• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Heh, you know if they wanted to go really nuts, they should make these guys unable to take bleed damage, have to spend at least 6 hours a day in the sun, unable to be killed with melee weapons, and take triple damage from fire.

Complistic

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Heh, you know if they wanted to go really nuts, they should make these guys unable to take bleed damage, have to spend at least 6 hours a day in the sun, unable to be killed with melee weapons, and take triple damage from fire.

eh, they can bleed, it just better look like sap.

gunbo13

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Leaves have veins in them. They'll bleed sap. The Sylvari likely receive nourishment from the surrounding plant-life, like the great tree. They are plant vampires. Fire does normal damage cause...magic? Water shield? Self-produced bio-genetic coating to preserve plant cells?

It all works out I tells ya.

Complistic said:
Beaten...

DeliciousDoc said:
why wouldn't they be able to take melee damage? They aren't immaterial (not to mention the imbalance aspect).
Did you ever try to whack a pile of leaves with an axe? I'm an expert...and it doesn't work well.

Morkins

Banned
gunbo13 said:
Leaves have veins in them. They'll bleed sap. The Sylvari likely receive nourishment from the surrounding plant-life, like the great tree. They are plant vampires. Fire does normal damage cause...magic? Water shield? Self-produced bio-genetic coating to preserve plant cells?

It all works out I tells ya.

Beaten...

Did you ever try to whack a pile of leaves with an axe? I'm an expert...and it doesn't work well.

A living plant is actually quite difficult to burn(massive stockpiles of water stored up). Probably even more so than an animal. The difference is that plants don't move so they can't very well avoid fires. Except, these plants can move.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tree video looks beautiful. I still can't believe they're so faithful at recreating vivid concept art. What a talented bunch.

Complistic said:
Aha, but do you go with pine sap, which adds a slow debuff, or milky sap, which adds a poison debuff?

DeliciousDoc said:
why wouldn't they be able to take melee damage? They aren't immaterial (not to mention the imbalance aspect).
Actually what I meant to say was that they couldn't be killed with melee weapons. Say, you take them to 0 hps and they are only incapacitated for a time, then pop back up if you don't finish them with magic or something.

Even funnier, if you drop them to 0 hps with a sword, they get chopped in half and when they revive the other half regenerates into a temporary clone pet.

As far as the fire, maybe they'd be more susceptible to poison or ice?

Also, no I'm not serious about any of this ;p

Complistic

Instro said:
Damn the variety of colors in the grove is really nice. I think I may very well have to make the Sylvari my starting race just to explore the grove.

Once you do the main tutorial for your race you're free to go to anyone of the 5 major cities through the asura gates located in each. So you can still make that charr or human and have the first thing you explore be the grove.

Also, as cool as the grove is, Divinity's Reach is pretty spectacular as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMNwrF8rZ8

gunbo13

Morkins said:
A living plant is actually quite difficult to burn(massive stockpiles of water stored up). Probably even more so than an animal. The difference is that plants don't move so they can't very well avoid fires. Except, these plants can move.
Still more flammable then chain mail.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Actually what I meant to say was that they couldn't be killed with melee weapons. Say, you take them to 0 hps and they are only incapacitated for a time, then pop back up if you don't finish them with magic or something.

Even funnier, if you drop them to 0 hps with a sword, they get chopped in half and when they revive the other half regenerates into a temporary clone pet.

As far as the fire, maybe they'd be more susceptible to poison or ice?
Somebody needs a nap.

Instro

Complistic said:
Once you do the main tutorial for your race you're free to go to anyone of the 5 major cities through the asura gates located in each. So you can still make that charr or human and have the first thing you explore be the grove.

Also, as cool as the grove is, Divinity's Reach is pretty spectacular as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMNwrF8rZ8
Ah right, and yeah Divinty's Reach is very nice. Seems like they are doing a good job creating some impressive environments.

gunbo13

Instro said:
Ah right, and yeah Divinty's Reach is very nice. Seems like they are doing a good job creating some impressive environments.
GW1 still has some of the best environments in a game ever. Even outposts which obviously got minimal treatment compared to the large cities, look better then the majority of the game market. I don't know how they do it but their environmental artists are on another level (way better then character art IMO, GW2 included).

