars 2 account built on Steam and convert it to any non-Steam account. However, if you're an all-new player coming into Guild Wars 2 for the first time, this might be the deal you're waiting for. And if you're new to Guild Wars 2, there's a lot for you to sink your teeth into. Beyond the full Living World narrative, there are a multitude of events to take part in, as well as fun side diversions, including Beetle Racing and the game's most recent addition: Skimmers!

There's also a bright future ahead for Guild Wars 2. The rest of the Icebrood Saga is set to play out in the months ahead. ArenaNet has also noted that the game's third expansion is currently in development.

We'll continue to keep our eye on Guild Wars 2 and what's next for the development team. In the meantime, you can check out the all-new product listing for Guild Wars 2 on Steam.

Source: Shack News

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Awesome news

Now, it should be noted that there are a couple of caveats to this deal. If you have an existing Guild Wars 2 account, you won't be able to convert it to a Steam account. Likewise, you won't be able to take a Guild Wars 2 account built on Steam and convert it to any non-Steam account. However, if you're an all-new player coming into Guild Wars 2 for the first time, this might be the deal you're waiting for. And if you're new to Guild Wars 2, there's a lot for you to sink your teeth into. Beyond the full Living World narrative, there are a multitude of events to take part in, as well as fun side diversions, including Beetle Racing and the game's most recent addition: Skimmers!

Terrible news

Great Hair

Banned
GW2 lasted for like two months. They should have put this on consoles long time ago. It works best with that action-cam mod released years ago (havent played in like 5).

Was fun in short burst.
GW1 is leagues better than GW2, in every aspect. Among the dumbest, worst campaigns, final boss fights of all time (if you played as a human).

Full of drama, abuse, bad work place ... how did NCSoft not drop this crap? Their 25 year old korean mmorpg is outselling GW2 since 2012. Are they even making any money?

"I swung a sword, i swung a sword again"
WE DONT WANT PLAYERS TO GRIND ... #lol GW2 is prolly the worst offender of this "addiction".
"we don´t like raids, we dont need mounts"
"here have some raids and mounts"

Arena Net is prolly winning the "worst studio of the past decade" category. Others contenders 343i, Crytek, Bend Games, EA in general.

Last edited:
I always felt this never being on Steam limited its sales. I know a big part of the reason is Valve's policy on taking a cut of cash shop sales, and the in-game store drives a lot of profit for the company.

It's kind of lame that you can't link your Steam account to your existing GW2 account. But whatever. Just add the game by itself to your Steam library.

One note: Skimmers aren't new, but they are being given underwater travel.

JoduanER2

I tried one time a long time ago with my old crappy pc, it was entertaining. I was looking for a good multiplayer game so is a good time for me to try again.

mcz117chief

GW2 lasted for like two months. They should have put this on consoles long time ago. It works best with that action-cam mod released years ago (havent played in like 5).

Was fun in short burst.
GW1 is leagues better than GW2, in every aspect. Among the dumbest, worst campaigns, final boss fights of all time (if you played as a human).

Full of drama, abuse, bad work place ... how did NCSoft not drop this crap? Their 25 year old korean mmorpg is outselling GW2 since 2012. Are they even making any money?

"I swung a sword, i swung a sword again"
WE DONT WANT PLAYERS TO GRIND ... #lol GW2 is prolly the worst offender of this "addiction".
"we don´t like raids, we dont need mounts"
"here have some raids and mounts"

Arena Net is prolly winning the "worst studio of the past decade" category. Others contenders 343i, Crytek, Bend Games, EA in general.
Couldn't agree more. I still play GW1 to this day, it is such an amazing game. Incredible story, art direction, music is just heavenly, gameplay is actually challenging etc.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I ended my time with GW 2 about a year ago. I remember doing big giveaways and various hide and seek games to get rid of my scarce resources, stuff and money (around 600 gold pieces). it was really funny, good time.

Now give me Guild Wars 3

61dd1e7ca4fddb2fedf6d621a8205e18.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I ended my time with GW 2 about a year ago. I remember doing big giveaways and various hide and seek games to get rid of my scarce resources, stuff and money (around 600 gold pieces). it was really funny, good time.

Now give me Guild Wars 3

61dd1e7ca4fddb2fedf6d621a8205e18.gif
Would take guild wars 3 as well

Top Bottom