I <3 Kaineng & LA

Wow, this is a truly great looking game. I wouldn't even think it was an MMO.

Interest piqued for sure, especially with the no monthly fee.

BrettWeir

Is there much else known about the crafting system than what is in the OP?

I can't wait to see what they come up with for the CE. Paid $150 for TOR CE. Would gladly pay more than that for GW2 if it only came with a GW2 themed toilet paper roll.

and the soundtrack

Jira

They continue to astound me at what they are capable of artistically and dammit Jeremy Soule is just masterful. I want this SO badly.

Jira

BrettWeir said:
Thanks again Jira.

Any mention of actual items? I'm mainly interested in the food as I find food/apothecary usually carries more throughout a characters play than anything else (as you can always use buffs).

Nope, nothing extensive yet.

Jira

A Sylvari lore interview:

http://www.talktyria.net/2011/08/11/sylvari-lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee-kristen-perry/

Sylvari Lore
Q: Can you tell us anything about new about the Nightmare Court? Like how many of the sylvari have joined (population percentage, maybe)? Can players choose to be a part of it, or are there any related titles? Who started or leads it?
Ree: The Nightmare Court is going to have a lot of coverage in my blog post for Sylvari Week, so I don’t want to spoil too much of that! I can answer your direct questions, though. The population of the Nightmare Court is roughly ten to fifteen percent of the sylvari. As with all enemy groups (the Sons of Svanir, the Flame Legion), players may not join the Nightmare Court. The Nightmare Court began during the time of the Secondborn sylvari (the second generation of sylvari born from the tree, about six or seven years after the Firstborn). The Nightmare Court’s current leader is the Grand Duchess Faolain, who is a Firstborn. She converted to the Nightmare Court and was not part of its original inception.

Q: Was the sylvari’s birth into the world a response to the threat of the dragons like they believe? Or something else?
Ree: The sylvari believe they were created by the Tree because of the dragons. I can’t tell you anything they don’t know!

Q: When they were first born into the world, how did the other races initially react? Were they generally welcomed or did they have some sort of proving of themselves they had to do? Was there anybody there when the first group awoke?
Ree: There were no other races at the Pale Tree when the Firstborn awoke. They began to explore the world, and first found the asura, who saw the sylvari as a particularly new species of flora—test subjects, at best. After that particularly rude awakening into the social environment of Tyria, the sylvari were far more cautious. Luckily, the second race they met were humans. The sylvari already knew of them because the Pale Tree held the memories of Ronan and his encampment so many years ago. That was a far more positive encounter, and taught the sylvari that there are good people in the world as well as bad.

The sylvari did have to prove themselves – they still do! It’s only been twenty-five years, and many of the other races don’t wholly accept them. The sylvari struggle to discover their place in the world, and to forge those relationships. They are very much the ‘outsiders’ in Tyria, and they face a world that is unsure about their nature and their capabilities as a race. It’s a fascinating story to tell!

Q: Are there any sort of familial systems for this race? Are newborn sylvari taken under the wing of older, more experienced sylvari or do they go off on their own right away?
Ree: The Firstborn are seen as ‘elders,’ wise counselors and mentors. Four of the Firstborn lead the various cycles, the internal factions of the sylvari (Dawn, Noon, Dusk, Night). Those four, in particular, are seen as authority figures, and run the government of the Grove. The other Firstborn are also seen as guides and leaders, and are given a great deal of respect because of it, but these four ‘elders’ actively turn their attention to the day-to-day running of the city and the political interaction with other races on behalf of the sylvari.

The sylvari don’t have ‘family’ in the way that humans, norn, or other races do, but they very much consider their cycle to be sort of an extended family; a group in which they are welcome and to which they owe a certain allegiance. They see this as a sort of family in the way a charr sees their Legion as a sort of family.

One unusual thing that you might not know – there are sylvari twins on occasion! Once in a while, a pod will flower upon the Pale Tree, and there will be two sylvari inside instead of just one. These ‘twins’ tend to exhibit a greater empathy toward one another, and are usually very close. The visions they experienced before awakening also usually seem linked, as if they were walking through the Dream of Dreams together.

Q: How early in the game do we run into Caithe? Is she around for new sylvari players, like Logan is for humans, or will she appear later?
Ree: Right off the bat! Caithe is among the first people that a newly created PC sylvari will meet. And, man, does her new model look amazing. I’ll admit, I begged Kristen for the cat-tail dreads…

Caithe will play a large part of a sylvari PC’s storyline, in the same way that Rytlock will for the charr player, Eir for the norn, and so on. The sylvari players will be the only ones, I think, that truly understand her perspective – because the sylvari that think and feel very differently from other races in Tyria.

Q: We know from the novels that they can eat food like the other races, but do they need to? Can they get energy by other means, like from the sun?
Ree: They need to eat and drink. Sylvari biology is very different from humans (and they can rest in the sun to feel rejuvenated), but they do have the same functional needs as most mammalian species.

Q: Being new to Tyria, they don’t seem to have the same sense of humor we’re accustomed to. What sorts of things do sylvari do for fun? What would they find humorous or entertaining?

Ree: Sylvari sense of humor has come a long way since the Firstborn awakened. At first, they didn’t understand humor too well, but over the years, the race has begun to show a sense of fun. They have a fairly dry wit, and enjoy letting others ‘get the joke’ after a moment or two. Some of them are mischievous and pull pranks – especially when they are newly born from the Tree.

For fun, sylvari do the things other people do – go swimming, explore new places, try new things, spend time with friends, tell stories, put on plays, and sing songs. An individual sylvari might enjoy fighting so much that she thinks weapons training is ‘fun,’ while another might currently have an obsession with cooking.

Q: What significance do the seasonal traits hold, if any? Does it affect their personality at all, or is it purely aesthetic?
Ree: The cycles affect sylvari personality, but you could also say that human social strata (gentry, streets, commoner) affects personality. I go into a great amount of detail on this in my blog post, so I can’t be too descriptive here without being redundant! There are aesthetics for various ‘seasonal’ appearances, and we encourage players to choose appearances related to their cycles, but the two are not forcibly connected.

Q: What was the motivation behind the re-design? Was it because of player reactions or were you guys not happy with how the first iteration turned out?
Ree: I asked Kristen Perry for her help on this one:

Kristen: The sylvari race always needed to be noble, beautiful plant people. Previous designs took into account many different proportions of those three tenets, but not really as much of a balance of all three together. The more diverse and deep the lore of the race became, the more we realized we really wanted a visual that matched, so I began developing my new direction on my own time while we were preparing for gamescom last year.

The main key to the design was developing an obvious anatomy that clearly described the race as plant rather than an offshoot of human. However, because the race tightly relates to the essence of human due to the Pale Tree’s influences from Ronan, the overall form has a human silhouette. But if you look more closely, you’ll see the forms are really quite alien. They are a collection of abstract notions the Pale Tree had about what made up the human, as she really only saw the surface. They are a tree’s interpretation of humans.

In exploring the anatomy, you can see a lot of different details. The forearms, for example, are not a human arm with leaves tacked on top, but rather a shape created by many stem tendons and long leaves coiling around one another to create the structure. The faces of the sylvari are not restricted by the anatomy of the skull as a human would, but are created by layers upon layers of plant materials that press together, forming the illusion of anatomy. On the outside, they are beautiful and elegant. Looking closer, you’ll see how different they really are. I hope everyone enjoys exploring the details!

General Lore Questions
Q: Any more details on “Sea of Sorrows”?

Ree: Not at this time. Look! Air!

Q: When Zhaitan awoke, was it because someone/something woke him or did he just naturally awaken (aka: cycle of awakening)?

Ree: There are no apparent signs that anyone or anything ‘woke up’ Zhaitan, nor do scholars of Tyria believe that it, or any of the awakenings, was a triggered event. For one thing, the dragons’ awakening began 250 years ago and has slowly and methodically continued since then. It would be very difficult for anyone to have been around to trigger each over that large a period of time.

Q: It is said all dwarves who participated in invoking the Great Dwarf’s power to battle the Great Destroyer were turned to stone. Are there dwarves then who are not stone out in the world somewhere still (assuming then there were some dwarves who did not participate)? If so, how are interactions between them and their stone brethren?
Ree: All of the dwarves eventually participated in the ritual. There are no non-stone dwarves in Tyria.

Q: Are there any other minor / non-playable races we will learn about, such as the tengu?
Ree: You get to experience several stories about the minor races. I’ll spoil this much – one of the later storylines that players can experience in the game has to do with various minor races, such as the ogres, the quaggan, the skritt, or other races. Through that storyline, you spend quite a bit of time with a minor race and learn a great deal about them.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to answer our questions!
Ree: Absolutely!

Jira

http://www.guildwars.com/events/tradeshows/gc2007/gcspeech.php

I just gave this a read and I was absolutely FLOORED. ANet really gets it, granted Jeff Strain is no longer with the company, he was still there during the initial development of GW2 and yet his philosophy is something the entire company shares as a whole. It really shows with the quality of GW1 and even more so in GW2. The amount of polish you can see in GW2 already is just astounding and it's not even in public beta. Every single person at a dev studio looking to make an MMO needs to read this, I see it as required reading. Hell, I see it as required reading for us gamers as a whole.

PewPewK

Jira said:
http://www.arena.net/blog/dream-and-nightmare

This is too much text to post in one single thread so the link will have to do. So now that Sylvari week is finished, what do you think we'll see first? A blog on PVP, the 8th profession, a blog about guilds, Asura week, either of the Asuran/Sylvari starting areas?

Well next up is Gamescon and PAX which includes playble Asura, Sylvari, Charr Stater area, PvP, and character customization, so if I had to guess what the next blog was gonna be I'd guess PvP.

Guess who's gonna play GW2 at gamescom
icon_mrgreen.gif

(one of the top reasons why I'm going there)

tehbible

this game is gonna be nuts. I used to play Guild Wars nonstop. Eventually ended up in a top tier guild, only to lose to War Machine.

Rad-

tehbible said:
this game is gonna be nuts. I used to play Guild Wars nonstop. Eventually ended up in a top tier guild, only to lose to War Machine.

War Machine was pretty boss at one point.

My old guild was having a long win streak and got to top 25 until we faced iQ and got dominated. They were the first guild to run dual smite and we didn't really have anything to counter that with.

One of the iQ guys congratulated me as being a good mesmer after the match. I felt pretty badass at that time, iQ was pretty much one of the top guilds back then.

Morkins

Banned
tehbible said:
Hehe.... My guild beat War Machine. Then got brutally disassembled and humiliated by The Last Pride(They flawlessed a near perfect R-Spike in a straight up 25+ minute fight. Seriously, every spike was less than 0.3s... Soul Wedding = God Among Monks). Wasn't a tournament, but still.

Sophuis

Neo Member
Nolimit_SS said:
icon_mrgreen.gif

This. I will stand in line as long as it takes, but I'm gonna get me some Asura Necromancer goodness next friday.

Gotta say, though, I was with them all throughout Sylvari week, right up until that lore post.
Too bad. Ree Soesbee's pretty foxy, but that is some seriously bad writing. Both technically - adverbs out the wazoo - and as far as development is concerned. The bad dude with the ridiculous name had a point about morality and outside influences, then skip ahead and his organization is pure evil for the hell of it. And for an organization that's all about ridding their population of outside influences, what gives with calling yourself a court, with knights, dukes and duchesses?

Think I'll pass on the plant people after all.

Keasar

Nolimit_SS said:
icon_mrgreen.gif

Goddamnit I wanna go to. :(

Here's hoping to that ArenaNet considers visiting Dreamhack this winter.

Morkins

Banned
Leaks have begun...

I give you a screenshot of part of the WvWvW map

wvwvw.jpeg

Official stance seems to be that it is OK to discuss it since it has leaked, but anyone who is involved in any testing is breaking the NDA by releasing it...
Kvinna said:
Just to let you guys know, we do not condone leaking information that's currently under the NDA, ever. Questions about what has already been exposed will not be answered and we will be taking a more forceful stance against anyone that decides that the NDA does not matter.

Edit: Sorry, I'm editing this because I don't agree with what I previously wrote. It was a hasty response after waking up to see a bunch of PM's, reports and other communications.

You guys are free to discuss what has already been leaked. We don't want to stop you from doing that. The information is out there so why not talk about it?

Anyway, the above screenshot is basically part of the center map in WvWvW. The overall game will take place on 4 "maps" that people are moving between. There is the central map, then three outer "Home" maps.

What is shown in that screenshot is only part of the central map. There is basically a fog of war on areas not explored by the player, and most of the map wasn't explored by the player at that point...
wvwvwedit.jpg

Here is a sketch/theory on what may be in the unexplored regions
2dhblhj.gif

So, the screenshot is basically a third of one of the four maps. So, it isn't even close to the full size of the map... Players go through a portal to get into the other zones, which will have their own maps, and the entire battle plays across the four zones. This is definitely where most of the fighting will happen given that it is the central map, but that isn't to say that you won't see fighting in the other zones.

For reference of scale, if it is using the same proportions that the previous maps have been using, then Castle Bailey is roughly the same size as Lion's Arch or Ironforge(WoW), both of which are pretty large.

Other pieces of information coming from the source of the leak...
- There are three teams; Blue, Red and Green
- The castle is in the centre of the map. To the north of the castle, but not visible on the released screenshot, is the Red team's base
- In order to see the darkened areas on the map, you must explore those areas
- Each team has access to a waypoint to their home base and to other significant areas of the map when you take control of them. For example the keep and castle should provide a waypoint once captured
- Supplies are used to make siege weapons. Helping out the NPCs at the Lumber and Mine camps will provide your team with these supplies
- There are small NPC towns located on the map. Helping them will enable them to aid your team. For example they will attack the enemy keeps, mines etc.

We also don't know that this is the entire central map... There may be more space extending out beyond the portals with other strategic points.

It also may be a reduced scale map for use at upcoming Conventions or press events(obviously, having a map designed for thousands that can only be played by hundreds wouldn't work). We don't really have any information or context given that this is a leak.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's everything I imagined Battleground to be, but Blizzard never delivered.

MMOOTF.

Orayn

Holy effing ess haych. Just reading about WvWvW makes me feel like more and more of a PvPer! I just can't get over how HUGE it'll be... It brings back warm memories of Star Wars Galaxies and my time in the Planetside Reserves. Largescale PvP interaction is a special kind of fustercluck that few games can provide, and that I really haven't been getting enough of lately.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that MY BODY IS READY!

Sophuis

Neo Member
I usually hate PvP, especially this large scale stuff where one faction tends to outnumber the other. But there's no factions here, just server versus server.

I am so there.

Also, if I remember correctly, Colin Johanson mentioned in a recent QnA that players can enter these areas at any level - something to do with players scaling to the level of the content - you can level up through PvP, and there's dynamic events going on in PvP maps as well, so if you want a break from slaying elv-- erh, Sylvari, you can just do some quest chains and still be helping the cause.

Once again, I am so there.

Orayn

Sophuis said:
I usually hate PvP, especially this large scale stuff where one faction tends to outnumber the other. But there's no factions here, just server versus server.

I am so there.

Also, if I remember correctly, Colin Johanson mentioned in a recent QnA that players can enter these areas at any level - something to do with players scaling to the level of the content - you can level up through PvP, and there's dynamic events going on in PvP maps as well, so if you want a break from slaying elv-- erh, Sylvari, you can just do some quest chains and still be helping the cause.

Once again, I am so there.
I'm just hoping the maps are big enough to provide a nice sense of scale, but have enough funnels, choke points, and key locations that the battles grow to involve at least a dozen players. Large-scale conflict is all well and good, but it's always a bit of a disappointment when the actual fights are small. We'll know more when this gets demo'd at PAX, I guess. I'm just longing for the lovely mayhem of huge groups of cunning, deadly characters all vying for the same objective. THAT is what ArenaNet can inject right into my veins.

etiolate

Banned
I'm a little worried about PvP on that large of a scale, but if they give me GvG and a Halls equivalent then I'll be happy. A small quickmatch option would also be good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The main problem with large scale PvP is how to manage population imbalance. They can do it with Team-size caps, with scaling or with NPCs (which is reasonable considering the Hero AI tech).

And since it's WvWvW, time zones might be a factor as well.

Personally I'm in favor of scaling or NPCs. No one likes being locked out because their side has too many people.

Morkins

Banned
etiolate said:
I'm a little worried about PvP on that large of a scale, but if they give me GvG and a Halls equivalent then I'll be happy. A small quickmatch option would also be good.
Structured PvP will be for you. And you will have more info in a few days.

Top Bottom